DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

post your gaming history!
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
lwmxynedtodth
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 38
netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:15 am
   Subject: post your gaming history!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hey,
I just installed Tomb Raider on my old laptop when a new post topic came up onto me, and which
I became really interested for.

Where did your "gaming-career" started? What was your first game? How old were you?
How did you got to it? Maybe you can post a short summary or something.

Here's mine:
I started when I was 8, somewhere around 1997, with playing computer games.
My first pc was a monochrome 386, I got it from my dad. He bought it, for a lot of money he told,
when he was studieing. He made his graduate script on it, he studied Theology.
Now it was mine, and I got a bunch of oversized floppies with it. On it were interesting programs.
I examined dos, he told me how, and I figured out how to play Pitfall and Astroids.
Those were my first. No Doom, no Wolf3D.

Then I found a book in the library called "QBasic." I started programming on that first computer.
After that pc, I got one from friends, and then another when my father bought a new one and I got the old.
On this pc I started "real" gaming. I bought "Tomb Raider" from a flee-market,
and played it. I got a few floppies from a friend of mine, including Jack Rabbit, Rise of the Triad and One May Fall 2097.
I played those, I really liked ROTT.
Now some other gaming came in. The faster computers, around 2000. I played titles like The Sims, Tomb Raider 2, 3 and 4.
Rollercoaster Tycoon was one of my favorites in that time. And until now, MOHAA, and my favorite, Hitman.

As you see, Wolfenstein 3D wasn't really in my gaming history. I kinda got it a few years ago,
while searching for a wolf-like graphic rendering engine.
I liked it, and started to play it. But with the overwhelming graphics from that time, I didn't play it for so long.
About a year ago I found it again, and was caught by the simplicity of it. I started searching for information,
and got to FloEdit. I replaced some walls, tried do modify the source code. That last one didn't work out for me,
so I got bored and I stopped the minor "modding". Now a few months ago, I remembered how I was modding Wolf3D.
I am now older than that time, do have a lot more experience in programming, so I
started with a few good tutorials from the Dome. And so I got to this forum.

As you see, I think I was very young starting with gaming. Actually, I did not live in the time
gaming started. However, because my parents did not have enough money to buy the cutting-edge from that time,
I relived some of the old games by using old hard/software. I think Pitfall was my first. Imagine an old floppy, those big ones, with an exe with Pitfall on it, written in C and totally ACSI. That is real cool.

I am currently fond of Hitman, all four games. I must say I did not played the fourth yet,
getting it "elsewhere" now. Pity, it does not go very fast. I am planning to make a mod for Max Payne 1,
I know it is modded very much, but it has a real good engine. Otherwise it will be Quake 1.
I am also playing Enemy Territory, it is real fun. A few weeks ago I started playing Morrowind,
big RPG's are my favorite. But stealth is on top, of course.

I must note something about the future. Because I really want to join the enthusiasts of
the gaming industry. After my school, I am now in 5VWO - dutch measurements, I want to do a study
called "Game Design and Development" in Utrecht. I hope I got selected for that study, and I think it is something
I really like.

Hopefully I gave you wolfers some sneek-peek of my gaming experience and history.
I am really interested in yours.

- lwmxynedtodth

PS: Listening "Une beau romance" from Michel Fugain now. It really fits this topic.

Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:10 pm
   Subject: Re: post your gaming history!
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Last edited by Thomas on Sat May 28, 2011 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sporb2000
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:03 pm

Yesterday with Farcry

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:12 pm

Sporb2000 wrote:
Yesterday with Farcry

hehe.

I was thinking, and it was some scrolling space shooter, where at the end of each level you fought some electronic field...of electricity. I was about 6, and it was on my Grandads computer.

Then came Wolf. The moment he installed it i luved it. I remember how stupid i was wen he switched from sharware to full...i accidently went to episode 2 without thinking, and when i got to schabbs, which to me was supposed to be Hans, i was all woaah! arent i supposed to fight some blonde guy??? Wat the hell am i playing then?

Good Times. Btw, if anyone can help me with wat the first game is called (I think it starts with Z), that'd be great. It's not raptor!

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:16 pm

Deathwish wrote:
Btw, if anyone can help me with wat the first game is called (I think it starts with Z), that'd be great. It's not raptor!
The names that come to mind for me would be Zero Wing or Zaxxon.

My first gaming experience as far as arcade games were concerned was probably Centipede. As far as home computers were concerned, I had this 8-bit, semi-educational space game called "Atom". I still program for the 8-bit machine that game was made for, such as the Ladderman 2 game I've posted about in the Howling Wolfers section.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:29 pm

where the fssk did Chris' post go???

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
lwmxynedtodth
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:55 pm

I now realize I forgot a lot of games :p.
I also played GTA 1, 2 and 3, after VC I bombed. As a pity, I lost gta1. It rocks.
Just manage to get GTA III again on my pc, and as Thomas, I like the driving. Just speeding up,
slipping through a corner and speeding again.

Unreal Tournament, yes #1 GOTY, is still my favorite. It was really cutting edge in that time.
I remember owning all my schoolmates in the school library, getting silly faces of the
women behind the desk.

When you said paint, I remember one of my first modding "attempts."
You remember pokemon? I was trying to create such a bunch of weird monsters too,
called "Bonsor and Resto." With paint I created the first two levels of it, as a computer game.
With the pencil from paint, I was playing my "game" over and over again.

There was also a bunch of blue floppies in my life. Some Dutch distributor copied several
share/fullware games on floppies and distributed them. So I got to commander Keen, Boppin',
Nitemare3D, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

I had several OS's on my pc's. Starting with dos, after that windows 3.1 and so on.
But as I said, I was always fairly too late with my games and hardware. I was, and still am,
a budget gamer. Only buying good games, playing them 3 years after release. And only on pc.
Maybe the graphics of a mainstream pc cannot meet an Xbox, the gameplay still gets me.
After I did some work (read: a lot) in my holidays, I think I'm gonna buy a Nintendo DS.
My bro got one, and I really like it.

Thanks for your reply guys!
- lwmxynedtodth

EDIT: I remember my 0_o face when playing ROTT with Christmas. You know what I mean?

MJR
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 3
finland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:22 am

I think it was 1994 or 1995 when I first played SoD, Doom Shareware and Commander Keen 4 Shareware. A few years later I got a Playstation and my first game was Formula 1 98 (it sucks, I think now). 2002 I got a Playstation 2 and some game with a too long name to remember Mr Green The first computer that could run new games I got in 2003. Mostly I played Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory after getting DSL in 2004. And last Christmas I got a new computer. I'm still playin WolfET, and now I'm waiting for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. I think I should get a new graphics card for it, or possiby SLI Cheesy Grin
lwmxynedtodth
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:56 am

Ok, cool!
ET is one of my favorites, especially with the custom maps.
Looking forward to Quake Wars, just to see how Strogg is going to blaze us out of the universe.
Really interesting, not only fighting against Strogg (Quake 4), but also with and as them (Quake Wars).
iD's is dev, right? And yes, you'd better get a good graphics card. Those cutting edge is hardly bearable with
a computer, just like TES: Oblivion. Is Quake Wars for console too?

As I said I just installed Tomb Raider, the first one, on my old laptop.
It runs almost smooth, and it's real funny to see how bad the graphics are.
The gameplay is nice, I still like it. But the graphics. The walls are shifting and bopping textures all the time,
and always the order of drawing is wrong. Standing behind a block and you still see Lara, that stuff.
However, it's good to play again.

- lwmxynedtodth

Blitzkrieg
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:02 pm

My gaming history:

PC:
Prince of Persia (the Mac version way back in 93 or 94!)
Jazz Jack Rabbit
Duke Nukem
Wolf-3d (this was the first game I have ever played. It was in 1991 or 1992, And I was 6 years old)
Spear of Destiny
Doom
Doom 2
Doom 3
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Tomb raider 3 (i think)
Hexen 2
Sims
Sims 2 / Nightlife
Dr. Brain
Ace Ventura

Playstation 1:
Mortal Kombat (but i forgot which one)
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
Spyro
Spyro 2
Spyro 3
Tomb Raider 2
Tomb Raider 4

Playstation 2
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly
SSX
SSX Tricky
SSX 3
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4

XBox
Halo
Halo 2
Tony Hawk: American Wasteland
Need for Speed Underground

theres probably wayyyy more I havent listed, but I cant remember them all. Too Cool

Last edited by Blitzkrieg on Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
lwmxynedtodth
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:39 am

Have almost all of your PC games played, except the further versions of games (doom 3, quake 3 etc).
Never had a console, only a gray gameboy and a bunch of pc's.
Now playing Hitman: Blood Money. It really rocks!

- lwmxynedtodth

Soldat 555

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:14 am

I've been playing games since before I can remember, but the earliest game I remember is Gunship on my dad's Tandy and I was 3 at the time. The next game I really got into was Wolfenstein 3d when I was 4 years old. Sadly, we never got a newer computer and my parents did not let me or my sibblings play anything with demons, so I entirely skipped the Doom and Duke Nukem 3d era. After Wolf3d, I got into 007: GoldenEye on my friend's Nintendo 64 back when I was 10. Then (This is in 2000) I got into PokeMon Yellow on my Game Boy, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Medal Of Honor and Medal Of Honor Underground on my brother's Playstation.

It wasn't until 2001 that I finally played Mortal Kombat Trilogy on my Nintendo 64, and Doom on my Super Nintendo. About 2 years later, I got into FPS tournament games such as Unreal Tournament and Quake III Revolution on my sister's PS2. Now, I'm really into Doom 3 on my XBox (I don't really like a lot of games EXCLUSIVE to XBox) along with Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic and MechAssault, the Resident Evil games on GameCube, and some older PC games I never played before such as Zork Nemesis, Star Wars: Dark Forces, and more.

The full story features more games but I don't wish to bore all of you.... too much. Laughing

Thunderstorm Joshua Aaron Waight Thunderstorm
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:43 am

First computer game I played was Dino Wars. http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/dinowars.html
And that would have been December of 1981. I also played many other games on the Color Computer 2, some were text adventures like Pyramid and Raaka-tu, some were ROM paks, like the mentioned Dino Wars. Atom, which Tricob mentioned, was great fun. I also remember Monster Maze, Grand Prix, Skiing, Project Nebula, MegaBug (I think that was the name), Microbes, Zaxxon, there were a lot of games on that system. Oh yeah, Lode Runner, I think that was the name, was a ton of fun for me.
Also got a Color Computer 3: Koronis Rifts, King's Quest 3, Rampage, several others.

Got an Atari 2600 and of course that means Combat. I have about 60 games for that, I think. Pac-man, Yar's Revenge, Defender, Raiders of the Lost Ark, many others for which I don't remember the names. Oh yeah, ET and FireQuest from around the time of "the fall".
Then moved to the Atari 7800: Pole Position II, Food Fight, Ball Blazer (these were great), and some others. Only had 8 of these, I think.

SNES: Final Fantasy II, Zelda 3, SimCity, Street Fight 2, several others
NES: Zelda, some others

Started PCs with an 80-88, then a 486, then Pentiums: Mission Impossible, the Kroz series, I got tons of shareware games for this, Bionic Commando, Operation CleanStreets. Then the Ultima series, Commander Keen 4 (demo version), Wolf3D, Doom, Doom2, then some Duke3D, Blood, Dink Smallwood is fun, then skip some years: Might and Magic 6, Schizm, RTCW, Quake3, Doom3, Majesty. I bought about 60 games that I've not even played yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:36 am

Final Fantasy II, that's such good fun! Smile

Thunderstorm Joshua Aaron Waight :storm
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:33 pm

Adam - you have the title right; "Megabug" is definitely the name. It was based on an Apple II game (even using the same exact sound clip "We gotcha!" when you got "eaten"), but the name of the Apple version escapes my mind. Shrug
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:27 pm

Dung Beetles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabug

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:31 pm

Deathwish wrote:

where the fssk did Chris' post go???

chris, seriously, wat happened to your post?!?

lwmxynedtodth
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:08 am

0_o most of you are older than I am - so you really lived the upcoming computer technology. I envy.
Although - most of them still are operating nowadays, so I'm enjoying my Super Nintendo with original All Stars.
One of you played the original Lost Levels? Those really R-O-C-K.

- lwmxynedtodth

WLHack
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 66
finland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:55 pm

Well my playing career started somewher 1992 at the "high" age of four...
We had just bought our first "real" computer (Some of my godfathers used to have Commodore those days)...

It wasn't a very powerfull computer... 386T prosessor, just few hundred megabytes of free memory...
And it used Windows 3.1. as a mainsystem (Its hard to remember anything "technical facts).

I had these games (and maybe some others too) in it):

Arkanoid,
Budokan,
ChessMaster2100 *,
Commander Keen 4 & 6,
Firepower,
Formula GP*,
Menage,
Overkill,
Prince of Persia,
Questron,
Rampage,
Rockford,
Tetris*,
WRC rally champions*,
Wolfensteim 3D fullversion,
Xenon2,

(* = I don't remember the names)

And then some interesting programs like QuickBasic (maybe 3.0.) and something that
counted correct weight that a certain types of trucks could carry depending on many
variables... Of course I didn't understand what I was doing, just noticed that pressing
certain buttons or typing certain words I could do interesting things.

---

Later when I had started school, my old computer "exploded" (smoke started to rise
from the screen or something as strange)...

And we bought IBM Aptiva (This I remember better since it is still in our living room)...
It was one of the "good" ones those days (Harddrive 4.7 GB, 400 Hrz and used Windows 98 ).
With that computer, I got some games like

X-Wing vs. Tie-fighters, Ultima 9 (but this one didn't run with that computer), Battlezone,
Some educational programs.

We also had the Internet installed and as I didn't know anything about piracy and copyrights
those days, I downloaded the computer nearly full of games like (but they all were destroyed
when I had to reboot the computer):

(Including the games of my old computer)
Action SuperCross (better known as Elastomania),
Arasan 22,
Desert strike,
Doom 2 (also some mods byLaz Rojas),
Jazz Jackrabbit 1,
Loom,
Maniac Mansion,
Nero5,
Prince of Persia: The shadow and flame,
Spear of Destiny + mission packs,
Tyrian
Xenon 1,
Zac McKracken (then some time later I downloaded Zac McKracken 2 - the fanproject),

Also Nesticle (Nintendo emulator), with games:

Addams Family,
Ducktales 1 & 2,
Castlevania,
Kirby Dreamland,
Maniac Mansion,
SuperMario Bros. 1-3,
Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutles 1-3,
Zelda
and some others.

Later I bought Monstertruck madness 2 and Rayman2 and Worms.

I also got familiar with Wolf3d -community via Mr. Lowes wolf page
and started to collect my first "Wolfenstein library" containing:

(Lots of WSJ mods... last one of them were the W.O.V-demo)
Berlin Express,
Beyond Wolfenstein 1 + 2se,
Chogace (I cracked it open with WolfEdit+Notepad and though I was genius...)
Death Key,
Golden Episodes,
Pineapplestein (I don't remember the right name but it had something to do with pineapples)
Spear Resurrection,
Spicenstein,
Tragedy at Istanbul,
Ultimate wolfenstein,
Operation Vertilgung,
Western Wall,
Weltuntergang,
Wolfbell 1-3,

And many other (also started playing around with Borland 3.1. those days)...

---

Then few years ago I got new computer as a gift because I got into high school...
(Windows XP, 1,2 GHrz, harddrive 140 GB but I expanded it with 250 GB few weeks
ago, AMD Athlon 3000+)...

---

Here is the list of the Games I have played trough (I don't include my Wolfenstein
library, since it would take few pages to note all of them down.):

PC:

Action SuperCross (well not actually finished)
Arasan 22,
Arkanoid,
Beyond Good and Evil,
Biomenace 1-3,
Budokan,
ChessMaster2100 ,
Cirque de la Zale,
Commander Keen 1- 6 and the Keen dreams,
Corridor 7,
(Darius Gaiden - played not finished),
Desert strike,
Disc world 2: the mortality bites,
Doom 1 & 2,
Driv3r (I have the Driver 1 & 2 as playstation games),
Firepower,
Formula GP,
Grand theft auto 1 & 2 (I have the GTA2, GTA I have played in my friends house)...
Half-life 1-2,
Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy (a text adventure),
Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis,
Indiana Jones and the last Crusade,
It came from the desert,
James Pond: Robocod,
Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2
Ken's Labyrinth,
Kyrandia 1-3,
Lada Ultimate challance,
Laura Bow 1-2,
Lemmings 2,
Loom,
Maniac Mansion 1 & Day of the Tentagle,
M.O.H: Allied & Pacific assault,
Menage,
Monkey Island 1 & 2,
Mortal Kombat 1 & 2,
Nero5,
Neverwinter nights (and the "expansion packs": Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of Underdark)
Nitemare 3D,
N.O.L.F 1-2,
Operation bodycount,
Overkill,
Plan 9 from outer space (it as good as the movie),
Prince of Persia,
Prince of Persia: The shadow and flame,
Prince of Persia: POP, Warrior within & T2T,
Questron,
Rampage,
Rayman 1 (also the levelpack called Rayman Gold),2 & 3 and Rayman M,
Rockford,
Sam & Max hit the road,
Simon the Sorcerer...
SpaceQuest 1 - 6,
Spear of Destiny + mission packs,
Tetris,
The Incredible machine,
The lost vikings,
The Thing,
Tomb raider 4 & 5,
Tyrian,
Ultima series 3-5, 7-9 (also played the Stygian abyss and the Labyriths of World),
WRC rally champions,
Wolfenstein 3D fullversion,
Worms 1 & Armageddon,
Xenon 1 & 2,
Zac McKracken 1 & 2

And lots of RPGmaker games like Endless Nova, Legion Saga 1 - 3 etc.

Note this is just a quick listing (I don't remember all the games I have/had),
and I sent you the list of the PSX and PS2 games I have played later...

Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:26 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

When I was a kid, I had "played" (if you want to call it that) about every type of game... Wing Commander, command and conquer, Populas and Promise lands, even Eye of the Beholder!

But The ones That I LOVED the most were Wolfenstein, Spear of Destiney, and especially Doom...

Those were the days... to bad I was too young to remember all of them... Smile

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: