DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

New Idea - Map of the Month Club
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> DieHard Archives View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:13 pm
   Subject: New Idea - Map of the Month Club
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I got this little idea after watching things for the last I don't know how many months.. It seems that everyone wants to make a mod.. want's all kinds of features, or whatever... And then we have the engines that are already out there. So here's my idea...

Why not start with say everyone using the same engine... Let's say "SR" the developers kit... and each month, those that want to participate can create "1" map for the game using that engine. The only thing would be that you can't make a map where it triggers the End of Game.... Then.... when the previous months levels have been collected, you can start on the next months map and submit to compete again.

The previous months maps will be inserted into a MAPSET that can be downloaded and played. Then we set up a poll in the forums that asks which map YOU ALL liked best... And that map will be the winner for that month... All of the map makers will be held in confidence (secret) so that no-one except the project co-ordinator knows which maps came from which person (this way no-one will be voting just because it's a favorite person or something like that)... and once a winner for the month has been chosen, then the map creators for that particular month will be posted so you can actually see who made what and who won.... and the process continues over and over...

Basically... each month... you guys/gals create a new mod on your own... and all it takes is the submission of 1 map each month that you want to participate. No more worrying about graphics, sounds, enemies... the like... just pure mapping fun. For that matter, we can even do this using the original Wolfenstein 3d game itself.

Anyhow... I think no matter what engine is chosen, the one thing that it will do is make those that want to compete have an easier workload as it's just one map... And everyone can compete... and in the end, you will hopefully see some great maps/games created by the whole community... besides possibly bettering everyones mapping skills??

Tell me what you think? I'd like to hear all comments...

Greg
BrotherTank

Last edited by BrotherTank on Thu May 24, 2007 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Airslide
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 8

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:18 pm
   Subject: Re: New Idea - Map of the Month Club
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I'd love to participate. I saw an EOD dev kit, prehaps we can use that? The only issue I see is I think areyep said that the weather is hard coded...But then again, the outside levels for SR are also hardcoded. The original Wolf or SOD might be best since they don't have anything level specific except the ceiling.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:25 pm

Funny that you mention this BT, since I plan to release a "development kit" for my own mod about a month after I release the TC. Source code will also be released, as well as the batch files you'll need to run to tell you what file is what. You see, if you display the contents of the folder containing my TC, the filename is the same for all the files, while the extension is different (MUNCH.000, MUNCH.001, etc.).

Anyway, I could only participate in a "club" like this if it was for a TC with lots of graphics that Wolf3D and Spear didn't have, like "Spear: Resurrection" or "MedEvil". Sorry about that, but I'm pretty much out of ideas for new Wolfenstein levels. Sad
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:00 pm

Ok... I see that we already have people saying... don't like this or don't like that... and it's only 2 responses...

Here it is:

Participate IF YOU WANT. Starting the month of June, 2007 - you can send 1 map attached to an e-mail to my forum listed email (as I will act as the co-ordinator for the first month) if you wish to participate. For the first pass - we will be using the Wolfenstein 3d Original Game - Shareware or Full because the shareware map levels will run in the full game settings.

MAP OF THE MONTH CLUB

From now May 21, 2007 until June 30th, 2007, I will be accepting maps from any and all people willing to participate.

Each participant may ONLY send or enter 1 map per month!

All maps must be 64x64 and use only original Wolfenstein Specs.
Bosses may be used. I will include a special exe that will NOT end the game with any bosses being killed and will feature seamless level progression - AND - NO SECRET ELEVATORS PLEASE.
Other than that do as you will.

On June 30th, I will take all the maps that have been received for the month, and make 1 mapset file that can be downloaded from the forums here. You play them.... if you want or so choose...

I will remove all names from any maps so that none of you will know who made what map (other than by maybe recognisable things that certain people do as their style), so that you can't see with a mapeditor who did what.

I will then post a Poll here in the forums where you can vote for your favorite maps.. (we'll make the poll - pick 3 of your favorites out of the maximum number of maps that we get). The poll will run for 21 days... and a winner will then be announced by you (as you have voted)... and I will then post the names of the people maps in the order they were added to the mapset, so you can see who did what for that month.

Then if someone else wants to act as co-ordinator for the second month, we can rotate it out. The second month will start accepting submissions on July 1 to July 31, and again the process will continue.

Those wishing to participate... It's 1 map per month... Nothing special.. And we'll see if we can't maybe come up with some kind of award of some kind... (even graphic - who knows).

Greg
BrotherTank
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:08 pm

I would think either the original Wolf3D or SOD would be best since most people are more familiar with these engines than, say, SR or EOD. There would be a learning-curve for the newer features that those unfamiliar with modding those mods would be at a disadvantage.

Though, I do agree with Tricob. If we could have a newer engine with slightly more features (map controlled) and had art specific for this project so that everyone started with the same knowledge and 'feel' for the maps, that might be good...

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:27 pm

This sounds like an awesome idea Greg.

I think another good idea would to be to release a mod at the end of each year with just the winners for each month of the year in it as well.

Maybe the administrator for each month could make or decide what exe to be used for the month that they are administrating for. It could reange from small changes like adding the 25 ammo box to one with heaps of changes. Month by month peoiple can then decise which ones they wish to patricipate in.

It might also be a good idea to give us a status update each week of how many submissions have been received as well.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:15 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
Though, I do agree with Tricob. If we could have a newer engine with slightly more features (map controlled) and had art specific for this project so that everyone started with the same knowledge and 'feel' for the maps, that might be good...

I'll work on getting the exe done in the next day or so. What I will do is this:

Mapspot 0,0 will select the music for your level... so use wall tile 1 for song 1 and so on up to 27 - Anything else will default to track 1 or "The Corner" music....

Mapspot 0,1 will select the ceiling colour... use any wall value from 0 to 254 as this will be directed to the Wolfenstein Palette for drawing the ceiling colour

Mapspot 0,2 will select the floor colour... again... any value from 0 to 254 as in the Wolfenstein Palette ceiling selection above...

All Bosses will always face the player... and they will not end the game and will all drop the yellow key (needed or not).
Any elevators found will automatically end the level - there will be no secrets...

As for the art... for the first run through, lets just stick to original... no story... just plain mapping. Make it a puzzle... Make it a shoot'em up... Make it a free-for all... just make a map and submit it if you want to participate. We can work on other elaborate things later... but for now.. lets stay original...

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Ok...

The new exe for it is complete...

It requires that you use your own original files (vgagraph and such as it's just the EXE in the file)...

Features:

Seamless Levels
Bosses Face Player
All the Bugfixes to the original game from the forums
You only have the weapons Picked up (my bestweapon stuff)
Weapon Jamming - with the possible loss of weapon (my routines)
Ingame Messages - Darkone's Standard - Toggled with TAB-M key
Crosshair - Toggled with TAB-X
Automap - by Chris - Toggled with Tab-A
Stamina - Idea by Tek-Zk - BrotherTank refined... As you run constant your stamina lowers until you reach basic walking speed... when you stand still your stamina will return to normal.
Weapon Bobble - Dugtrio - TAB-B to toggle
Weapon Change - Idea by MCS from SR and programmed by BT
Random Blood Splats when enemy is shot...
Bosses always face the players
Hans and Gretel React to sounds! - Other bosses do not
Other Bosses than Hans and Gretel will activate deathcam but not end game
All bosses will drop a key (yellow or Gold) regaurdless of if it is needed or not.
Maximum Ammo = 100
And of course... Shading - Again toggled by using the TAB-S keys...

the top row of the map controls the following:

0,0 = Song played for your level
0,1 = Ceiling Colour (0 to 255 as in the wolfenstein palette)
0,2 = Floor Colour (0 to 255 as in the wolfenstein palette)
0,3 = if wall value 1 or higher placed here - Starry Sky is produced...
0,4 = when painting stars - 1 = Red Moon 2 = Blue Moon 3 = White Moon
0,5 = Rain/Snow falling... 2 = Rain 3 = Snow...

So there... I've put the major things that you would like to control into your control. Use that exe when testing your levels... I may have activated some other things, but they don't really affect game play much...

Greg
BrotherTank

::::Edited::::

PS: and for people who like to time how long it takes them to play the game and level.. Hit TAB-O for onscreen Timer... lol... Oh... and I guess I should have mentioned this one... The AI is changed slightly - so you will find that even if you play the original game, the enemies will not always react the same way in the same situations... lol...

IS THAT GOOD Enough for the first run guys?? I'll give you a more advanced game once we get through a couple of these attempts (maybe the next one for July)... So everyone understands what we are doing and how it works...???

You use the original WOLF3d Map Defines and use Wall tile values to toggle the items mentioned above by placing the wall value in that position... It's as simple as that...

Enjoy...
Greg

Edited: Removed the download link.... as everyone wants something different rather than just use something simple to start. As such... see in my last post... I give up.

Last edited by BrotherTank on Thu May 24, 2007 2:40 am; edited 2 times in total
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:21 pm

Dean wrote:
This sounds like an awesome idea Greg.

I think another good idea would to be to release a mod at the end of each year with just the winners for each month of the year in it as well.

Maybe the administrator for each month could make or decide what exe to be used for the month that they are administrating for. It could reange from small changes like adding the 25 ammo box to one with heaps of changes. Month by month peoiple can then decise which ones they wish to patricipate in.

It might also be a good idea to give us a status update each week of how many submissions have been received as well.

Sounds good... will do... I'll keep you updated as to how many submissions I have weekly..
And sure.. we can take the best of the best and make it into 1 mod for year end.. and all it takes is 1 map per month... to play... It's a fairly cheep lottery really... and everyone will have a chance to win... For that matter.... I could even do a map because regaurdless of where it is, no identities will be disclosed until the voting for the maps has expired....

I think 3 weeks to play and decide which is best is adiquate and with it being seamless... up to 60 people can enter... I will enter a last map that will just end the game so at least there is a finish to each game...

So how's that...

This wasn't something simple I just threw together... well, the exe is, but that's because of how I have my source coded... I can switch - add things - remove things and modify things with just a few keystrokes... Smile I'll release the source complete once I've got the rest of the things added that I was working on... but that will also mean new mapedit definition files (both for Mapedit and WDC) and of course make the game even yet more interesting... Comming soon... Well, I'll leave that for another time... Smile

Enjoy Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Tank

BrotherTank Beer

Beer AND WITH THAT - LET THE GAMES BEGIN! Beer
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:25 pm

Wow, that was some quick work there!
Sounds good. June 30th... even I might be able to crank out a map by then! Laughing

One thing though, how are we going to set the map par time?

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:44 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
Sounds good. June 30th... even I might be able to crank out a map by then! Laughing

One thing though, how are we going to set the map par time?

lol... I knew someone might ask that... ok... give me 5 mins and I'll upload a new exe... just have to turn that part on.

For part times:

Mapspot 62,0 = Minutes for par... wall tiles 1 to whatever is minutes for par time..
Mapspot 63,0 = seconds so use 1 for 15 seconds 2 for 30, and 3 for 45

lol... brb...

Greg
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:49 pm

Ok... it's in place.... You will also find with this that if you turn on the Event Timer... the timer will count down from the par time until it is reached and then start counting from actual time played...

Hope that helps... And anyone downloading the previous exe must download the updated one that I posted as of 2:50 am and this post...

Greg
BrotherTank

PS: I managed to get my pain meds down about 2 hours ago, so I'm pushing things and trying to get everything that I've neglected done in the next little bit of time...

Thanks... and Happy Mapping.... and now officially

Beer LET THE GAMES BEGIN Beer
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:09 am

Adam Biser wrote:

Actually... I have a few small bugs to fix, but the source that I'm working on has ALL the tutorials installed that have ever been created by either myself or those released by others on the web...

Everything is controlled by define statements... So I can turn anything on and off quickly... recompile and have a working exe - that has been exhaustively tested so I know that it works, in just a matter of seconds...

It was the one other surprise that I wanted to give to the community back in March actually, but unfortunately, I screwed up some code and actually backed up the screwup over my backup... so... it's been go over every line of code and check things one by one until it's all working again... I've got about 15 things left to finish and it should be ready for everyone... but that's another story for another time... lol...

But the exe I've uploaded does all that and more... forgot to mention that the plus and minus keys adjust the screen size (ala MCS) and probably a few other things I've forgotten... oh yeah... Keyboard strafing code using the "greaterthan and Lessthan keys" as well... I think that's everything... if not, I'm sure someone will find it while playing with the exe... Smile

Happy Mapping...

Greg
BrotherTank
wolf3dbreaker
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 31
philippines.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:20 am

Sweet idea Greg! But in the progress of this "Map of the month" thing as it progresses each month, will more things be added? I.E Switch activated pushwalls, reinforcements, fire walls, teleporters, inivisiblity things, alarms, etc. or will we use the same old .exe over and over again?

Either way, good to hear that you're feeling better seeing that you're able to come up with something like this. Get well soon, BTW.

*Goes to make devlish maps*

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:19 am

wolf3dbreaker wrote:
Sweet idea Greg!

Thanks... it was something I was thinking about the more and more I saw the Mapset thing sort of go and then die and repeat and at the same time, seeing mods released with many problems with code and limited testing...

wolf3dbreaker wrote:
But in the progress of this "Map of the month" thing as it progresses each month, will more things be added? I.E Switch activated pushwalls, reinforcements, fire walls, teleporters, inivisiblity things, alarms, etc. or will we use the same old .exe over and over again?

That is something we can work on in the future... but for now we'll just keep it simple...

wolf3dbreaker wrote:
Either way, good to hear that you're feeling better seeing that you're able to come up with something like this. Get well soon, BTW.

Sort of... I managed to hold down a little food at dinner time along with the pain meds that I haven't been able to take in about 10 days or thereabouts... so I figured while I could, I'd get as much done as possible..

wolf3dbreaker wrote:
*Goes to make devlish maps*

By all means... lol.... Oh... Also forgot to mention.... Also activated in this exe is:

ah... lets start from the top... lol...
  1. AI Fix -ala Darkone
  2. AI Randomness - ala BrotherTank
  3. Automap - ala Chris - Tab-A to toggle on/off
  4. Bestweapon - ala BrotherTank - Only have weapons you pick up..
  5. BJ Hurt Sound - ala BrotherTank - Bj will yelp sort of, if hit and health below 75%
  6. Blood Splatters - ala Chris - Random Blood splaters when enemy is hit
  7. Hans Boss reacts to sounds
  8. Gretel Boss reacts to sounds
  9. All other bosses trigger the deathcam but don't end the game - ala Chris
  10. Crosshair - ala BrotherTank - Plotted crosshair toggled with TAB-X
  11. Enemy Pushwalls - ala MCS - Enemies can push pushwalls
  12. Player gets credit for Enemy Pushing Pushwalls
  13. Player can be killed by moving Pushwall - ala BT
  14. Event Timer - ala BrotherTank - TAB-O to toggle
  15. Floating Items - ala BrotherTank - Keys will appear to float
  16. Full Screen - ala Dugtrio17
  17. Shading - ala Darkone - as this exe is Darkone Raycastor Enabled
  18. GuardShadeShot - Guards light up in the distance when shooting - ala MCS
  19. Heartbeat - ala BrotherTank - A heartbeat will get quicker as BJ's health drops below 50%
  20. Ingame Messages - ala Darkone - with some BT changes
  21. MapControlPar - ala BT - Control Maps par time via the map
  22. MapControlSong - ala BT - along with ceiling/floor and other mapcontrolled items
  23. MapName - ala Adam Biser - So you can give your maps a name - to describe it, not your name or alias!
  24. Outside Atmosphere - ala Ripper
  25. Skill Menu Text - Idea by Chris - reprogrammed by BT
  26. Stamina - Idea by Tek-zk and reprogrammed by BT
  27. Strafe Keys - ala Hair Machine - use Lessthan and Greaterthan keys to strafe
  28. Screen Adjust - ala MCS - use + and - keys to adjust screen size
  29. Weapon Bobble - ala Dugtrio17 - Toggle with TAB-B
  30. Weapon Change - idea ala MCS - programmed by BT (I never did see your code to do that MCS.. lol..)
  31. Weapon Jams - ala BT - Players weapon (machinegun or chaingun) can randomly jam while shooting - triggers the clearing - unless in the odd chance that player can't clear the jam and looses the weapon completely.
  32. Weapon Speed - ala Tek-Zk - the bigger the weapon you are holding (using) the slower you move
  33. All the Bug fixes listed here in the forums by various members
  34. Bosses always face Player fix - ala MCS

There may be other things that I missed... but that is what is activated in the exe that I uploaded earlier this morning - I'm taking the list as things that I have active in my version file - so there could be other things active but not listed there... lol... But for the most part you guys get the idea...

The game will be slightly different than the original game as far as playabitity, but even though we have only the original graphics and sounds, I think with those things enabled, you can have some real fun with the maps and create something that should be quite enjoyable to play...

Anyhow.. I really need to go and get some sleep now...

and as always....

Beer Let the Games Begin Beer

Greg
BrotherTank
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:05 am

Great idea, and I will probably participate. Just to make sure, though, I'd like to ask if I could use FloEdit for this...

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:12 am

Use whatever map editor you want... just make sure that you let the co-ordinator know what editor you used as one may not accept input from another when the files are saved and sent... it's that little file format is all...

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:32 am

Ah... just noticed in my previous posts about the map control.... The control points are in the very TOP ROW of the map - no matter what editor you are using. And you use different WALL values placed in these positions to change the settings for your map or level.

So the TOP row from left to right is:
0 = Music
1 = Ceiling Colour
2 = Floor Colour
3 = Starry Sky is produced...
4 = when painting Sky/stars - 1 = Red Moon 2 = Blue Moon 3 = White Moon
5 = Rain/Snow falling... 2 = Rain 3 = Snow...
62 = Minutes for your par time
63 = seconds for your par time 1 = 15 seconds 2 = 30 seconds 3 = 45 seconds

For example... I want a Starry Sky.. Black with gray floor - Blue Moon and Snow... with a par time of 4:30, then I would put Wall value 0 or nothing on spot 1 in the top row for the ceiling colour, put wall 25 on spot 2 in the top row of the map... and so on... and for the par time... I would put wall tile 4 on spot 62 and wall tile 2 on 63 to set the par time... then choose a song that fits the theme of your map... and put that wall number on spot 0 (or the top left corner)...

Pretty simple... I hope...

Greg
BrotherTank
Airslide
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:17 pm

WOW. That sounds like one helluva EXE to work with, even if it doesn't have all the graphical updates of alot of mods these day. I'm definetly going to be submitting a map. When we're done, should we compile it as map 1 and send you the gamemaps.wl6 file? That should be a good way of doing things, that way you don't have to worry about issues with diffrently exported maps.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:06 pm

Just export it as a level... from whatever map editor you are using.. I have all of them... installed and usable at a moments notice.. so I don't need the whole gamemaps and maphead files... when really just a map export will do...

Thanks...

Greg
BrotherTank

PS: To all... I'm fluent in all the map editors... Mapedit, Floedit, WDC, and Chaosedit... so just send them in when you have it completed...
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:04 am

All I can say about this is BLOODY GOOD IDEA GREG!!! God knows I haven't had time to devote to Wolf the past year and the thought of starting on a new project is not even there due to time constraints. But making a map for the original game using these new features - hell, I can do this! I even have a rough idea for the basis of a level brewing in my mind ...

As Greg says this idea will no doubt produce some damned excellent mods that have their own feel (compared to just new mapsets for the original game), plus being it's an ongoing activity that any member of the Wolf community can come back to whenever they feel like it or have the time, it sounds like a sure fire idea to me. And hey - if it brings me back into doing something Wolf related that tells me it's a brilliant idea!!! Smile

Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:39 am

BrotherTank - Ok, that sounds good.
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:18 am

BrotherTank wrote:
  1. AI Fix -ala Darkone
  2. AI Randomness - ala BrotherTank
  3. Automap - ala Chris - Tab-A to toggle on/off
  4. Bestweapon - ala BrotherTank - Only have weapons you pick up..
  5. BJ Hurt Sound - ala BrotherTank - Bj will yelp sort of, if hit and health below 75%
  6. Blood Splatters - ala Chris - Random Blood splaters when enemy is hit
  7. Hans Boss reacts to sounds
  8. Gretel Boss reacts to sounds
  9. All other bosses trigger the deathcam but don't end the game - ala Chris
  10. Crosshair - ala BrotherTank - Plotted crosshair toggled with TAB-X
  11. Enemy Pushwalls - ala MCS - Enemies can push pushwalls
  12. Player gets credit for Enemy Pushing Pushwalls
  13. Player can be killed by moving Pushwall - ala BT
  14. Event Timer - ala BrotherTank - TAB-O to toggle
  15. Floating Items - ala BrotherTank - Keys will appear to float
  16. Full Screen - ala Dugtrio17
  17. Shading - ala Darkone - as this exe is Darkone Raycastor Enabled
  18. GuardShadeShot - Guards light up in the distance when shooting - ala MCS
  19. Heartbeat - ala BrotherTank - A heartbeat will get quicker as BJ's health drops below 50%
  20. Ingame Messages - ala Darkone - with some BT changes
  21. MapControlPar - ala BT - Control Maps par time via the map
  22. MapControlSong - ala BT - along with ceiling/floor and other mapcontrolled items
  23. MapName - ala Adam Biser - So you can give your maps a name - to describe it, not your name or alias!
  24. Outside Atmosphere - ala Ripper
  25. Skill Menu Text - Idea by Chris - reprogrammed by BT
  26. Stamina - Idea by Tek-zk and reprogrammed by BT
  27. Strafe Keys - ala Hair Machine - use Lessthan and Greaterthan keys to strafe
  28. Screen Adjust - ala MCS - use + and - keys to adjust screen size
  29. Weapon Bobble - ala Dugtrio17 - Toggle with TAB-B
  30. Weapon Change - idea ala MCS - programmed by BT (I never did see your code to do that MCS.. lol..)
  31. Weapon Jams - ala BT - Players weapon (machinegun or chaingun) can randomly jam while shooting - triggers the clearing - unless in the odd chance that player can't clear the jam and looses the weapon completely.
  32. Weapon Speed - ala Tek-Zk - the bigger the weapon you are holding (using) the slower you move
  33. All the Bug fixes listed here in the forums by various members
  34. Bosses always face Player fix - ala MCS

Too much features... I would've liked to take part in this, but this is too far from the original.

If you shorten your list to this, I'd be willing to join up. All that other stuff is just useless for a mapset.

1. AI Fix -ala Darkone
  2. Bestweapon - ala BrotherTank - Only have weapons you pick up..
  3. All other bosses trigger the deathcam but don't end the game - ala Chris
  4. MapControlPar - ala BT - Control Maps par time via the map
  5. MapControlSong - ala BT - along with ceiling/floor and other mapcontrolled items
  6. MapName - ala Adam Biser - So you can give your maps a name - to describe it, not your name or alias!
  7. All the Bug fixes listed here in the forums by various members
  8. Bosses always face Player fix - ala MCS
  9. All bosses drop the gold key and don't terminate the episode
  10. Endgame trigger ends the level

Edit:

Looks like this keeps bloating like the mapping contest #2... And it's not a good thing.

Last edited by Codetech84 on Wed May 23, 2007 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Airslide
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:23 am

BT, I'm having some trouble with the EXE - First off, while the music tile works fine, the ceiling color is controlled by 0,1, not 1,0 for some reason. And I can't seem to modify anything else, and rain is stuck on. I'm putting everything in order on the top row.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:12 am

Yep.. Top Row... of the map I got my X,Y mixed up while posting... lol...

And the exe was updated as I removed the Automap... but other than that... the game plays as the original... To CodeTech... the other things are really cosmetic... so I wouldn't worry about it... It's just a map....

Greg
BrotherTank
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

finland.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:13 am

Well, I guess I'll just have to try the exe to make up my mind...

Airslide
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:29 pm

BT - Got it to work going vertical. Very cool, except getting the ceiling color right is killing me. I found a nice gray I think I'll stick with, though I was aiming for a dark green and I can't seem to match anything up. Anyways, there were two things I thought you might want to fix - The elevator won't end the level for some reason (though that might have been the last EXE, I need to check again), and the hurt sound overwrites enemies shooting, which I think doesn't sound too good. Other than that, awsome, and you can definetly expect an entry from me.

EDIT: Nevermind on the second thing, it isn't that bad, and doesn't happen too often. Just a bad senerio while testing it.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:48 pm

Airslide wrote:
I found a nice gray I think I'll stick with, though I was aiming for a dark green and I can't seem to match anything up.
If you're running the game with the Wolfenstein palette instead of the Spear palette, the choices you have for shades of green really aren't all that great. The selection you have for shades of blue and red aren't bad, but that's about the extent of the palette's advantages. Even your choices of grey leave a lot to be desired. I don't even intend to use either palette at all after finishing my first TC; my second mod will use a palette I'll design myself.
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

finland.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:12 am

What if a commandline parameter was added to disable all of these "cosmetic" changes?

BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:37 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

OK

I give up...

Everyone wants something different.

All I wanted to do was something as simple as get everyone to want to create 1 map a month.
All I was trying to do was maybe get something new and exciting going...
It was a participate if you want.
Nothing was forced.
I set up a simple EXE with such few changes really.
So what... it had shading...
So what.. it had a crosshair...
The only changes to the actual code that made ANY difference to the game were:

The AI fix - which is a simple bug that Darkone caught and figured out.
The Random blood drops when an enemy was shot... no big deal...
Yes, I enabled Enemies can push pushwalls... So...
And yes, I corrected a problem when if a player happened to run in front of a moving pushwall.. that instead of getting stuck in the damn thing... it would kill you....

Other than that... the other stuff was really cosmetic... or cosmetic as I saw them... How many people play using the keyboard or mouse... or both for that matter... I added oooooh... the strafe keys using the greaterthan and lessthan keys... Oh... and I added the simple Screen resize using the "plus" and "minus" keys... Oh man I can just see how that affects how the game plays...

But because it's the same old boring graphics... some can't make maps... somehow using new graphics would somehow give someone more imagination...

SORRY... I know that I must sound very sarcastic and just plain tired... yep.. I am... I'm sick.. I'm hurting... and all most (not all) can do is find something wrong with it... or some reason to avoid participating...

All I wanted was to do something that might bring the community a little happiness - and maybe a little friendly competition... by making it annonymous - I thought that if say Gary or Ack or Jack... or even BJ Rowan (all of which visit the forums and have been called the greats in the past as map makers) wouldn't scare everyone off by saying something like I'm sending in a map ... It doesn't matter if your the best... It was just something that anyone and everyone could do... Even Barbara (as I know she loves to play the games, but making just 1 map might be something she might want to try)...

Anyhow... I'll tell you what... this thread is locked and ...
Let's just put this in the dead file...

Greg
BrotherTank
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Time synchronized with the forum server time
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> DieHard Archives View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: