DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Questionaire
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:18 pm
   Subject: Questionaire
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hey Everyone... Doctor took me off of the meds that were making my life a real living hell today, and I already am starting to feel more alert (but that's a different thread... lol..) ... Anyhow...

I made mention earlier that I was working on changing things and adding things to the forums, and I have sort of come to a block in the road... First let me say that you will love the changes already done... it fixes many of the bugs and problems that have been in the software almost from the start... but again... different story... Anyhow...

0. What browsers are you using and what is your screen size set to?

1. What do you think of the layout of the current styles?

2. Is there anything that you have found on the site that doesn't work??

3. If I could offer different colours ie: Gray, Purple, Blue, Green, Red, Orange, and Black - which would be the most likely choice or what colours do you like?

4. Does anyone care or use the statistics option?

5. What about the Quiz Option?

6. What about the Top 10 Charts Option?

7. The Chat Room?

8. The Links Option (which I think I'll keep now that I've got a proper working version of it - took me two weeks to decipher the code and make it work properly... )???

Anyhow... It's mostly Layout and colour options that I'm looking at now... so Answer the above stuff and we'll see what we can do. Also, anyone wanting to add their site into the Links section of the forums... I need a Link Logo graphic 175px wide by 99px high... in gif, png, or jpg format - now that that program works the way it should (at least it is here locally), I really need that size logo link to make the program perfect... you'll understand when you see it... Till then, I'm off to play around with more options and code.... between therapy sessions...

Greg
BrotherTank
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:49 pm
   Subject: Kefka is dead
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I use Firefox, but occasionally switch to IE when Firefox is going really slow. My resolution is plain ol' mom an' pop 1024x768.

I like the links organization. Most of the time I don't notice minor nuances, at least not consciously.

Nothing that I can find. I haven't had a posting effup in a looooong time.

3. If I could offer different colours ie: Gray, Purple, Blue, Green, Red, Orange, and Black - which would be the most likely choice or what colours do you like?
My favorite color is green, of course, but I'm pretty loyal to subSilver. InvertedNeonGlow broke that loyalty on my forums, though. Neon layouts are awesome, but I'll probably stick with subSilver just because I'm used to it.

I go to it every now and then, but if it would be convenient for modding purposes to remove it then I'd easily be able to accept that.

Man... I don't know what happened with quizzes. When they were first installed I was like "HOLY SHIT". I still think they're pretty cool, but I rarely use them. See what others say, though.

I visit every now and then, but check what others say because I have a feeling they all use it a lot more than I do.

7. The Chat Room?
I'd be using it a lot more if it didn't crash my Firefox. Then again... I haven't tried using it since I got my new computer. I'll try it later tonight.

8. The Links Option (which I think I'll keep now that I've got a proper working version of it - took me two weeks to decipher the code and make it work properly... )???
New users probably use it, or should have a look at it.

Thumbs Up

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:55 am
   Subject: Re: Questionaire

Quote:

Maxthon, and 600x800

About the forum generally....
I think we need a special sub_forum, where all modders will "register" mods they are working in, their status, and if they need more team members and such. The same for guys will free time looking to join modding team. Sometimes we really don't know who is working on what and which projects are in the making.
Maybe even an option for each modding team who wishes to have private development forum for their project on diehardwolfers, without need for external forum.
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:51 am

BrotherTank wrote:
Hey Everyone... Doctor took me off of the meds that were making my life a real living hell today, and I already am starting to feel more alert

That's good news...

Quote:

Firefox 2.0 at 1280 x 1024
Portable Firefox 2.0 at whatever the target comuter has, usually 1152 x 864 or 1024 x 768

Quote:

I like them, allthough the bunker style I have not tried. I currently use the greenish subTrail theme and I think it's propably the best.

Quote:

To be honest, I can't think of anything. I remember the "guest screen" guards where badly aligned, but I suppose it's fixed now.

Quote:

I would propably check out the Blue or Gray themes.

Quote:

I have looked at it a few times. If you're thinking of getting rid of it, don't, I suppose it could be interesting to look at it from time to time.
I have my own statistics page at KFH Games, and I like to watch it sometimes.

Quote:

I've made a one quiz some time ago (A real stupid one), but I don't really use it or need it that much though. But who knows maybe again some day.

Quote:

I think it's a great idea, but it requires more moderation on who gets to vote. Because people can vote for their own mods
and what's worse is that you get to give one vote a day. It should be restricted to single vote only per mod.

Quote:
7. The Chat Room?

Well it has been offline for a long time, and I don't see people in there very often. I have used it though many times.

Quote:

Well I haven't used it, but I think it is an asset to those who are new to the game or want to seek information.
It could also provide a link to the Wikipedia, Wolfenstein-3d section.

Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:14 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Arielus
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:31 am

Here go Arielus's answers:

Only Internet Explorer, with a screen resolution of 1024x768 pixels.

I like DesertStorm the best, but subSilver is nice too. Can't say I've really tried the rest of them.

Not that I remember; there's something I've noticed and I would like to bring it up, though. Most likely it's not a bug, but here it goes just in case: log in and see how the not-seen-since-last-visit threads appear in an eye-catching colour. Log out without visiting them. Log in again and see how the same threads now do not appear in an eye-catching colour. Since they still haven't been visited, should the eye-catching colour not be there? I've noted this 'behaviour' in other forums too, so maybe it's what's considered correct. Just thought I'd write about it here in case it's indeed something to be fixed.

My favourite colour is purple, so probably I'd pick that one if it were available.

I do, from time to time. Nice to see which the most visited thread is, which the numbers of posts by month are, and so on.

I like it. It does take a while to create and upload a well-thought quiz, but I like the option and would like it to stay.

I like it very much as well and would like it to stay too. If I may, let me say that it would be very nice if somehow one could see which games one has voted for and which games one hasn't voted for. Other than that, the option is cool in my view.

7. The Chat Room?
Cool to have it too. No complaints about this one.

Haven't really made any use of this feature, but I believe some people must find it useful.

Hope this helps. Keep kicking ass, mon ami.

Ariel

I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:16 pm

IE and 1280x1024 on xp and probably less on the others.

I'm using the greenish one and like it and won't change.

I'm sure somebody cares. I don't use it.

Should be mandatory that every member of good standing has to make one quiz.
Just kidding.

I would also like to see how many times I've personally voted for Noah's Ark. It would be nice to see what the chart would show if it was reset and everybody got one vote per mod.

Keep up the good work Greg.

DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:25 am

Internet Explorer, 1024x768 or 800x600 depending on which computer I'm on.

I've used them all in the past and rotate whenever I get bored. I like colours.

Occasionally I've got a Yahoo 999 error (or whatever) thing appearing instead of the forum... can't remember the exact wording, but it basically says that there is a temporary problem and the page cannot be opened. Other than that, though, it all seems cushti.

Another vote for purple. Wink Orange would be pretty funky too.

I like it. But then I have a wierd 'thing' for stats, in that I think they're waaaay cool! I know, sad isn't it?

I've done a couple, they're pretty fun from time to time.

I don't use it that much to be honest. I usually check it every few weeks, just in case the ranks of the games have changed at all... occasionally I vote for something that's too far down on the list, though not often by any means.

7. The Chat Room?
Although I think I've used it only once or twice, it's a technically good idea if there are enough willing people logged in at the same time.

A cool idea, I like it.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 65
finland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:18 am

0. Internet Explorer with screensize 800x600...

1. Well, they are all as good but I still stick with the Desert storm though.

2. Well, sometimes the PM-system gives strange errors but nothing bigger.

3. Hard to answer... Maybe Grey, red or green.

4. Well I don't use it so often but still its interesting to see how active this forum has been.

5+6. I havent used them much... I used to try those quizes out but
----- haven't done that lately... Heh, I think someone should post a new quiz there...

7. Hmm... Haven't used much so it is hard to me to say. Still I think that will be
-- usefull.

8. I personally use the links when I am too lazy to search those pages myself...
-- And as many have said it is usefull especially for those who are new to Wolfenstein-community.

---

Well, Keep up the good work BrotherTank!

Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:29 am

Glad you're feeling better BTank!

0. Firefox 2, 1024x768
1. I think the layout works pretty well. I use subSilver.
2. Not since the last thing I reported.
3. Maybe gray, red, just about any I guess.
4. I glance at it once every few months or so. More of an 'oh yeah, wonder what this says out of curiosity' type thing.
5. I don't really use the quizzes at all.
6. I do check the top 10 charts, but I haven't voted much.
7. I'd use the chat room if it works and others hang out there. I haven't tried it in months.
8. Links, not really, but I do think they'd be useful for quick reference. Also, there's no way to edit or delete a link that gets posted there.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 33
uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:09 am

IE7. My resolution is usually 1024x768. Occasionally (on my old comp) I use 800x600.

I'm happy with the layout.

Occasionally, I have to log in. Usually I can log in automatically.

I'm happy with the fawn colour background. Grey or silver would be ok too.

I use it now and again.

I've tried some of them. They seem to be quite popular.

It looks to be fairly static in the top 10 lately, apart from positions 2 and 3. This is partly because many of the top 20 listed addons are there mainly because of votes from years ago. Maybe some system where votes last for a specific time only (a year, perhaps), or have the chart reset every now and again.

7. The Chat Room?
I'd try to use it though I'm not often online at the times the chats tend to be on. Just tried it out. I find I need to register but how do I do that?

It's useful.

Forum Administrator

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:22 pm

Ok.... So far that's 10 responses and the average view size seems to be 1024x768, with 800x600 being the minimum that anyone would use. That information really helps me when formating the pages.

Let' see... So far I've installed... Smile

I will say to Ringman... that thing where you log out and the graphic changes is the original phpBB code keeping track of your last read message by time and date of your last log out. ie: you log out and then back in and even though you probably hadn't read everything, the system assumes that you did..... Just to let you know... that I have added a hack update and now it works off of the cookie that the forums stores on your system whenever you visit. It works so well that (and I'm not sure if this is a bug or not), but it looks like it will register un-read messages whether you log in or not.

I will say that I have added a lot to the security side of the forums. Those pesky Bots will soon be gone and fake registrations I hope will be a thing of the past. Although, you will notice (for those who like to look down and see who is actually on-line) when the search bots are visiting the forums as they will be listed ... ie: Googlebot etc.. Those bots I don't mind, rather it's the ones that try to log in and create accounts to boost their ratings on the search engines (by listing websites in their login profiles - so the search bots see it and increase the rating). I'm just tired of the people trying to play with the system, so now it will actually check to make sure that the mail host you enter... actually exists before allowing the account to be created... (I love this Mod/hack) - That alone should stop most of the bounced mail that I get every time one of these bots or idiots try to create an account (It should catch most people trying to fake the system).

Besides that, I've given the Moderators access to their own little control panel.. Smile
In there, they will also be able to watch and monitor things, should the admins not be around. They can grant access to the forums... Correct things and moderate based on the rules of the forums with more authority... I think they will like the new toys available to them... Don't Worry MCS - They can't do anything to any Admin or Moderator account!.

Hmmm... I'll put together a list of all I've done - that you may or may not notice and post it in the next few days. I'm still working on this in shifts... I work as long as I can and break... and on and on and on... lol.... but I'm getting there...

But I need more Input... so if you haven't answered the questions I have asked above (In my first post), please do.... And as I asked... If you think of something you'd like.. let me know.. Nows the time to do it! While I'm working on things and have a few testing options...

Greg
BrotherTank

(PS... I haven't uploaded anything to the forums here yet... it's all still local on my system - I hope to get it uploaded before Christmas... Hmmm... Maybe Christmas Eve would be a good time to upload it... Make it a real Christmas present - or at least all I can afford for you all).

[PPS: thanks MCS for the offer - I was going to use it, but it wasn't the same password as I have for this one for FTP to the diehard site... so I couldn't use it and as such was forced to fix the problems on my local setup - If you want me to upload it there for a test run for you as well, let me know and PM me the password for that new FTP or change it to match my other one... You'll love things so far.. And I could really use another opinion on the changes Smile]
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator

Topics: 35
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:34 pm

Mozilla Firefox 2.0 @ 1440x900 resolution (Widescreen)

Current styles are fine with me, though more of a variety would be fine too.

None that I recall.

Grey, black, and blue.

Not at all.

Entertaining. Mr Green

Neutral.

7. The Chat Room?

Haven't used in a long time.

As Mr. Schabbs has stated, "useful".
lwmxynedtodth
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 38
netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:47 am

0. Browser
Mozilla Firefox 1 and sometimes IE6 @ 1280 x ?

1. Style
I'm using the standard phpbb style, because it is quite clean. Looks fine to me.

2. Errors
Well, I actually run sometimes in a 'emailer.php' script error. When I submit a thread it is occuring sometimes. Then I submit again and, duplicate post. So it ads to the database as well, but gives an error. And, but I think it is stated enough. The internal server error (500)

3. Colors
Blue, grey

4. Statistics
Watched once.

5. Quiz
Tried, but I whacked so didn't tried it again:D

6. Top10
Nah. Looked once.

7. Chatroom
It's bleeding slowly. And there is an IRC, and well, a chatroom and IRC for a forum sounds quite
weird.

8. Links
Very usefull. As well as the domes, it is quite big and thus quite usefull.

- lwmxynedtodth

UnderHW
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:05 pm

0. Browser
Portable Mozilla Firefox (runs from USB) @ 800 x 600

1. Style
Desert Storm

2. Errors
Sometime I got the internal server error (500), but it is very rare to get..

3. Colors
Green / Purple

4. Statistics
Check them couple times.

5. Quiz
Not much.

6. Top10
Same as 5.

7. Chatroom
I don't use it at all. Confused

8. Links
Not much to do this..

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:40 pm

I hate to be a stickler but perhaps we could all start by spelling questionnaire correctly?

IE6. My resolution is usually 1152x864, the PC's are all set to a default at Uni, I think it's 1024x768.

I like the layout.

Occasionally, I get random errors when trying to load certain pages. The automatic logon doesn't work for me most of the time. I log on using my home PC, work PC and different ones at Uni, sometimes all in the same day, so not sure if that messes with it not working.

I use the green one, but would look at others if there were more to choose from.

If I come across it while looking for something else, but I don't go looking for it.

I did them all (rather badly) when I first joined up but don't revisit them. I would do any new ones that appeared though.

Again, I checked them out when I first joined but don't bother now, some of the results seem too bias. I think they need to be reset and a rule made where you can only vote for a mod once, not every day. Where certain mods are listed doesn't have any influence at all on what mods I choose to play, but I can see how it could help newer members check out some of the better mods made so far.

7. The Chat Room?
I would use it but I can't seem to get it to work when I try to get in, it asks for some kind of password? I log on to the forum every day and I've never seen anyone in there. There was one day when I was logged on and there was about 7 others in the community logged on at the same time. We all started PM'ing each other to go in the chat but no one could get in, so we eventually all gave up. I think it does have good potential and I would definately participate in a weekly chat session if a set time could be arranged.

It's good for newer members, but I already have all the links I use in my favorites list, so I don't really use it.

I think that DoomJedi's recommendation to have a locked thread for teams working together is a brilliant idea. All people working on a mod can log in, post updates for others (like we normally do) and/or chat live to each other. It would make a great centralized meeting point where most of us come every day anyway and would make it so much easier than having to PM or email constantly or try to catch each other through MSN or other. If there was a way to make the thread 'private' for only those working on a mod at the time (Maybe with password access, or something) but then if it had the option to make the thread 'public' at any time would be really awesome.

I know this may not be an easy thing to do but just thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates

Last edited by Dean on Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:32 pm
   Subject: True, Kefka is dead, but there are still obstacles.

Tons of cool comments to reply to here, but I don't have much time... so I'll comment on my three major opinions quickly...

Thomas wrote:
I think it could be funny with purple or turquoise. And pink for that sake. Laughing

Yes!!! I would totally sign up for that. Either a darker purple background with pink writing, or light pink background with purple writing. That would be sweet.

Hair Machine wrote:
I've done a couple, they're pretty fun from time to time.

I agree. Quizzes are the best option that ever lived at DHW (besides the option to hang out with the Machine of Hair, of course). Wink

wolfie3dfan wrote:
I would also like to see how many times I've personally voted for Noah's Ark. It would be nice to see what the chart would show if it was reset and everybody got one vote per mod.

Yeah, I liked Greg's idea that he once mentioned of having everyone be able to rate each mod from 1 to 10 once (without any "Top 10"). That would probably remove a lot of votes based on their standings in comparison with other games, and get a better all-around true vote. Then again, I guess U-Rate-It accomplishes that already.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:12 am
   Subject: Re: True, Kefka is dead, but there are still obstacles.
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: