DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Storylines
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

How do you think about storylines?
Essential. No good mod without a good storyline.
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Important. Without a storyline there's no goal to accomplish.
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Nice to have, but not necessary. It's all about gameplay.
50%
 50%  [ 11 ]
I don't care about them. I just wanna have a blast.
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Voted : 22
Total Votes : 22

MCS
Site Administrator
<B>Site Administrator</B>

Topics: 20
netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm
   Subject: Storylines
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

This subject has been discussed in the forums many times before, mainly "between the lines" so to speak.
I'd like to hear your opinion about this.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 164

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:14 pm
   Subject: Re: Storylines
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Last edited by Thomas on Sat May 28, 2011 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:34 pm

Storylines are definitely a great little extra, but I can certainly have fun without feeling like I've got some important role to take. I'll give two non-Wolf3D examples: Final Fantasy Tactics has, in my opinion, the BEST storyline ever crafted, plus it's got great gameplay, and said gameplay is enhanced by the storyline. When you encounter someone who's sold their soul to the Lucavi and they go insane on your party, it's personal. Plus there are such battles as the battle with Algus at Fort Zeakden (likely spelled wrong, or even the wrong name), where he just kills Delita's sister, not the dude who was holding her captive. The goal of that battle is to kill Algus, and rightfully so, because he's a bastard.
Then there's stuff like the earlier Mega Man games, where there's clearly a story, but it's not so heavily involved that you feel like you're the little blue robot and you've got to save the world. The story's nice to have, but when I was younger all I knew was that you were fighting evil robots who were controlled by Dr. Wily, and he got away every freaking time. They're still hella-fun, though, and they're a good example of the fact that good gameplay can alone make a game fun.
Those are not Wolf3D TCs, but the examples translate well to Wolf3D. I rarely play a TC where I'm like "Okay, I'm a hardened soldier who's got to save the world from genociding maniacs, kay, no pressure", most of the time I'm just like "Oh what, you're about to shoot me Mr. SS? OH! I just went behind a freaking WALL! Just keep shooting for a few seconds, I'll come out. BAM-BAM-BAM! Like Emeril, I'm all up in your face, mofo! Now gimme your ammo." Some TCs, such as Spear: Resurrection, really give me a good thread running through the game that I keep in mind the whole time. Every time I saw a clone, I remembered "Damn, they made you guys out of shit! Those bastards!", and I'd remember the storyline I'd read. It didn't get to the extent that Final Fantasy Tactics did, though, but that's okay, because it's an action game. Final Fantasy Tactics, similar to most Final Fantasy games, has the action slowed down so you're strategically planning out a battle that's technically going on much faster than it looks, and that's a real turn-off for some people, but we won't get into that. Wolfenstein is an action game, you've got to think about how you're going to complete the level with 2% health after getting jumped by an officer, not about how the guy you're out to kill sent millions to concentration camps. Sad, but that's just how it works for me. Even when I meet a big bad boss, the procedure is often so similar that I'm like "Oh, you goin' DOWN!" instead of "You douche, you masterminded a chemical war!" I guess a way to personalize the battle would be to really weave the story into every action of the game, stick some dialogue in there, maybe the occasional taunt in battle, but is that what people really want? I dunno, might spice things up for me, I don't know about everyone else out there, though.
Okay, that was my mind just dumping into the text box, I probably shouldn't proofread it like I normally do or I'll be like "What the hell is this crap?" Maybe I should cut down on the dialogue, too, since this is all just me talking... Shrug

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:34 pm

Personally I feel that storylines add a lot to the mod; by that I mean a lot. I'm not just talking here about having a goal to achieve or something like that; I think if a game has a strong storyline, this can provide ideas for the creator to explore that just wouldn't be there if someone was merely making a simple set of levels.

By 'storyline' I'm also making the assumption that this is a term that does not only cover written storylines, but also the central theme of a game, and any ideas that spring from that. So basically - whether it is written down or not - a storyline is essential; a game without any backstory in my view would basically be a puzzle game like Tetris, or a card game or something.

I don't like Tetris or card games. Razz

(You do find some abstract-style shmups where all the graphics do not represent any theme or underlying storyline at all - but personally, I think things like this use their deliberate wierdness and lack of form as a central theme. So nerr.)

<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:23 pm

Personally, I voted "Important". I voted this way because the storyline does a few things or should do a few things for you before you play the game. It should:

1. Define the background of the game.
  2. Give you a little hint about what is to come and the areas you will encounter.
  3. Give you the objective of the mission besides just shoot everything.
By all of those, I mean that the story sets the mood of the game, and gives you an idea of what you will be up against. It gives you the goals to aim for besides just frag everything to win. I've always thought about modifying the code so that while you cross the "Finish Line" to end the game, if you haven't done something then you really haven't completed the mission. But that strays from the topic... lol.. Anyhow... besides being a good read sometimes, I feel that I always get something from the author about the mood and goal they are trying to achieve when playing their mod. It gives you a little view into the authors mindset when they created the game.

Anyhow, that's just my thoughts...

Greg
BrotherTank
Haasboy
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 58
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:20 am

I agree with what BrotherTank said, and I think that the storyline is the hardest to come up with for a mod. As a storyline needs to get people to really be insterested into the mod and want to actually play it to see how it unfolds. Mod storylines that have really court my eye, are mods mostly done by Areyep (especially Spear Resurrection and End of Destiny).

Storylines for my mods may take sometime to write untill I actually come up with what I want. For example my "The Final Testament" mod, I rewrote that a couple times before I was completely happy and now that it's written I can come up with various ideas that can implement...

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 54
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:09 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

For me it depends on the mod and the work that has gone in to.
If you're making a straight escape from prison, kill Hitler and every other guard along the way mod with little or no changes from the original game then there is no need for a 25 page story in your 'read this'. (I won't be reading it if you do!)

If you are doing something completely new, like EoD, then i will read it.

If a storyline is important to you for your creativity levels of your game, then by all means go ahead and make one. Just remember that others are going to read this, so please, let it make sense. There have been so many that don't and that's why i don't bother to read most of them and more than likely wont be doing anything more than a few pages in any of my mod's.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: