DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Hardware Issues
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:35 pm
   Subject: Re: Get Psyched a Wolf3d\doom Like Game i made
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

OT -

TheTalentedMrLeo wrote:
Ah, the S3 Trio is quite an antique. There's your problem.

Makes sense. When the harddisk fried the graphics card, motherboard, modem, and floppy drive, I had to have them all replaced; I specifically stated that I didn't care what I had it replaced with, as long as I could get back to the work I was doing when my harddisk problem started. I wanted to get the machine back ASAP, so that meant replacing the fried hardware with any cheap stuff that did the job.

The scary part is - the very harddisk that fried all those compontents is still in my PC right now, since I could never get it replaced. Shocked

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. Hopefully next week, I can look over the graphics card in my old Pentium, which will run all the graphics modes I want. If there's any chance I can get it running in WinXP Pro, I'll do that. Cheesy Grin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:00 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tricob wrote:
Howling_Wolf wrote:
what kind of graphic card you are using?

Windows says I have an "S3 Trio32/64" ... whatever that is. Shrug

it is completely outdated, if you have AGP slot, then get new GF3 or 4 series graphics card which they are getting cheaper right now, 'cause of newer PCI-Express being around the corner somewhere and are very expensive now...

Check these video card out which you can afford it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130267

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130262

or

Other Video Cards (Only Selected AGP if you have one)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010380048+4027+1068309611&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48

I already built own custome computer, I bought BFG Gefocre 6800GT OC at almost US$ 400.00 last year.. right now you can see this video gotten cheaper than mine Wink

Wish you good luck for choose right video card and right price..... Cheesy Grin
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:54 pm

OT yet again ...

What video cards support the 640x480 256-color mode in DOS? I know for a fact that the one in my old Pentium does.

Also, could you (or anyone else, for that matter) point me to some reliable harddisks of at least 10 Gigabytes in size? Replacing the one I have is now pretty much top priority, for now-obvious reasons. (shiver)

Thanks for all your help so far. After this post, I don't intend to hijack the thread any longer ... Mouth Shut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:52 pm

Yes, almost all Video cards does support DOS games' graphics even it support 4 colors like old XT games.. Wink 10gb hard drives seems hard to find, but 20 gb hard drives still avaliable everywhere...

you can buy new 20 gb hard drive for less then 35.00

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1175100&CatId=522

it will work with your old computer..
Sporb2000
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:42 pm

off topic = my radeon 9550 256mb 128bit graphics card cost me 100$NZ - its pretty damn powerfull and should run most everything bar the newest of games.

Bring 'em On

Topics: 3
finland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:18 am

Sporb2000 wrote:
off topic = my radeon 9550 256mb 128bit graphics card cost me 100$NZ - its pretty damn powerfull and should run most everything bar the newest of games.

More OT: I think you could mod it to 9600 Pro Mr Green
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:11 pm

Sigh ... OT yet again -

Quote:
Yes, almost all Video cards does support DOS games' graphics even it support 4 colors like old XT games..
What brands don't? I know for a fact that the S3 Trio doesn't; not once have I gotten the 640x480x256 mode to work on it (MESS 0.37 Beta 8; not to mention "Splat").

Quote:
10gb hard drives seems hard to find, but 20 gb hard drives still avaliable everywhere...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1175100&CatId=522

Any brands I should avoid? I know my father has had numerous harddisks crash on him in a short time (several years ago). One harddrive in particular - this is a quote from him - "barfed out its File Allocation Tables".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:21 pm

Tricob wrote:
Sigh ... OT yet again -

Quote:
Yes, almost all Video cards does support DOS games' graphics even it support 4 colors like old XT games..
What brands don't? I know for a fact that the S3 Trio doesn't; not once have I gotten the 640x480x256 mode to work on it (MESS 0.37 Beta 8; not to mention "Splat").

Embarassed ah! I meant all of newer video cards will support them like I said..

Quote:
Quote:
10gb hard drives seems hard to find, but 20 gb hard drives still avaliable everywhere...

Any brands I should avoid? I know my father has had numerous harddisks crash on him in a short time (several years ago). One harddrive in particular - this is a quote from him - "barfed out its File Allocation Tables".

if you get new hard drive, then you would have 3 to 5 years warranty comes with hard drive. if happens, you will have to send defective hard drive to what brand of company that matches with hard drive (not to Tigerdirect.com), they will replace defective hard drive with new one if warranty is verified. (handling & shipping are your responsibe to be paid, they will not cover both ways of S&H costs)
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:07 pm
   Subject: Re: Hardware Issues

Thanks for your help, guys. Very Happy

Thanks also to Leo for separating this discussion into a separate thread. IMO, it has some handy information that I think will be useful to other visitors of DHWs Forum. Thumbs Up
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:47 pm

I got a 160GB Seagate HD for about $60 at OfficeMax, but that was a few months ago... it's not on sale anymore, but I'd keep a watch on them. Seagate is a good company. I've heard some bad stuff about Western Digital and some good stuff about Maxtor. At least, I think I got the last two the right way around.

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:52 pm

if you do get a radeon 9X be sure to ditch the crappy stock fan for somthing that doesnt sqwark like a cat stapled to a revolving door. Mines just gone bad, my mates went bad not long ago, my mates mates never worked and now he has artifacts and stuff, my brothers sounds like a hair dryer. Like MJR said, the 9550 is overclockable to a degree if you noes wort ur doon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:50 pm

Sporb2000 wrote:
if you do get a radeon 9X be sure to ditch the crappy stock fan for somthing that doesnt sqwark like a cat stapled to a revolving door. Mines just gone bad, my mates went bad not long ago, my mates mates never worked and now he has artifacts and stuff, my brothers sounds like a hair dryer. Like MJR said, the 9550 is overclockable to a degree if you noes wort ur doon

That one similair fan problem I had, so I been replacing all fans in case includes video card and power supply, noisy fan caused by dust builtup. Next door where the landscape located over the street make alot of dust all over apartment area.. That's why the dust floating around these apartments and caused my computer's 4 fans whirring noises.. If you have same thing with fans, then simply find new fans that match case, VC, PS, etc's sizes and replace all or some of fans with new one, New Video card have big heat sink along with 1 or 2 fans are pretty hard to replace them, but they are upgradable to new liquid cooling system if you follow the manual correctly and work prefectly without any problems (includes any CPU's too)

For imformation about liquid cooling system, click here.

more Liquid Cooling System informations, click here.
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 36
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:37 am

Adam Biser wrote:
I got a 160GB Seagate HD for about $60 at OfficeMax, but that was a few months ago... it's not on sale anymore, but I'd keep a watch on them. Seagate is a good company. I've heard some bad stuff about Western Digital and some good stuff about Maxtor. At least, I think I got the last two the right way around.

A friend of mine purchased a Seagate 160GB drive from Staples a few months back too. Not but a couple of months later the hard drive was shot. As far as Seagate building quality hard drives, it just isn't there. I'd stick with Maxtor of Western Digital high-end drives.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:19 pm

Maxtor has some mirror drawbacks, I tested WD and Maxtor hard drives, both sides are same kind of speed, WD runs cooler than Maxtor does when they are not in enclosed case, Maxtor HDs runs heat very quickly about 30 minutes, even hard drive is in enclosed case. That's why I chosen WD instead of Maxtor.. My newest computer uses WD SATA 150 hard drive amd it still runs cooler while it's in enclosed case.. I don't test other kind of brand of hard drives yet.. Wink
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:31 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Western Digital has been on my s**t list for quite a while now, thanks to some first-hand experience with one I was stuck with in my 80286 days. Come to think of it, just about everything in the computer pretty much sucked - the motherboard was non-upgradable, the video card was non-upgradable, maximum amount of memory was 3 1/2 MB, you couldn't replace any of the COM ports without replacing the motherboard itself altogether, and whenever the battery backup for the BIOS memory ran out of juice, you couldn't access the harddisk at all until the battery was replaced. Small wonder Emerson Computers didn't last beyond the 80386 days.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: