DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Map of the Month Contest - July 2k7
Page 1 of 5 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Which 3 of the 15 maps did you like best??
1 - Retro Shapes - by Tricob
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
2 - Invictus - by MegaByte
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
3 - Cat N' Mouse - by Areyep
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
4 - Familiar Shape - by CodeTech84
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5 - Dogs - by RonWolf
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
6 - EntryWay - by Adam Biser
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
7 - Sentinel - by Serpens
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
9 - GateKeeper - by Dean
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
10 - The Chateau - by RocketBoy
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
11 - Smoothness - by Arielus
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
12 - Whoops... - by Adhesive_Boy
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
13 - Shreds of Pain - by Ack
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
14 - Redux - by Thomas
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
15 - The One Domain - by Haasboy (2Votes)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8 - Hitler's Revenge - by BrotherTank (Disqualified)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 18
Total Votes : 48

BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:29 pm
   Subject: Map of the Month Contest - July 2k7
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well....

Here it is as promised. This month we have 15 entries.... So the fever catches on!
Just like last month... You can vote once for your favorite 3 maps. So download them, play them and then Rate them....

Map of the Month Download July 2007

There is one more change to the ExE file this month - It's the TAB-T command. No need to explain it, as I'm sure you'll all understand instantly.

And as I really enjoy saying...

Beer LET THE GAMES BEGIN Beer

Greg
BrotherTank

Last edited by BrotherTank on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:36 pm; edited 8 times in total
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:42 pm
   Subject: Re: Map of the Month Contest - July 2k7
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

15 maps up from 10 last month. Looks like this idea is catching on.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:47 pm

It's truely addictive... especially if you get a challenge going. My mouth and I got into trouble saying last month that I wanted to beat Ack and AreYeP just once.... I didn't mean it as a challenge but more as a challenge to myself to better my mapping skills. So I had 3 choices to enter this month... and even the one I did submit - I was still making changes within 30 mins of the deadline... so... oh well..

And once you submit 1... then it's like... ummm... like playing the lottery... ummm... maybe something more addictive.. hmmm... It's like crack to a junkie... well... maybe not that addictive.. anyhow...

I hope everyone enjoys this months compilation... And in 21 days I will announce which members made which maps. Hopefully that is long enough for everyone to finish all the maps... lol...

Greg
BrotherTank
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:52 pm

I know what you mean. It would be nice to get ahead of ack or AReyeP. Laughing Maybe some year (speaking for myself).

Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:02 am

The only problem with having won the first month's competition is that there's only one way to go from here, and that's down lol! 15 entries!!! This is great!!! I wonder who's taking part this month? My curiosity will have to wait 21 days ...

But until then I have 15 levels to look forward to playing Smile

Good luck everyone!

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:57 am

I'm starting to wounder how many there will be in the next month... Beer

I've just downloaded it and it is quite exciting I'm must say. I'll have to wait untill I play through all of them though before I can say anything more than that.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:42 am

EXE Update to fix the Warping Issues...

New EXE Only Download

The original download file has been updated as well. So if you haven't downloaded the game yet, you only need to download from the first post in this thread.

Greg
BrotherTank

Last edited by BrotherTank on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 162

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:23 pm

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:19 pm

Thomas wrote:
I see there's a lot of new graphics. Nice. But there isn't any "new objects" as well, is there? I mean, to add in the mapdatas.

That's under discussion and waiting in the other thread... I made a few little changes in this one, but nothing major. None of the original types of walls were changed, just the actual graphic look of a few of them... ie... the Metal Wall, was orginally blue and is now Silver... or more of a Steel look... along with the elevators were changed to make them look a little more "Stainless Steel - Metal" look... Although I did add the extra Elevator Rail Graphics... those I know are going to be in next months... and a brown stone graphic with the sign was added to add another dimension to the game as that graphic set only had the 2 original graphics... I suspect those will stay for next month, but again,... that's in the other thread where we are discussing changes and additions.... So lets continue the August stuff in the other...

I've finished the first 2 maps this morning and started into the 3rd, but had to go to therapy.. I really didn't want to stop playing. Man this stuff is good. If all the maps are like this for this month, I'm going to have a hard time choosing who would get my votes...
Anyhow... I'm going back to play... Very Happy Evil or Very Mad

Greg
BrotherTank
Adhesive_Boy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 9

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:17 pm

I am probably going to need therapy after this 3rd map...looks like someone was a fan of Areyep's map last month Smile. The first two were also great. I have a feeling mine might not even be the 10th best, let alone in the top 3.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:42 pm
   Subject: Map of the Month Contest - July 2k7

Dang! Some of these maps are *really* tough! It was all I could do just to get past the first two rooms of Level 10. I haven't had such a hard time keeping ammo in my belt since I was playing Episode 5 of the original game (Levels 2 and 4).
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:50 pm

I know I said that changes to the game should be discussed in the other post thread, but I have been asked to ask if anyone else is offended or bothered by the changes I made to a few of the graphics. It seems that in doing so I have inadvertantly changed the concept of at least 1 persons map by the graphic change to the fixed old Elevator door (the one that doesn't work)... and also by changing the graphics for the elevator itself.

I leave it to all of you to let me know if this change has affected your map and if you believe that it will affect the way people will see your map and/or vote for it. I am sorry for any problems this may have caused anyone and I guess my penalty should be to remove my map from the contest voting. That way the people and maps involved will have a better chance of winning or placing in the contest. Please advise me if the punishment fits the crime?

Greg
BrotherTank

Edit: Please do not give away your maps name so that the voting for the rest of the maps will not be influenced or affected when discussing this... thanks again...

Greg
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:05 pm

Played level 3 OMFG! That level was intense! After my 5th try I finally became victorious!

If anyone is struggling I can share what I did on my 5th go at it. Unless that doesn't seem right. I'm not sure.
If people are begging I will but other wise I'll let them figure it out.

I'm quite pleased with many of the levels so far. Can't wait until I can beat the rest. Level two had a nice start but it was hard!

[edit]
I completely agree - these are tough.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:52 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
I know I said that changes to the game should be discussed in the other post thread, but I have been asked to ask if anyone else is offended or bothered by the changes I made to a few of the graphics.
Well, I really like the replacements you've done with the steel plating, but there's more than one map I see where the new gray shading of the steel plates doesn't work, and one of those maps is my own. One example (not my own map) is where the steel plating is put in an intersection of the hall, to offset the look and feel of this area (at least, that's my impression). Since the plating is now gray instead of blue-green, the setup kind of backfires.

I am enjoying these levels, but be forewarned - Levels 5 and 10 are tough nuts to crack.
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:37 pm

Maybe there could be both kinds of steal plating and doors... and let the mapper decide.
(continue conversation in other thread?)

--
I too found it to be a shock. It didn't fit in my mind but worked. (maybe because the mappers didn't know of the change) The graphics are nice and all but I think that if we want to keep an original feel, maybe we should keep to the original Wolf/Spear graphics. Unless you think you can get something that looks like it could have been in the original then we might be able to give it a try. But the new doors... no... I don't think they fit. They're not bad; but I don't think we should use them.

But then again, know that the mappers know of the change they might be able to have them work better. I think maybe both should be used.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:50 pm

Tricob wrote:
BrotherTank wrote:
I know I said that changes to the game should be discussed in the other post thread, but I have been asked to ask if anyone else is offended or bothered by the changes I made to a few of the graphics.
Well, I really like the replacements you've done with the steel plating, but there's more than one map I see where the new gray shading of the steel plates doesn't work, and one of those maps is my own. One example (not my own map) is where the steel plating is put in an intersection of the hall, to offset the look and feel of this area (at least, that's my impression). Since the plating is now gray instead of blue-green, the setup kind of backfires.

I am enjoying these levels, but be forewarned - Levels 5 and 10 are tough nuts to crack.

Ok so that's at least 2 that were offended...

And with that I will edit the original post and remove my level from the voting list.

For those that wish, I took the time to put together the graphics to make the original what you expected. Here is the updated V files... Download them Here

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to offend anyone and I didn't believe the changes would affect any design per say... I meant no harm.

Greg
BrotherTank
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:03 pm

BrotherTank wrote:

Ok so that's at least 2 that were offended...

And with that I will edit the original post and remove my level from the voting list.

For those that wish, I took the time to put together the graphics to make the original what you expected. Here is the updated V files... Download them Here

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to offend anyone and I didn't believe the changes would affect any design per say... I meant no harm.

Greg
BrotherTank

I didn't mean it if I came off like that!

Thank you though for putting together a set with original graphics though. I think you could still use these graphics in August. But at least then the mappers will know of the change.

I too was under the impression that we wanted to have this like the original games in most ways. If we wanted new fancy graphics why not have a Graphics contest. (lol - WLHack would kill us all in that) Not that the graphics are bad. They are actually quite good; I very much liked the doors. And in my opinion the gray plated walls work better with the level shading and the teal ones do. I just thought that maybe you might want to wait and see what everyone thought.

The gray steal would actually work better in my map than the teal walls too.

I guess the best way to say it would be that in the August release - have both and let the mappers decide.

--
Not to sound like a moderator but I think we should go back to reviewing the levels...

Speaking of which, was level three as for you guys as it was for me? or are my gaming skills a bit rusty still?
(I haven't played many games since spring break, aside from the occasional game or two, and the June MMC as well)

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:41 pm

level 3 murdered me, but I finally finished it...I basically had to memorize a path and follow it so I knew where pretty much everything would be. I've been noticing a definite theme of alerting a tremendous amount of guards at one time in these maps Very Happy. 5 is a really great idea, but I have to remember to avoid being ambushed by tons of SS. That's as far as I've gotten so far (aside from randomly warping here and there).

Greg, you really didn't have to remove your map from the list. I agree with the others about keeping the original feel, but I don't feel that the new graphics detracted much of anything and there's no reason your map should take a hit for that.

DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Adhesive_Boy wrote:
Greg, you really didn't have to remove your map from the list. I agree with the others about keeping the original feel, but I don't feel that the new graphics detracted much of anything and there's no reason your map should take a hit for that.

I must have missed that when I read your post... Why did you remove it? I'd like to know why? If it's for punishing yourself or something well, don't. You did nothing terribly insane. I didn't really think much of the changes until you mentioned them. Yes I did notice them before then and wasn't 'exited' about it but I let it go. I'm sorry if I came off on the wrong foot.

I'm going to keep playing with the stuff I have already gotten. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:26 pm

The reason that I removed myself was because two others infered that it did affect their levels.

They were not the first to question it thought. I received this PM and that is why I am punishing myself as a basic disqualification...

PM from Dean wrote:
Hi Greg,
I hope this doesn't cause a problem but I noticed that you changed the 'fake locked door' graphic in the July exe to some sort of electronic looking elevator wall. The only problem was that I have used this in my exe, in fact its what the player is facing when they start the level. Having this newer wall has made the start of my level look very out of place and I suspect may affect on how people judge my level. Not that I'm worried about winning (although it would be nice ) it just isn't a true representation of my entry. Not sure what you want to do about his or if it's affected other entrants as well. Just thought I'd let you know.

Dean

And with the other 2, that only confirmed that what I did may have some affect on how people percieve the levels. Especially with the way the voting was for June and all the responses from people and how they voted. You are all correct. When I started the contest I wanted to try and keep the original feel of the original game. As such... I will also spend the next few hours and retool the exe to make it so that all bosses do not trigger the Deathcam and that they all just die and drop a key.

The changes that I was hoping to add for August (as many people were asking for new graphics - [which in fact why I started changing them this round - as it was done last night about 2 hours before the release] ). But for August I wasn't trying to change the style of the graphics per say, but rather some of the colours used to make them a little more natural and realistic.

For what it is worth, the changes that I sent to Steve were basically some additions to the original set including the two brown stone graphics (in this current release) along with the white walls from SoD and another set of brick type walls by Leo (they are brown) like the red brick series. Included in Leo's set were two graphics that I was inspired by. They were Brown Brick to Wooden Panel - Basically top being brick and lower being like a chair rail with wooden panel below and the same style of thing that I created from it in Red Brick as well. There was also a brown brick to Marble wall... and again I made a red brick version of this as well. I thought that they would give the map maker a little more choice and a way of transitioning walls better.

I also added some new sprites... 3 types of ceiling lights (red, blue, purple) as well as some trees and a few pieces of furniture. I sent that to Steve to check out and see if he could come up with some kind of Outside walls with say hedges or combinations so that you could also have outside transitions. And then of course I made sure that the elevators could be used in not only East/West positions, but also now in North/South. And then I added the Pistol Pickup... The two new keys for the White and Red locked doors and then a Wooden Door and a Metal door with Mold/Slime type of thing. I had also made the elevators with the Stainles steel type of walls... Which were modifications of the elevator walls from SR/EoD with a little BrotherTank modification... to make them look a little different.

I was waiting to see what he would send back, but the idea was a new look somewhat, without changing the actual style of the walls or type changes... so that if we replaced the Red Brick with Brown Brick, none of the previous maps would have had to be changed as they all used the graphics from the same location value in the original.

Anyhow... As I said.. the PM was first... that got me reading the other two threads on the contest... and then I realised that many of the voters were looking at the walls and how they fit specifically when they were voting... so I asked in here... and immediately there were two (I expected the one - but that's only because that person wants changes but not wanting changes sort of thing). Anyhow... the only real remedy or solution was to update the original download with the original graphics (minor minor changes only in the elevator door jams) and slight modification to the locked doors.... And people have a choice of updating their game with the new "V" files (vgagraph, vswap) or they can download the original file again. Anyone new downloading will have the proper files. And because of my changes, I inadvertantly affected how the other maps in the game may have been percieved.

I suggest that anyone that has played into the game quite a way... please restart... and view the maps as they were designed in the first place with the proper graphics. And I disqaulified myself from the voting because the chaanges made may have affected how people would vote for their maps. Thus.. if someone was going to give a vote to me... they are now forced to give the vote to someone else and that increases and hopefully equals out for the problem I caused.

Greg
BrotherTank

Last edited by BrotherTank on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:05 am

Here is the fixed EXE (I hope) with the Deathcam removed completely. All bosses just die when killed and should drop the yellow key as originally defined in the first post on the features and facts when creating maps.

New and hopefully correct EXE

The exe in the first post (full version download was also replaced with this one). Once again, sorry for the incovenience this caused.

Greg
BrotherTank
Andy_Nonymous
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:40 am

BrotherTank wrote:
I know I said that changes to the game should be discussed in the other post thread, but I have been asked to ask if anyone else is offended or bothered by the changes I made to a few of the graphics. It seems that in doing so I have inadvertantly changed the concept of at least 1 persons map by the graphic change to the fixed old Elevator door (the one that doesn't work)... and also by changing the graphics for the elevator itself.

I leave it to all of you to let me know if this change has affected your map and if you believe that it will affect the way people will see your map and/or vote for it. I am sorry for any problems this may have caused anyone and I guess my penalty should be to remove my map from the contest voting. That way the people and maps involved will have a better chance of winning or placing in the contest. Please advise me if the punishment fits the crime?

Greg,

I think this is quite an inappropriate penalty, and one that benefits no one. If your map is good enough to win, you should win.

A better "punishment" would be for you to create a "Mac Graphics Extraction 2" this month! Laughing

Andy
Adhesive_Boy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:24 pm

I agree with Andy, especially considering the extreme amount of effort it looks like you put into your map that would go to waste (yes I'm a bad person and looked at it in Mapedit).

Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:34 pm

I don't think you should remove your map Greg. What you've achieved with bringing us this map competition has inspired everyone and given us all something to look forward to each month. It's done the community so much good that you should be rewarded some how. And how? By at least not removing your entry I say. You deserve that much as without your input we wouldn't have the competition to start with.

Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:13 pm

I hope no-one takes this competition so seriously that they feel that someone should be punished. I sure as hell don't. Besides, if my map were to not get any votes, how could I blame engine bugs or modified graphics for that. You don't deserve to be punished Greg, remember this is all fun and games...

BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:34 pm

Sorry guys... I had a bad night and last couple of days... Maybe it's the meds.. don't know..
But I gave myself the punishment because what I did was wrong and it could and did affect how people felt about their own maps with the new graphics. Based on knowing how the votes were last month, people were not only looking at the excitement and challenge but also the asthetics of the designs. The changes that I made affected those asthetics.. It changed some of the atmosphere...

So it's only fair that I removed my map from the voting and fixed up the graphics (hopefully - I haven't heard any more) back to pretty much Wolf3d standard. This way people can play the maps the way the authors/creators meant them to look and they will not be penalized for athestics and such. By removing my map as well... It means that votes that may have come to it can now possibly go to those maps that it affected.

Truely.. I'm ok with this guys... It's not a big thing and I don't mind. Yes, I really did want to compete with Ack and Areyep... But there's always next month. There will always be another time as long as the competition continues. So don't worry about it. I gave and accept the punishment based on truely rational thinking. I'm just sorry that what I did affected others and I sincerely hope that what I did doesn't stop them from participating in the future months competitions.

So to you all I appologize for what I did...

Greg
BrotherTank
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:09 pm

Well I think the biggest punishment for most of us is not to see your map in the collection.

Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:15 pm

*sighs a sigh of slight sadness*

There's much I could say to this but I think that we should turn this conversation back to the levels and how we thought of them. Yes? Greg is fine with not having his map in this month, kind of - I think. But we should seriously go back to levels and not talk about what someone did with his own map.

I must say though, this months maps are very tough. I'm very curious to know who mabe level 3 - cat 'n' mouse. Though I have a strange feeling it could be Steve's Beer

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 54
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:04 pm

PM from Dean wrote:
Hi Greg,
I hope this doesn't cause a problem but I noticed that you changed the 'fake locked door' graphic in the July exe to some sort of electronic looking elevator wall. The only problem was that I have used this in my exe, in fact its what the player is facing when they start the level. Having this newer wall has made the start of my level look very out of place and I suspect may affect on how people judge my level. Not that I'm worried about winning (although it would be nice ) it just isn't a true representation of my entry. Not sure what you want to do about his or if it's affected other entrants as well. Just thought I'd let you know.

Dean
I really wish you hadn't left my name on this. I specifically asked you not to have my name down as being an entrant in this until after the competition..... I'm a bit disappointed that you've done this Greg.

*EDIT - This seems a bit harsh, sorry. I was a bit pissed off at the time when I saw my name on it.

I don't feel that you should have to pull your level. I will still play all 15 levels from the original and vote accordingly.

I have no problems with making changes I just feel that if you are going to make such changes then they should be in the exe first so that when we are mapping we know exactly what our level is going to look like when it is released.

Last edited by Dean on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_Nonymous
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:23 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Dean wrote:
I have no problems with making changes I just feel that if you are going to make such changes then they should be in the exe first so that when we are mapping we know exactly what our level is going to look like when it is released.

This problem could be overcome if we change the rules so that the winner makes his desired changes the second month after winning.

So for instance, Steve's proposed changes wouldn't kick in until the September contest. This will allow a little time for Steve to think about what he wants, create it, test it, etc. before the mappers even start using it. No changes other than bugfixes while the maps are being made.

Andy
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 5 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: