DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

As for the source code...
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Larry Stein
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 18

china.gif

Warnings : 1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:55 am
   Subject: As for the source code...
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

As for Corridor 7's source code, once I asked Les but he said he cannot find any of them...

And it seemed to be a trouble in supporting Corridor 7 in WinWolf3D...

Once I posted this one on Adam's forum... People say the programmers of the games made them disappointed.

EDIT: Corridor 7 is very buggy... I think I should take a look at its source code and check them out.

- For me, sound sometimes work crappy. (It happened in my old Pentium computer, but the sound will work fine in the menu before I start to play it. Also, my old TVGA 9440, 1MB Graphic Card cannot play videos. I wonder there should be a function to disable it.)
- Music plays before initialize and will stop after a second, and then the music will play in-game.
- Music in Alien levels and Bonus levels (31-46) are randomized. But is it possible to set a fixed music on it? Also, this caused a bug that the game plays a music for a second before initialize and then play another music in-game, just like what I've mentioned above.)
- If you complete a level or pick up another alien weapon, your alien charge will reduce to 100 but it still shows the original number. (Maybe Les has put a display value and a real value, and display value will be synchronized, but he left a bug that picking up a weapon or finishing a level will SET the charge amount to 100 not ADD 100, actually he think the player will get 100 alien charges if he used up last level but he left a mistake.)
- Because Adrenaline Boost can only be used in current level, almost every level has it... I'm going to make the adrenaline boost just like what I've made to my own Wolf3D modifications... (Add a little and permanent amount of health and armor max)
- Health, Ammo and Armor display is depended on 100 on HUD, not depend on their current max.
- SHIFT key itself regards as a normal movement (so you'll go back slower but run faster) in some situations, and the problem remains in the CD version, not fixed.

AND SO ON...

EDIT 2: Added something else. I've sent another mail just for discussing the game... But no respond in these 12 hours.

Last edited by Larry Stein on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:11 pm
   Subject: Re: As for the source code...
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well, we're hoping that someday someone will run across a copy of the source and release it. The longer it takes, the less likely it will happen. I know that the programmers for Blake Stone thought that they *might* be able to get the source to it, but the last time they checked, their backup floppy disk was unreadable. I asked Les also and he told me the same thing. 3D Realms is no help, they were only distributors for games such as Blake Stone and thus don't hold any power of the source code anyway. I really wish we could somehow at least mimic the functionality of these other games. It would take a lot of time to be able to duplicate all the changes to the game and I know we'd never get fans 100% happy without using the real source as a base...

I also wish that programmers had the foresight to preserve their code using better methods than storing floppies in an attic or something, but sometimes that's all you have. I've lost files I'm kicking myself about now, too. Not much we can do except get permission to reverse engineer the games, which I can say that we do have that permission with Blake Stone, under a few conditions.

DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:02 pm

Most of your "bug's" are features of the game you didn't like rather than actual "bug's", such as the slightly unusal method of running in the game (that you can't "run" sideways and backwards like in other games for instance).

The only actual "bug" in your list is the ammo counter thing which I have never actually noticed myself (but then I may have simply not been paying attention to my ammo counters :p).
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 21
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:18 pm

@Adam: Can you tell me something about the "few conditions" under which "we" have permission to reverse engineer Blake Stone?
I just unpacked the LZEXE 9.1 packed bs_aog.exe (I used UNLZEXE v0.8 from http://uk.geocities.com/short_stop_uk/freesoft/arc2.htm. I had to port it to 32/64-bit though first, as my stupid Vista 64 cannot execute 16-bit applications).
They used a Borland C++ compiler from 1991. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borland_C%2B%2B) this must have been Borland C++ 3.0.

Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:32 pm

These come from discussions between Da_maniaC and Mike Maynard and Jim Row. These discussions were in regard to adding Blake Stone support to WinWolf3d (hence the mentioning of a Windows port).

Mike Maynard wrote:
Hey Marcel,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Been out of pocket the past couple weeks ... on vacation, then sick. (Better than being sick "during" vacation) hehe

I'd totally support a port of Blake Stone to windows. I have archived copies of BS source and data on 3.5" floppys; HOWEVER ... when I tried to pull them over to hard disks about 2 or 3 years ago several of the disks were unreadable. So, I don't think they're going to be any help.

I've discussed doing an open-source release with George Broussard (3D Realms) but again, unless we can find some way to pull the source off of the corrupt disks it's just not gonna happen.

I've been working at id for a couple years now and was surprised to learn that they don't have source to Commander Keen. So, we're not the only ones that did a poor job archiving the old games.

When you do these ports I assume they're just freely, publicly available from your site?

Again, I'll take another look at the disks to see if there's any way to access the data that's on them but assuming they're dead, you have my full support in reverse engineering the game.

Mike

Jim Row also replied:
Jim Row wrote:
Hello,

We are working on gathering the latest source for you, on a few conditions.

1. The converted source, data files and any tools (with source) written to generate the Windows version of the Blake Stone port must be returned to us .

2. The Windows port (executable, binaries, levels, maps, etc) are provided to the public for free.

3. The original authors (James Row, Michael Maynard, and Jerry Jones) are listed (and visable) as the original authors in the copyrights page (any extra fluff would put a big smile on our faces Wink.

4. That's it.. Smile

Tt has been 15 years since I've looked over the code. Michael is gathering source ports from PSP and other platforms. Our original backups has suffered a case of 'bit rot' on the floppies we used at the time for backups and trying our best to recover the source, map data and tools.

I'll keep you updated as we progress -

Thanks,

Jim R

These emails were from July of 2007, no response has been had since even though Mr Row's seemed pretty hopeful. The conditions only say source usage only and don't specify reverse engineering, however Mr Maynard stated that he's support the cause. Reading Mr Row's email again doesn't sound like he was thinking an open source type deal, but more of a "make a free EXE that can run the game, but give the source and tools, etc, back to us". He doesn't specify making the source itself public. So I might have jumped the gun here a bit.

Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Hm... Mike wrote that "several of the disks were unreadable". Any parts of the source code or a linker map file would be a great help in recreating the original sources. In fact a map file would be the best possible thing to happen Wink
Although the "must be returned to us" doesn't sound too positive, I think we could get the official OK. A port without the ability to further improve it, is just useless.

Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:08 pm

I agree and I got the same vibes that you got. I just sent Mike another email to see if he's still around and to see if there has been any progress. We'll have to see.

Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks! I'm looking forward to see the answer!

Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:27 pm

Sure thing... if and when I hear anything.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:49 pm

If it's of any help, I'm 100% positive that Blake Stone was *not* programmed using BC3.1, but with a different compiler. Many parts of the game engine seem to run different speeds than those in Wolf3D, despite obviously using the same routines.

Moreover, the framerate is too high to have all the guards' data compressed into one byte like we do today with 16-bit Wolf3D coding. Yet the proof of additional Conventional Memory is everywhere, in particular with the better detailed view of the walls and Static Objects. If you enable this sort of view with 16-bit Wolf3D *without* compressing your guards into one byte, memory will be a serious problem for you.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Well, if it's any help, I think think JAM used the WOLFHACK.C file for their floor/ceiling textures. A modification of it, of course. Smile

EDIT: Actually, they might have used BC 3.1, but with different memory settings, etc.
Larry Stein
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

china.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:29 am

I just checked my mailbox and found Les' reply. Looks like Les is keeping an eye on the code... He may have lost it, but he is trying his best to make it available to everyone who wants it.

And for Ripper, as far as I'm concerned, it won't be difficult to convert the original Corridor 7 source code (if Les found it) into Wolf4SDL engine.

As for the HUD problems:

1. If the screen not at full state (as the HUD is outside the game screen), there will be a line when a value is reduced, but it will disappear if you open the save/load menu (F2/F3) or just return to the menu and return to the game.

2. The HUD gauge max is 100 (As for Mines the max is 25), however, some values could reach more than 100 (Like Armor, Ammo, and Health if an Adrenaline is present). It's possible to add a variable for the gauge max so unless some reasons the gauge won't reach over 100%.

3. The mapper know the adrenaline will only work in a single level so almost every level has one or two. (I was planning to make it add only a little but permanent bonus to the player... 30 extra life points could be enough).

As for the alien charge problems:

- Les put two values for it, a real amount and a display amount, and if the display value is lower than the real value it will slowly return to the value... (However, the display value will not change if it is higher than the real value.)
- It is supposed that he want to make player get 100 more charges if the player picks up a new alien weapon... (As there are a lot of alien weapons on level 31-40) However, maybe it's the feature of the game or is his fault he make it to SET the charges to 100, not ADD.* Also, he may left a criteria to check if the player's charge is less than 100, and it will SET the charge amount to 100 even you have more. (Sometimes you'll find you still have more than 600 charges but it shows the charge is used up and switched back to M-343 Minigun.)
- There is still a confusing opinion about this problem... At previous levels (1-30), there are a lot of charge packs for you to load up... (Actually Les is only the game programmer, not the mapper, and the mapper found the problem and added a lot of charge packs, or for other reasons.) But at later levels (31-40), there are few charge packs, but a lot of weapons and some of them are grouped. (Maybe these levels are mapped by someone else who didn't know that weapons will SET the charges to 100 not ADD 100 extra charges, or for the same reason.)

* Maybe he forgot a "+" mark on the source code. As in C programming language, "=" means SET and "+=" means ADD.

Maybe we cannot expect anything else in the next few months... But we're looking forward to that day, even it could never come.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:30 am

To tell the truth...I don't know what you find in Corridor 7 so great...I've played it alot at THOSE times, but I have to admit overall it's quite a crappy game. The only game crappier than Corridor 7 is Operation Bodycount. Donnow if porting it worth the effort.

Blake Stone on the other hand is a good game and I do hope for it to get ported.
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:43 am

That's good news from Les. At least he's keeping an eye out for it.

Personally, I hope that they can all get released and/or ported eventually. That'll give the crappy games a new life and a chance to be improved (hopefully).

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 66

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:29 pm

So what did Les say? I didnt understand, he doesnt have the source, but he may know where it is? That'd be great. Sucks that I had no such luck when I emailed Vance Kozak about the Super Noah 3d source code. Sad

DieHard Officer

Topics: 66

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:31 pm

doomjedi wrote:
To tell the truth...I don't know what you find in Corridor 7 so great...I've played it alot at THOSE times, but I have to admit overall it's quite a crappy game. The only game crappier than Corridor 7 is Operation Bodycount. Donnow if porting it worth the effort.

Blake Stone on the other hand is a good game and I do hope for it to get ported.

I like Corridor 7's office levels. they seem so cool looking for such an old engine, and I like the completely transparent walls, as well as the shape changing aliens. Razz

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:38 am

Well...coding-wise it was quite advanced...interactive walls and such....but it had weird enemies, pretty boring mapping and textures....not to mention the weird weapon bobbing.
vermil
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:58 am

Though Corridor7 isn't Wolf or Blake, I don't really think there is anything hugely bad about it. Sure it had a couple of questionable design choices...whoever decided that enemies should be visible on the auto map... sigh.

I think the main issue with the Disk version of Corridor7 is simply the lack of variety for most of the game. Way too much of the games content was held back until Levels 21-30.

The CD version released a bit later than the Disk version attempted to rectify this a little bit. It changed some of the thing placement and texturing on Levels 1-20 in order to introduce a bit of the content the Disk version holds back until Levels 21-30, much earlier in the game.

When I made a mod of Corridor7 (Corr7TC), for Doomsday (naturally :p), I added a little bit more variety. Though, in hind sight, I feel I should have added quite a bit more.

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=4798

You might notice that I'm talking about Corr7TC in the past tense. It is done except ammo/alien balancing, but I became unsure about whether anybody would want to play a mod of Corridor7 and hence it's just sitting on my HD. I also, right before I stopped working on it, put in a couple of features that require a fully functioning Dday 1.9 Beta, which means I couldn't release even if I thought there was any interest in it :p
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:27 pm

All this talk about Corridor 7 is really making me want to play it again. I'm remembering a lot of positive qualities about the game's "feel" and want to experience that again. Smile

Edit: Did try it out. I'm pretty pleased with it. Haven't gotten past Level 1 yet, as I had to watch a demo before I realized that the weapon you start out with in the beginning of Level 1 has rapid fire! Embarassed
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Yeah, forgetting that makes it a lot harder. Smile
Larry Stein
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

china.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:59 am

I have some plans on the C7 code (if possible) these days... based on what I've done...

Yesterday I've sent another e-mail... Unfortunately, this is what he said:

Les Bird wrote:
Larry,

I've tried to locate the Corridor 7 source but I just can't find it. I'm
always keeping an eye out for it though. If I happen to come across it by
some miracle I'll be sure to contact you.

- Les

We can only put some hope or even dreams on this topic now, at least we know he is looking for it but, the chances are slim...
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:25 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I'm really interested in the code behind the Solrac. What does make it randomly pop up out of nowhere is something I've wondered for a very long time.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: