DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Map of the Month Contest - June 2k7
Page 1 of 3 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Which Maps Did YOU Like Best for June 2007??
Map 1: Forbidden - by: Adam Biser
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Map 2: Here Goes Nuttin - by: Ack
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Map 3: Abandoned dungeons - by: Serpens
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Map 4: Deja View - by: BrotherTank
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Map 5: Citadel - by: Areyep
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
Map 6: Out of the Blue - by: Thomas
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Map 7: Luger Me Now!! - by: CodeTech84
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Map 8: Paths of Peril - by: Tricob
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Map 9: Gun & Run - by: MegaByte
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Map 10: Secret Corridor - by: RonWolf
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Voted : 16
Total Votes : 43

BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:56 am
   Subject: Map of the Month Contest - June 2k7
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Here are your 10 Choices for the Month of June. Pick your favorites (up to 3) and in 21 days you all will have chosen the winner for this month. The Winner will then be able to become the Co-Odinator for the August Competition...

And if we can get this going for 12 months consecutively... We can do Map of the Year!

So play the maps and get your votes in.

Click Here to Download this Months Entries

In just 21 days we will have our very first Map of the Month Contest Winner.... The results of your votes will appear at the end of the poll! So that way we will keep the anticipation running until the very end.

Aren't I the Evil one... lol... Smile

Get your votes in and:

Beer Let the Games Begin! Beer

Greg
BrotherTank

Last edited by BrotherTank on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:03 am; edited 5 times in total
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:12 am
   Subject: Re: Map of the Month Contest - June 2k7
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Oh man this is a good First run....

The maps are amazing Guys. I've only warped around and played a little of each one... but wow! I finished the First Map and actually used it for debugging purposes on the main EXE. I did have to make a few changes to the EXE as there were a few problems. So anyone who has downloaded the EXE before my two posts explaining the problems (this one and the one in the actual Map of the Month Thread) - You NEED to download the archive again as you really need the NEW EXE. The new exe does Not mess up your saved games.

This is going to be one tough competition though, as everyone has given some interesting maps with different challenges. I didn't look at any of the maps when I was installing them at 4am this morning and putting the package together... So I am as blind as all of you are as to who did which and what/where everything is on your maps.

I must say thanks to those that have contributed to the first set. You 9 + myself (as I have a map in there) have the honour of being the first. So in my mind you are all winners for helping make this work.

Hat's off to you All for great work!

Greg
BrotherTank
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:26 pm

And hats off to you Greg for coming up with this great idea!
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:21 pm

I'm on Level 2 (Here Goes Nuttin') and have both keys, but can't find the exit ???? . Can anyone give me a hint?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:33 pm
   Subject: Map of the Month Contest - June Voting

Sure. In the biggest area of the level is routes to the north and south. The south route (IIRC) has several sections shaped like the bottom half of a rake, and each of these sections is connected by a door (These halls will have *lots* of multi-colored bricks). Go beyond these sections, and you should enter a rectangular-shaped area with a thin slab of wall in the middle of the room. There will be doors to the left and right. Take the door to the left (It'll be locked), and if you're in the right room, you'll face one or more dogs, and find several clips of ammo. Go left again, and you're headed towards the exit.

Let me know if you need more info. Smile
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:41 pm

Cheers Tricob! I'll give it a go.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:26 pm

And please... to those that have finished and voted...

We'd love to hear your comments on the maps - what you thought of things - the game exe - and any other comments you'd like to give. Personally, I'm very impressed with all the maps. And truely making choices as to which I thought were best was extremely tough.

The styles vary so differently and yet... in reality.. it all seems to work quite well. It would be a great showcase for all the games out there where you could take the best of the best maps and put them into one big mapset. I really enjoyed all of the levels. Some were extremely difficult and took some real strategy to finish. I wasn't going for 100% ratios and I don't remember beating any of the par times... lol.

I must say emphatically... FANTASTIC WORK It was really enjoyable to play your maps, and I really appreciate the effort that went into them all. To anyone who hasn't downloaded them and taken the test run... I can't say enough that you will really like these levels. They are challenging, well thought out... and exciting to play because moving from level to level the design ideas change and really throw of any playing strategies you might have had. Each one provides a new challenge...

And for those that have noticed the game borf out on the demo, that is due to the demo's within the vgagraph not being compatible with the maps in the game. So while the game does error out, it's not a bug or problem. I've actually recorded some new demos and installed them into my own vswap to make sure that things worked. It does... So what I will do for next month is make the demos external... and record a few quick ones to be included with the release, so that the game doesn't crash if you let it go through the demo loop...

Greg
BrotherTank

PS: Don't forget as well that we have started taking submissions for the next months contest as well...
I'm sure that after you've played these levels, you will be recharged with ideas and the need to participate in the next one... So join in... It's only 1 map per month..
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:27 pm

Fun stuff... starting level 5. I missed the par time for level 4 by one second. Laughing

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 20
poland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:17 am

Generally speaking, all the maps are truly good, many of them fast paced, all difficult. I had a damn hard time beating some of them as well. Plus the design, aesthetics... they rule in this element, too. I myself couldn't expect anything better from this first contest.

Pixel Master
Pixel Master

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:33 am

I've only finished the second level but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far! Thoroughly enjoyed both levels! 100% ratios on both (had to do a second run around on the second level as I missed some things first time). I won't comment in detail on any level I play though until I've completed all ten, although I'm making brief notes after finishing each level so as I can look back on them later.

All this gets the creative juices flowing - I've already got my July map under construction Smile

Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:26 am

AReyeP wrote:
I won't comment in detail on any level I play though until I've completed all ten,

Exactly what I thought would be a good idea, too. I know that I would appreciate that sort of feedback.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:28 am

I know guys.. that's why I said:

BrotherTank wrote:
And please... to those that have finished and voted...

We'd love to hear your comments on the maps - what you thought of things - the game exe - and any other comments you'd like to give.

I was hoping that the ones who had voted would post what they thought of things and as those others voted that they would then post as well. It wasn't necessarily break down each level or tell us which you voted for but a more general - what did you think of things.

Greg
BrotherTank
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:33 am

bah, are you making fun of the fact that I always miss something when I read... huh huh?? Laughing

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:43 pm

EXE bug: On maps with more than 390 objects, guards stop dropping ammo very early in the level. This is because dripped blood is added to the Static Objects list until it reaches 400, leaving no room on the List for dropped ammunition.

Anyway, I voted for 2, 5, and 10.

Level Two brought back all sorts of good memories in my early days of map-making, as well as when I played an old version of Mr Wolf's shareware map sets. I remember in designing one of my older levels, I mapped every square of the room with multi-colored bricks, only to find it was overkill, and I made every other brick simple Red Bricks. Anyway, as far as Level 2 was concerned, it was the easiest to get lost in out of all of them. I had like twelve or fourteen minutes on my total time when I actually completed the level. And I *still* haven't found all the secrets! ???

I guess I enjoyed Level 5 as much as I did because it's so much like a Spear Of Destiny level. Spear Of Destiny was my favorite of all Wolfenstein episodes, and I'm very partial to any level that's designed in its style. Call me Mister Spock, but I found this level downright fascinating.

Level 10 reminded me of the very first map I ever designed. Like Map 10, it had you push a wall to go on, and then - like Map 10 - that was where the fun *really* began (You were facing *my* Pushwall at the very start of the level, too!). It was a pretty exciting level to play, and had lots of neat things placed in it.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:44 pm

Damn Dude... Don't tell us what you voted for.... lol.. we can chat about that after the contest is over. Well at least the makers of those maps know who got your vote.

I was asking more of an in general. Stuff like:

Did you like the maps?
Did you find them too difficult?
Did you find the overall game enjoyable?

That's the kind of stuff... lol.. oh well... To everyone else... lets just keep it general don't give names of maps or level numbers... just talk in generality... at least until the voting period is done. We don't want to skew anyones vote in one way or another because of another persons likes or dislikes...

Greg
BrotherTank

PS: Tricob... put the spoiler code around it or something... lol...
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 54
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:52 pm

I'm half way through the levels but I'm having massive problems completing Level 5, anyone else? It loks like a brilliantly designed and challenging level but I just can't beat the level. I always count how many times I die when playing a new level, but I switched the game off in anger after dying for the 20th time, and I still hadn't found a key!! I'm not a newbie to playing levels and I feel I have some pretty strong Wolfing skills so I hate to think how much trouble someone who hasn't played a lot of levels would have with this.

I have strong suspicions who made this level, not that I've played many of this person's levels, I just have a feeling, but dude IMO you made the level too hard. Maybe others aren't finding it as difficult, I am also playing on the hardest difficulty, but theres just no where in the majority of it that you get any respite, normally I would chear this but when you just keep dying so contsantly you start to get a bit pissed off after a while.

The first four levels have certainly been interesting and especially diverse in nature. Its fun playing so many mixed styles in the one mod. It's also I find myself sitting there wondering who created each level while trying to identify common themes that I may have seen in other mode before. I'd love a list at the end of whom made what level.

I also found a couple of bugs in the game. I'm getting one of those thin distortion lines down the left hand side of the screen. It occurs when I use the quick save/quick load functions. It started on Level 2. I tried stopping the game, closing it down and coming back in and when I loaded my save game it was still there. I switched the PC off, came back a few hours latrer and started playing again and it was gone. However, when I started using the quicksave function again it came back again. I tested a couple of other random mods and this doesn't come up in them. Not sure if this is happening with other people.
The other one is the extra sound effect of when you get shot. It makes a welcome edition to the game but unfortunately it overrides the firing sounds of some of the guards (Especially the SS) and you don't know that you are being shot until all of a sudden the screen feezes and you die.
Outside of this there is some fantastic enhancements to the original game. The different ways that guards run unexpectantly, the random blood splatters, the slightly modified sounds especially from the mutants, as well some other stuff takes nothing away from the original feel of the game. This is really great source you have made here Greg.

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:20 pm

Dean... I'll give you a hint...

First off... the TAB-W will allow you to go onto the next level - you can warp levels at any time... so you don't have to beat one level to go to the next. Now for the real hint... I'll put it in a spoiler... If you didn't find the pushwall at the start of level 5...

When you start the level and kill the first guard before he opens the door... then... open the door run and push the walls on the right side... You'll take a few hits... but the reward is worth it. I found it totally by mistake on about my 30th try to get around the corner and into the first door set... on the right. You actually take too many hits from everyone inside the various rooms behind the pillars... when you hit the pushwall and it starts to move turn and fire at the guard behind the pillar in front of you... you can even shoot as you go through the door at him... but watch your back once you get in that area... Very Happy Evil or Very Mad

But... if you can't finish the 5th... play the others and then go back to the 5th later...

And thanks for the words on the engine... It still needs a little work... oh.. and yeah.. on the flickering thing... try using the TAB-F command to turn on the fast monitor option. The code I'm using has been compressed so much that it actually runs faster and will especially be noticeable on say 700Mhz machines and above. I notice it occassionally on my 400Mhz PII machine.. so anything better than that... and you should really turn it on. If I had used the Raycastor side of the code, it gets even more noticeable as it's even faster drawing than the original code. Anyhow, Any values that you turn on/off will be saved with your game when you save. I put all the settings flags in the gamestate so that what you save is what you get back. In the end... I'll put the code that I'm using up in the downloads area.. as I think that many people would like to see what I have done. As an example I took the 6 routines for doors, pushwalls, and walls, and made it one. Basically anywhere I could compress the code and remove redundancy, I did. So the background execution is just that much faster. I almost wanted to put a VLB_Wait in the Drawing section just to slow it down (as Ripper suggested in a thread in the forums) but I put it on a toggle to allow people to adjust it to their machine... So give that a try.... load your game... Press TAB-F and save the game... then your problem should go away.

Hope all of that helps...

Greg
BrotherTank
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:23 am

The engine certainly enhnces the original game. Love the comments you get when looking for secret walls too, especially when passing wooden barrels - I never noticed this until playing the past few days!

Anyway, one minor little bug I did notice at my end - an enemy dropped blood in front of a door way, and when I went back to open the door, it wouldn't open until an enemy opened it from the other side. Don't know why this happened as it's the first time I struck it.

Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:50 pm

AReyeP wrote:
Anyway, one minor little bug I did notice at my end - an enemy dropped blood in front of a door way, and when I went back to open the door, it wouldn't open until an enemy opened it from the other side. Don't know why this happened as it's the first time I struck it.

I have had that happen to me constantly on map 5... every time I kill one of the bosses, a blood splat blocks a door and I have to load and fight again. Has happened about 3 times so far and no luck getting past this point until I get them further from the door.

EDIT: Finally got past this stuff... now I get error 0x1047 when I get to what I hope is the final area (with the third boss).

Last edited by Adam Biser on Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:50 pm

Okay. I was really excited abouyt this whole things but when I downloaded it, it said that my file was corupted.

I'll try again and hope it works.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi guys... I just got an update from the author of Luger Me Now... Seems he sent me the backup and not the final - so the exit was missing... I'll update the maps and update the download in the first post of this thread - that is a direct link to the file and not via the Download program which so many seem to be having problems with.

But please wait... I noticed the blood in the door problem 2 days ago myself and it didn't make sense at the time, becuase I thought that Chris had taken care of that problem with his conversion of the actorat variables (I used his tutorial so that it takes less space to give more free memory).

I also got a couple of PM's from people saying about the but on Map 5 - The Citadel, where it pops out with a 0x1042 error. That is a bad sound error. I'm not sure why that is happening as the sound is there, the variables are all right. But I will have a fix for it shortly.

The other problems that have been reported - like the blood drops when static items reach close to the 400 mark have been dealt with and the others have been fixed. I just need to fix these 2 errors listed above and I will post that the file is updated.

Sorry for the problems and inconvenience it has caused a few people.....

Greg
BrotherTank
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:26 pm

Well this is the first time we ever try this, we're bound to run into some glitches before we get this running smoothly.

Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:43 pm

Lozer_42 wrote:
Okay. I was really excited abouyt this whole things but when I downloaded it, it said that my file was corupted.

I'll try again and hope it works.
If it doesn't, just PM me with a proper EM address and I'll send it your way. Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:46 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
I also got a couple of PM's from people saying about the but on Map 5 - The Citadel, where it pops out with a 0x1042 error. That is a bad sound error. I'm not sure why that is happening as the sound is there, the variables are all right. But I will have a fix for it shortly.
If it's a help, this error occurs when the the General fires a missile at you. I imagine Otto has the same problem.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:14 pm

Tricob wrote:
BrotherTank wrote:
If it's a help, this error occurs when the the General fires a missile at you. I imagine Otto has the same problem.

Nope... you imagine wrong. It's amazing how many times you guess at things I'm doing or thinking and get wrong...

It was that I actually left out a simple case instruction... The giftobj is there.. the Fatobj wasn't. That was the whole problem. I also fixed the blood splats if there are more than 380 statics active then it will not drop splatters and I also added a fix to stop it from dropping them in doorways.. The Luger Me Now map is updated by the author and installed. I also added a fix so that if BJ is making his hurt sound and someone fires, the shot will still sound or override the umph sound... And I fixed a few more little bugs and updated a few graphics ... and tweaked things to make it 100%.

Now all the bugs that everyone has mentioned have been squashed... So I've uploaded the new download... Click the link in the very first post to get the new file.

Greg
BrotherTank
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:29 pm

Thanks BrotherTank. However, now when I killed Fettgesicht in Citadel he alternates with the Schabbs death frames and even Otto, I think. Then the death cam kicked on, but play continued...

<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:54 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
EDIT: Finally got past this stuff... now I get error 0x1047 when I get to what I hope is the final area (with the third boss).
I got this error as well, and it was also on level 5. It was with the third boss as well. I was in the room before the third boss with one of the other bosses chasing me I ran into the room with the third boss. The game then totally crashed and I got this error message. It says 'error: 0x1047 Please call apogee on 1-800-xxxxx'

I didnt get the blood blocking the door but I have had it flashing. I shot a guy and the blood fell on top of another sprite (bones) the two sprites then kind of flashed continually, as thought they were fighting for supremecy.

@ BrotherTank - Thanks for the hint. I had found that room but not the continuation of it. This made things much easier although i've still had massive problems finishing the level, the bosses are causing me no end of trouble. Level 5 is one of the most challenging levels I have ever played in any mod.

Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:57 pm

@Dean: Be sure to grab the new version, it does fix the 0x1047 error.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:09 am

Adam Biser wrote:
Thanks BrotherTank. However, now when I killed Fettgesicht in Citadel he alternates with the Schabbs death frames and even Otto, I think. Then the death cam kicked on, but play continued...

Hmm... I thought the standard combined statetypes in the drawscaleds routine would handle that, but I guess there must be something in the Deathcam that triggers it to do something else.... Ok... something else to look for. But the game did continue and all was fine? That's good at least....

Yep.. with this release... you will find (if you go vswap hunting) that I'm getting ready to expand it to 7 or so door types and a few other things.. including a few more graphics... to allow with some other scenarios for their maps, like maybe an outside area... etc..

And I've already got 1 map in for July.. so the contest continues... I really like this.

Greg
BrotherTank
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:12 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Is there an updated July release of the EXE? can you post a link please.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 3 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: