DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Mapping contest started up again!
Page 1 of 16 Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 163

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:20 pm
   Subject: Mapping contest started up again!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Okay.

I always wanted to partake in a big, good old genuine mapping contest, like Map Melée. It was enjoyable with all those different kind of mappers. It could be great if this contest could be with 30 levels also. 60 is kinda too much. What do you think? It's just an idea that crossed my mind.

Thomas.

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:56 am; edited 4 times in total
Schabbs
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 33
uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:35 pm
   Subject: Re: Gotta break the ice here...(Mapping contest?)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

A good idea as long as there are enough mappers and judges to take part in it. There seems to be an increase in Wolf 3D activity since Christmas so hopefully there will be enough mappers/judges who are interested.

A maximum of 30 levels seems about right. Smile

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 66
finland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:51 pm

I like the sound of this... I do hope this will be reality one day.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:55 pm

Well...alright. If any of you guys want to do a map or two, say so! Then it's a little started. Smile

But good mappers! Please report if you find this interesting. (Arielus, ack, Adhesive_Boy etc., and other guys who have been in Map Melée.) But everyone is welcome!

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Raziel
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 49
israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:24 pm

It would be a great thing so see some new mappers and ideas running around Laughing
Good luck to anyone that participate in it Wink

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 66
finland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:25 pm

As you might quessed, I am interested.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:01 pm

Quessed? Laughing Well. Interested...you could just say "I would do a map" or so. But okay! It's just normal Wolf3D. You, and those who want to contribute here...just mail me your map in .MAP-file. It would be the easiest. Thanks.

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:59 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:04 pm

Thomas wrote:
Well...alright. If any of you guys want to do a map or two, say so! Then it's a little started. Smile

But good mappers! Please report if you find this interesting. (Arielus, ack, Adhesive_Boy etc., and other guys who have been in Map Melée.) But everyone is welcome!

You kinda contradicted urself there. Saying only good mappers may join...then claiming anyone can join.

Anyways, I was in a bit of a mapmaking mood lately, I might make one for this if my computer gets fixed.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:09 pm

Well..then I made a mistake. "Good" - I would define "experienced" - those who tried that before. AND those who don't have much experience. It could be a great mix. That was what I meant. And hey...it sounds good if you can do a map. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:36 am

Oh yes...I forgot to tell you:

How many maps are each mapper gonna do? That depends on how many mappers there'll contribute. If there is 10 mappers..it's 3 maps per person. If it's 15 mappers (unusual) it's 2 maps. And so on...still, everyone is welcome to contribute.

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 54
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:32 pm

Hey, this sounds good. As someone's who's new to mapping, but quite happy with what I've made so far, I'd love to have a go.

Just some questions first...

Wolf, not SOD?
Are we doing any changes, or using basic wolf textures etc.?
Any coding changes allowed?
How many maps each? (Are we doing the 3 map start-middle-finish thing like in melee?)
Time span?
End date?
List of users and/or judges?
Bosses?

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:03 pm

I'm in the mood to make another map, and it wouldn't necessarily be for my upcoming TC, so I guess I can offer to do a map or two here. Might as well make it two. Thumbs Up

Dean raises a good point, though. Why Wolfenstein instead of SOD? If we had the option of Ammo Boxes, that would leave a little more room on the list for Static Objects. And we'd have a higher variety of walls.

Of course, if the EXE was modified so that the "Aardwolf" logo was an Ammo Box, and the SOD walls added to the VSWAP, we'd then have the best of both worlds here - all the useful objects intact, such as Sinks, Beds, and Pots And Pans, as well as the extra wall images of Spear, and its additional option of Ammo Boxes.

I'd even be willing to make all these changes myself, then send them to a DHW user to upload on a website for the other map competitors to download. What do you say, Thomas?
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:42 pm

@Dean: SOD had a mapset released recently. I would like a Wolf3D set coming out instead. But it's only 30 levels, Episodes 1, 2 & 3. Not all 60 maps.

Coding changes...in some topic Chris talked about if this mapping contest could have 128x128 maps. Sounds like an interesting idea.

And Tricob...that "Aardwolf" which is an ugly version of "Debris 1" ...I'll see if someone could make it an Ammobox. It would crack a little of the originality though.

Who'll compile the EXE? Neutral

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:55 pm

Thomas wrote:
And Tricob...that "Aardwolf" which is an ugly version of "Debris 1" ...I'll see if someone could make it an Ammobox. It would crack a little of the originality though.

I know how to make an Ammo Box out of the Aardwolf logo already. I got the tutorial to do so months ago. Cool
Quote:
Who'll compile the EXE? Neutral

BC 3.1 seems to be running fine on my machine, so I'm perfectly willing to compile it. Smile

As long as I'm at it, I think no one would mind it if I got rid of those "Out Of Memory!" errors we get when running the newer maps, so since it requires only inserting one single line of code anyway ... Geek

- My god, we're SO screwed.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 56
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:22 pm

Thomas wrote:
...in some topic Chris talked about if this mapping contest could have 128x128 maps. Sounds like an interesting idea.

Heh. Well as I sorta mentioned there, in 16-bit Borland, those dimensions would be pretty tricky to manage (atleast if you wanted to add a ton of extra static objects and enemies beyond the original limits too), but if anyone wants to take a stab at making some 128x128 maps with 32-bit Watcom, here's an exe you could use. Just unzip the contents of that archive to your wolf3d directory and run the batch file if you want to try it (any of the current WOLF4GW quirks still apply).

Using WDC to make the map as 128x128 first then saving it (or pasting all your ideas into WDC afterwards) would probably work best, as that exe I posted just loads all the data directly from one map. I put the limits like this for now: 1000 enemies, 2500 static objects, 128 doors, 75 floorcodes. The enemies/static/floorcodes can be easily increased, but making the level have more than 128 non-secret doors would require doing a little more tweaking around with the tilemap/struct setups. Think

Looks like Tricob is most interested in making the exe, so I'm not trying to get in the way; just thought I'd post that idea for anyone who wanted to play around with it.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:52 am

Good new limits, Chris. I think I've heard of them before. Wink

BTW: I tried that 128x128 map EXE. It's weird randomness though, but damn they are huge!!! Good idea...maybe it shouldn't be 30 maps, if there really should be those huge maps. Is it possible to make 96x96? Laughing

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:33 pm

Chris wrote:
Looks like Tricob is most interested in making the exe, so I'm not trying to get in the way; just thought I'd post that idea for anyone who wanted to play around with it.

Actually, I could always let you E-Mail me the source of this 128x128 mod, and I could modify that version of the source instead of the original code that Id released. The code changes involving episode names, par times, and Ammo Boxes aren't terribly hard to do, even in source code updated by another coder.

The catch to this is - Each mapper would be stuck using WDC rather than having their choice of Mapedit, WDC, or Chaos Edit. Are available mappers going to forgo doing their submissions because they have to use WDC? There are a lot of users out there that prefer not to use WDC for various reasons, including the task of "Creating a project file", among other things. Is this a limitation that Thomas and company are really going to want? I'd like the readers of this thread to submit their views of this issue. Smile
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:54 pm

I've had a bit of a look at WDC but couldn't really get it going, I'm sure I probably could but just need a bit more messing around with it, it does eem abit more complicated than other editors though.

I prefer to use either Mapedit of Floedit but agree that it would probably best to leave it up to something most people may be familiar with, just to help make things as user friendly as possible.

With using 128x128 walls. Would we all be using the same set to keep some sort of continuity?

I'm happy to create in whatever format is decided but the more we get away from the standard formats the more time it may take, especially if I and others have to get used to using a new editor.

Getting excited about starting, can we make a final decision on what we're going to use and get started soon?

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:41 pm

Dean wrote:
With using 128x128 walls. Would we all be using the same set to keep some sort of continuity?

Uh, Dean ... we're talking about 128x128 maps, not walls. The only thing that'll be changed (other than very minor things) from the original 60-level Wolfenstein is that the Aardwolf logo sprite is replaced with SOD's Ammo Box, so we can fit more Static Objects in our maps.

Of course, if I'm mistaken, someone please correct me. Very Happy
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:47 pm

Chris wrote:
Heh. Well as I sorta mentioned there, in 16-bit Borland, those dimensions would be pretty tricky to manage (atleast if you wanted to add a ton of extra static objects and enemies beyond the original limits too), but if anyone wants to take a stab at making some 128x128 maps with 32-bit Watcom, here's an exe you could use. Just unzip the contents of that archive to your wolf3d directory and run the batch file if you want to try it (any of the current WOLF4GW quirks still apply).

Am I doing something wrong? I can't seem to turn much of anywhere without all the objects disappearing, and can't play for two minutes straight before the whole program drops without explanation (No "Wolfenstein 3-D Error!" or anything). I've ran it three times.
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:09 pm

Tricob wrote:

Uh, Dean ... we're talking about 128x128 maps, not walls. The only thing that'll be changed (other than very minor things) from the original 60-level Wolfenstein is that the Aardwolf logo sprite is replaced with SOD's Ammo Box, so we can fit more Static Objects in our maps.

Ummm...your not mistaken, it was me! Sorry man. First thing in the morning and i'm dead tired today.

Havent had a go at 128x128 maps but that's going to lead to some pretty huge maps...a lot more possibilities too!
More than happy to have a go, have download Chris's exe and will try when i get home form work tonight.

Are we any closer to making a final decision on what we're doing, when we're starting etc.

<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:11 pm

Tricob wrote:

Ummm...your not mistaken, it was me! Sorry man. First thing in the morning and i'm dead tired today.

Havent had a go at 128x128 maps but that's going to lead to some pretty huge maps...a lot more possibilities too!
More than happy to have a go, have download Chris's exe and will try when i get home form work tonight.

Are we any closer to making a final decision on what we're doing, when we're starting etc.?
I'm just a bit of a perfectionist with my maps and need to give myself as much time as possible. Have some ideas but they develop much quicker whan i'm actually in the building stage.

EDIT: Damn, it posted twice again! This is the 2nd time this has happened, i click the preview button and it posts! After I've finished i click submit and it posts again meaning 2 posts...Is this happening to anyone else? Is there some way to stop it from happening?

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:53 pm

Ok, it's interesting that the idea is being considered. It's really up to you guys though, it was just an idea.

Tricob wrote:
The catch to this is - Each mapper would be stuck using WDC rather than having their choice of Mapedit, WDC, or Chaos Edit.

Well, I could make it so that it would just attach 4 maps together in Mapedit in memory (or 2-3, since as Thomas said 128x128 would be alot), then send you the source code, though I think separating them into 64x64 chunks might be a little harder to picture visually when creating the actual maps in the editor.

Tricob wrote:
Am I doing something wrong? I can't seem to turn much of anywhere without all the objects disappearing, and can't play for two minutes straight before the whole program drops without explanation (No "Wolfenstein 3-D Error!" or anything). I've ran it three times.

Did you make some 128x128 maps yet? You'd just get crazy randomness if you played the exe with 64x64 ones. Best way to deal with the program dropping out in 64x64 maps is to try and kill the enemies that are trying to walk towards the border of the map as fast as you can (though I think this only applies to user maps, I think the originals work ok). Could be a fun challenge to try though, if you're really bored and want to make the 64x64 maps more stable - heh. Wink

Dean wrote:

Are we any closer to making a final decision on what we're doing, when we're starting etc.?
I'm just a bit of a perfectionist with my maps and need to give myself as much time as possible. Have some ideas but they develop much quicker whan i'm actually in the building stage.

Sounds cool Dean. Might take a while to create the level, but it should be interesting to see what you come up with. Have fun! Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:18 pm
   Subject: Re: Mapping contest

Chris wrote:
Well, I could make it so that it would just attach 4 maps together in Mapedit in memory (or 2-3, since as Thomas said 128x128 would be alot), then send you the source code, though I think separating them into 64x64 chunks might be a little harder to picture visually when creating the actual maps in the editor.

I'd agree with you there. I think making a short "preview 128x128 maps" EXE would rectify the problem, though.

At any rate, I honestly don't know if I'm really ready to do a 128x128 map; the thought of such a large map kind of blows my mind. But I'll think about it. Smile
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:16 pm
   Subject: Re: Mapping contest

Tricob wrote:
Chris wrote:

I'd agree with you there. I think making a short "preview 128x128 maps" EXE would rectify the problem, though.

At any rate, I honestly don't know if I'm really ready to do a 128x128 map; the thought of such a large map kind of blows my mind. But I'll think about it. Smile

Yeah i'm kind of thinking the same thing. Although I am excited about making a map that large, I don't think there's much chance of getting more than 1 map out for the competition, what with the map being so large.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:30 pm

In another thread, Dean wrote:
Have been talking to Thomas about a mapping comp in a different thread but that seems a little slow to get going.

I wouldn't say it's slow to get going. If someone contributes a map (in any shape or form they want) then I'm sure people can continue from there.
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:37 pm

I've been working on maps and have a few ideas, nothing completed yet.

All i meant was that we hadn't decided on exactly what we we're going to do and have had little response from anyone else about being involved, that i'm aware of.

Just thought that by doing things in an official way by announcing the people involoved the start and end date and the guidelines would be a better way to go so that others can then see whats involved and include themselves.

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:21 am
   Subject: Re: Mapping contest? Bump: Still keen?

Last edited by Thomas on Sat May 28, 2011 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:38 pm

Chris wrote:
I wouldn't say it's slow to get going.

Now I would say that it's slow to get going Chris! Cheesy Grin

I'm still interested in participating.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:20 pm
   Subject: Re: Mapping contest? Bump: Still keen?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I can participate *if* its 64x64 and not 128x128. That's just too big a map for me to handle.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 16 Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to: