DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Doors - Which one will you take?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

When there are a group of doors along a wall, which ones would you take first?
The left door
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
The middle door
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
The right door
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
One of the side doors
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
The closest one to me
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Randomly (I have no pattern)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
The center door is always last
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Voted : 14
Total Votes : 22

Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:36 pm
   Subject: Doors - Which one will you take?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Okay, after you've read the options above you are probably thinking something like "What the F&@%! is this?" so I'll try and explain this breifly.

I started this so I can get a feel of what people tend to do when playing levels. Knowing this kind of stuff I think could not only help me make better levels but also other people. As stupid as this poll may seem I can assure you that I have a very good reason for starting it. Even if you can't see it.

Okay then. I'll start.

I have done this kind of routine thing subconsiously (playing with a routine can actually be quite bad). but I've always noticed that I go for the door on the far right first, and the middle one last. My thinking - should all the doors lead to the same room If I take the right most door, most likely I'll only be only having to fight enemis to my left. (of course they could always get around me...)

What about the rest of you?

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 21
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:44 pm
   Subject: Re: Doors - Which one will you take?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I always take the leftmost door in such situation and slowly explore towards the right. I consider this the best and fastest method. I wonder what most people do... this knowledge could be used in setting traps. Smile

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:29 pm
   Subject: Doors - Which one will you take?

Well, it depends on a number of things... First, the decorations around the doors often hint at what's behind them. So, if I see a row of doors, and one of them has flags or "Achtung!/Verboten!" signs next to it, and the other is unmarked, I usually take the unmarked door first... the reason being that people often put tougher battles behind the "special" door, and my strategy is to deal with the "small fish" before moving onto the "big fish."

Second, it depends on the spacing and number of doors in the row. If I see a bunch of doors close together, I can sometimes guess that it's a cell/storage area, and that the doors lead to a bunch of small rooms. In that case, I usually take the first door in the row, and systematically "clean out" the rooms one by one... usually going from left to right, but sometimes vice versa, depending on how I entered the hall. For doors that are far apart, I'm less likely to stick to this system.

Third, if I'm low on health or ammo, and need to get more fast, I'll try and guess which door is most likely to lead to a room with supplies. If I'm in a really desperate situation, like 5% health or less, and I'm running away from a bunch of enemies that are shooting at me, I'll take the nearest door, unless I know there's more trouble behind it.

I guess in general, I tend to go from left to right, but not always. However, I rarely take the center door first... I take a door on the far left or right side so that I'm less likely to get surrounded by enemies.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Like WSJ, it would have to depend on the layout. If I'm going through an expanding hallway that suddenly ends with a line of doors, I'd take the one in the middle; it's the easiest to back out of what's probably a deliberate trap by the mapper.

In a rectangular hallway with this door setup, I tend to take the door to the left ... I think. It might be the right door. I really don't know; one of the two. I do it so impulsively nowadays, I'd really have to record a game to be sure. And with how often I move sideways in the game, watching my own recording could give me Motion Sickness, along with my pet cat, if I had one. Sick
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 54
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:14 pm

I'm with WSJ on this one. For me it all come to the decoration around and in front of the door. If there are flags/wreaths/signs on the either side of a door then I know that this is a door that is more important than one that doesn't and will more than likely either have a tougher challenge behind it or be the one that i need to take in order to get to another area. Same goes for free standing decorations like flags/trees etc. You would imagin that the Nazi's would have the extra nice decorations nearer to the areas that they frequent rather than prison areas etc.

When I come up to a straight wall with 3 doors in front of me, i never take the center one, always left or right. When I come into say a rectangular hallway and no door is marked with any of the above then i'm either a left-right or right-left kinda guy depending on the flow of the level and the feel for where the more importnat stuff is then I can decide to either go their first or leave it for last.

Mixing it up is importnat some times also, like if you have 2 doors side by side put decoration around the one that isn't the path that the player needs to take but fill the room full of guards, just to be mean...

<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:22 pm

I usually use the right to left... And yes Ack... I noticed that sometimes you punish people for taking the route.. lol... or that by going a specific way that you miss a large part of the map.. lol. I think it's because I am right handed and I just started using a method that allowed me to find my way back. Over the years people have mentioned many ways to detail a map by using your mind or a piece of paper to layout where you have been... But I didn't like having to pause and update a drawing on graph paper so I didn't loose myself in a map... So it was about that time that I started with the always go right and work paths from there... again, taking the right from the right, from the right, from the right and so on... lol... It sometimes takes a little longer to finish a map or find everything you need quickly, (or if Ack traps you with the punishment.. lol..), but that's become my style...

Greg
BrotherTank
dunkelschwamm
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:58 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I read a research paper about why people get lost in woods so often is that when they run into an obstical, they turn in their dominant direction, like if they're right handed, they go to the right.

I am right handed, and I always go to the right Razz

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: