DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

How would you improve Corridor7?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
vermil
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:23 pm
   Subject: How would you improve Corridor7?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

As the thread title says. How would you improve Corridor7, if at tall?

And yes, I am thinking of my un-awaited Corr7TC for Doomsday when I write this.

I'm sure everybody knows what Corridor7 is, IMO a slightly flawed, but decent Wolf3D engine game.

And I'm not after "remake the whole game" responses. I mean based on what is already there.

I think the main weakness of Corr7 is its lacking variety/repetition.

Now, Corr7 has far more unique types of foes (11disk, 14CD) and weapons (6disk, 9CD) than Wolf3D that are mostly well used. Though I might have added a low level projectile using foe myself.

So what makes the game repetitive...

The objective of having to kill all the aliens on a map to be able to exit is what. This forces a play style of having to
explore every nook and cranny of a map rather than allowing the player to choose. When playing an FPS, sometimes I like to rush to the exit as quickly as possible, other times I like to explore the map thoroughly.

Another weakness is the auto map. It displays every alien on the map be they stationary or alerted with the exception of
stationary Anim Probes and Bandor. This completely spoils any ambushes. I mean what is the point of hiding a Rodex in an
alcove if your told it is there long before you reach it. Even the cloaked Eniram's can be seen on the map.

Though Capstone fixed this one in Operation Body Count where you had to pick up a heat sensor to display enemies on the map.

From a non-game play perspective, with the Disk maps I would have also have perhaps had the ratio of map themes a bit less skewed towards the Delta base theme. It seems a little strange to use one theme for the first two thirds of the game, then use another three in the last third. I wonder what things could have been like if Capstone combined the graphics from all three into one.

Visually, I think everything was pretty nicely done, though the animation for a couple of aliens could have been improved.
But I do think that the visual appearance of the aliens is perhaps a little too random to represent a coherent invasion
force. Saying that, the design doc's for Corr8 do reveal that each foe in Corr7 was actually a different race (did Capstone
perhaps intended to turn Corr7 into some sort of "initiation" into the universal club, in Corr8's plot...).

A lot of Corr7's end game aliens have a slight Demonic (i.e. vaguely Doom like, as with a couple of the games other aspects) or mutated slant to them. The early game aliens on the other are more tech like. Interestingly Corr7 manages to make all these aliens fit together. It's not something you question when playing for lack of better description.

Though don't get me wrong, I think Corr7 is a good game, but I won't deny that it has a couple of poorer design choices.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
   Subject: Re: How would you improve Corridor7?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

From what I've played of it so far, the thing I keep thinking is how much easier everything would be to see if the game was in 640x480 instead of 320x200. If it's ported to SDL, this'd be optional, anyway. Smile

Other than that, I'd say all that's missing is various types of Animated Objects (Sirens on the ceilings, maybe) and floor/ceiling textures.
vermil
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:44 am

So I guess everybody thinks Corridor 7 is absolutely perfect. As I said, I do think it is a good game.

Either that or nobody can remember what it was like :p
Haasboy
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 58
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:57 am

I can't really comment, I've only played the one/two level demo, and I thought it was an OK, game!!!

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 103
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:01 pm

vermil wrote:

Either that or nobody can remember what it was like :p

You are close to my reason for non-posting.
I do remember it, but not well enouph to make suggestions.
I might play it again though to get some.
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 54
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:35 am

The problem with corridor 7 is it really just feels like an excercise in map reading. You pretty much just follow the automap the whole time and don't really look at the game itself. However I think if there were a time limit and the game didn't make you walk down SUPER LONG HALLWAYS WITH ONLY ONE EXIT, then it would be more fun as it is. Think of Hovertank 3d. There's no map but there's a radar at least, and the game is still fun because of the time limit and all hallways are properly connected for quicker times. No one likes to backtrack down empty hallways, especially ones that have 100 doors and are a mile long. I think if you try to connect the areas a bit more and keep the enemy groups varied (instead of just one) and use the morphing enemies a heck of alot more and decrease the time limit, it would be more enjoyable. Also some of the graphics look a bit flat. Not that that would make the game less fun, just nitpicking.

Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Make it more like the demo! The demo was awesome; tons of action, plenty of baddies and cool weapons to blast them with, and strange pieces of interactive environment. So when I heard people saying Corridor 7 wasn't that great, I disagreed. Then I downloaded the actual game and felt an overwhelming feeling of blah. I was expecting to jump right into some action and blast stuff, but what I got were "creepy" corridors and a seemingly endless hunt that I quickly tired of.

Or maybe I'm just impatient.

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:19 pm

Yeah, actually, I agree. The demo was pretty cool. I really liked the atmosphere it gave off in the beginning because it felt like your were outside there for a moment with the fences and stuff.

Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Yeah, I really wish I could run it nowadays without it making those bizarre noises.

...though now that I think about it, I haven't tried it on either of my new machines. Granted, they're both x64, but there's always DOSBox.

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:40 pm

I loved Corridor 7... it was a fun game for its time.

That said, I agree that a number of things could be improved. Personally, I hate time limits with a passion (unless it's like a bomb countdown or something)... but I don't think that the automap should be read the whole time. Either toggle between it and the first-person view like in Doom, or replace it with a compass.

As far as weapons go, there should've been a few more projectile weapons. Some of the alien ones (aside from the plasma cannon) could be modified to fire smaller energy bolts. Maybe you could even throw in a regular rocket launcher.

For enemies, there should be more aliens with special abilities. For example, there could be an alien that can teleport to random places (and I don't mean fading in and out like the Enirams.) Another could be an amoeba-like blob monster which multiplies to form more blob monsters if you don't kill it in time. I think the aliens in Corridor 7 were supposed to be different races who were part of some kind of galactic alliance, which is why they all look different. However, I noticed a few similarities between various types, like the spiked shoulders, the clawed feet, and a dead Mechanoid Warrior looks like a Ttocs (I've always wondered if there was an explanation for that.)

It might also be more interesting to add new interactive objects, like switches that open doors, turn forcefields on and off, etc.
vermil
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:41 am

I agree that Corridor7 is geared more to "creepy" corridor's than action.

Wolf3D's maps excluding boss maps, feature between 25-145 bad guys and takes up, let's say, about half the grid.

Corr7's maps feature between 14-69 bad guys and take up the entire grid. The Corr7 demo map has 72 bad guys.

As for the long corridors and connectivity, I would agree that Corr7 does have you trek down long spoke like areas and then have to back track through it after you've cleared it out quite a bit. All of Corr7's non-secret maps except one, have an "air duct" usually accessed somewhere near the elevator that runs around the edge of the map giving access to the ends of many of these spokes. Of course given that you have to clear the map of aliens, this perhaps isn't as useful as it could have been (i.e. you still have to explore the entire spoke hunting down those Rodex and such anyway). Indeed, as I mentioned in my original post, I feel that Corr7's objective of having to find every alien on a map wasn't the greatest design choice.

Corr7's plot does leave room for a timer of sort's because you are racing to deal with the artifact before the aliens are able to convert the base to a staging post. But then the plot of some of Wolf3D's episodes could facilitate a timer. I will agree that I'm not convinced a timer for a whole game would be that much fun. Maybe for a couple of maps though. Indeed, I did seriously consider a couple of timed maps in my Corr7TC near the end of the game, but I never got around to really testing it. Now you've made me think of it again.

The original maps are also not that well suited to projectile weapons because of the amount of blocking scenery objects placed in the middle of rooms in my opinion.

Now new bad guys. I like the idea of a bad guy that spawns other bad guys if left alone. If not for a new foe, it
could be a pretty cool idea for a variation on Corr7's existing Semaj foe. The Semaj is a pool of sentient liquid/goo only used a few times on the CD maps and the only alien that fights exclusively in melee. It is very slow moving to the point of basically being stationary compared to the other aliens making it basically fodder. It's the one foe in Corr7TC I've actually altered the basic stats of to make it a little more threatening.
wolfwhips
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 66

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:55 pm

What i liked about corridor 7 was its translucent walls, (there wall glass walls you could see through!) and its shape shifting aliens. Wonder how they did that in the game code.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:59 pm

Probably just with statetypes and some interesting spritage. Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:12 pm

wolfwhips wrote:
What i liked about corridor 7 was its translucent walls, (there wall glass walls you could see through!) and its shape shifting aliens. Wonder how they did that in the game code.
If the glass walls you describe are like what I think they are, it's like the 3D Directional Sprites that Ripper introduced us to. As for the morphing aliens, that's already in the source; they must've used the Hitler code as a base.
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:54 pm

I definitely need to give your C7 mod a try, maybe it will be more tolerable than the original. The only thing that bugs me about your DDAY mods is their isn't a classic floor and ceiling colors option. I know its just a parrallaxed gradient, but I really like the nostalgic feel it gives off. Never used to, but now its kinda grown on me.

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:45 pm

Fix the lightning. Also, something must be done about the "tricky" floor and ceiling that just "pretend" shadows and stuff.

El Cernex
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:11 am

Well, I've looked through the art thanks to WDC and I noticed there isn't an actual graphic used for the floor and ceiling, so my guess is its an a simple algorithm in the game that generates the gradient shading. So if you took a look through it with a hex editor, and checked against its hex table for the colors used for the floor, you might be able to find where that is stored. I've done this on several occaisions for games like Catacomb Abyss and Hovertank. You'll need to decompress the game first I imagine. Unlzexe might be able to decompress it. You'd have to ask Adam what he used, or Les Bird what Capstone used to compress it.

DieHard Guard

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:30 am

Well, fortunetely, my TC will have proper shading as is inherit with Doom. Yeah I'm still slowly working on it in my spare time.

Corr7 actually seems to shade the world (i.e textures) and objects differently; the objects begin to fade at a further distance from the player than the world and don't fade smoothly like the world either; if you back away from a scenery object it changes brightness at preset distances rather than smoothly.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:57 pm

Vermil - That's interesting. I'll check that out sometime; there's bound to be some fascinating explanation for such game behavior. Smile
wolfwhips
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 66

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:52 am

So what doom codebase are you using for corridor 7, Vermil?

DieHard Guard

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:33 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I think the first post states that: "Corr7 TC for Doomsday" Wink

That said, I do have a very old thread around here somewhere about the mod which is likely very very out of date. I've actually been slowly working on it for about 2 1/2 years with help on the audio front by a couple of people. That said (again), I believe the TC is very nearly done now.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: