DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Step One (by Harry Mass Senior)
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:13 pm
   Subject: Step One (by Harry Mass Senior)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hey, not sure what the current policy for discussing current mods is (or even if anyone bothers doing it anymore) but I thought I'd post my thoughts on this little beauty Very Happy

In short, I think it's fantastic. Harry here has done everything 'wrong' as per conventional, BJ Rowan-style wisdom: walls with 'misused' decorations (IE wooden walls in the middle of stone ones and so on), strangely converted graphics with lots of pixel noise, keys behind obscure secret walls, an absurd level of difficulty etc. But in spite of this it's just so well done! The design of the levels is incredibly imaginative, the different scenes are strangely surreal in places but also incredibly fascinating, the flow of the levels is exciting, fast-paced and interesting, and the whole mod is just a real blast to explore. Great stuff here, the best I've played in a while.

For me this just goes to show that adhering to the standard ideas of what makes a 'good mod' is not always necessarily the way to go. Sometimes if you just follow your own crazy path the results are more than worthwhile Smile

Post away if you have any thoughts at all.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:28 pm
   Subject: Re: Step One (by Harry Mass Senior)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Actually, I think your post pretty much says it all. Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:26 am

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Thomas wrote:
It's great to see Harry Sr. still going strong. Though I never got into his games that much I did play a few and must admit I find them very similar to the late great John Bucksnort. That being said, it can be nothing but a compliment. Amazing stuff.

Yep, I've definitely noticed that too - a lot of the graphical style and level design philosophy is really very similar. I'm guessing that wasn't a coincidence? Those old-school days were really before my time in this community, as I believe I joined after John passed on. The first I heard of him was the Mutant Maker tribute, which was of course a fantastic mod in its own right... but it got me to check out the older work. Actually it's interesting that you say you never got into these games that much, because the same was true of me as well back in 2004 (or whatever it was) - I think they were just too difficult for me at the time. In those days I liked pottering slowly around the levels looking at everything rather than blasting down hordes of mutants! But I definitely intend to go back and check out the old school stuff now, in light of how much I enjoyed "Step One".

Tricob wrote:
Actually, I think your post pretty much says it all. Smile

Heh. Well I am a GIANT AMONG MEN, STRIDING THE VERY EARTH LIKE A COLOSSUS! or something Wink

DieHard SS

Topics: 17

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:48 am

Well said Hair! Harry's mods are distinctive, thoughtful and - importantly for experienced Wolfers - challenging to play (but not ridiculously so). He has a real knack for taking quite primitive graphics and making them into an atmospheric whole.

Hair Machine wrote:
But I definitely intend to go back and check out the old school stuff now, in light of how much I enjoyed "Step One".

If that's the case, I highly recommend Berlin Express (May 2002 Dome Award). Features mutant train conductors - when they say "Tickets please" you'd better believe they mean it Smile
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:33 pm

mbender wrote:
If that's the case, I highly recommend Berlin Express (May 2002 Dome Award). Features mutant train conductors - when they say "Tickets please" you'd better believe they mean it Smile

Haha. They should implement such a policy on the British rail service, it would probably cut down on the fair dodgers quite significantly. Still, as mutants attack on sight it would probably just eliminate commuters in general... but then this would solve the problem of overcrowding on the Underground quite nicely, and with no passengers all the trains would run perfectly on time (barring the usual "this train is delayed due to a mote of dust on the line" and so on). It's a win-win situation! We have too many civil servants anyway Very Happy

Thanks for the recommendation, Berlin Express was the one mod of Harry's I could actually recall playing before (and being thoroughly confused by). I'll get on that over the weekend!

Topics: 1

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:03 am

Thankyou wolfers for your very kind words,,,,TOM and i were very close friends,lord knows i really miss that Mutant maker....he would take his laptop on fishing trips and knock out levels while in the boat. he was a cazy indian,loveable
and his wife indian as well could put together one heck of a level as well.lol putting odd walls in a level did just what
it was intended for draw your attention,,,,hehe and ya got nailed....berlin Express was quite a go for me at the time
it was a 3 month non stop efford.a lot of graphics had to be done, as well as a learning curve which at the time was very low,hit and miss,,, redo's many a day 14 hours aday.like i said my tech knowlage was low and still is todays
compared to others. simple basics playing Wolf, once in if you have a clean room all killed,buzz walls check all,
look for a spot to get the best advantage,,back to wall,open door and get to your spot,,,pick off enme as they enter,
then its picking off the deaf guards.a quick in and out the door way to make him fire...then nail him...never walk into a room to look around,,,,fastest way to die....fire a shot first..making sure you have a corner to duck into.. john and i
learned together, i found faults in his floor layouts and same for me..he had no idea about floor codes,where to put
them in so they would be most effective,,he taught me on how to swap sounds and make my own.. miss him
we started in the mid 90's and had a blast,,e-mails by the ton. well thats kind skimming the surface,would take me
months to tell all...it is a time in my life i will cherish....thats it wolfers DO OR DIE !! HSR Twisted Evil 2
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:13 am

Hair Machine wrote:
Haha. They should implement such a policy on the British rail service, it would probably cut down on the fair dodgers quite significantly. Still, as mutants attack on sight it would probably just eliminate commuters in general... but then this would solve the problem of overcrowding on the Underground quite nicely, and with no passengers all the trains would run perfectly on time (barring the usual "this train is delayed due to a mote of dust on the line" and so on). It's a win-win situation! We have too many civil servants anyway Very Happy

Yep, what you describe there would sound very familiar to train travellers in Melbourne, Victoria. Many ideas for "modernising" what used to be a perfectly good train service were imported directly from the UK, in most cases for the worst. Here they've just spent millions of dollars on a "hi-tech" ticketing system which is about 4 years late and doesn't even work properly Rolling Eyes Would have been much cheaper (and better customer service) if they'd stuck with real people selling tickets!
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:15 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Harry sr wrote:
Thankyou wolfers for your very kind words,,,,TOM and i were very close friends,lord knows i really miss that Mutant maker....he would take his laptop on fishing trips and knock out levels while in the boat. he was a cazy indian,loveable
and his wife indian as well could put together one heck of a level as well.lol putting odd walls in a level did just what
it was intended for draw your attention,,,,hehe and ya got nailed....berlin Express was quite a go for me at the time
it was a 3 month non stop efford.a lot of graphics had to be done, as well as a learning curve which at the time was very low,hit and miss,,, redo's many a day 14 hours aday.like i said my tech knowlage was low and still is todays
compared to others. simple basics playing Wolf, once in if you have a clean room all killed,buzz walls check all,
look for a spot to get the best advantage,,back to wall,open door and get to your spot,,,pick off enme as they enter,
then its picking off the deaf guards.a quick in and out the door way to make him fire...then nail him...never walk into a room to look around,,,,fastest way to die....fire a shot first..making sure you have a corner to duck into.. john and i
learned together, i found faults in his floor layouts and same for me..he had no idea about floor codes,where to put
them in so they would be most effective,,he taught me on how to swap sounds and make my own.. miss him
we started in the mid 90's and had a blast,,e-mails by the ton. well thats kind skimming the surface,would take me
months to tell all...it is a time in my life i will cherish....thats it wolfers DO OR DIE !! HSR Twisted Evil 2

It's an honour to hear from you Harry! Some good tips there for surviving your (and the Mutant Maker's) mods.

Really enjoyed playing Steps One and Two.....looking forward to the next release Cool
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: