DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

WOLF4GW
Page 2 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 21
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:57 pm
   Subject: Re: WOLF4GW
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Great, I just fixed the "silence bug" in VDMSound Mr Green
Though I still have to have a deeper look at it, as there are still strange sound "knockouts" which probably are the real cause of this problem.
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:12 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Wow, SO MANY people who posted something here, that's SO motivating to throw away so much time for this project instead of learning for my next exam Very Happy ... Surprised

Anyways, I finally managed to get rid of the sound problems. The reason for the crackled sounds in VDMSound was that the addresses and lengths which were sent to the DMA controller, were NOT always accepted. Sometimes the old values just stayed in there, so it started to play the sound at the wrong location and with the wrong length, most times cutting away some pieces which caused the "crackling". The fix now consists of both a patch for the wolf engine and a patch for VDMSound. So for VDMSound it now runs quite good (still the gattling gun doesn't sound perfect), but I don't know if it works for a real Soundblaster or DOSBox or XP's emulation anymore.

Here's a new version which also continues the songs in the game where you left them (these positions are also saved in the savegames now). Fast forwarding to the correct place slows down the loading process though and strangely sometimes the music plays quite fast at the begining after that... Included is also the VDMSound patch with an installation note for it. This may cause problems with other games although the only noticable change should be more debug infos (when enabled) and a synchronized "DMA stop transfer" for the DSP commands 0xd9 and 0xda...

http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uvaue/chaos/wolf4gw2.zip

As I said it would be especially interesting, if the sound still works for Win98, DOSBox and XP.
Thanks Wink
TexZK
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:49 am

Sorry Ripper, I was so excited to test the new version but the ZIP seems to be corrupted... I've downloaded it twice and PowerArchiver says it's bad. Evil or Very Mad

Please update it! Too Cool
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:20 pm

Oh shit!! I accidentally compressed the stuff into a RAR archive with a ZIP file name... Embarassed
And as WinRAR was able to open the file (even with the wrong extension) without any problems I didn't notice this, I'm sorry...
The file has been updated!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:07 pm

Ripper - Working with a friend, I *finally* got the modem of my better computer running, so I'll try to test this thing out on my machine in the next few days. Gonna be four days or so before I get everything downloaded and installed, but at least I got WolfenDoom II running with the standard sounds and everything, so that's a good sign ... Thumbs Up
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:15 am

I have to take a look at the source code, since you took out some ASMs, windows port is now much easier to make.

Hmm... *Thinks of mingw and dev-cpp*

Edit: A windows port would open up the world of multiplayer... *thinks of RakNet*
And mp3 music, and hi/truecolor modes... *thinks of allegro and fmod*

Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:49 pm

Wow. I just installed Watcom 1.3, opened IDE.exe (in binnt), opened your wolf3d project, then pressed Make All, and presto... instant exe! I tried changing some things around as a test, and they worked. That was so much easier than I remember trying to get wolf3d to compile under Borland for the first time. Smile

I also tried your new exe, and I see that you fixed the "screen turns black when you press the End Game option" bug in the 09-16 Source release. I always wondered about those black lines flickering when holding down the Pause key, and it's cool that you fixed that. Those sound numbers when you press S and the coloured dots on the top left of the screen were interesting. I eventually figured out that the yellow dot only appears when you press LShift (relating to keyboard paranoia?), that the purple dot appears when a sound is being played, and the green/red dots are like a "stop and go" kind of thing - having something to do with sound prorities or if the sound can be overwritten by another sound (though I'm not exactly sure about those two; what is the correct way for them to behave?). No idea what happened with PC Speaker sounds going too fast before, all your exes old and new seem to play them fine at the moment. Having the music keep it's position was quite the experience!

Ripper wrote:
OK, here we go: Please applaud a bit for Chris, who solved the "bug quiz" Mr Green Pizza

Sweet. I think I had quite an advantage there, as we were sort of online at the same time on a regular school/work day; so that didn't really give other people much time to answer first - lol. It was my first time with the exe though, after many people already tried it, so I guess it was kinda fair. I'll accept your pizza! Thanks. Very Happy

Ripper wrote:
The problem with the savegames is, that they include addresses of the state structures and of the actor objects. Addresses in memory!

Haha, yes... wild stuff. Not sure if knew, but Adam started a thread about this once, maybe you'll find it interesting:

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=3190

Cool to read about some of your own situations, and it's fun analyzing how you're handling those pointers in your WOLF4GW code.

Ripper wrote:
Hm, I didn't try <Tab> at the start together with "goobers" to record a demo yet. Does it still not work?

Ah, I thought I had goobers enabled, but I really didn't! It looks like none of your exes will let me use parameters at all (goobers, nowait, tedlevel) without completely bombing out on my computer, and the debugging codes actually worked because they work here without goobers. I had to delete the "&& MS_CheckParm("goobers")" above "RecordDemo ()" so that I could record the demos, but the feature does work. It's nice to get aquainted with Tab-T again with your huge memory addresses. No idea why I can't use parameters, either way I do it (going into command prompt and typing "wolf3d -goobers", "wolf3d hi", etc. or doing it from a pif) just bombs me out at the signon screen; with both the two exes that you released, and any that I make myself from your source code with Watcom. Bug or feature?!?! Heh.

There's more I wanted to say, but I should really get some sleep now. This is looking great man. Pure wolf3d with no 64k memory restrictions!
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:14 pm

@Tricob: I'm looking forward to your comments ;D

@Codetech84: Well there's still much bound to the "ModeX" (320x200x256 using 4 bitplanes) which would need to be ported. But this isn't really a problem as you just have to change all VGAMAPMASK + offset calculation with y*80+(x>>2) to offset calculation via y*320+x
For the graphics in VGAGRAPH to work, you'd just need to swap a few columns.
It shouldn't be such a big deal to port it to Win32 anymore Mr Green
Though Hi- and Truecolor modes are also quite possible with DOS4GW (better than the also possible variant with simple DOS), but again Windows may create even more problems (think of those NOLFB (no linear frame buffer) patches which make VESA programming in protected mode quite useless, as it's as bad as in DOS then..... also it seems as newer video cards don't support VESA anymore... very strange... perhaps SVGA modes would do the trick, but that would need some deeper investigation)

@Chris: Strange Mr Green Compiling worked without problems?? That's not possible!! Mr Green
The pause key fix is mentioned in "Keyboard paranoia".
*g* The yellow dot is indeed for the left shift, green indicates that there are no other digi segments to be played, red indicates that there is at least one other one.
All those dot's aren't really needed anymore as the related stuff is solved (as far as I know).
Hm, strange. Perhaps your PC speaker was ill the last time?

Chris wrote:
Having the music keep it's position was quite the experience!

I had a look at that after I saved in one level so many times (for testing perposes of course *cough*) that the begining of that levels music was begining to annoy me Mr Green
Yeah the pizza is well deserved ;D

That thread you mentioned is exactly about that problem, and the solution I found should be perfectly applyable to the original Wolf. This should greatly improve beta testing!

Thanks for making me notice that parameter bug. There even are two sources for this bug:
1. A bug in the Watcom compiler not being able to distinguish char *(*)[] from char *[]
(EDIT: OK, seems like this is not a compiler bug, but something extremely confusing about C/C++ concerning arrays and function parameters in contrast to function variables... I don't get it...)
2. US_CheckParm depends on a null terminated list of strings for the possible parameters, but the ParmStrings field in ID_US_1.C[PP] itself is NOT null terminated. In original wolf this seems to be OK by chance, but here it wasn't anymore.
Now all the parameter stuff should work without problems.

Chris wrote:
There's more I wanted to say, but I should really get some sleep now. This is looking great man. Pure wolf3d with no 64k memory restrictions!

*lol* I'm up far too late most of the days. Currently when I go to bed my wife almost has to stand up already... Not the best time rhythm I could choose...
But thanks for your detailed feedback!
Oh, a small example for Wolf without 64k restriction is the cloud tutorial with a 512x512 cloud texture (=256k). This would make the clouds a little less repeating. Making it more detailed probably doesn't make much sense with these palette restrictions.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:05 pm

Hmmm ... I bet there'll be a *lot* more TCs out there with 128x128 images now ... Geek
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:15 pm

Here's a new release of both a exe and the source.
Changes:
- Fixed parameter crashes
- Perhaps improved AdLib latency a bit (removed some cli/sti pairs)
- Fixed quickload black frame and music
- Some cleanup

EXE release: http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uvaue/chaos/wolf4gw3.zip
Source release: http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uvaue/chaos/wolf4gwsrc_050923.zip

Both releases contain the VDMSound patch (I made the text file a little bit more detailed)

I noticed one buffer overflow when I played a few hours again, which caused a pixel column to be displayed wrong (probably a sintable entry or pixangle has been overwritten). But I wasn't able to reproduce it... I hate such bugs. If anyone finds a way to easily reproduce it (i.e. save game where you have to do one step forward and it happens Mr Green), I would REALLY appreciate it Neutral

Also I still got no feedback from someone with a original SoundBlaster or DOSBox, so I don't know whether it only works with VDMSound or not.
Btw, is it normal, that WinXP's integrated Soundblaster emulation doesn't support AdLib sounds/music? My wife's laptop only played the digitized sounds and PC speaker...

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:43 pm

Ripper wrote:
I noticed one buffer overflow when I played a few hours again, which caused a pixel column to be displayed wrong (probably a sintable entry or pixangle has been overwritten). But I wasn't able to reproduce it... I hate such bugs. If anyone finds a way to easily reproduce it (i.e. save game where you have to do one step forward and it happens Mr Green), I would REALLY appreciate it Neutral

I'll be able to find this one eventually I'm sure. Still need to re-install my original Wolfenstein files before running WOLF4GW.

Quote:
Also I still got no feedback from someone with a original SoundBlaster or DOSBox, so I don't know whether it only works with VDMSound or not.

I'll be testing it out on that too, don't worry. Smile
Quote:
Btw, is it normal, that WinXP's integrated Soundblaster emulation doesn't support AdLib sounds/music? My wife's laptop only played the digitized sounds and PC speaker...

Actually, this is the fault of the soundcard's drivers. I experienced the same behavior with my SB 16 PCI card in Win98 SE. The element of the SB emulation missing here is - if I have the number and letters right - MPU401 modulation.

Anyway, I'll check WOLF4GW out this weekend. I hope my information has been a help. Smile
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:44 pm

Ripper wrote:

All the sounds and music work great here when using DosBox; everything is very crisp and clear. There is no clipping on the digitized sounds like in VDMSound or raw Windows XP. In normal Windows XP, I can only hear the digitized sounds and pc speaker sounds, which also applies to the original wolf3d exe (which I'm pretty sure is the main reason that people use VDMSound/DosBox). If you can figure out a solution to this Ripper, that would be awesome, but I'm guessing that would be pretty tough; especially since it applies to alot of dos games and your main computer doesn't use Windows XP.

I don't really use VDMSound much, it's actually not installed on this computer, but since Hair Machine said it's less jerky now, maybe I'll try it out again. MCS told me a way to improve the performance in VDMSound, but I have yet to really have a desire test it out yet. Since the adlib sounds and music never worked normally in XP, I'm usually just playing wolf3d with Digitized Sounds/PC Speaker on and listening to an mp3 in the background (which can be alot of fun!). I found the reason why my PC Speaker sounds were going faster, I think, which is no big deal actually. It just does that when I press Alt-Space (to close wolf3d) and then click on it again. If you do that, everything in wolf3d goes way faster in Windows XP, which also applies to the original exe... and it's actually kind of fun/interesting.

With your new exe, everything seems pretty stable and fast. No more weird gray lines on my playscreen, which is great, and I haven't noticed any sound problems in either normal XP or DosBox yet. I love it how I can actually save games with your first exe and still play them in the third one; it's apparent that your savegame pointer fix makes things alot more compatible. So far, I didn't see any weird pixel lines yet (but that might be because I'm not using VDMSound), though the game did bomb out once when I loaded a saved game and opened a door after being in the middle of a game. Unfortunately, I didn't have my "close on exit" disabled in a wolf3d pif file so I didn't see what the error message was, but I'll keep playing and see if I can catch it again. Since "close on exit" is default to On in Windows XP, maybe it would be beneficial to add a vblwait of 2-3 seconds (around 200?) to Quit() in the section where wolf3d bombs out with an error?

The parameters work great here now. The debug codes can still be activated without goobers, same with the B/S/D keys, though I'm guessing that's temporary so we can test things out right? The only other bugs I can really see in this exe so far are things that are in the original wolf3d as well. The most apparent one to me is how I'll sometimes walk over objects and not pick them up (especially when going sideways or backwards). If you were curious, I got rid of that and a few other visability bugs like guards sometimes disappearing in doors just by adding this. To my own surprise, the secret passages actually move 2 spaces in your exe like they're supposed to (whereas in the original they usually moved 3 and blocked necessary paths like on E6L2). I also noticed that if you start a new game while BJ is in the middle of his endgame jump, the game won't do the "start spinning you backwards and through walls" like it did in the original exe; which is good. There are still some minor bugs in the original wolf3d code that I'm sure I can point out here, if you were interested, and I'm guessing that Tricob could point some out too. Wink

Ripper wrote:
@Chris: Strange. Compiling worked without problems?? That's not possible!! Mr Green

LOL. Well, there was quite a few warnings in the logfile the first time I created the object files, but there was no actual problems that I noticed with the exes I creatd with Watcom. They worked to the same level as the exe you posted originally (except that there weren't those "test dots" on the screen and a few minor sound updates were noticable). This new source code works exactly the same as the exe you just posted when I compile it with the method I mentioned before (I see no differences or extra problems at all after playing it for around 3 hours straight).

Dude, who needs sleep when you can coffee? Haha. I can totally relate to your sleeping patterns. Working at 8am, I end up going out drinking alot of nights and getting home at around 5:30am; or just don't get off the computer until my head is consistantly trying to fall over (getting 2 or 3 hours of sleep). They sell energy drinks at the gas station across from where I work (Sobe Arush, Rockstar, Full Throttle, No Fear, Monster Energy, Beaver Buzz), and I end up buying one or two just about every day - love all of them except for Red Bull. You ever not sleep for 3 or 4 days straight? Man, it's pretty funny eh? It's like a free high, you start seeing things all the time. I love listening to music when I'm really tired because wild images start to enter my mind and all the instruments start to come to life. Oh look, there's a flute, SHIT THAT SNAKE IS TRYING TO EAT ME AND THE ELEPHANTS ARE COMING WITH UMBRELLAS!!! Why are my waffles asking me if I like Dairy Queen?

Ok man, thanks for posting this updated exe and code. I'll keep playing around see if I can reproduce any bombing/pixel errors. Smile
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:07 am

@Tricob: MPU401 is the midi interface and has nothing to do with AdLib sounds. I guess WinXP just doesn't have AdLib/FM emulation. Obviously because it's too complex for little Microsoft Mr Green

@Chris: Sounds great!
No, I won't be able to find a solution to add missing Adlib/FM emulation to WinXP out of Wolf Mr Green For this issue DosBox and VDMSound was developed Wink
For me VDMSound sounds quite perfectly now (except that faster music when there are too many sounds). I also noticed that everything goes faster if you go to Windows and then back to Wolf. Perhaps Windows tries to give Wolf the time which was lost inside Windows Mr Green

Hm, that crash sounds disturbing... You're not able to reproduce the bug from the saved game, are you? I don't think any error message was displayed, as I had more than enough such crashes during the developement Mr Green

When I officially release Wolf4GW I'll remove that B/S/D (*whisslinganonexistantbsdlinuxmelody*) stuff and reenable the goobers parameter, although I don't know if it really makes sense, as the whole world already knows this parameter. Hmm... perhaps it helps people not to cheat as likely as they would (was this really an english sentence? Mr Green)

As you have noticed I tried to eliminate several orginal bugs. I think that "two doors in a corner" bug may still exist. Could somebody explain me, how I can change the first rooms of Ep1Map1 to reproduce it?
Thanks for that link to the get bonus bugfix. I always found it quite annoying...
Hm, I never tried to start a new game during the endgame jump and I don't know of any change to fix this... strange ;D

I'm very open for more original Wolf bugfixes!

The warnings you got during the compiling process are normal. I think I should get rid of them, as leaving warnings is not the best style Embarassed

The released exe was just the compiled version of the released exe. It was just for those, who like testing but not compiling Wink

UUUH, 2 or 3 hours of sleep?? I go to bed late and wake up late Mr Green I normally have 8-9 hours of sleep. Too few hours at a regular base can make you seriously ill, as your body hasn't time to recover from the day's "action". And those power drinks just "cure" the symptoms, you're body and brain will still be breaking apart Mr Green
Your experiences with those wild images nicely underline that.
But when I'm working too much, I also sleep far too few, as I just NEED to spend some sparetime on my computer. And that "some" always has to be at least 3-4 hours, which is quite bad if I come back from work after 8 pm, eat something (0.5 to 1 hour), spend some time with my wife (1 to 2 hours) and need to stand up at 6 am again Mr Green
Then I'm mostly quite ill after a week (of course on Sunday, when I really would have some time....).

DieHard SS

italy.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:48 am

On my Creative SoundBlaster PCI 128 under Win98 SE, sounds can be heard like in the original game. I've noticed a small delay when playing AdLib sounds fast, like when hitting walls or keeping the door opening key pressed. Other things work like in the original Wolf3D!
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:31 am

Hm, strange... thanks for the info!
I'll see whether I can fix this.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:18 pm

Ripper wrote:
I'm very open for more original Wolf bugfixes!

Alright man. Some I don't have solutions for yet, but here's some minor original wolf3d bugs I can see in WOLF4GW:

http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/save4gw.zip

0-1: When a guard is close to you aroud a corner, they sometimes get stuck and can't move. This also applies to bosses. Even when they can move, it still seems kind of weird to me that they still try to walk diagonally into you instead of standing and shooting when right beside you. Once you get anyone stuck around a corner, you can easily kill them with a knife. I'll take around 200 stabs to get rid of boss this way, but it's still an easy way to cheat (which I've heard some people do before; lamers - haha).

2-3: If you die while a secret passage is moving, it will not appear in it's original spot once the level is restarted (and you won't be able to get 100% secret ratio). This is because pwallstate doesn't get reset to 0 (in the same way that ammo is set back to 8, etc.) when the level is reloaded. Also, if you look at the second "after" saved game, you'll see that all the officers in that hallway are frozen. This is because the square where the secret passage used to be is a wall on mapsegs[0], so if you land on it when a door has just closed, your area is an invalid floor. I got rid of the second bug by doing something like this.

4-4b: This is a drawing glitch of some kind. You can see through the corner of the walls and onto the other side of them when on certain angles. I have no idea what causes this.

5: This is something Tricob pointed out to me earlier. If an enemy opens a door, you can walk through it before it is fully open. If you walk backwards quickly here, you'll see that this door hasn't been fully opened yet. I believe that this is because the actorat gets assigned as a guard instead of a block tile when he walks through it, so you can walk up to the door until you hit the guard instead of not walking through the door at all. My guess would be that you'd have to check tilemap for the door too, and then not let the player walk through it unless of the door's "action" is set to dr_open; or something like that.

6: A very minor bug, but if a guard is about to walk through a door, another guard can just walk right though him; which looks pretty strange. I think this relates to #5.

7: I noticed it everywhere on 1.4 of the original wolf3d exe, but was only able to replicate the bug with the floating hitlers on your exe so far. Basically, the bosses only react from certain angles, or don't react until you touch them, which makes them seem like sleeping statues. The first place I remember seeing the solution for this was on MCS's Coding Tips.

8: Just a test map with with Door Sides bug on E1L1; which you requested earlier. If you explore the area, you'll see that door sides pop up on walls that they shouldn't, and sometimes disappear or don't appear at all where they should. I managed to get rid of this bug by doing something described down here, having two different functions that check for the door (one for N/S, one for E/W), though that example uses stuff from Greg's original 64+ Wall Tiles idea, and might be unneccessarily complex for your original source code.

9: This one probably only applies to addons, as it's almost impossible to replicate on E3L9. Basically, if the Floating Hitler bullets go over MAXACTORS, they keep shooting and bomb the game. All that would be needed to stop that would be a check to see how many actors are on the level. I posted a simple fix here, though you might want to take it a little further if you don't want the first shooting animation to display at all too.

Cool. I just noticed that you fixed the gliding guards bug, and that the green dot on the bottom left corner of the border doesn't have that annoying blinking; which it did sometimes on the original wolf3d. In the thread with the "get bonus bugfix" is also a few fixes for recording demos, if you were curious; as I noticed that it'll still bomb out in WOLF4GW once the demo exceeds 8192 bytes, and that the "Demo Number? (0-9)" screen doesn't show up on the display when I want to save the demo.

Maybe I'm getting too far ahead here, as I was curious to test out Spear of Destiny with your source code too, but I guess I'll have to copy over some of the original header files into the directory and stuff first. Could be fun to play around with. I'm not sure if the Tab-N code works right yet, as I was still clipping when I enabled the cheat in wolf3d. Have you tried using this "Out of Memory" fix Tricob posted? The original wolf3d worked alot better with that addition, especally when you'd die and the game would try to restart the level, but I'm not sure about if it would make as much of a difference in protected mode or not.

Another thing I noticed is that your exes aren't compatible with ChaosEdit saved map files. When I make a map with ChaosEdit, the maphead file seems to go up to 2010 bytes (502 levels?). The original wolf3d can handle this, but the WOLF4GW one just bombs out when it tries to read the whole thing. I had to hex edit out all the zeros at the end of the maphead file so I could get my altered gamemaps to work in your exes again. That was strange. Mr Green

Ripper wrote:
I don't think any error message was displayed, as I had more than enough such crashes during the developement

Those must have been hard to pinpoint sometimes. I'm certain that it had a message, since the screen had that red error square for an instant before it closed automatically (which is why I thought having a delay would have been nice for everyone testing it, but now atleast I'M ready since I disabled "close on exit" - heh). I haven't been able to reproduce that error yet, whatever it was, but I'll keep playing and see if it comes back. My guess is that it might be sound or memory related; something overflowing like you said. I noticed that the red error screen is sort of out of alignment, it usually posts the error message below the red square instead of in it - haha. I'm really curious, what does the "B" code actually do? I looked at it in the source code, and I'm guessing it's screen related? If I keep hitting it without moving, the numbers eventually go into rows of 30 B0, and if I leave the button down, everything will eventually hit 30 30. Pretty interesting to watch.

Ripper wrote:
Too few hours at a regular base can make you seriously ill, as your body hasn't time to recover from the day's "action".

Maybe you're right, but I don't know man. For me, 2 or 3 hours of really good sleep can be just as rewarding as 10 hours of sleep when I'm not overly tired. Either way, I usually feel just as awake in the morning, but every now and then I'll get a megaload of sleep to make up for it. Glad to see that you're keeping a semi-organized day pattern there Ripper; I think. You sound like me when I was doing overnights and day shifts together! Say, how are the water pipes doing? Wink
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:47 pm

Ripper - explored WOLF4GW a little bit, but not much yet. Noticed three things, two I think you might have mentioned. I haven't tested it in DOS Box yet. Haven't installed it actually, though it is downloaded.

1. On the northwest quarter of the screen appear four dots, which would make a perfect box if they were all connected. Reminiscent of the code from your 4-channel SB routine?
2. The "Boss Key" brings you to a blank screen, not the shadowcast of a C prompt.
3. You might have mentioned this also ... a strange text character appears on the top left corner of the End Screen when you exit. The C prompt displayed below seems to discombobulated, too.
ChiefRebelAngel
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 28
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:04 pm

SHIIITT!!! I haven't been paying attention to this forum.

@Ripper: I can make some models for you, no problem! The only small issue is that I use Ken Silverman's programs, so the voxel model is "written" in .kvx format.

I wonder if you can contact him and ask him how to convert it to something you can use? I know nothing of file formats/code, etc.
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:13 am

As you may have noticed, I'm currently very busy and only have time to read stuff here, as my exam is getting nearer and nearer and I'm not getting forward as fast as I want/need to...
Just wanted to tell you, that I'm very grateful for your comments, but didn't have the time to fix any of those original (and not original) bugs mentioned. OK, except one mentioned below Mr Green

@Chris: Those save games were a great idea! I'm looking forward for having the time to look at them!
That saved map files issue has been fixed. That's an original bug in Wolf where it loads the whole file (no matter how large it is) into the map header array. Together with the bug in ChaosEdit which produces far too big map header files, this might cause strange problems which don't make any sense codewise in Wolf (buffer overflow). But I never noticed something like this. Perhaps it just fills uninitialised data, so nothing serious happens.
The water pipe is provisional fixed, but I guess one water drop a day may still come out of it. Our (very unfriendly) letters (I hope my dictionary is really right here...) come back from a vacation tomorrow, then we'll see what will happen next.

@Tricob: I have no idea, where this strange character comes from. Especially it isn't always the same, and sometimes nothing is there! It might be a bug in the decompression routines, but then shouldn't there be more visable bugs in other graphics? Sarcastic

@ChiefRebelAngel: I don't think that Ken's format would be a problem, as I think he already provided format details to allow others to write tools for his engine, don't you think?

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:17 pm

Ripper wrote:
@Tricob: I have no idea, where this strange character comes from. Especially it isn't always the same, and sometimes nothing is there! It might be a bug in the decompression routines, but then shouldn't there be more visable bugs in other graphics? Sarcastic

I think the ENDSCREEN routine is pasting the data into the wrong area of memory. My hypothesis: That last character you see at the northwest corner is whatever data had been pasted into that particluar area before the ENDSCREEN routine was called.

The reminiscent data could be from VSWAP, VGAGRAPH, AUDIOHED, or what have you. It's tough for me to know for sure, since I don't know as much about the DOS4GW caching as you do. Geek
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:42 pm

Hey Ripper, to save some time, I started working on an "unofficial patch" for your 2005-09-23 code. Here's a list of what I did so far:

http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/patch4gw.txt

There's still a few original/wolf4gw bugs I want to look into, so I'll be updating the list and code every now and then, but feel free to give suggestions or comment on anything mentioned there. Maybe you've already fixed some of these, or other things, or have better ideas for how do something, so maybe posting this will be more of a fun comparison, I don't know, but I'm having a good time getting in touch with the Watcom environment and seeing how everything runs with your source code, and have a real craving to compile alot of bugfix ideas and test them out in WOLF4GW, so I thought posting this adventure publically might be atleast interesting.

Here are the *.cpp and *.h files that have been altered (with an exe included):

http://www.canadianphilatelics.com/choksta/patch4gw.zip

They should make the situations mentioned in the text file work better, but I'll upload new versions to those links as more is looked into. *gg*

Good luck on the exams and all that stuff man! Smile
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:35 am

I have two machines on which I can play DOS games:

1) Pentium 233 MHz MMX, Win98se, 256MB RAM, Genuine Sound Blaster card

2) Pentium III 800 MHz, Win98se, 512MB RAM, Diamond Monster MX-300 which emulates
Sound Blaster Pro (A220, IRQ 5, DMA 3, and address 388 for the midi ?)

All music and sounds work fine on machine 1. On machine 2, the music is fine, but the digitized sounds cut off after the first gunshot or door opening, and B-A-T doesn't bring them back. If I turn the digitized sounds off, the PC speaker seems to be enabled (it comes through my stereo speakers, but I think my machine is just set up to do that). On rare occasions, when I turn the digitized sounds back on, I get slight clicks instead of sounds. In any case they never "come back" after that first gunshot. Unless I re-start the game, and then again get one shot of digi-sound.

All of the popular DOS4GW games like DOOM and Duke3d have no sound problems on this machine.

I first ran across this problem running Chris's patch for Hotel Romanstein 2, which I assume is just a shareware-running version of WOLF4GW. I was eventually Razz motivated to test out the "official" WOLF4GW and the same problem exists.

Is it the Pro part of Sound Blaster Pro emulation that is causing the problem here?

BTW, this Monster sound card has an excellent wavetable (with strong drum sounds), so I am reluctant to part with it.

Andy

Last edited by Andy_Nonymous on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:47 pm

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
Is it the Pro part of Sound Blaster Pro emulation that is causing the problem here?

If you put "-nopro" after the name of the EXE file when starting the game, that should answer your question. Smile
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:41 am

"-nopro" did not help. Everything is exactly the same. What is "-nopro" supposed to do anyway?

In my previous post, I was speculating that Ripper's code didn't support SoundBlaster Pro emulation (yet?). I don't know how different SoundBlaster Pro is from the vanilla SoundBlaster, so I may be totally off-base. Another possibility is that Diamond's Monster MX-300 SB Pro emulator is buggy, because the normal Wolf3d digital sounds are sometimes a bit crackly, though they never cut out.

Andy
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:52 pm

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
What is "-nopro" supposed to do anyway?

If your computer is SoundBlaster Pro compatibile, that's when your sounds can have stereo effects (guards can shout from the left ear, quieter when further away, etc.). For me, DosBox gives me stereo/SBPro support in WOLF4GW with no problems. If you use "-nopro" on a SBPro compatible setup, wolf3d will just give you it's original SoundBlaster support (throwing all sounds in the middle of your speakers at full volume). To tell you the truth though, I never knew that there was a "-nopro" tag either before, I only noticed this parameter and it's purpose today when looking through the ID_SD.CPP file out of curiosity from Tricob's post. Smile

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
but the digitized sounds cut off after the first gunshot or door opening, and B-A-T doesn't bring them back

From what I understand, when you press MLI or BAT, it runs ClearMemory, which is what resets the sounds. In the case of WOLF4GW, most of the stuff in memory doesn't need to be cleared since the vswap pages don't get cached and uncached (including the sound pages), though ClearMemory still runs the SD_StopDigitized() function. I'm not sure if each sound still gets sent to 4096 buffers while they're being played in the third version, though if they do, maybe they aren't getting cleared and written correctly for your soundcard because of the way WOLF4GW's sound setup is trying to handle it? I don't know much about how sound drivers work though.

I'm curious, even though this might be a little more buggy (or maybe make things work better), what happends when you run the first and second wolf4gw exes that Ripper posted? With the first exe, you should be able to see a purple dot each time a sound is being played. With the second one, you should see a green dot on your screen, and a purple dot when a sound is being played. When a sound over 4096 bytes is being played (like a door sound), the green dot should start off as a red dot, then switch back to a green dot. If any this stuff isn't the case for your second computer, maybe this could help narrow down where the problem is. Also, does pressing S on both your computers give you similar stats when the same sound has just played in the game? Once any unique sound has played (different than the last one that has played), your lastsnd value and the other values in that little "S debug menu" should refresh. Any info about if this is working might be interesting to hear.

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
I first ran across this problem running Chris's patch for Hotel Romanstein 2, which I assume is just a shareware-running version of WOLF4GW.

Yes, you're right Andy, it's basically just this port as shareware; with all the stuff listed in the patch. I've been trying to use WOLF4GW for most of my exe experiments lately, partially because I was very curious to hear if people noticed anything different with the way it acts on different computers. After reading your post, I'm sort of glad I tried it here. Like you, I had the oppurtunity to test WOLF4GW on some very old systems while visiting my parents over the christmas holidays. Those computers were:

1. 486/100mhz Laptop (Windows 95)
2. Pentium 120mhz Desktop (Windows XP)

I mainly wanted to see if WOLF4GW would work on very old computers, and if so, to see how well it would perform against the original wolf3d (I had never tried an fps test on wolf3d with a computer below a P4 processor before either, so I was curious to see how close it would slow things down globally as compared to DosBox tests).

The first one, a laptop I used to have up until 2003 (when most people already knew what it was like to have DVD players/CD burners and Windows XP), first gave me a SBLASTER error with a very detailed dos4gw debug list of memory addresses where there the problem originated from in the exe. This was while I was still in the Windows 95 environment. Then, when I tried the original wolf3d exe, it would just freeze on the signon screen, even after I deleted the config file. Both exes started to work once I added the "-nosb" parameter though, and both only worked with that parameter. I'm not sure if this was because wolf4gw had affected my sound stuff in memory in some way, or if something wrong has happened to that computer since I last used it (I hadn't used this laptop for around two years, and I'm pretty sure that my dad hasn't used it for anything since, so maybe keeping that dinosaur in a cave for a while did something to my sound card/settings - haha).

In terms of performance, I figured that the original exe would go a little faster, and it did. When the VBLs were 0, I always got 70fps on the original, and a fluxuation of around 40-60fps on wolf4gw. When the VBLs were 1 (waits for the screen to finish drawing before starting the next page), I got around 60fps on the original, and always got 30fps on wolf4gw. The 30fps surprised me, since it was ranging in the 50fps range with 0 vbls, and the original exe had around 60fps with 1 vbl... so, according to what I believed Ripper's theory to be in this thread, the wolf4gw exe should have gone around the same fps at 0 or 1, since it was already below the screen refresh rate.

After that, I went to test both exes in pure Dos (clicking the "Restart in MS-Dos mode" option from Shut Down), then remembered that the laptop hangs on the Dos screen when you enter it from Win95 for some reason, so I restarted and used the F5 method to get to the startup menu (to try to enter pure Dos from there), though the menu never appeared, and it just kept going to that hanging blank dos cursor; not even entering Win95 anymore. Maybe that computer finally kicked the bucket, I thought, and just put it back in it's case so I could test the other computer. My memory is vague on what I used to do in that kind of situation, or if it acted like that before, but I think pushing the little reset button with a pin could get things going again, where I'd then be able to test those two exes in real Dos. At the time this happened I didn't think of this though, so I'll have to try that method next time I go up to visit my parents again in the summer or something - heh.

The second comptuer, which I remember only a little, was now put in my moms room (she actually decorated her flowers and pictures all over the monitor and keyboard, so it was obvious that she didn't really use it much, and it was just there as "part of the scenery" of her desk, which I found pretty funny). The original exe worked fine on it, but the wolf4gw exe would just freeze on the signon screen. The "-nosb" tag didn't help on this computer either, so I'm guessing it was some kind memory management error. I still had some fun with the original exe though. One really cool thing was that the speed for it was flying at 70fps all the time; even when the VBLs were at 1, so I guess that computer had a refresh rate of atleast 70. Looks like even a 120mhz computer can do wolf3d at top speed in the original exe all the time.

From seeing some of this, I'll probably go back to making exes for people with 16-bit Borland, atleast for now; unless I need a ton of memory. Wink
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:04 am

Chris wrote:
I'm curious, even though this might be a little more buggy (or maybe make things work better), what happends when you run the first and second wolf4gw exes that Ripper posted? With the first exe, you should be able to see a purple dot each time a sound is being played. With the second one, you should see a green dot on your screen, and a purple dot when a sound is being played. When a sound over 4096 bytes is being played (like a door sound), the green dot should start off as a red dot, then switch back to a green dot. If any this stuff isn't the case for your second computer, maybe this could help narrow down where the problem is. Also, does pressing S on both your computers give you similar stats when the same sound has just played in the game? Once any unique sound has played (different than the last one that has played), your lastsnd value and the other values in that little "S debug menu" should refresh. Any info about if this is working might be interesting to hear.

Chris,

The first EXE plays the digitized sounds perfectly, never cuts out. The second has the same problem as the later ones. The purple dot flashes on the first gunshot or door sound, and after the sounds cut out, sometimes it flashes for a couple of "events" then stays off, other times it never flashes again. It's kind of inconsistent.

Pressing 'S' does nothing for me; Tab+S brings on the slow motion. I'm not sure how to invoke that 'S debug menu' you mentioned.

Chris wrote:
After that, I went to test both exes in pure Dos (clicking the "Restart in MS-Dos mode" option from Shut Down), then remembered that the laptop hangs on the Dos screen when you enter it from Win95 for some reason, so I restarted and used the F5 method to get to the startup menu (to try to enter pure Dos from there), though the menu never appeared, and it just kept going to that hanging blank dos cursor; not even entering Win95 anymore.

Use F8 just before the Windows splash screen comes up for the startup menu. F5 is only for pure MS-DOS systems. Check this out for more details.

Andy
TexZK
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

italy.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:39 am

How reliable is the current version of Wolf4GW? It's a lot of time since I haven't worked for our community, and I'd love to work on this project, without downloading a new version of the source code every time...
Thanks!
Jaapio
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 4

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:23 am

I just ran w4gw but after wards I could not use my soundblaster any more, it was "In use", just saying.
Greetz J.
TexZK
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

italy.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:38 pm

Jaapio wrote:
I just ran w4gw but after wards I could not use my soundblaster any more, it was "In use", just saying.
Greetz J.

It happens if you're listening to music, or simply your Wave channel is in use. Try closing Winamp, Media Player or whatever could use it. I'm sure it will work!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:12 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Jaapio wrote:
Greetz J.

It also happens if the game is closed through Windows rather than by exiting the game properly. VDMS should take care of this problem if you run the game with it, but I'm sure there are some exceptions ...
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: