DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolf4SDL released
Page 2 of 18 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> SDL Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Zero X. Diamond
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 26
ussr.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:43 am
   Subject: Re: Wolf4SDL released
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

My brain just exploded. EXPLODED.

This is REVOLUTIONARY.

I have to get off of my vaporware peddling butt and find a way to use this to materialize a mod that will actually end up seeing the light of day. I mean, seriously! Do you realize what can be done with this? People can actually make games with this engine that don't require any outside help to run properly on modern machines. In that respect, the Wolfenstein 3D community can actually turn out games of a similar quality to those that have been getting made as of late--amazing, that is--and have them be reachable by a far wider audience. Those who have no idea how to operate DOSBox or have any idea what VDMSound is will be able to play games made with this! And potentially the most interesting tidbit is that because of this, making a full, commercial game and selling it (as has been cleared by a thread somewhere on this forum as being legal so long as the source is also available with it) is now 100% viable, as it will be playable by anyone with a computer and five bucks to spare. Think about it! A group of guys with the skills to do their own coding, sound and music production, and graphics work could slap out a commercial game at no cost and sell it for a little extra cash.

Ripper, you're a genius! I could kiss you if I wasn't afraid of getting your cooties! I'll have to try this sweet baby out for myself when next I have access to the internet locally on my own computer instead of my mother's...

Bring 'em On

Topics: 12
uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:46 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Zero X. Diamond wrote:
Do you realize what can be done with this? People can actually make games with this engine that don't require any outside help to run properly on modern machines. In that respect, the Wolfenstein 3D community can actually turn out games of a similar quality to those that have been getting made as of late

Let's not get carried away. It's still only Wolf, people'll only really play it for the nostalgia and because it's free. And probably because of the easy 4th party mod support, which is always fun Smile

Quote:
And potentially the most interesting tidbit is that because of this, making a full, commercial game and selling it (as has been cleared by a thread somewhere on this forum as being legal so long as the source is also available with it) is now 100% viable, as it will be playable by anyone with a computer and five bucks to spare. Think about it! A group of guys with the skills to do their own coding, sound and music production, and graphics work could slap out a commercial game at no cost and sell it for a little extra cash.

So it's a completely freeware engine? Awesome! This should make it a lot easier to get my copyrighted content through.

Ontopic: due to so many teething problem with SDL (I think it's my computer), I'm going to put this on hold while I finish assembling a demo 'pitch' in 4GW. Still can't wait to get it working though.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 40
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:17 pm

I just realised I had Visual Studio sitting around on a CD at home _after_ I finished downloading exactly the same version on dialup! Sigh. I'm glad that SDL has awesome library support, because now I've ripped out the OPL2 emulation and started using SDL_mixer 1.2.8 for OGG support and nice sound. Finally!
Zero X. Diamond
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

ussr.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:12 pm

the_fish wrote:
Zero X. Diamond wrote:
Do you realize what can be done with this? People can actually make games with this engine that don't require any outside help to run properly on modern machines. In that respect, the Wolfenstein 3D community can actually turn out games of a similar quality to those that have been getting made as of late

Let's not get carried away. It's still only Wolf, people'll only really play it for the nostalgia and because it's free. And probably because of the easy 4th party mod support, which is always fun Smile

Not necessarily. People will play a game if it looks fun and word gets around well enough. Maybe if you're trying to charge as much as people are for most commercial games these days nobody would buy it, but if you put something out for maybe $5 and you get some good word out through some better known channels, you'd stand to make profit off of the venture. A good example might be how I released a Mac Blaster clone on floppy disks in high school that was only 16 color, ran in a tiny window, and was incredibly simple. I sold it during lunch hours for fifty cents a pop. By the end of a week, I'd sold out and made $20--for having spent $0. Ultimately, it's just how you market it. No, not every dummy who thinks a game has to burn your retinas out with amazing photo realistic graphics is going to go for it, but there's a very strong retro-esque gaming movement going on out there. Think of all the dummies who are buying Nintendos just for the sake of being able to tell their friends they've bought one!

the_fish wrote:
Zero X. Diamond wrote:
And potentially the most interesting tidbit is that because of this, making a full, commercial game and selling it (as has been cleared by a thread somewhere on this forum as being legal so long as the source is also available with it) is now 100% viable, as it will be playable by anyone with a computer and five bucks to spare. Think about it! A group of guys with the skills to do their own coding, sound and music production, and graphics work could slap out a commercial game at no cost and sell it for a little extra cash.

So it's a completely freeware engine? Awesome! This should make it a lot easier to get my copyrighted content through.

It's not completely freeware. It's released under GPL, which means that you can use it for anything you want, but you can only sell it if your end result contains no previously copyrighted materials (including even the most heavily edited sprites), is released with the license TXT, and if the source code is made available simultaneously. If you were to try and sell something like End of Destiny for example, you'd probably get your head lopped off with a nice cease and desist or a lawsuit, due to the fact that it stars an iD Software character and many of the graphics are based off of their works.

DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:32 am

Hmm, I might have to try and sell my mod to my friends! Minus the fact that half of them are helping and the other half are to busy playing Crysis. Very Happy

Zero X. Diamond wrote:
You'd probably get your head lopped off with a nice cease and desist or a lawsuit...

That's one nasty paper cut! Mr Green
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 21
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:12 am
   Subject: Wolf4SDL released

@Tricob: I just removed a duplicate definition of MAPPLANES in wl_def.h, but that aside, I don't see any problems with a third map plane. I already tried multitextured floors/ceilings in a port of Klooni to Wolf4SDL and can't remember having any problems with a third mapplane...

@AlumiuN: 8 map planes?!? WTF?!? What are you going to do with them??? And which editor are you using? Does WDC support any number of map planes?

@the_fish: The replacement of "*80" by "*vbufPitch" only applies to wl_draw.cpp. For others it is to be replaced by "*curPitch".
But you may send me a mail about your problems. Perhaps I can help you. The experiences gained from solving your problems could be posted here to help others porting their code to Wolf4SDL.

@Codetech84: Thanks, I applied your changes and removed the remaining warnings.

@Zero X. Diamond: Well, inspite of all the changes the code is still copyrighted by id Software and the OPL2 emulation is copyrighted by the MAME team. I added the license files of both to the repository. Both licenses state, that it is not allowed to use the code commercially. I'm not a lawyer and I don't know if id Software changed the license of the Wolfenstein 3D source code to GPL like for the Quake engines, so I cannot tell you anything definite about it. But I think the source code of a Wolf mod should not be released directly with the release of the playable game, to keep secrets secret for a while. Well, I don't even know, if the licenses really make it neccessary to release the source code of a mod based on Wolf4SDL at all...

I'll release a new official version of Wolf4SDL shortly. If you haven't already started making a mod with it, I'd recommend to wait for it, as many files have been reformated to improve readability. (Damn you, Watcom IDE!!! Rolling Eyes)

Bring 'em On

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:32 am

Ripper wrote:
@Tricob: I just removed a duplicate definition of MAPPLANES in wl_def.h, but that aside, I don't see any problems with a third map plane. I already tried multitextured floors/ceilings in a port of Klooni to Wolf4SDL and can't remember having any problems with a third mapplane...

Not sure what I did, but mine was being erratic too. Can't pinpoint the exact type of error because Wolf decided it would draw a black screen over everything until I somehow managed to quit by mashing ctrl/alt/delete/enter/f4 etc.

Quote:
@the_fish: The replacement of "*80" by "*vbufPitch" only applies to wl_draw.cpp. For others it is to be replaced by "*curPitch".
But you may send me a mail about your problems. Perhaps I can help you. The experiences gained from solving your problems could be posted here to help others porting their code to Wolf4SDL.

Thanks Ripper, but it's going to be a while until I attempt this again - I need to polish stuff in my 4GW version first (generally not code based though, so no real wasted time).

Quote:
(Damn you, Watcom IDE!!! Rolling Eyes)

Haha now imagine switching to Visual Studio, getting everything nicely formatted and aligned, then having to switch BACK to Watcom. Sad
Zero X. Diamond
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

ussr.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Ripper: I swear that there's a thread around here somewhere where somebody contacted iD Software or somebody who was related to the development of the original Wolfenstein 3D about the commercial viabilities of modding, and they sent a reply e-mail saying that it would be fine, so long as the source code was provided, no copyrighted content was used, and the license document was included with the game. I'm gonna go try and find it and link it from here.

EDIT: We are so quick to forget! Here's the thread, in which Deathwish had a several hour long e-mail relay with Todd Hollenshead, the CEO of iD Software.
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=3771&sid=15ec5ae693c7bea460dff47f897d196b

DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:44 pm

Ripper wrote:
@AlumiuN: 8 map planes?!? WTF?!? What are you going to do with them??? And which editor are you using? Does WDC support any number of map planes?

Well...

Plane 0 - Map (same as normal)
Plane 1 - Objects (same as normal)
Plane 2 - Floor textures
Plane 3 - Ceiling textures
Plane 4 - Radiation (low byte)/temperature(high byte)
Plane 5 - Lightmap (if the_fish decides to tell us how to do it Smile)/flags e.g. animation, deaf guard etc. (high byte)
Plane 6 - Extra object plane
Plane 7 - Level briefing plane (e.g. you write on it, the engine converts it to strings and prints it on screen)

Yes, some of that could probably be removed/hard coded/shifetd to other planes, but I'm working on support for up to about 65000 textures, so I can't combine 2 & 3 at least. And I used to have 9 planes, but WDC has a maximum number of planes of 8, so I'm fine! Thumbs Up Laughing I suppose I have to use WDC (unless anyone else has made one which has support for 8 planes!)

Ripper wrote:
But I think the source code of a Wolf mod should not be released directly with the release of the playable game, to keep secrets secret for a while.

Seeing as I'm _not_ going to release my game commercially, and that my mod is probably going to be huge anyway (>300 mB, due to all of the .ogg music, .wav files and ridiculous amount of textures and sprites!), I may as well bundle it in with it and the rest of my mod-making applications that are in the works. Yes, my mod is going to also be a platform for other mods. Maybe.

Ripper wrote:
Damn you, Watcom IDE!!! Rolling Eyes

What's so bad about Watcom? I actually found it better than Borland!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:13 pm

Ripper - Thanks for trying out Plane 3 for me. Smile

the_fish wrote:
Ripper wrote:

Not sure what I did, but mine was being erratic too. Can't pinpoint the exact type of error because Wolf decided it would draw a black screen over everything until I somehow managed to quit by mashing ctrl/alt/delete/enter/f4 etc.
Which OS?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:37 pm

AlumiuN wrote:
Ripper wrote:
Damn you, Watcom IDE!!! Rolling Eyes

What's so bad about Watcom? I actually found it better than Borland!
I did too, but there's a couple of things in there that probably annoyed Ripper. For one, if you want to edit a file that WatCOM compiles, you have to double-click it, you're brought to the Editor window showing you an unedited, completely empty text file (WTF?), so then you have to go to the file menu, tell it to search for a different file type, then re-select the same exact file you just double-clicked in the Compiler menu. If you happen to close the Editor window (or even WatCOM) afterwards, you have to repeat the same exact process all over again the next time you want to edit a file, no steps skipped.

Another thing - Make commands. There's a "Make file" button, but no "Make all files" button. If you've edited more than one file *and* you're like me and can't remember every single file you edited, you have to select "Make All" from the menu, wherever in the world it may be deeply buried. Rolling Eyes
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Huh. On my computer, it always seemed to open a file perfectly from the IDE. Anyway, this is very, very offtopic (we should make a new topic to complain about WatCOM, seeing as there seems to be plenty to complain about!).
the_fish
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:54 am

@ Tricob: Windows XP SP2...I think it's just my screwy system or possibly my graphics card. It sometimes breaks when playing .wmvs for no reason and forces me to reboot.

BTW Watcom was annoying for me as
(i) the indenting is atrocious, as it makes certain words bold and others not (completely removes the benefit from fixed width fonts) and theres no easy +/- level control
(ii) there's no browse information or 'search all files in project' feature, so I have to search each file in turn to find the function I want instead of simply right-clicking and selecting 'goto definition'.

I've never tried Borland, and I hope to God that I never have to. Microsoft mess a lot of things up, but I like their development environments. And this is on topic because Ripper has now allowed us to use MS Visual Studio Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Well, it turns out the File Editor problem I have is my version of WinXP; I don't have SP2 or SP3 installed. When a file is called where the path goes beyond 80 characters in DOS form, you either have to call it from a menu or place it in a folder closer to the root directory. I'd always wondered why I couldn't get the new version of VDM Sound working when I installed it. Neutral

At any rate, if I installed SP2, it'd mean getting a pop-up balloon every two minutes from Windows XP that my WinXP version is no longer secure. I've never been able to turn this feature off on any machine I've used. Anyway, I'm not trying to sound like a grouch, but I'd rather have the path limited to 80 characters than see one more pop-up balloon ever again. Sad
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:33 pm

Yay for Windows 98 and no pop up balloons! As for the editor formatting in WatCOM, you can change the colours and fonts. The file path thing would explain why I didn't have any problems, though - my source path was D:\wolf4gw_freepush_3, so it never came anywhere close to 80 characters.
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:43 pm

Wolf4SDL v1.2 is out!

Quote:
Wolf4SDL v1.2 (released 2008-01-09, revision 108)
- Fixed fading for 'End Game'
- Corrected fading speed
- Added Spear of Destiny compile support
- Reimplemented palette file (Sorry...)
- Fixed end game crash, when player did not die yet
(Thanks to Agent87 for noticing this bug!)
- Added full size screen feature
- Added project files for Code::Blocks and Dev-C++
(Thanks to Codetech84!)
- Made it MinGW compatible
- Fixed demo fading issues
- Reformatted many source code files
- Resolved all warnings reported by VC++ 8 and GCC
- Fixed crash when starting the game with no sound >effects<
(Thanks to Agent87 for noticing this bug!)
- Always grab mouse when started in fullscreen
- Map left and right alt, shift and ctrl keys to the same keys
- Fix numpad keys with numlock off
- Fixed a buffer overflow causing a crash

I'm sorry, but the game palette format changed, again. It is now represented by "wolfpal.inc" and "sodpal.inc". This format provides more flexibility for the future, as the palette entries are evaluated using a macro (RGB) which can be customized for different platforms (like making a palette file, which is compatible with the old DOS versions and Wolf4SDL).
I'll ask Adam, if he can provide support for this format in WDC.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:49 pm

Will ChaosEdit need to be updated as well, to support the proper extraction of palettes to the source?
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:07 am

Hey, Ripper, I meant to congratulate you on this awhile back. It's looking good. I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had much time to try it out though. Sad

I'll see about adding support for those palette files to WDC...

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 58
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:21 am

@Ripper: Is it possible to make the source code compatible with Visual Studio 2003 as well?

Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:42 pm

@Tricob: Yes, of course, I'm going to add it. But I'm having some problems compiling ChaosEdit as I don't have Visual Studio 6 anymore.

@Adam: I hope you find the time to try it. You just have to uncompress the binaries, copy your Wolfenstein 3D files into it, execute and enjoy Wink

@Haasboy: Well, I'm sure, it is possible, but I don't have it, so I cannot help you. I guess the project file is the problem? Try to create a new project and add all cpp files to the project. Then set the include path to include the SDL headers and add the SDL.lib and SDL_mixer.lib to the used libraries.

Bring 'em On

Topics: 6

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:22 am

My keyboard doesn't have a "scroll lock" key.

Is it possible to have something like F12 as the key to lock\unlock the mouse?
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:14 am
   Subject: Wolf4SDL v1.3 released

Quote:
Wolf4SDL v1.3 (released 2008-01-20, revision 113)
- Added parameter for SOD to disable copy protection quiz
- F12 now also grabs the mouse (for keyboards without scrolllock)
- Fixed out of bounds array access in key processing

Starting from this release I split the executable and the DLLs, so you don't have to download those DLLs over and over again (especially if you have a slow connection). Additionally I provide a precompiled version for Spear of Destiny.

I'm going to release a new ChaosEdit version shortly, which supports exporting the palette into the new format.

EDIT: The new version of ChaosEdit has also been released. On the Palette screen under Customize press on "Export palette" and choose "Wolf4SDL palette" as file type to save the currently selected palette for use with Wolf4SDL.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:38 pm

Excellent! It'll be cool checking out the new versions of your releases. Smile

Say, does anyone have a version of WolfSDL that compiles using Cygwin or MinGW, assuming the current version doesn't do so already? I've had no luck installing MS Studio, as it requires installing XP SP2, and that update can't complete installation on my PC (It gives an Accessed Denied error without telling me what it's denied access to).
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:52 pm

You could compile it using Dev-C++ (the .dev project file is for that) - http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html. It's free (in fact, I think it uses MinGW as a compiler).
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:53 pm

Thanks. Do you recommend Version 4 or the Beta, Version 5? Smile
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:03 pm

Well, it's really your choice, but I use 4.9.9.2. I haven't taken a look at the beta yet.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Thanks for the input. You seem to have a very technical mind ... even more so than I. So if it does what *you* need it to do, it should suit me for quite a while. Thumbs Up
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:18 pm

You need to install two (.devpak) files from the Dev-Cpp ide in order to compile the code, I did sent them to Ripper but I'm not sure if he included those in the last revision. It doesn't really require much knowledge just a couple of mouse clicks, but you have to install Dev-Cpp first.

SDL: http://devpaks.org/details.php?devpak=12
SDL_mixer: http://devpaks.org/details.php?devpak=6

Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:46 pm

Thanks for your help. Thumbs Up Well, IMO including the files in the source download wouldn't be space-efficient if they haven't been modified in any way. Better to just include links to the files like you have here, or post them for download separately.
Metal Overlord
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 33
sweden.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:17 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well, well. I'm absent for some weeks and look what I come back to! Excellent work, Ripper. You never cease to amaze me. Very Happy
But I think I've got a bad version of Wolf on this comp, the vgagraphics are all messed up, lol.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> SDL Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 18 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to: