DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

W3D vs RTCW: Which do you like better?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Which do you like better?
Wolfenstein 3D / Spear of Destiny
54%
 54%  [ 17 ]
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Neither. I enjoy both equally well.
32%
 32%  [ 10 ]
Voted : 31
Total Votes : 31

Boingo the Clown

Topics: 8

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:27 am
   Subject: W3D vs RTCW: Which do you like better?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I have only played the demo version of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and indeed, playing the demo was what made me decide against buying the game. Certainly, the graphics were great, using the Quake III engine, and the environment was realistic enough, but, truth be told, I just didn't find it as much fun as good ol' Wolfenstein 3D with its fast pace mindless running about and shooting. I have therefore decided that I like Wolfenstein 3D better than RTCW.

What are your thoughts?
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:48 am
   Subject: Re: W3D vs RTCW: Which do you like better?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I wouldn't buy RTCW for graphics, they're not very good in todays standards, however they are good enough to set the mood. But, I have played it through two times, just recently I played it through on Death's Incarnate skill and it was quite challenging, but I did enjoy it. Somehow, I think many of you will disagree, but I found same elements in RTCW that are in wolf, it's very loyal to the original game as far as gameplay goes. Ofcourse it has something new too and it's not strictly inside the castle like the original, but there are key elements from the original game present. I don't just mean the par times, secrets and stuff like that, it's beyond that. Most important thing that it has in common with original wolf that RTCW should not be taken seriously. I mean it has a hollywood german accent and that ugly woman that reminded me of Gretel. There are more of these little details present though.

I remember RTCW was criticised for it's lack of realism and the accent,
but those are the very things that make it closer to the original, atleast for me.

I like RTCW better, but maybe it's just me...

Soldat 555

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:08 pm

I like both equally well because Wolf3d is just one badass classic of a game and the other is also very good for it's like a WWII mod for Quake 3 which is also badass.

Thunderstorm Joshua "Mad Dog" Waight Thunderstorm
Metal Overlord
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 33
sweden.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:53 am

I don't like RTCW that much. It just feels too.. I dunno, silly in a trying-to-be-serious way. Wolf3D is also a bit silly, but in a fun retro kind of way. Smile

MJR
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 3
finland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:09 am

The old stuff is better in this case but the victor shall still be Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It wasn't an option, though Rolling Eyes
wolfwhips
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 66

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:11 am

They both have their plus and minus sides. wolf3d is more arcadey shoot your way through the maze, collect bonus points, whether rtcw tries to add those stealh missions which in my opinion were a pain. I got bored halfway through RTCW and just jumped to the end, I didnt like that ocult stuff they added.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 20
poland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:02 am

Absolutely Wolfenstein 3D. Because it was my first computer game, because it's a living legend, because it's 15 years old and still has a large community, because it's still just unbelievably good game, while RTCW was 'only' good. And because of E1L1, E1L4, E1L9, E2L1, E2L5, E3L9, E4L1, E4L8 and so on...

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 19

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:42 pm

My rankings; W:ET, SoD, RTCW, Wolf3d. That's from fav to least. RTCW though I would take over SoD/Wolf3d just cause it's just Wolf evolved.
Born4battle
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 37
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:48 pm

MJR wrote:
The old stuff is better in this case but the victor shall still be Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It wasn't an option, though Rolling Eyes

I agree!!! Do you play on 2.55 or 2.60?

Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 20
usa.gif

Warnings : 1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:58 pm

rtcw has better gfx and easier gfx editing (size dont matter so that means you can have ultimate quality of textures but it just dosent have the goodol feel of wlf ) (i chose both equally) oh and i like wlf also because its source code is editable where rtcw is not
Born4battle
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:40 am

ZuljinRaynor wrote:
My rankings; W:ET, SoD, RTCW, Wolf3d. That's from fav to least. RTCW though I would take over SoD/Wolf3d just cause it's just Wolf evolved.

Why wouldn't your ranking be
1: ET
2: RTCW
3: SOD
4: Wolf3d
?

jasonbay wrote:
rtcw has better gfx and easier gfx editing (size dont matter so that means you can have ultimate quality of textures but it just dosent have the goodol feel of wlf ) (i chose both equally) oh and i like wlf also because its source code is editable where rtcw is not

I don't understand why graphics editing would be easier, as Wolf3d has some of the easiest graphic editing there is. You only need to worry about 256 colors, don't need to worry about your models matching up correctly with the mesh, worry about your image flipping on the save, having to open .tga files, having to extract the whole .pk3 then zip it into a new archive. Wolf3d is way easier to edit, coming from somebody who has edited both.

Bring 'em On

Topics: 6

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:06 pm

Haven't played RTCW yet. I'm actually embarrassed admitting that.
Fragstein3D
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:47 am

I bought RTCW at launch, i have the collectors tin, it was a good game but then but somehow hasen't aged as well as Wolf3D

i found Wolf3D very addicting when i first played it, i was 10 at the time and even though i was obsessed with realistic graphics, i still found the game fun.
as a matter of fact back then i liked looking back at how primitive games could be while still technically being a 3D Shooter.
Wolf3D was as far as you could go.

i basically found it really eerily similar to Doom, then i learned that ID is the same people who went on to make Doom.
a year later i discovered wolf3D modification programs, i played around most of 2002 just making wads and messing around, i had this really cartoony yet somewhat appealing
game that was pre-Fraggerstein3D i was aiming at something having nothing to do with Nazi's and being a rather unusual new game devoid of any plot.

for some Reason RTCW starts out good then the difficulty just gets ridiculous, and you need to pound quicksave and quickload an aweful lot.
dunno why RTCW had an optional Cyanide pill located in BJ's boot that you could use, it's not like you could easily get stuck in a place where you cannot get out. unless you used cheats.

i mean it was just redundant and has no default key.
BJ: I need a mint *gets cyanide pill and chews on it* mm this isn't much of a mint it tastes.... URGH! *dies of cyanide instantly*
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:00 pm

Having finally been able to play RTCW, I'd forgotten about this thread long beforehand. Sad

I'd say I like both games about the same overall - each has its own advantages over the other. Level one of RTCW does a lot of things in its gameplay that Wolf3D can't even touch. However, Wolf3D's gameplay isn't slowed down with lots of different buttons to press, and it's generally a faster-paced game; it takes less time to get from one area to another, since there's no stairs to slow you down, and you never have to stop to look up or down.
Born4battle
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:45 pm

Fragstein3D wrote:
I bought RTCW at launch, i have the collectors tin, it was a good game but then but somehow hasen't aged as well as Wolf3D

i found Wolf3D very addicting when i first played it, i was 10 at the time and even though i was obsessed with realistic graphics, i still found the game fun.
as a matter of fact back then i liked looking back at how primitive games could be while still technically being a 3D Shooter.
Wolf3D was as far as you could go.

i basically found it really eerily similar to Doom, then i learned that ID is the same people who went on to make Doom.
a year later i discovered wolf3D modification programs, i played around most of 2002 just making wads and messing around, i had this really cartoony yet somewhat appealing
game that was pre-Fraggerstein3D i was aiming at something having nothing to do with Nazi's and being a rather unusual new game devoid of any plot.

for some Reason RTCW starts out good then the difficulty just gets ridiculous, and you need to pound quicksave and quickload an aweful lot.
dunno why RTCW had an optional Cyanide pill located in BJ's boot that you could use, it's not like you could easily get stuck in a place where you cannot get out. unless you used cheats.

i mean it was just redundant and has no default key.
BJ: I need a mint *gets cyanide pill and chews on it* mm this isn't much of a mint it tastes.... URGH! *dies of cyanide instantly*

RTCW wasn't hard at all. I personally had to trouble finishing it on the hardest difficulty. Only hard parts were those 2 "stealth" missions.

I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:20 am

it is a hard game, just because you can get good at it does not make it a non difficult game.

i might find Abe's Oddysee an easy game to play now, but it's a challenging and hard game, anybody who plays it for the first time will get hit hard by the steep learning curve.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 169
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:31 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Definitely the Wolf3D/Spear originals for me. Sure RTCW is a huge showcase of how much technology has changed but it's rather frustrating at times. And gameplay is what makes things these days - the most important thing about Wolf3D and SoD is that they are fun, fast-pased, and rarely if ever frustrating. Not to mention Wolf3D is still far, far more a classic and genre-defining product that RTCW could ever be.

I'm a hardcore old schooler with shooters - Wolf3D, SoD, Doom, and some Quake (2) is about as far as I can go before things get too mission-based for me. Exception though would be Serious Sam games by Croteam, even though they came out later only the graphics stray from old school games. (And I would also include Duke and Blood in the list, but my machine totally can't handle the build engine. Sad )

Although, it's only fair to also note that the Half Life games held my interest enough to at least complete the original and the mission packs. But I never really god interested in extras. Portal by Valve is one I love, but I don't consider it an FPS.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: