DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

WOLF4GW
Page 3 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Jaapio
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 4

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:11 am
   Subject: Re: WOLF4GW
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

@TexZK:
The device is in use, I started w4gw without any other apps running. I quited the game. I ran winamp and got the error. I ran media player same error. I didnt even get the simple click sounds in windows.

@Tricob: I quited the game did not shut it down through windows or anything, but it might have crashed whille quiting....
TexZK
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
italy.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:21 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

That's a weird situation... if you have other soundacrds on your PC (some modems and other devices are set as "soundcards", but they aren't really!), try selecting the default one in Windows' Control Panel. Or, be sure you've selected an available soundcard! I can't tell you more... it's strange...
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 165
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:28 pm

Jaapio wrote:
@Tricob: I quited the game did not shut it down through windows or anything, but it might have crashed whille quiting....

It might have. I'd check the properties of CONFIG.WL6. I suspect that the OS has marked this file as "read-only". I doubt WOLF3D.EXE will like this. Cool
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:19 pm

Borland C++ 3.1 doesn't like this code at all. Am I supposed to use a different program for this?

In fact, just what do I do with this? Many of the files are in formats alien to Borland C++.

EDIT: Never mind. Why didn't you mention the Watcom thing with every release? When I look for a download in threads like these, I start at the end and work backwards to find the last release.

EDIT 2: 57 MEGS! Shocked What does this compiler do that's worth 57 megs? Whatever, I pretty much have to use WOLF4GW and its source code now that Episode 1 Revisited is breaking the 399 statics/149 guards limit.

Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:35 am

So do we have a stable version now???
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:13 pm

Jaapio wrote:
I just ran w4gw but after wards I could not use my soundblaster any more, it was "In use", just saying.

Aha, that would explain the story about my old laptop then! Maybe it's because the sounds need some kind of extra instruction to be shut down after they've played (and/or after the game is exited) on certain real/classic soundcards? I noticed that when you press a pushwall or door, the sound is still playing when you press Esc and are in the menu. Maybe that is related. I'd be interested in hearing more info about your computer specs Jaapio (the operating system you run wolf3d from, your soundcard settings, your processor chip and speed, etc.). Also, does WOLF4GW work better or differently with the other exes Ripper provided, as Andy mentioned here? The first version of the source code wasn't released, so I don't know exactly what the differences are between the first and second exes, but I believe knowing this might be useful to help track how to make the exe behave differently on different environments, to sort of help "get the best out of both worlds".

Executor wrote:
I pretty much have to use WOLF4GW and its source code now that Episode 1 Revisited is breaking the 399 statics/149 guards limit.

This is not true. Static objects only take up 8 bytes, so with 4800 free near bytes, you could raise the limit to 1000 static objects. Actors take up 60 bytes, but that can be reduced to atleast 44 without losing anything, so by getting 4200 free near bytes, you could raise the limit by double - having 300 actors. If you look at the Freeing Up Memory thread, which is a sticky in Code Crackers now, you'll see that there are a ton of things you can do to save memory. The memboost example (which I haven't even updated for like a year) already had over 25000 free near bytes, for instance, while keeping everything from the game intact. You do the math. Wink
Jaapio
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:41 am

jYeah the patched version works almost perfect, just no music.
Very Happy Thanks Chris.
insurrectionman
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 87
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:11 am

Someone might've already asked this but when I downloaded the source code to Wolf4GW what code compiler can I use for it, because I know BC 3.1 doesn't work, or is it not done yet and ready to be distributed?

New Site: http://www.treesapthief.com
Twitter: @treesapthief
Jaapio
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:29 pm

I think watcom. Yes its free
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 187

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:44 pm

Last edited by Thomas on Sat May 28, 2011 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 21
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:35 am

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?p=38298#38298

Mapping Master

Topics: 187

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:28 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sat May 28, 2011 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:45 pm

OK, downloaded Watcom Win32 1.3, downloaded source...opened IDE, opened project...then compiled. Now I have a heap of errors, talking about undefined references to different things.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:34 am

Did you use the current source code provided on http://www.chaos-software.de.vu ?
Also please post those error messages. Perhaps it may be necessary to use the way over the command prompt, setvars and ide?

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:08 pm

I'll do so wen I get home...in around 10 hours (8 o'clock tonite)

Stay tuned!

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:28 am
   Subject: Re: Wolf4GW

Btw: I'm thinking about porting Wolf to SDL (http://www.libsdl.org) for Windows. I should be able to use Wolf4GW as a base for it, as this already is 32-bit code. That way we'd get rid of all the incompatibilities caused by the sound stuff and other dos emulation stuff and real dos environments as this would internally use DirectX. It would also result in much better performance on WinNT based OSes, as the whole dos emulation layer wouldn't be used anymore.
I'm currently playing around with some SDL tutorials and "Code::blocks" with the MINGW compiler (http://www.codeblocks.org) a free C++ development environment for Windows and a free compiler for Windows.
With this I'd also be able to simply implement the multichannel sounds at last Mr Green
I'm looking forward for next weeks late evenings, when I have time to continue my investigations Mr Green

PS: I hope that your Wolf4GW projects will be easily portable to SDL, so hopefully you don't need to worry about current projects (in case you are interested in this stuff).

Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:35 pm

Now that would be good, I did wonder why you didn't do that in the first place. I have some experience with SDL, more with Allegro though which I find more comfortable because it is easier to use. I'd reccomend you use SGE though, as it is SDL wrapper that has even drawing primitives included (line drawing, pixel plotting, etc..) SDL doesn't have that 'out of the box'. But you should go for it, since it would give me the excuse to learn more about SDL.
Mr Green

Edit:

Didn't read your post thoroughly, just now realised you mentioned MingW and code:blocks. I have been using MingW for years with dev-cpp ide which I find handy since it has many pre-built libraries ready to use through the updating tool, I recommend you try it out. I actually thought about moving into code blocks, the interface seems nicer. But the updater in dev-cpp provides easy download, and setup for many prebuilt libraries all ready to use, including but not limited to SDL, FMOD, Allegro, RakNet, Zoidcom.

Edit 2:

Now that I studied the Feature page of code:blocks, it does support devpaks and dev-cpp project files.
Definately worth downloading. I did know about code:blocks, but didn't know it was fully compatible with dev-cpp.
I will definately try this out...

Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 165
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:52 pm
   Subject: Re: Wolf4GW

Ripper wrote:
Btw: I'm thinking about porting Wolf to SDL (http://www.libsdl.org) for Windows. I should be able to use Wolf4GW as a base for it, as this already is 32-bit code. That way we'd get rid of all the incompatibilities caused by the sound stuff and other dos emulation stuff and real dos environments as this would internally use DirectX. It would also result in much better performance on WinNT based OSes, as the whole dos emulation layer wouldn't be used anymore.
I'm currently playing around with some SDL tutorials and "Code::blocks" with the MINGW compiler (http://www.codeblocks.org) a free C++ development environment for Windows and a free compiler for Windows.
Sorry to burst your bubble here, but Microsoft is releasing a whole new Windows operating system at the end of this year, which may open up all sorts of incompatibilities to your Windows port, possibly even rendering it useless. Sad, but true.

I personally am not planning to get this newer operating system, no matter how popular it becomes. The only reason I have Windows XP today is because that's what my computer came back with when I had my harddisk back up and running. I imagine most users - Wolfenstein fans or not - might not be against this operating system, but I'm reluctant to try and predict the future.

Whether you choose to invest your time in a Windows port is entirely your decision, though.
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

finland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:52 am

I would not think that the new os will render SDL or MingW useless. Besides if you're affraid of that, don't switch.
I think it is not waste of time, this would be the best thing to Wolfenstein that I can think off. Oh and by the way, I think
I'll stick to my old ide I've gotten used to it so there's no point in changing, no matter how good code::blocks is.

Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:16 am

Thanks for the comments!
Well, I'll stick to SDL, as SDL is already a wrapper for a wrapper wrapper (in Windows the wrapper wrapper is DirectX). Using even another wrapper would be... well, even worse, I guess.
You know, there's a reason, why you need 5 GHz to run your favorite text editor Mr Green

There are some issues I don't like at all in Code::blocks. Perhaps I'll have to have a look at it's source... hope it's not too complicated...
But I didn't like the look of dev-cpp and the fact that it was written in Delphi Mr Green

About the Windows Vista issue: As the Windows version of SDL is based on DirectX there really should be no problem with Vista. But when I'm done, I'll just let a friend test it for me, who already has a beta of Vista.

Code Master

finland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:35 am

I've been using Code:Blocks now and I'm starting to like it. Yes SDL is DirectX wrapper, hence Simple Directmedia Layer. It depends how low-level you really want to go. Ofcourse if you want to make your own drawing primitive routines, that's fine, but I would certainly think that using SGE would provide the most optimized versions. The problem is, as always, it has also some useless stuff you're never going to use in the first place so I do understand your point of not having anything unnecesary as it will eat more memory and possibly more cpu time. I propably would use SDL too myself if I were to choose from SGE and SDL. I'm using Allegro (Also a DX wrapper) as my graphics solution as I find it more versatile and beginner friendly, and it has a lot of usefull features like built-in datafiles with encryption. I had issues with SDL colorkeys, and personally I don't know what was wrong. Also SDL does not provide rotational sprites out of the box, which is a necessity to me, and propably I could not optimize that on my own. I know SDL is more versatile, I wish one day I figure out how to use it efficiently.

Until then, I'll use Allegro...

Edit: But I do reccomend SDL for this project, I guess it would be the fastest. It even supports multithreading.

insurrectionman
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:07 am

I just finally got Wolf4GW and watcom. Are there any tutorials that work from Borland to Watcom, because Textured Floors\ceilings i know don't work.

insurrectionman
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:13 pm

Are there any tutorials for the Borland Wolf3d that are compatible for WOLF4GW? Because i would like to have atmospheric things in a mod i am making.

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:05 am

Well I got it to compile, and was wondering how do I get this setup and running with spear of destiny?
the_fish
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 12
uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:14 am

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what you needed to do to update the old code into a version able to be compiled by Watcom? I've pieced together a bit by comparing both versions (original and 4GW) side by side, so I've figured out using _asm{} to enclose assembly code for example (I have NO idea how assembly code works, so I'm copying that exactly - probably a bad idea...).

I'm also unsure on how to transfer the old #pragma's across, and there's at least one function rewritten entirely in assembly (CalcHeight in WL_DRAW).

Are there any fairly standard rules for transferring old code across? If so I could have a go at updating some of the old tutorials for what is obviously a better system.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:33 pm

hawkeyefile wrote:
Well I got it to compile, and was wondering how do I get this setup and running with spear of destiny?

Which source code version are you using?
If you're using wolf4gw3.zip with patch4gw.zip, or wolf4gw_freepush3.zip, just erase these two diagonal lines in WL_DEF.H:

::: CODE :::
/* Defines used for different versions */

//#define SPEAR
//#define UPLOAD
#define GOODTIMES

Otherwise, you can scroll down to the Spear/Apogee section (third section) in this text file to see how it was done in patch4gw.zip... I guess.

the_fish wrote:
Are there any fairly standard rules for transferring old code across? If so I could have a go at updating some of the old tutorials for what is obviously a better system.

Try using some old tutorials to find out. That's the best way to see what's different and what doesn't require any extra changes. Wink
I wouldn't say it's "obviously a better system" in some ways, like the sound and speed issues mentioned on some computers. It's definately cool though.
the_fish
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:08 pm

Yep, have been doing so with good results so far Smile . It's just the memory system and assembly code that gives problems, everything else (ok, most other things) should work fine. So far the only ones that have had any hiccups have been hi-res and textured flats, but they just required a little tweaking.

Can't get the wall patches working yet though - I can't figure out how Ripper draws his textures differently from the original, so I can't link the temporary (patch) texture array into the drawing code without bizarre multicoloured walls appearing where (and next to where) I want the patches. Still working on it...

...and I say 'obviously a better system' because I've got a really big hi-res vswap, and though I haven't tried that on the old engine I'm really paranoid about the memory limit (does it show? Wink ). Haven't noticed any sound and speed issues myself, maybe I'm just lucky Very Happy
insurrectionman
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:46 pm
   Subject: WOLF4GW

I was wondering if the DOS4GW engine and Wolf3d code would support 128x128 maps, 640x400 screen resolution, and\or 256x256 walls\sprites (of course, editors will have to be modified to run these features too). Most of these ideas probably are going to be extremely hard to code, but I do think it is possible.

the_fish
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:45 pm

Yes.

But in that case, why are you using Wolf at all? Modding another game would give you all you require and more, without you having to make ANY code changes...

The screen res would be the most problematic thing I reckon - you'll be drawing four times more stuff which should slow down the engine proportionally, remember all the drawing routines are coded from scratch so you can't take advantage of any newer technology without redoing the entire engine.

128x128 maps would (i think) just require the changing of the mapsize define - but then you've got the problem of writing an editor that can deal with that (aaactually, now you mention it, I *could* add variable mapsize to the editor I'm making (see Mapping Mania forum) - if it is that simple then this could be changed in many mods. (some functions might implicitly assume mapsize=64 without checking the define...these would have to be chased up individually Sad)

256x256 images should just be as simple as altering the code for 128x128 images, just...more. It would need a special editor, though, unless you fancied changing the code to use four 128x128 VSWAP entries instead (fine for textures, but sprites would be a biatch). At that res, though, sprites would look silly and out of place. Polygon modeling would be the next logical step, and then...

...you've reinvented the wheel.

I dunno, just my take. Although keeping Wolf as Wolf could be why no-ones added a vertical dimension to the game, even though John Carmack suggested that in the source release notes - it's possible, but, why go to all that trouble when there are better engines out there?

DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:14 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I see your point, and I guess, it would be a lot of work, but I think I am only interested in the bigger maps. I have read the many topics on it, but I don't think I found the right answer to it. I should look into it again and give it a try.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 3 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: