DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Map of the Month Club - Discussion 1
Page 16 of 17 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> DieHard Archives View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:56 am
   Subject: Re: Map of the Month Club - Discussion 1
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I don't think I'll be able to one in this month... too busy with school...

Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 4

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:51 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I don't know if this has been addressed as of yet or not, but I noticed a couple of bugs in this latest release. When you run out of ammo you can no longer use your weapons, not even the knife. It's as if the CTRL key goes dead. I don't recall what happens if you save and reload the game (I'm gonna assume this won't work because of the apparent bug with saving and loading games) however I can tell you the only way to eliminate the problem is the start a new game.

The second thing I noticed was when you complete a level, your weapon/ammo/health stats don't reset until after the following level loads. As I recall from September's release, these stats would reset when the Level Complete screen appeared. This is certainly a very minor thing, but just in case you wanted to check it out.

There's something else I'm totally forgetting right now. I guess if I think of it, I'll let you know.

By stroup85
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:00 pm

Hi All... Still in pain... Still typing slow and one handed...
Anyhow...

Ronwolf...: No.. Bosses will not pick up health.. Only Guard to Officer... Mutants don't eat... and the Bosses are too big and strong to care about health... lol... On the Teleport bug you caught though... good catch... and Fixed....

Thomas: Right... Ghost Hitlers were not supposed to drop anything... I forgot to add a line saying default all to this except the Ghosts.... So that is fixed...

Areyep: Yep! You were right... Saved games lock up ... or at least they did... lol... it was a ratio number I was playing with... I adjusted it in the loadgame but not in the savegame... so one said 8 and the other said load 9... lol.. of course... since only 8 were saved.. the game froze... because loading wanted 9 ratios... lol... Fixed...

RyWolf: Welcome to the Bunker... lol.. Good catch on the weapon ammo problem. - working on tomorrow... it's probably in the weapon fall-back routine... or at least that is the first place where I will start looking...

@All: I just have to fix the problem with the ammo and unless you have found more for me to fix, I will have a new exe out in the next couple of days. The ammo problem is probably something stupid, but I still have to go and find it. I spent the little time I had to work on this finding and fixing the others... But don't worry... You will have the new exe shortly... even if I have to have someone else type the code for me. I'm still using the single handed hunt and peck technique for typing, so ... until I get completely frustrated typing like this... I will keep trying to do the work myself.

So @Haasboy... Don't yell too loud, but YES YOU GET TO USE THE NEW GAME WITH ALL OF THE NEW FEATURES for the next round.... lol.. You didn't do all that work for nothing.. Even in my condition, I am determined to have a working exe for the next release at the end of the month... ok??

Anyhow... Keep on Mapping... Keep up the Spirit... Keep the Game Alive... Tank

Greg
BrotherTank

edit: Ammo Problem Fixed as well.... So unless anyone has any other problems... I'll release the update later today....

Last edited by BrotherTank on Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Haasboy
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 58
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:09 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
... Don't yell too loud, but YES YOU GET TO USE THE NEW GAME WITH ALL OF THE NEW FEATURES for the next round.... lol.. You didn't do all that work for nothing.. Even in my condition, I am determined to have a working exe for the next release at the end of the month...
OK, I'm sorry for the way I reacted to the bugs. I guess it was just the fact that I had only one idea for a level, and it required the features for the engine. Again like I said before I'm sorry for the way I reacted...

DieHard Officer

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:23 am
   Subject: Map of the Month Club - Friendly Contest

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but with the recent engine (version C), I seem to be experience very slow FPS, ranging between 28 and 48. In engines A and B I never experienced this problem...
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:42 am

See if you have turned on the Tab-F (fastmonitor)?? And I'll check to make sure I didn;t turn one on somewhere else in the code... lol...

And I didn't think you reacted badly ...lol... I actually expected you to go just as nuts when I said that those problems were fixed... and you would have what you wanted... lol...

Greg
BrotherTank
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:03 pm

Great to see you back Greg and thanks for all the work you've been doing. It wouldn't be easy what with the pain you're going through, and I hope this will ease off quickly in the coming days and weeks.

I was wondering, given all the work and time you're putting into the exe if you want me to extend the duration of the poll (I don't know if it'll allow me to do this, but I can try) as it ends in only 5 days and I was thinking it wouldn't give you time to play and vote. I shortened the length of the poll this time due to there being only 8 levels, and given that people have generally finished voting around the 18th day or so when there are more levels.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:16 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
See if you have turned on the Tab-F (fastmonitor)?? And I'll check to make sure I didn;t turn one on somewhere else in the code
Oh yes, I was messing around with the Tab keys to see what each one days. I didn't realise that pressing Tab-F would cause such an effect. How does that fastmonitor thing work or what is it????????

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:25 pm

@Haasboy:

In WL_Play.C:

::: CODE :::
    if (Keyboard[KEYFASTMON])   // Slow Down the Screen Updates for Fast Monitors!
    {
      IN_ClearKeysDown ();
      gamestate.flags ^= PF_FASTMONITOR;
      CenterMessage (gamestate.flags & PF_FASTMONITOR?FASTMONMSG"ON":FASTMONMSG"OFF");
      return;
    }

if WL_Draw.C in the ThreeDRefresh:

::: CODE :::

bufferofs -= screenofs;
  displayofs = bufferofs;
  if (gamestate.flags & PF_FASTMONITOR) { VL_WaitVBL(1); } // Ripper Fast Monitor Fix Flickering

What it does is stop fast computers from running past the framerate of the monitor and causing those screen glitches that everyone sees on say PII-700Mhz, PIII or better machines. I get it even on my PII-400Mhz machine from time to time. For me it was really noticable on this source as I had compressed so much of the code that it really runs fast and smooth. Basically the VL_WaitVBL(1) tells it to wait 1 draw frame to sync the program draw with the game. ie: Monitors might refresh anywhere from say 50 to 100+ MHZ based on the settings you have with your video card and mode it's in. Wolf wants 70fps but depending on your refresh rate you will get the odd flicker because the computer is in a refresh of the screen when this slow program calls for a redraw of the next video page buffered - and it results in the flicker... Telling it to wait just 1 VBL makes the problem go away. And on faster machines, the FPS isn't important unless you are running via DosBox or the VDM thing... lol.. brain fart.. after all of that...

@ Steve.. Not too important Steve... I voted already... I played hard and furious before the op and then tinkered in it since... didn't finish every level, but I played enough of all of them to know what I liked best... lol...

@All - I'll post later this evening (my time and have the new exe for download), and the bugs will be gone from the last exe... So no-one will have to worry about what is being used and what isn't... this is go for the glory... all the features... use as much as you want... use as little as you want... Just use it and make a map... lol... Pass it on... Challenge people... Help get everyone involved in this...

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:06 pm

The new EXE is here.

All the same goodness of the last one with fewer bugs...

So Click Here to Download
I'll let Steve update the download package... but for now.. if you are just joining the competition, you need the October Download kit AND this new exe...

And keep on Mapping... lol...

Greg
BrotherTank

PS: How many people use Mapedit again??
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:04 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
I know I do, and AReyeP does, but I don't know who else. Sad
Haasboy
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:31 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
How many people use Mapedit again??
For the original and this competition I use mapedit.

Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:16 am

I'm not mapping for this project right now, but when I am I use Mapedit. Always have and always will.
Rywolf85
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 4

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:48 pm
   Subject: Re: Map of the Month Club - Friendly Contest

BrotherTank wrote:

Well I started out using MapEdit, but then I decided to give WDC a try because for some reason, WinAmp didn't like me running a full screen application so the music would skip. Yes I took the suggestion seriously and put some music on. It does work. It's helped me clear my mind out and focus on map making. Anyway, I've been using WDC for the last couple of days and I really like it. Better than MapEdit. I recently found a couple of features that I didn't know about previously and has made this whole experience with WDC so much sweeter. I found out you can zoom in the map editing screen, which has helped a TON. That's one reason why I'd been using MapEdit - because it was big enough that I didn't have to strain my eyes so I could see what I was doing. Another really nice feature I discovered was you could change the color mode to make the symbols look like the MapEdit color scheme. There are a number of other features I really like that has made be glad I made the switch, but I won't get into them here.

Haasboy wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but with the recent engine (version C), I seem to be experience very slow FPS, ranging between 28 and 48. In engines A and B I never experienced this problem...

I've been playing with an FPS range of about 14 to 22. I've been using DosBox so I'm not sure what settings would improve this. I have my CPU cycles set to 17500, which is about as high as I can go otherwise the music starts to blip. If I run the game straight from Windows XP, the frame rate is much higher. Any suggestions how I could tweak the DosBox settings to improve this frame rate? I am running an AMD Athlon 64 1.8ghz 3000+ Venice core. Performance-wise it keeps up with a Pentium 4 3.6ghz, according to the benchmarks I checked on when I built this machine over 2 years ago. I'm also using an EVGA Geforce 8600GTS 256MB video card.

I'll wrap things up with this. My level is coming along great. I've gotten quite a bit accomplished over the weekend and so far I'm very pleased with the results. I didn't do anything too extreme. However, I have taken advantage of a few of the new features.

Take care everyone
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:02 am

@Greg,

Not sure if you got my email, but I've noticed these bugs in the latest exe:

1. Dead bodies block enemy movement.
2. When loading a saved game, especially after having exited and restarted the game, you lose all your weapons and ammo that you had when you saved.
3. When teleporting into a room, any enemies within two tiles (including diagonally) to the player are killed instantly. I've asked Greg about making this a 1 tile radius.

They're the same kind of things we had in an earlier version of the exe in the past so no doubt they're easy to fix.

So far I haven't noticed any other problems, and all's looking good.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:26 pm

AReyeP wrote:
@Greg,

Not sure if you got my email, but I've noticed these bugs in the latest exe:

1. Dead bodies block enemy movement.
2. When loading a saved game, especially after having exited and restarted the game, you lose all your weapons and ammo that you had when you saved.
3. When teleporting into a room, any enemies within two tiles (including diagonally) to the player are killed instantly. I've asked Greg about making this a 1 tile radius.

They're the same kind of things we had in an earlier version of the exe in the past so no doubt they're easy to fix.

So far I haven't noticed any other problems, and all's looking good.

Yep, I got it... And those items were easily repaired... 2 of them were settings... the loading was move 1 line of code up 2 lines... lol..

Click Here for the Latest EXE Update (WolfMMC4.zip)

That should take care of everything... I think... I hope...

Greg
BrotherTank

PS: Congrats Ariel.... I guess with you winning for September... you have the choice of Co-Ordinating November's Contest... So if there is anything you want changed feature-wise in the code... I need to know real soon, as I program real slow right now... lol.....
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:37 pm

Ok... Once again, I have my fingers crossed.... Hopefully this is the BugFree version...

Please Download:

Click Here to Download (WolfMMC5.zip)

This rids it of the last 2 bugs that Steve e-mailed me on...

So with that...

Beer Let the Games Continue! Beer

Greg
BrotherTank
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:37 pm

When running WolfMMC5 on my map, killed Brown Guards appear to block the enemy's movement. Is anyone else getting this? Confused
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:45 pm

Is this a Dead Gaurd Placed on the map or one that you killed is then blocking others from moving?

I fixed the problem with the dead guards acting as blocking (those placed on the map)... but if the enemies are acting this way then I'm going to have to play with the code a little more... although I know exactly where the code needs modified... If it's guards that you kill.... Once they hit dead... I can make them inert objects and that should solve the problem...

And if it's guards that you kill is it just brown guards or is it all guards?

Greg
BrotherTank
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:39 am

I found another bug: The pushable item doesn't work. And yes, I did the right thing regarding the wall/object Mapedit thing.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:37 am

Thomas...

The pushable Item thing... Try this route.. Draw room as normal.... including floor code (not push code)... then... place sprite on the map... then place the Push Code ONLY on the sprite that you want to be pushable... Smile

You only need to put the Push Code on the item that you want to be pushable. It is not a floor code. It is a modifier that the game looks at while setting up the level and replaces with the floor code around it. Think of it like the Ambush Floor Code...

It works for me and Steve....

Greg
BrotherTank
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:04 am

BrotherTank wrote:
PS: Congrats Ariel.... I guess with you winning for September... you have the choice of Co-Ordinating November's Contest... So if there is anything you want changed feature-wise in the code... I need to know real soon, as I program real slow right now... lol.....

Thanks, BrotherTank. I was surprised to have won, but I admit it felt nice. King of mapping AReyeP was finally overthrown after three mandates! He was not that invincible after all! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! LOL... Makes me wonder what kind of jaw-dropping entry he'll submit next so as to get back to number 1. It's bound to be kick-ass for sure... Smile

I like the idea of coordinating November if the rest agree. If, on the other hand, the majority think we'd better stick with AReyeP in order to avoid confussion of any kind, then that's perfectly fine with me. Can't really speak for him, but I think he's mentioned he'd like not to know who made what for a change, though.

Let's wait and see if people voice their opinions on this...

Ariel

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:13 pm

I have to agree with what Steve said in the other thread. Being a coordinator of the next month is kind of like a bit of a reward for getting first.
Although I would like to have made first, I did vote for your map Arielus. Though if I didn't, what would we do if we got a tie? Would we both have been the next coordinator?

Right... I'm getting off topic again...

I think that whoever won should be the next coordinator. This way we can also get something 'new' in the mix. Features that is...

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:19 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
Is this a Dead Gaurd Placed on the map or one that you killed is then blocking others from moving?
This is one I killed.

Quote:
And if it's guards that you kill is it just brown guards or is it all guards?
I haven't tried all types of guards yet. My map is completely void of Officers and Mutants. Freshly killed SSs seem to block the way at least some of the time, but I can't yet tell if SS problem is only because brown guards are killed in that square. Dogs are hard to test out where they appear, since the map's layout makes them hard to attack directly. I'll try something different and let you know how it comes out. Smile

Another problem - On my PC, the Gun Bobble feature doesn't seem to have the gun lined up correctly. It's shifted off-center the whole time you move around. If you toggle the Gun Bobble feature, the gun appears to get "rheumatisms", vibrating left and right. When you toggle the Gun Bobble feature once more, the gun is finally aligned correctly. I haven't messed around with the Fast Monitor feature to see if it affects this.
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:50 pm

@Greg - I did a thorough check with the new exe, and this is what I found so far:

1. Dead enemies placed by the level maker do not block enemies. However, dead bodies created by the player killing enemies act as blocking codes. I also noticed when I shot off Hitler's armour that his armour blocked his movement. Dead boss bodies also block movement.
2. Sometimes when I kill enemies, while the vast majority of them dropped ammo clips, some of the ammo clips were alternating between various sprite graphics (machine gun, chaingun, treasure cross, ammo clip) yet they still acted as a dropped ammo clip when I picked them up.
3. When I killed General Fatface, one of his death animation frames was that of Schabbs.
4. When I kill Fake (ghost) Hitlers, their death animation frames freeze for a second in a partially collapsed state.
5. I don't know if it's my imagination or not but most enemies (bosses included) seem to be easier to kill, but then I was testing on the third skill level (Bring em on) most of the time.
6. If a boss dies on a death artefact and the artefact vanishes, the key they drop appears to alternate graphics wise between the key and one or two other sprites (one of them was a bed).
7. If you start a level and stay in the room you started, and there are enemies on patrol in your level that open doors, you can hear the doors opening. This is very evident if you play my "Look Both Ways" level with this exe - just start the level, and stay in the elevator - you'll soon hear doors opening all the time.
8. A very minor thing - the master key doesn't float up and down as do the other keys.
9. I also noticed that when you push a pushable object around a bit, you will hear BJ make a grunt sound whenever you press the space bar on any spot that movable object has been. This is a minor thing though as it doesn't effect gameplay. I tried mucking around with this feature - I notice you can't make dead bodies pushable, but you can push a death artefact (provided you stand right in front of it and don't step onto the thing Smile ), but once the death artefact has been pushed it becomes an impassable object. I suppose it would be interesting to be able to push these things into the paths of enemies but these are minor things as I see the main use being in making sensible items pushable (such as barrels or chairs, not dinners, columns or trees Smile ).
10. Pac ghosts - I didn't check these to see if they lock the game up - it seems only mbender and I reported this in Ronwolf's level, and that was last month's exe also.

That's about it I think - if I find anything more I'll let you know. No doubt they're the simplest of things causing these effects, and considering the vast number of new features we have it's to be expected there'll be bugs to iron out. God knows how many bugs we struck during the making of EoD, it would seem serious to me at first being I'm not a coder, but it would nearly always turn out to be something minor code wise.

Pixel Master
Pixel Master

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:59 pm

Oh and I'll be working on the graphics for the MMC awards in the next couple of days. I've been rather busy the past few days as my wife was admitted to hospital on Thursday evening (nothing too serious and we hope she'll be home soon - she's doing well at the moment and was well enough to want to watch South Africa win the Rugby World Cup from her hospital bed Smile ).

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:21 pm

Anyone else getting the Gun Bobble problem I mentioned? I usually Warp to Level 2 before moving around, as that's where my WIP map is.
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:50 pm

I haven't had any problems with the gun bobble, I tried fast monitor on and off, and different weapons, and toggled the feature on and off but didn't notice anything unusual.

I did a little more testing today for an hour or so, and noticed a few more odd things:

1. On a test level (it's mainly a big corridor with little rooms off to the side and I have all various scenarios set up for testing) I had 4 dogs start attacking me, yet I only had one dog in the level. This only happened to me once and I haven't been able to replicate it. I had various dead bodies placed, lots of guards, a few mutants, officers and SS, and all types of bosses in the side rooms, so I can't tell what caused this one off.
2. As Thomas raised, the movable item feature doesn't always seem to work. I tested this - if I place a movable object in the middle of a big empty area, I seem to be able to move it repeatedly every which way. But if I put walls either side of it, I will find that I can push it so far until it gets blocked and I can't move it again unless I approach it from the other side and push it back the other way. There are other points where it gets blocked too, it's always the same points, but I can't see anything in the map that would cause this. In Thomas' level, you could only push the object north, not any other direction as he wanted it to go.
3. I've found that sometimes (and once again I can't say why it sometimes happens and not others) that where a remote pushwall stood before sliding, it blocks the movement of an enemy. I tried putting a boss in a narrow one tile wide passage, blocked by a remote pushwall. I threw the switch to free him, but it was like the space where the pushwall was originally blocks him. Yet when I try to recreate this in other areas, it doesn't block him. I also notice while making "Look Both Ways" that an enemy on patrol (using the predefined direction vectors) wouldn't be able to move past a normal pushwall (I just removed the pushwalls in the end) so this problem may be something that was present in the both older and newer exes.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:11 pm

Ok ... got them all written down...

Will get to work on them immediately...
I already know just by what you have said where a few things are and what to do about them.

The blocking problems are due to little quirk in the code that Chris posted to help with memory problems. It converts the actorat list into something much smaller and saves tons of memory... but it limits the number of maximum guards that you can put on any 1 level. But we haven't reached the max yet, but we are close... I could go a little higher... 245 tops.. as I will have to use other values to fix the blocking problem... lol... otherwise the max would be 250...

Anyhow.. should only take a day or two... so all is a go... design your map as if the blocking problem isn't there... and the pushable items.. the only one that might be a little difficult to fix is the pushwall guard passing... but I will try to make everything work...

But for now... it's time to try and get some sleep...

Thanks for the list... lol...

Greg
BrotherTank
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:51 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I also found a bug: When you lost all your ammo and you automatically switch to your knife, everytime you attack with it, the knife attacks and then is pulled back in and out again, like when you switch weapons.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Time synchronized with the forum server time
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> DieHard Archives View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 16 of 17 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to: