DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Guns and Glory 0.5 - Is Released - And Updated!
Page 3 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:31 pm
   Subject: Re: Guns and Glory 0.5 - Is Released - And Updated!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hmm. Looks interesting. Seeing those cartoony sprites bring to mind when I was working on SKUNKZ (now cancelled). Seems like it has potential, granted, I'll have to wait and see how the story of the game turns out, that's usually a pretty big deciding factor for me. Keep up the good work!

DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 95
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:17 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The cartoonish graphics are no longer used in the game. However, I did take liberty with the secret levels, so while the actual game doesn't enjoy those kinds of graphics, the secret levels are another matter entirely...

...But I'll be back, you can count on it!
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Whoops, I guess I missed the part about the cartoon graphics coming out, looks good still.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:57 pm

Majik Monkee wrote:
Whoops, I guess I missed the part about the cartoon graphics coming out, looks good still.

Don't worry....I seem to have missed it too...
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:33 am

Yeah, my bad about that. I figured just going with the original look would have been easier to implement. My interest in drawing the Wolf characters began waning around the time I started the SS. So there are finished Guard and Officer sprites, but I won't be using them. Perhaps I'll release them for public use later.

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:15 pm

Just a quick update:

Music is now 90~100% done.

But that's kinda it for this update. There'll be more updates soon, most likely just more stuff regarding percentages.

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:05 pm
   Subject: Guns and Glory 0.5 progress -Update-

Progress is moving slowly, but steadily. I recently finished adding in a secret surprise, and I have at least 1 more to program in before I can start to wrap things up with the game altogether and begin beta testing.

So percentage wise, the game is about 90% complete overall I'd say.

But seeing as how I still can't post any screenshots because of the way things look at present, I'll just have to titilate you all with a short list of the game's new features:

8 Keys and correspodning Key doors
Shading
Parallaxing Skies
Directional objects and guards
33 levels (9 secret, and 4 boss levels)
Multi-textured ceilings and floors
10 regular enemy types
9 different treasure items
6 different weapons
Most weapons fire or throw projectiles
Almost all enemies and bosses fire projectiles
Balanced health system that ensures enemies are as strong as you and can take as many hits as you take to kill
Enemies can pick up health items (except for certain bosses and undead enemies)
Switch-activated pushwalls
Armor system
Several secret bosses have an "introduction" animation
Several enemies and bosses have more than 1 attack, and may perform them randomly
An automap on the Status Bar that only functions on the Easy difficulty
Enabled Readthis, and Intermission Texts
and much, MUCH more!...

There are a hefty sum of features in this mod, and it will try to emphasize the importance of dodging and returning fire. Every shot will count and enemies can take just as much punishment as you can. There are also many new and unique features in this mod never seen before that I'm not willing to spoil here.

Also, I'd like to officially announce now, that there will be a contest concerning this mod once it's finished. Beta Testers will however will be exempt from participating, but any Beta Testers will still be "rewarded" in the same manner. What that entails, and much, much more will be revealed later.

Until then,
Keep Wolfing! Beer

ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Sounds very good! The one thing that interested me the most was the "introduction" animation for the secret bosses, I wonder how that looks. Mr Green
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Basically it means I just filled up about 100+ pictures in the VSWAP that serve very little purpose beyond what I've already explained. Only a few bosses use that feature, and only one of them has an extensive use of that feature.

Per-Scn
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 7

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Sounds really good. I really like the idea of each enemy being a proper challenge along with the 'fight' for health items. Really intriguing. The automap in the easy setting is a great boon too. Can I ask, is it static like Blake Stone or does it rotate like Planet strike? Just curious.

If you're looking for beta-testers I'd happily help out. Smile
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:07 pm

The Minimap just follows the player around with a 16x16 pixel overhead.

Thanks, but unfortunately as long as I'm still in the process of adding content and adding pre-beta touches, I'm not looking for any beta testers at the moment. However, talk to me when I begin beta testing, I'd be glad to have you on my Beta-Team. Beta Testers will actually be signing up for quite a commitment when they sign up. I'll post the true details when I begin Beta Testing.

Per-Scn
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 7

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:41 am

Cool. I'm a fan of minimaps in mods. It just makes the game more fluid when one gets a little lost...

I'll post when you're looking for testers then. Right now I have a fair bit of spare time and would be happy to commit to something in-depth. I can't map for toffee so testing is the next best thing... Smile
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:24 am
   Subject: Guns and Glory 0.5 progress

My list of things to do before initiating the Beta Testing phase is in the single digits now, so I'm amped.

As such, I've decided to post a few preview screenshots of my Mod as it currently stands. There's not too much to view besides the Status Bar and some missing-texture floors and ceilings, but I'm sure it'll give you a good idea of what to expect.

http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d4cm8ok

http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d4cm8f7

http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d4cm8w0

http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d4cm90v

The screenshots were taken in sort of a rush but they captivate some sort of idea of what to expect.

Also the place where I post my screenshots is acting stupid so I have to provide direct links to the caps instead of simply showing the images here.

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Just a small status update. I've hit a milestone towards finishing some really unnecessary-but-I'm-putting-it-in-anyways bonus content for my mod.

I just finished what is perhaps the single-largest spriteset for an enemy in a Wolfenstein (or Doom for that matter) Mod, ever!

253 frames! That also makes it the largest spritesheet I've ever made with the only other real contender coming in at 238 frames. (Both of which, you lucky gamers, will be in my next Wolfenstein Mod!)

It's gonna be a blast to program that bad-boy in, and I hope that everyone will have a blast fighting 'im!

Also, after that is all settled, I can finish up with the story elements, music, menues and what-have-you that remains to be finished before Beta testing can begin.

If all goes well, I estimate a January release, perhaps a February release if Secondary-Beta testing moves slowly.

But yeah, super-excited! Thank goodness for SDL!

ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:16 am

I'm looking forward to this one, I remember liking the first one so this should be good. Smile
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:20 am

I hope it meets some sort of expectations that people have for it. It'll certainly stand out on its own for the gameplay.

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:01 pm
   Subject: Guns and Glory 0.5 - Beta Testing has Begun!

As a special birthday treat to myself, I have decided to announce to all that Guns and Glory 0.5 has finally reached Beta testing.

Unlike regular beta testing, Guns and Glory will have 2 phases, a Beta and Gamma phase. The first phase will be to test difficulty, find any bugs, fix known bugs, repair level and graphical asthetics and fix any other problems that may arise. The second phase will be for mostly testing graphical appeal in the levels for when ceiling and floor textures are applied to the levels.

Beta testers will be obligated to test in both phases, though the second will only require attention to detail, rather than actual level testing or bug testing (though unless for instance one or two of the levels are completely remade, in which case, those levels will have to be tested like the others).

Anyways, for those interested, PM me with your email address and I'll send you the Beta version. Per your request, I'll forego sending certain files, since I'm using the Advanced Sound Manager by AlumiuN, which requires the addition of seperate folders for sounds and music.

Beta testers may also wish to suggest improvements or modifications if they find levels too difficult or if something does not look in the right place.

But now onto the good stuff:

Besides initiating Beta Testing, I'm also holding a Contest! That's right, players will be able to win prizes for playing the game! (once it's in full-public release).
If contestees are able to meet the requirements of the contest (which is explained in the game's ReadThis file), they will just need to send in an email and proof of meeting the requirements and they will be sent a Map-editing package, where they can add 1 or more levels (up to a maximum of 4, depending upon how many requirements they are able to meet) to a community map pack that will be uploaded alongside other user's maps in a secondary public release including 32 user-made maps and 1 new level made by me. Contest winners will also be allowed usage of a bonus guard-type not used in the base game for free use in their maps.

Of course, players are not obligated to enter, and Beta testers will not be allowed to participate, rather, if they so choose, they can add only a single level to the pack, replacing one of the game's secret levels. The first contestant that is able to complete all 4 requirements will also be granted the opportunity to use a brand-new boss not featured in the base game in one of their levels. All winners (or more accurately, the first 24) will be included in a Hall of fame within the secondary public release (unless they wish to remain anonymous, in which they will be named anonymous within the hall of fame).

Beta testers will not be allowed the use of either the new guard type or the boss, and can only add 1 level. Anyone that wishes to be a Beta tester, but still wishes to compete in the contest may do so after full-release, but they will not be rewarded any of the prizes, except being included in a winner's hall of fame included in the Secondary Public Map-Pack release.

Which level(s) you wish to replace is completely up to you, but it's first-come, first serve. The levels users will be able to replace are levels 1~32 (1~24 if Beta testers make any secret levels).

So Beta testers should apply now as the testing phase has begun. Just send me your email via PM. I will accept anywhere between 6 to 8 Beta testers. I will most likely post some of the in-game tidbits as treats to viewers and those interested in days to come.

I'm so excited about this! It's gonna be fun, folks!

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:30 pm

As promised, here's a few screenshots and sprites to show off some of the game's content:
(sorry, but DeviantArt still sucks and I can't seem to post the actual pictures from there onto here)

The game's Title Screen:
http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4nsqua

The New ReadThis Screen:
http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4nsrfb

The Updated Intermission Screen:
http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4nsryh

And the game's Maain Menu Screen:
http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4nssn7

Also, I have a picture showcasing 9 of the game's 10 regular enemy types, including a brand new enemy type made by me:
http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4nsue6

The game features 10 regular enemies (9 of which are depicted in the link), including 4 of the originals, 1 from the Spear of Destiny Mission Packs (to replace one of the originals), and 5 new ones, 3 of which are taken from other sources and 2 of which (1 is not depicted in the above image) are completely new.

I hope you all like what you see, and to re-iterate, Beta Testing has officially begun and I'm currently looking for Beta testers.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, and if You'd like to apply for Beta Testing, please PM me or send me an Email at this address: harkodos@gmail.com

I'm eagerly awaiting your assistance and feedback!

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:40 pm

So, it seems that nobody's really as excited as I thought they would be when I announced that Guns and Glory 0.5 had gone Beta.

Would anyone like to shed some light on this for me?

Personally I have a few theories (too busy, life happens, etc.) And maybe it's partly my fault (but Beta testers shouldn't ideally be able to compete in the contest, seeing how they'd have an unfair advantage, since they'd know, through their extended playtesting, how to meet each of the contests requirements).

But I thought at least one person would have signed up for Beta Testing by now.

Well, I'll leave the offer to Beta test open for now, but if no Beta testers apply by say, next Friday, then I guess I'll lower it to just 2 Beta testers and let each of them have 4 levels to mess with off the bat (all secret I'm afraid, and still no usage of the bonus enemy or boss). I gotta have someone help test my project, right?

Well, I guess I'll just leave it at that, and change my plans for a Beta team if no one applies by next Friday.

doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm just not good a beta tester....really. I can give you good feedback artwise, but other than that... I can also try to give feedbacks on mapping...but the hardest thing for me is to betatest difficulty/balance of a game, as I usually prefer fast run&shoot on lower skill levels over "tactic" gaming on higher skill levels where you really squeeze the most out of your health and ammo and need to be more careful on those things...
(This is SDL mod, yes?...almost redundant question nowdays Smile )

From what I can see from the screens - this looks very impressive.... Nice mix of classic look and more advanced look (sky).
Themes and art fit together color-wise and style-wise, really careful and tastful art selection. Fences are nice and are used well.

Really like the HUD...very detailed. Though I still try to figure out how "armor" fits WWII-themed mod. Helmet deformation level? Smile Smile Smile
The font is nice too and original...and very readable.

Like the fog...really moody.
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Well, hopefully the way I've set up the game with the progression of levels, the player can get accustomed to the style of gameplay and learn to get good at speedruns as well. I've personally ran through each level, and speedruns are definitely possible. Of course, there's no harm in playing on the easy difficulties first to find out what is where before taking on the harder difficulties.

Yep, it's for SDL. There's no way I could stuff all the content I did with the original code. (I've used up all 512 map definitions in ChaosEdit)
You should see the Credits in the ReadThis. It's quite extensive (at least 10 pages worth of credits).

The body armor isn't necessarily too Real-world specific, but it makes the game much easier when it's introduced. Suddenly enemies that made life miserable, are now bearable.

I tried to maintain a certain level of quality throughout and hopefully I've succeeded. Thanks for your feedback doomjedi, I really appreciate it.

Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:53 pm

You can send it to me, as long as you aren't in any immediate super hurry I can help out. Smile

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 pm

I just want Beta Testers to give me updates and stuff. Until I've gotten full feedback on the entire project, I'll be going bored out of my mind.

I generally like to work on a single project at a time (though I might be up for contributing a few maps, but until I sign up for doing that, that probably won't happen) so this is all I have to do with my project right now.

But after Beta Testing, I can resume my work.

Thanks for offering, I'll send you the files when I get the chance, I just need an email address and we can get started.

Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks, I have the files and will from here on out add feedback and suggestions in the exclusive thread at the 'other' forum.

Looks amazing so far, from what I've seen!

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:13 pm

That's good to hear.

Thanks, I try my best. Though I can't take all the credit, alot of that stuff wouldn't be possible without the fine folks here at DHW.

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:49 pm

Well, aside from testing and fixing a few bugs, the game is for, the most part, complete.

As of today, all of the game's ceilings and floors have been added, so I can safely say that Beta Testing has moved into it's second phase (though the first phase has not technically been satisfied, that can be overlooked for the moment)

So, for those who may have been considering acting as Beta Testers before, but were decided otherwise due to time constraints or because the maps did not look as they eventually would, put your worries to rest, because now the levels look as I hope they will look in the public release.

Below are several links to 4 screenshots taken from the first level to showcase the new enhancements:

http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/#/d4r4vt3

http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/#/d4r4vzm

http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/#/d4r4w59

http://tiny-brain.deviantart.com/#/d4r4wbe

But the project does still require a bit of Beta Testing before it can be released, so if anyone would like to help Beta Test, please send me a PM, and I'll get to you as soon as I can.

There are currently only 2 Beta Testers enlisted so far, and I'd be willing to enlist another 4~6. Your help would be much appreciated!

And finally, with current and possible future Beta Testing in mind, I estimate a late March or early April release.

Nembo
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 5

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:26 pm

The forest looks great. Simple gorgeous!
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks! I tried to make it look really nice. The forest parts are short, but what's there looks good (in my own opinion).

ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:01 am

That looks quite great indeed! Smile
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:52 am
   Subject: Guns and Glory 0.5 - Is Released!
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've sent Brian the goods and Guns and Glory: The Story Retold is up on the Dome awaiting your download.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 3 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: