DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

The Wolfenstein 3d Blog
Page 3 of 8 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:13 pm
   Subject: Re: The Wolfenstein 3d Blog
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hi Everyone, this special post is to announce some exciting changes to the blog!

The Blog will now be known as 'The Wolfenstein 3d blog'. The reason for the change is that I have invited another Wolfer to contribute to the blog. WolfForever will be joining the blog and will from tomorrow, start blogger his reviews, analysis and all sorts of things also for everyone to read. I will continue to posts my blogs on Wednesday as I have been.

This is an exciting level of the growth, one we hope will bring even more information and discussion on Wolf 3d and give readers even more to read, play and discuss.

There may even be times when we both collaborate on a post, such as each giving our own review on a mod or even sharing the information we have found for some of the blogs special feature items that have been done here.

We hope you enjoy the changes and growth of the blog and as usual, if you have any suggestions of anything you would like to see or read on the blog then please either leave a comment at the blog or in this thread.

Thanks for reading everyone!
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:40 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I just put up a new post on the blog - it's my first review. Smile

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Nice review, very interesting first two posts! Smile
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks ronwolf Smile - BTW do you agree with my assesment on the mod?

(Feel free to be honest and admit if you disagree - no offense will be taken - just like I said in the disclaimer all reviews reflect MY opinion and they may or may not reflect someone else's.)
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:22 pm

Pretty much, yes. Arielus and Schabbs are two of the best mappers around. The only part I do not entirely agree with is the coding although I do get why you give it a 10, after all it gets the job done. But perhaps it should only be discussed and not graded. But that's just me. Laughing
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:34 pm

Yes, you got my point - maybe I shouldn't grade the coding because of the limited number of changes but I just wanted to be consistent and grade all aspects if I grade any, and the coding got 10 because what is done in that respect is done well and entirely appropriate, and thus I had no basis on which to deduct any points.

(Other aspects of mods will very rarely get a full 10, especially the gameplay and design categories, because I rarely if ever want to imply there can't possibly be a release containing even more fun/well made levels. However, with respect to code changes, I would consider it unfair to deduct points for a mod not having changes that it was never planned or showed any intent to have in the first place, because implementing such changes would or could ruin/hurt the feel or style the maker(s) were looking for. So that category is considered by what is there - so a 10 will be assessed as long as all code changes are done well and free of error, and are appropriate to provide the mod with its intended feel/style. If I review a fully vanilla set [one to be run from one of the original game exe's], no coding changes section will be included in the review.)

Also ronwolf - do you agree with me that this is one of the more overlooked mods (I mention this opinion in the concluding statement)?
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:32 am

MrWolfForever wrote:
Also ronwolf - do you agree with me that this is one of the more overlooked mods (I mention this opinion in the concluding statement)?

I agree, I think that might have to do with the fact that it has little coding changes and mostly relies on mapping. And those mods get played less than mods with new graphics and more coding changes (atleast that's what I have noticed, feel free to disagree with me ofcourse Laughing ).
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:15 am

I agree with what you say. It's unfortunate though, because mods with mostly just maps can still be really great, as this proves. Do you agree?

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:30 am

Yeah, definitely. Mapping always comes in the first place for me, even if a mod is code-heavy.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:19 pm

Exactly the same for me. Smile I'm currently playing Countdown to Disaster and find it almost a very similar type of mod to Deadly Sleep. What did you think of that mod?

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:14 am

I haven't played that one (yet). Will that be your next review?
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:49 am

It probably won't be my next review (and/or my next update won't be a review), but I finished it last night and it will probably receive a review at some point. It's actually quite similar to Deadly Sleep, being quite barebones on code changes but filled with good level design. I'm not sure I'd call it quite as good overall but I certainly felt it was a more than worthwhile game (a probable final score would be around 8 or so, give or take half a point). But I won't reveal any review spoilers; for that matter I haven't yet started writing the review, and like I said, it may well not be the next review I do, almost certainly not my next post. Anyways given you agreed in general with my Deadly Sleep review (i.e. thought it was a very good game), I'm fairly confident you'll like C2D a fair bit as well and would recommend giving it a go for sure.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:18 am

BTW just a general observation - this blog is almost exclusively related to Wolfenstein - so why is its related threat in the section that disclaims "Things NOT Wolfenstein related!"? Not that it's a big deal or even I care that much, but I just wonder how this got and managed to stay here.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:06 pm
   Subject: The Wolfenstein 3d Blog

I just made a new post on the blog, my only for this weekend. But it's my first post in a new "type" of post I'm introducing - and any feedback would be welcome. Smile
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:04 am

Very nice, I like the analysis and I hope we see more of these kind of posts. Smile As for me, E4L5 is a great level but I'm not a fan of hiding necessary keys behind pushwalls. It should either be obvious or hinted at like in the first level of Absence for instance. But that's my personal preference.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:52 am

Really? I always thought the key in E4L5 was easy to find. It's not as if it's locked away for no one to see. You can see it through the barrels in another room. Or at least that's what I remember.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:50 am

It's possible, it has been a long while since I've played the level. But in general I'm not a fan of hiding necessary keys behind pushwalls.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Yes, the key was hidden behind a Pushwall, with the key visible behind a few barrels.
Metal Overlord
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 33
sweden.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Hey Dean, I was tip-toeing around the boards and found the blog. I noticed that you had even reviewed my old horror of a mod (the code changes were good though, thanks again Havoc!)
It was a neat trip down memory lane to read about all the flaws you mentioned, especially since that's exactly how I feel about it nowadays. It was my first try though, and as I said way back; we learn from our mistakes. Hopefully you'll all see that I have improved when I finally release the completely remade version of TGOEL (whenever that'll be, lol. Very Happy)
Keep up the great work with the blog, you two! The posts are very well written and interesting. Smile

(Oh, also, hey everyone who still remembers me. I'll probably be around a bit more, I've missed these boards. Very Happy)

RichterBelmont12
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 97
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Metal Overlord wrote:
Hey Dean, I was tip-toeing around the boards and found the blog. I noticed that you had even reviewed my old horror of a mod (the code changes were good though, thanks again Havoc!)
It was a neat trip down memory lane to read about all the flaws you mentioned, especially since that's exactly how I feel about it nowadays. It was my first try though, and as I said way back; we learn from our mistakes. Hopefully you'll all see that I have improved when I finally release the completely remade version of TGOEL (whenever that'll be, lol. Very Happy)
Keep up the great work with the blog, you two! The posts are very well written and interesting. Smile

(Oh, also, hey everyone who still remembers me. I'll probably be around a bit more, I've missed these boards. Very Happy)

I Also Did an LP on this too

https://www.facebook.com/RichterBelmont123

https://twitter.com/Richterbelmont6
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:33 pm

Metal Overlord wrote:

Thanks for the nice words Marcus Smile I'll certainly give it a go when it comes out. Through researching the blog post I saw some of the screenshots and the list of new features for the and it looks very impressive so far! Good luck with the rest of it.
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Week 2 of my 'Monkeeworks' special see a post of 'Operation: Mutant Strike'.

The post can be read at 'The Wolfenstein 3d blog' which can be accessed via the link in my signature.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:11 pm

I've finally gotten around to posting the first part of my ATAW3D Level 69 analysis! Smile

You can read it on the blog and any feedback (positive or negative) would be welcome. Smile As would any other relevant commentary.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:16 am

For anyone who's interested, I'd like to make a small correction here:

The Wolfenstein 3d Blog wrote:
Thomas Weiling's mod "All This And Wolf3d" holds one record for sure even to this date - it's the only Wolfenstein mod out there with more than 60 levels to its name, and probably will remain that way until Thomas himself releases his next project "The Last Howl".

I have by no means played every mod out there, but I do know that 'The Orb of Dilaaria', released about half a year before Thomas's mod, does have more than 60 levels - 65, to be exact. Granted, you do not get to play all 65 (thanks to the still-to-this-day most awesome code change ever: the alternate paths feature), but the levels are in there, nonetheless.

Things are far better explained here:

http://winwolf3d.dugtrio17.com/wiki/Orb_of_Dilaaria#Map_List

Keep on rockin' in the free world,

Ariel

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:51 am

You are correct, I made a mistake there. I will do a small edit. Smile What did you think of the post in general?

EDIT: I've changed that sentence now so it's more accurate. Again, good catch on your part. Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:54 pm

MrWolfForever wrote:
What did you think of the post in general?
It was excellent! If this part of the game is half as interesting as you make it sound, I really need to take the time to finish the mod now. Too Cool
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:09 am

New Wolfer Q&A post up today with Majik Monkee!

You can read it at the blog which you can access by clicking on the link in my signature.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Seeing it's Wednesday there is a new blog post up today!

It's a review for a crappy little mod you've all probably never heard of or ever played and thankfully the creator (to the best of my knowledge) isn't still around or he'd like, totally hate me forever, or something, for it! Razz

You can read the review, and the blog, by clicking on the link in my signature. Check back every Wednesday for something new!

Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Dean's Wolf3D Blog wrote:
Worst Level: All
LMAO! Laughing
RichterBelmont12
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 97
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:16 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tricob wrote:
Dean's Wolf3D Blog wrote:
Worst Level: All
LMAO! Laughing

And I thought I was the Worst heh Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/RichterBelmont123

https://twitter.com/Richterbelmont6
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 3 of 8 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: