DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Guns and Glory 0.5 - Is Released - And Updated!
Page 4 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 70

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:52 am
   Subject: Re: Guns and Glory 0.5 - Is Released - And Updated!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Finished it, liked it quite a lot! Good job on this mod. Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 105
israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:38 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Very good mod...amazing mod showing us a modder of even greater potential. So creative, so good with texturizing, good in making realisic feeling and scenarios
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 95
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:29 am

Awww, thanks you guys! *blush*

...But I'll be back, you can count on it!
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:54 pm
   Subject: Guns and Glory 0.5 - Is Released!

I'm nearly done with the bug fixes and concerns that have been reported for the next EXE release.

The real news however is that I'm considering adding another difficulty to the game:

"Loser Mode"

In Loser Mode:
- The enemies have severely increased health (i.e. Easy = 100, Normal = 200, Hard = 300, Loser Mode = 600).
- The player's ammo capacity is twice what it is in the other difficulties (to a maximum of 99).
- Pickups and weapons provide twice as much ammo as normally.
- The Pistol and Machinegun weapons are set to Hitscan weapons like the Sniper Rifle.
- The player can hold twice as many Medkits.

The new difficulty will thus me more in-tune with the original Wolfenstein, while still keeping in tune with making the game challenging.

Of course this decision is not final, but this could still be a way for players who can't cut it with the projectile weapons to compete in the contest. Vent your objections and comments here to let me know what you think.

Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:48 pm
   Subject: Re: Guns and Glory 0.5 - Is Released!

Metalor wrote:
The new difficulty will thus me more in-tune with the original Wolfenstein, while still keeping in tune with making the game challenging.

Will "Loser mode" also let you cheat (say, having the MLI cheat and God Mode) like in wolf3d?
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:17 pm

You can cheat on any mode. You just have to know what the cheat codes are. Wink

vermil
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:14 am
   Subject: Re: Guns and Glory 0.5 - Is Released!

Metalor wrote:
- The Pistol and Machinegun weapons are set to Hitscan weapons like the Sniper Rifle.

This sounds strange to me; changing the core behaviour of something as low level as a weapon, based on skill level.
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:48 am

It does sound strange, but I've thought it over and The reason I'd do that is for players that can't seem to cut it with the core gameplay. So they'll get hitscan weapons, twice as much ammo capacity, etc. With the offset of being forced to fight foes that are twice as strong as they are on Hard (health-wise). The new difficulty is basically just a way to make the overall gameplay easier for newcomers, while punishing them with powerful enemies.

But I may just keep the original 3 difficulties. I've actually already added the 4th and it works exactly as I've stated here. So maybe I'll add a toggle to disable/enable it in the code for a future release.

gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 162
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:49 pm

I really like the design and overall game play. Though I must ask, how did you edit the enemies? They don't even bother to run right at you or anything Very Happy

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks. The enemies don't really have anything in their routines that makes them behave differently than in the original, save for the Enemy Blocking objects I used and the different walking routines I used, but those are mostly for their attack methods. I guess they just dodge alot is all.

gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:14 am

Ah, that's interesting! I've just never seen it done before Smile

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Odd, enemies dodge all the time in the original. You probably just didn't notice it because when you're mowing them down with the chaingun, dodging just doesn't seem to add in.

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:43 pm
   Subject: Guns and Glory 0.5 - Is Released!

An updated version of Guns and Glory 0.5: The Story Retold is now up at The Dome.

The EXE makes the following changes:

- The crosshair now functions with all weapons
- The crosshair can now be toggled in the menu rather than by pressing the X key
- Shading can be toggled in the menu
- Enemies light up when attacking, certain projectiles also light up
- The Arrow keys can now be customized, but the WASD keys cannot
- Re-tuned a few of the game's menus
- Fixed several graphics and layout bugs, such as the player starting a level with a disguise
- Some other, minor miscellaneous changes to the game's code, levels, and graphics

The Game can be found here: http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/news.htm

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Well, yesterday was the 1st anniversary of the release of Guns and Glory 0.5: The Story Retold. I wanted to release something for the occasion, but I got caught up with the holidays and schoolwork, so I'll have to put it on hold for a bit. But I can tell you that soon, I'll be releasing detailed walkthroughs of each level one at a time which will include both a 100% completion walkthrough, and a speedrun walkthrough.

The walkthroughs will be posted in a seperate thread. I'm currently in the process of making a format for the walkthroughs that will be easy to understand that will include both an editor's picture of the layout of the level, and a legend for the layout.

Also, when I stop being overwhelmed with my day-to-day pitter-patter, I'll be posting more sprites in the contest thread.

Until then, keep wolfing, and keep checking in.

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:37 pm

With the Walkthrough just about half-completed at this point, I've started working on something for those of you still checking out the game, giving it a go, and just providing mild interest in my project.

As of two days ago, I've begun work on another EXE build for Guns and Glory 0.5, and it has already neared completion (all of the features I've set out to add have been implemented, I just need to test them and whatnot).

I decided to make this build simply because I love customization, and I want people to play my game and enjoy it. With the new features I've implemented, I'm certain the game will garner new attention, and perhaps spike interest in making maps for the community map release set (which still has only 3 completed maps, 2 of which are by me).

Anyways, I don't want to keep players in the dark about what to expect so here's a short summary to explain what the changes I've made are.

*First of all, the changes I've made are not mandatory for playing the game. You're free to play with or without them. What I mean by this is that I've added a new "Game Customization" menu inside the Controls Menu with ten options to allow players to customize certain aspects about the game. They act much in the same way as the Shading and Crosshair toggles work, as implemented in previous builds, however, instead of merely changing or correcting some graphical aspects of the game, these functions change how the game itself plays.

The features include the following:
* Player Projectiles are half-sized. This means that the game now considers the player's projectiles to be half their size, and are thus smaller. This makes it so that the player's projectiles are less likely to hit blocking objects. However, there's a double-edged nature to this, as now the player's projectiles are less likely to hit enemies unless aimed really well. So, less likely to hit objects, but less likely to hit enemies, so it's a compromise. A possible plus side to this feature is that it will prompt players to improve their aim and sharpshooting, making the basic gameplay pathetically east if mastered (or at the very least, easier than with this feature toggled on).

* Enemy projectiles are half-sized. This one acts basically the same way as the above feature, except it makes enemies projectiles smaller. This one can actually be quite useful, as it makes dodging enemy fire much easier (projectiles can actually take up 1/3 of either the left or right of your screen and still not hit you if this is toggled). A fine choice for those that have trouble dodging enemy fire.

* Super Backpacks. This feature allows backpacks to max out the ammo capacities of all of your weapons (to a maximum of 99 ammo for each weapon). Just imagine how with this toggled, you can carry around 99 Stielhandts.

* Always Automap. With this toggled, the Automap will always function, regardless of what difficulty you're playing on.

* Enemies can't pick up health. Remember the good ol' days of Wolfenstein, when enemies couldn't pick up health items? Well, return to those glory days of yore by toggling this, and enemies will no longer be able to restore that hard-delivered battle damage.

* Enemies die in one hit. Now this feature has a tendency to cause some game-destroying havoc (such as when you use it to rely on fighting bosses), but aside from some muck in the secret levels, this feature should enable players to deal with even the hardest difficulty with ease. Toggling this can make the game pathetically easy, but also can rob the game of the actual fun. Use this feature only when you're playing simply to go crazy or whatever.

* Receive an Extra Life for every 40,000 points. Guns and Glory 0.5 is hard. One of the reasons may be that you have to get 100,000 points for a stinkin' extra life. Rectify that by toggling this feature, and you'll never run out of extra lives again.

* Guards give points when killed. This feature makes it so that regular enemies will give points when killed, much like the original Wolfenstein. Makes it easier to get the aforementioned extra lives, in case you don't want a 40k 1-up bonus, but you still want to get some benefit for your trials.

* Survival Mode. More like an extra difficulty level without actually making it one, this feature sets all damage that you receive to 1, but you can't pick up health, armor, or gain any extra lives. Alone, this feature seems pretty insane (much less, impossible to actually beat the game using), but with the next feature (and maybe enemies die in one hit), it won't seem so insane:

* Play like original Wolfenstein. That's right, toggle this to do away with all of the flying projectiles, flippin' 20 health and armor, and no hitscan weapons. Toggling this feature allows all of your bullet weapons to behave the way they did in the original, and also gvies you a huge health and armor boost (capping at 99). Most enemies will also attack like they used to, and aside from certain foes (such as Schabbs, who always used projectile weapons), it should help to simulate the original playing experience.

To get a full original experience, toggling: "Play like original Wolfenstein," "Guards give points when killed," "Receive an extra life for 40,000 points," and "Enemies can't pick up health" should do the trick.

Currently, none of the features are barred from use, so one can essentially make the game pathetically easy and, (dare I say it?) boring. Thus, I'll likely implement ways to make the play have to work to activate certain features (such as the Enemies die in one hit feature, that's a game breaker).

So, comments? Tell me what you think. Should a feature stay, should it go? Or just perfect what I've already implemented thus far and send it in?

Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Metalor wrote:
Tell me what you think. Should a feature stay, should it go? Or just perfect what I've already implemented thus far and send it in?

My thoughts: Instead of beating this game to death, why not just make a new game? I think the name "Guns and Glory" and "0.5" and your username "Metalor" all sound very blah at this point. Someone might be inspired to come back and play this again after checking out something new of yours. Also, your posts are way too long-winded and 'trying to be fancy salesperson' for me, I get this "oh god, not this guy again" feeling when reading. Yes I know you worked hard on this game and want everyone to enjoy the glory of Metalor by any means necessary bla bla bla *throws up my corn flakes into a river*
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Yeah, I know, I have that feeling about myself.

But this is what I was sparked into doing a few days ago, and I've already done the groundwork to make this all possible (it's like 85% finished with what I was going for).

As for doing other projects, I just can't bring myself to work on them, I want to, but I just can't. Real shame too, I really like what I've done so far as the other projects (I just don't have anything really to share about them just yet).

I just want to make and release something so I can at least feel like I'm getting something accomplished (particularly because I'm spending my summer sitting around doing practically nothing).

gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Metalor wrote:
perhaps spike interest in making maps for the community map release set (which still has only 3 completed maps, 2 of which are by me).

Just so you know, I haven't forgotten about making maps for you Smile I've just been busy with life and my own projects lately.

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Yeah, that map set's mostly dead I think. Luckily, the way I've set up the maps that are currently in the set, aside from mindless switch pressing for 30-some levels, they can be played without the rest being finished. So perhaps after your map is done I'll just release the set with the new EXE and I'll let it end at that (aside from the walkthrough I mean, I at least want to finish that).

(Also, in hindsight of Chris' message, this made me think of a particular episode of Ed Edd 'n' Eddy where the very same thing happened, save with scams for money instead of Wolfenstein Mod-making).

Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:58 pm

I've been playing the mod, on the hardest difficulty, and Man, it sure is hard! I'm really enjoying it though and especially like all the different themed levels. I'll be interested in a making a level but not until I've played it through completely.

It's a long haul though, not sure I could find the time to play through it again, even with all those changes. Although, some of them do sound great and would make things much easier (and fairer IMO).

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Well, these changes are more or less for those that haven't played (due to the difficulty), or haven't had an opportunity to experience, well, the full experience. You can't experience everything unless you play on Hard (The last level [24] is the culprit that enforces that).

Technically the game is "fair" but only on Medium. But, that difficulty won't let you visit the last secret level, so I'll be quiet...

Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:13 am

I'm playing it on hard, and it certainly is that! Don't want to miss anything! Wink

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:51 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hmmm, I wonder if there's an award for creating the hardest Wolfenstein Mod ever? Wink

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 4 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to: