DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

2005 "Best" Awards, Please Read and Post!
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 35
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:03 pm
   Subject: 2005 "Best" Awards, Please Read and Post!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

For the entire month, starting today, December 1st until December 31st, I will be collecting names for each Wolf3d "best" catagory. For example, I will be looking for your favorite Wolf3d texture artist of 2005 (Best Artist 2005, etc.), your favorite modder (Best Modder 2005, etc.), etc. etc. Once the names have been collected, I, or an administrator will set up a seperate polling area...if possible, and I will create seperate polls from which you can vote from. I will run the polls from the 1st of January to the 15th of January (Two weeks.). Once the votes have been cast, and the polls closed, I will post the winners from each catagory, and maybe a cool graphic award to wear with pride on their page. Razz

I will be looking for the following:

Best Texture Artist:
Best Sprite Artist:
Best "Newbie" modder:
Best "Newbie" mod:
Best Vaporware mod:
Best Modder:
Best Mod:
Best Storyline:
Best Wolf3d Feature: ( Example - Sky, Animated Walls, Textured Floors and Ceilings, etc.)
Best Wolf3d member:
Most Annoying Wolf3d member:

PLEASE NOTE

Only post ONE and ONLY ONE name for each catagory. It would also be helpful if you copy and paste each catagory.

Have fun,

-Leo
WLHack
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 65
finland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:26 pm
   Subject: Re: 2005 "Best" Awards, Please Read and Post!
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

My vote for "Best Texture Artist" goes to Lord Raffles, eventhought the
walls were quite a original looking but those decorations were awesome.
wolfie3dfan
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:39 pm

oh...the Best of 2005 awards...edited to remove wrong year choices:
Best Texture Artist: Kyle
Best Sprite Artist: Kyle
Best "Newbie" mapper: the guy who made red sunrise
Best "Newbie" mod: Topfad4
Best Vaporware mod: Noah's Ark 3d Animals Gone Wild
Best Team Leader and Modder: Majik Monkee
Best Mod: EoD
Best Storyline: EoD I guess since I don't really read them anyway.
Best Wolf3d Feature: Fireballs controlled by switches.
Best Wolf3d member: Kyle
Most Annoying Wolf3d member: I'm not mean.
Best Mapper with original graphics and coding: ack
Best Mapper with new graphics and coding: AReyep

Last edited by wolfie3dfan on Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
WLHack
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

finland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:41 pm

I also vote EoD to be the "Best Mod"
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:40 pm

Regarding most of these questions...

I don't think we should be drawing more attention the "best", since they're already popular enough.
All it'll really boil down to is generic, mainstream opinions that have probably already been discussed in other threads.

Has anyone actually played so many addons in such detail that they know every single cool feature out there? If you said yes, you're wrong.

If I wanted to compliment something or someone, doing it by strictly putting everything below it (including things I've never observed and/or experienced to their full potential) feels rather irrational to me. I enjoy alot of different types of storylines (like Mutant Blobs from Uranus and Operation: Mutant Strike 2), for instance.
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:42 pm

Well so long as no one takes it too seriously, I don't think there's any harm in it (I don't think anyone's gonna say "I WON AND YOU DIDN'T! GO DIE SOMEWHERE WHILE I BASK IN MY SUPERIORITY"). It's always something fun to do, but I do think that it would spice things up to see some fresh ideas here, whether it's by changing the rules or just naturally.
Of course, it's Leo's idea, so he can do whatever the hell he wants to with it. Shrug

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:56 pm

Yeah, maybe I went a little overboard there. Some questions seemed rather "blah" to me, but I guess it could be fun to say whatever you want... without any real care if it's personally (or otherwise) valid or not - haha. So, here's random thoughts of the moment...

Favorite Texture Artist: This isn't really of interest to me. Anyone could just rip textures from somewhere off the net and make it look classy in the wolf3d engine, so talent with making your own textures really doesn't affect gameplay unless it's something crazy like FredWolf for me - haha.

Favorite Sprite Artist: I'm not too sure about this either. For me, fancy graphics doesn't make a great game, I'd actually rather have crude/funny graphics. Alot of sprite artists on here just use other wolf3d graphics as a base, which sort of annoyed me at first, but can be rather interesting in a different way. Not sure how to really react to that, it's kinda cool when there's an interesting story behind it.

Favorite Newbie Mapper: I think alot of people dismiss these types of mods, though I generally like diving into them. So far, most of the "newbie" mappers lately have surprised me positively. I'd probably pick Thomas, if I had to choose anyway, just because I enjoy what he's been doing lately, and because enough people would actually know who I'm talking about.

Favorite Newbie Mod: Barbara's pick was pretty cool, I liked it too, atleast what I played of it. I'm not so sure what I'd pick, though, alot of stuff can be rather interesting.

Best Vaporware Mod: Lately? Hrmm. Maybe Tristan's stupid Cerebral levels hype-thread/idea. Laughing

Best Team Leader and Mod: I'm definately thinking that Majik will win this one. I don't really see anyone that could come close, considering how many large team efforts he has done with various cool people.

Best Mod: Out of the recent mods I've played, the one I will remember most (as a positive and enlightening experience) is THE BEST MOD IN THE WORLD.

Best Storyline: Haha, speaking of CIG Wolf, I swear there's some guy who looks exactly like the Suicide Clone (the guy in AReyeP's photograph on the wall) who comes into my workplace all the time! It's hilarous. Picking a best story is idiotic to me, how many stories from addons can anyone say are honestly bad? The variety between them all keeps things interesting. I even like the cheezy short stories in Poopdeck Willie. There's really nothing I could pick here that would be a clear winner by any mark, too many interesting stories out there.

Favorite Wolf3d Feature: This will take me a long time think about. Everything that has been used alot won't qualify for me, I'd rather pick unique ideas people have made for their own addons. To me, a cool feature would be something that might be something really off the wall, or a secret that is based on a challenge to achieve. Maybe. Being able to see my memory in realtime in pixels was pretty fun; especially while looking at the map file and see where everything was. Fixing the no-clipping to work without floorcode/overflow bugs was fun for me too. Seeing how many times I saved my game is a neat feature, or seeing your time to nearest 70th of a second, or seeing any variable at all that is of some interesting to what I'm doing at the moment actually. There's so many little fun ideas in Code Crackers there were fun to try/figure out. The list would never end.

Favorite Wolf3d Member: This is too hard to classify. Maybe favorite new member would have been easier? There are so many people I like here for different reasons, I'd probably end up naming almost everybody.

Most Annoying Wolf3d Member: MCS, obviously. Wink

Favorite Mapper with original maps: Again, I'm pretty sure Barbara's pick will win. ack's made a ton of interesting levels in the last few years, for the original and new platforms. I'm sure there are others who had made maps for the original wolf3d, but I can't really speak for most of them, as I haven't played their levels enough. A stupid question by Leo with an unquestionable winner - haha.

Favorite Mapper with new graphics and coding: Again, I'm pretty sure Barbara's pick will win here. There's alot people who are good at this, and Steve IS really good at it, and well known for it and his addons, so yeah, probably. He sets a good example in many ways that people can follow, well, if they want. Or they can just use it for inspiration or something. Should he win, sure. Are there other great mappers out there too in this category? Yes.

So yeah, stuff. [clicks the post button without really re-reading any of this]
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:26 pm

Best Texture Artist: Lord Raffles. He started my favorite Artists Archive thread for 2005.
Best Sprite Artist: Since I'll limit this to complete mods, I'll say Sporb for his work on Dead Reckoning.
Best "Newbie" modder: Can't spell his name right, but he did those "Spear Of Dreams" releases ...
Best "Newbie" mod: "Spear Of Dreams, Part 5"
Best Vaporware mod: Goldeneye.
Best Modder: TheJosh.
Best Mod: Trench Warfare. It was *so* worth the wait.
Best Wolf3d Feature: Fog (Trench Warfare)
Best Wolf3d member: Chris. She's an incredible coder, and she's written some truly fascinating posts.
Most Annoying Wolf3d member: Brent. He only posted two or three times this year, and still made my s*** list.

Last edited by Tricob on Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
wolfie3dfan
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:27 pm

Best Team Leader and Mod isn't Leo's idea but it could be a category.
Favorite Mappers aren't Leo's ideas. I am a mapper groupie for those two.

Cutest Wolfer: hmmm Will get back on that one since there are many many many. Cheesy Grin

Chris spoke:
Quote:
Oh, come on Barbara, you know you want to pick Ariel!

You may have forgotten that I've seen you in your pajamas... Shocked

Last edited by wolfie3dfan on Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:21 pm

Long listing makes harder for me to decide about them expect one.

Most Annoying Wolf3d member: Howling_Wolf Razz Laughing
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:31 pm

Tricob wrote:
Best Wolf3d member: Chris. She's an incredible coder, and she's written some truly fascinating posts.

I told you, Chris, look what you've started!
Hmm, I'll spout off my random nominations now... And I just read the "post one and ONLY ONE name" thing. Shit. This is going to be hard.
Old post wrote:
Best Texture Artist: Lord Raffles has some nice stuff, so does Architect. There's a lot of great talent out there, so it's really hard to choose. Since it's not final, I'll just say Architect since he hasn't been mentioned.
Best Sprite Artist: JoeWolf, AReyeP (durr), MajikMonkee (double durr, after seeing Steven Segal), Ringman (though not everyone's seen some of his best work Wink ), ChiefRebelAngel, thejosh, pretty much everybody in that "best artist" poll... But who to pick? I'll go with Ringman.
Best "Newbie" modder: School's been a bitch lately, so I haven't had a chance to play much of anything (a couple of minutes of Trench Warfare and that's about it), therefore I can't knowledgeably nominate anybody.
Best "Newbie" mod: Same as above.
Best Vaporware mod: The Mark, by some procrastinating idiot. Wink
Best Modder: WSJ hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'll be the first.
Best Mod: Has Projekt Vertilgung been mentioned yet? Ah, good times, good times.
Best Storyline: I still like the story to the original Spear: Resurrection, it definitely did a great job of engrossing me in the game.
Best Wolf3d Feature: Hmm... this gives me an idea for a thread... no entry, but now I have a plot. *greedily rubs hands together*
Best Wolf3d member: Zeta-Burn? Naaaah... I'll settle on BJ Rowan since I'm sure everyone forgot about him and his brief reappearance. Quite an amiable fellow indeed.
Most Annoying Wolf3d member: Dugtrio17 for not only being a complete jackass and hijacking a poll with that persona, but for doing the obviously dead joke of responding with one's self when one is asked about somebody being of a negative trait.

*ahem* Now for the corrected version:
Best Texture Artist: Architect's new stuff hasn't been released, apparently, so I've gotta pick someone else. Lord Raffles, I suppose, though I hesitate since he's already been mentioned (though his stuff is quite the shiznit).
Best Sprite Artist: Ringman, he's made some great stuff this year.
Best Modder: Uh... school's been choking me this year. I've played a few mods, but I haven't played nearly enough to vote in this category.
Best Mod: Ditto.
Best Storyline: Dammit, I really need to set aside some time to play every mod in existence... three categories in a row, this is ridiculous.
Best Wolf3d member: I MUST vote in this category... hmm... I'll just make it easy on my wimpy little mind and name Chris.
Most Annoying Wolf3d member: Dugtrio17 for not only being a complete jackass and hijacking a poll with that persona, but for doing the obviously dead joke of responding with one's self when one is asked about somebody being of a negative trait. More than that, he forked up his votes in this contest the first time around, a deed worthy of punishment by death.

And if you couldn't tell, my actual nominations are in bold, if there is one for that category.

Last edited by Dugtrio17 on Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:34 am

I nominate myself for Most Annoying Wolf Member. My constant announcing and cancelling of mods, and my failure to help people or supply something when I didn't, wasting everyone's time, got to me as well O_O.

Best sprite artist - Sporb2000. His smooth gun frames, and excellently detailed hirez sprites were flucking amazing *claps*

I will vote for others later, i need more time to think.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:58 am

Last edited by Thomas on Thu May 26, 2011 9:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Dr. Chainsaw
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:34 am

Thomas wrote:

Best "Newbie" modder: Michael Collin aka Dr. Chainsaw
Best "Newbie" mod: Nazi Show!

whoa thanks tom! Cheesy Grin
Loki
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3
france.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:49 am

TheTalentedMrLeo wrote:
For example, I will be looking for your favorite Wolf3d texture artist of 2005

Areyep best sprite artist ? Architect best texture artist ? WSJ best modder ? Where are their works for 2005 ? No offense but each time somebody opens this kind of thread, people post "anachronistic" votes. Result, we find always the same names. Neutral

Best Texture Artist : Noni (I really enjoyed his set released on the Image World)
Best Sprite Artist : Erick Bessant-Chavez for these boss ideas (Image World)
Best "Newbie" modder : Thomas for Purgatory (Abandon 2)
Best "Newbie" mod : Purgatory (Abandon 2) Cheesy Grin
Best Vaporware mod : Artic Wolf by Luke Strauman Sad
Best Modder : thejosh
Best Mod : Trench Warfare
Best Wolf3d Feature : Uniform disguise

Code Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:18 am

Loki wrote:
TheTalentedMrLeo wrote:
For example, I will be looking for your favorite Wolf3d texture artist of 2005

Areyep best sprite artist ? Architect best texture artist ? WSJ best modder ? Where are their works for 2005 ? No offense but each time somebody opens this kind of thread, people post "anachronistic" votes. Result, we find always the same names. Neutral

Oh, so NOW I notice that. I've gotta edit my post...

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:26 pm

Dugtrio17 wrote:
Tricob wrote:

I totally agree! She's also a great cook, and always has great avatars; even when we used to talk on the Dome forums.

Fixed. Wink

Ha, seeing my name there, maybe I should start my own jackass campaign? Free ice cream for everyone on my party!

wolfie3dfan wrote:
Cutest Wolfer: hmmm Will get back on that one since there are many many many.

Oh, come on Barbara, you know you want to pick Ariel! Laughing

Thomas wrote:
Most Annoying Wolf3d member: I don't think I can post that here.

Were you going to say TheTalentedMrLeo? I say put the admins/moderators in the poll! Devil

Loki wrote:
Where are their works for 2005 ? No offense but each time somebody opens this kind of thread, people post "anachronistic" votes.

I agree. Not as much content to work with, but it seems like focusing on 2005 (or atleast 2004-05) could work out the best.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:02 pm

I have my own post to re-edit as well ...
Quote:
Best Sprite Artist: Since I'll limit this to complete mods, I'll say Sporb for his work on Dead Reckoning.
I should have said that it was limited to mods that were actually *released*, not completed.
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 35
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:00 pm

Chris wrote:

Were you going to say TheTalentedMrLeo? I say put the admins/moderators in the poll! Devil

I thought about that. Wink

Chris wrote:

Loki wrote:
Where are their works for 2005 ? No offense but each time somebody opens this kind of thread, people post "anachronistic" votes.

I agree. Not as much content to work with, but it seems like focusing on 2005 (or atleast 2004-05) could work out the best.

My whole focus was suppose to be for mods of 2005, with the exception of Wolf3d contributors (Artists, mappers, etc.) from years past.
WLHack
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

finland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:24 am

"Best" Sprite Artist: WLHack

I am not the best (and this post has nothing to do with selfishness)...
But I have urge to vote me (not kidding Cheesy Grin ) everytime it is possible.
Dr. Chainsaw
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:35 am

WLHack wrote:
"Best" Sprite Artist: WLHack

I am not the best (and this post has nothing to do with selfishness)...
But I have urge to vote me (not kidding Cheesy Grin ) everytime it is possible.

No I think its true.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:42 pm

Wow, so many people have nominated me for best texture artist of 2005 - many thanks for the compliaments folks!
dunkelschwamm
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 11
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:49 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Best Texture Artist: Lord Raffles (you deserve it, man!)
Best Sprite Artist: A tie between Majik Monkee and Ian Summerfeld, but I'd have to go with Majik
Best Modder: The Josh
Best Mod: Trench Warfare, so The Josh still

Well, those are my thoughts.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: