DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill")
Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> DieHard Archives View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:20 am
   Subject: Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill")
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

That SA dude is from Projekt Vertilgung right? I always liked that guy, I thought his hat was cool. Mr Green

In other news, I am loving all these colours. Pretty!

Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:40 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Yup, much thanks to Zach Higgins for borrowing this fellow. I've always wanted to make an all-SA mod in the alternate history genre, in which SA was reinforced as a national force rather than the SS. Sadly I don't know enough WW2 basics or history enough to even know if there were other guards in the SA than just the "brownshirts". The boss could be Ernest Röhm (Who was also a closeted homosexual to his death as with other SA's) - there is so much action there to make a mod of.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:09 pm

I've never been the big graphics-man, but I whipped this up a short time ago and I think it turned out all right:

Along with some other crazy stuff this Schabby torch will decorate the last bonus map (Map "666") which also stars a lot of different Hitlers. Consider this a tease. Laughing I've also fixed most original sprites - the guard has gotten new boots, the dog has no shade ('cause no other guards have) and the mutant will be green rather than green/grey. But I'm trying to stick as much to the original as possible. Although... I've replaced most of the sounds from the original game since they are just sub-standard overall.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:27 pm

Thomas wrote:
I've never been the big graphics-man, but I whipped this up a short time ago and I think it turned out all right:

Yeah, I like this one myself. Its movement is actually a little more realistic - in some ways - than the candle I did in WolfDX; more interesting to watch, too. Thumbs Up
Quote:
... I've replaced most of the sounds from the original game since they are just sub-standard overall.
OMG, yes ... the "Mein Leiben" sound is the one I hate the most; I swear I've tried doing my own recording of the sound at least 10 times. At best, it sounds fine in Goldwave, but sounds all wrong in the game. I suppose I'll get it right eventually, though. Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:25 am

Current progress is that we've got 95 maps done and most everything is in place. However, coding for the 5 wacky bonus map is still in progress. Lately I've been messing with recolouring and I've created 4 full-frame enemies. Here is one of them:

Some might say he doesn't look like a Nazi, but this is based on the original Wolf which had next to no actual Nazi garments, so it's cool! Laughing Also, I foresee this mod being released in either February or March. I can imagine that 100 maps take a while to test thoroughly. But I do need some beta testers if anybody is interested.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:36 am

He looks like a Russian Smile But he is neat Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:50 am

Yeah, well... I'm dumping this idea. Originally I'd wanted to replace a lot of the guards now but decided not to do it. After having messed with various guards I think I want to recolour decently. Actually I had messed up the clothesline with all four guards, where the pants-colour didn't stop until the belt and gunstrap. I fixed this one though. But I'm going to release this along with some other guards in a graphics pack since I won't be using them.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:35 pm

I'm always open for beta testing. Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:01 am

Well, it's an awesome task. You need to test 100 (One hundred!) maps thoroughly through, find all secrets, etc. I need someone REALLY dependant, and I know you've got a lot of projects down.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:48 am

I've also got so much free time between here and late February that it's amazing. Very Happy
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:09 am

Oh yeah? Well... Then we might be talking. Coding is at a halt now since I haven't heard from Havoc. I guess he's busy at school. But I expect the coding to be done during January at least; so testing should be smooth if you're still available 'til late February. Time will see! Beer
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 pm
   Subject: "Wolf Overkill" - an SDL mod - EFFECTIVE UPDATE

EDITED - Removed faux information and phased-out screenshots.

Last edited by Thomas on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:45 pm
   Subject: Re: "Wolf Overkill" - an SDL mod - EFFECTIVE UPDAT

Thomas wrote:
...a level with BJ on drugs featuring an MP3-file as the music...

For some reason, I instantly thought about Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Razz
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Well, you thought right! I'll be using Elton John's six-minute version. Since I first heard it five years ago, its musicality and idea of how the lyric should be sung has inspired me to numerous Wolfenstein maps. For some reason I always linked it with Wolfenstein 3D, because of the WW2/Beatles-music documentary "All This and World War II" in which it appeared. It should also be mentioned that LSD was invented in World War II-era Switzerland, and some soldiers were doped with a medicine much like it to ease off the pain that comes with war, which most of the time is wrong in many sorts of ways. I've always Elton's version over the original version. To me, it just doesn't catch hold these days.

The drug map should also feature various sprites turning into other sprites and the ceiling colour should change. It can be done in some way, but I don't know how Havoc's going to handle it. Out of the blue I'd say he can do pretty much everything he wants to, but this sounds very much like a Chris Chokan'ish feature. This being SDL, things shouldn't look that bleak.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:56 pm

I should look that version up then. I really like the original, so I'm curious to see what Elton John did with it. Smile

Funny thing is, I have discussed the possibility of doing an LSD level with Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as the song for the level before. It wasn't my idea though, if I remember correctly it was Kris' (Lozer_42) idea. I had even sent him a parallax golden sky that I had found somewhere, which I found fitting for such a level. Looking forward to see how your level will turn out! Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:19 am

Me too! Laughing I think that the "BJ on drugs"-concept has been going on for a while but I can't come to think of a mod that actually uses it.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:25 am

Thomas wrote:

haha I always thought this guard looked like a big pile of gray mush, so I like how he's sitting in a pile of bone soup. His shirt and pants need some darker shading around the edges to look more realistic... or something. I'm surprised that no one has ever fixed him, and that people use him at all. I suppose he makes a funny "joke" guard to blow up or something. I would love it if when you shot him, there would be a gigantic explosion of blood gushing out of him... like, a completely insane amount that fills up the entire screen, and maybe some funny arcade words like "I'm deaddddd!" scrolling in 20 flashing rainbow letters or something to match with his puffy fur marshmallow clothes. He looks ridiculous. Reminds me of the tale of the ugly duckling. Laughing
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:43 am

I don't know. I'm a big fan of "The Final Solution", from which this guard sprite origined, and I've always wanted to create an atmosphere like that. But looking at it in another manor, his uniform does look a little out of place. But I'll keep him in there for old time's sake. Laughing Maybe they should have rainbow letters when they die - at least in the drug level that I've planned. That could be interesting.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:53 am

This project is going through a big change now. Originally, I had wanted this to be much modified, but then NovoWolf came up again and I wanted this project to be very much like the original with a big hark back to the MAC version, though I've never tried or owned a MAC before in my life. But I've done that original scheme so many times now, and since the EXE has amazing features, why waste it on the scape of the same old scene? So - I'll be modifying almost every old wall patch, sprites, etc... And the sounds need polishing as well. They're really, really scratchy, and I think it's because it's gone through so much import from various editors, originally coming from a cleaner DOOM2-modification sound editor. Maybe I'll be replacing those too, since the current ones are really like MAC. I have done that too. Laughing Man, I've just been repeating myself for so long.

As much as I love and dig original Wolf and mapping, I think this project deserves more than that. I've thought of some funny features, and Havoc has successfully added most of them by now. There's still going to be 100 maps, though. And that was also why I thought this should be modified a lot more. I mean, who'd want to go through 80-85 maps of repetition without some fun in 'em? I mean really.

When I made most of these maps, I just did it for fun. Some, however, got in a state of obsession, almost. I made five maps in a day at one point, not because I had tons of ideas and enjoyed making it, but because I liked the idea of having five maps done in one day. I also went through a lot of albums in my CD collection there while I did them, so that I did enjoy. Laughing

So this won't be out till sometime later in the year - on the other side of July or even more. Since December when I "topped" off this project, the only Wolf-work I've been making would be nine maps planned as an even larger game, "Wolf Overdrive" with 120 maps; most of these maps were done after trying Schabbs 2000 after a long while, and carry a big impression of Gary Ragland's work. But I've been ripping that guy off for five years now. Still love the mods though, no doubt. Best ever.

But these nine maps are superb, and outshine at least 20 maps from Overkill. I'm planning to make them fit in, since the nine maps are very original with the only new addition being a key and the walls from Spear.

Enough with me rambling on. I'd just like you guys to know that this project is certainly not dead, it's just going through a rough patch of maintenance. Smile AND, BEFORE I FORGET... BETA TESTERS STILL WANTED. Dean, who's one of the most thorough testers ever, would be my first choice, but back when I asked him he said he considered leaving the community. Well, I don't think so! Laughing He's still around. But just in case, I'd make all of this jazz public for somebody who might also be interested. Keep in mind that this is not done yet, and testing won't be until at least July or August - maybe even further. I'll also be testing myself, 'cause I know where all the silly gags that nobody notice (Except me and occasionally Chris) should be placed and how they should work. Hopefully, this will be my most perfect release.

In the Possum-days, nothing was thought through and it just had to go out there with the usual "i are so gald to see ulikit. (Enter twenty green smilies)"... Since Nazi Operation though, I've wanted my mods to be completely polished as much as possible, but it's always been 99%. Hopefully this one will reach the 200 % I've always aimed for. Laughing
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:53 pm

I've got some time to test now Thomas. Send anything you have over when it's done and I'll get started. Smile

You can grab me on MSN as usual like we always used to when I was testing your other mods. I'm off work for a while after an operation so I'm not on it as much as I used to be but you can always email me as well.

100 maps is going to take me a while to do 100% properly though, just be prepared that I'm not going to be able to them all in a week or anything.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:06 am

Thanks Dean, this is really big of you. However, the maps need to be retouched before any beta testing will take place, and I'm not sure when they will be ready. Don't know if I can count on you anyway though - but you can take your sweet time as long as you like. This isn't scheduled to be out on a certain date, and I wouldn't mind if this depended on you having time to give it a go as well. I'll also be testing and Havoc has also played around with the game a little, so it's all good.

Oh, and this goes to all: Don't judge this game from the old screenshots. Soon they will all be obsolete. Laughing
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Thats fine Thomas, I'll be able to help out whenever your maps are ready for testing if you still need me to. Smile

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:38 am

I've been a little nostalgic about my time in the Wolf community and everything these last couple of days, and after playing some mods I haven't played for a very, very long time, I thought I'd update my own for a change.

I don't know what I may have written about this one in the past. Well, the past is only a couple of months and almost a year, I suppose. But things are radically different now.

At the bulk of Christmas last year, I entered one of those downer phases that most people go through, on and off. It drew me close to my previous experiences in the modding business, where I rush a mod out without checking it decently through, it may contain some decent maps, but graphically and in spirit I couldn't care less about the damn thing. I'd just about had it with that, so I took a little break to do some retouching with this project.

... And eventually, it did not backfire, unlike my previous experiences. I'd made 96 full maps over the course of four or five months. None of them exist today - they are all discarded and long lost in the cyber-realm of the trash bin. They were simply substandard, and so unlike what I had in mind. Since "Nazi Operation", I approached a new style of mapping that progressed and progressed. However, almost four years after that boost, I'd run dry of new designs and approaches to the maps themselves - the guard placement, the whole scenery. As much as I like to bash my earliest efforts, I can't help but think that I hadn't had so much fun making maps before or after that. The final turnouts were hideous, but I can't find such idealism and interest anymore.

That's why the new set of maps will be different. At least, that's what I'm thinking. It's hard to convince everyone, 'cause I think this is a personal matter. Laughing On top of that, it seems like the Wolf community has been in a dry spell for quite a while, but this SDL-thing seems to make up for the whole post-End of Destiny period in which people left and came, and a lot of great mods were released and quickly forgotten. Personally I don't think this was because of the quality of the game, rather the number of people in the community started to decline.

But this is me. I remember the heyday as being from around 2003 till during 2005-06. I could be wrong. Hell, "Schabbs 2000" is my favourite and it came out as early as 1998! Amazing that somebody still hang around here, after all. And people still join in. Thumbs Up

Long story short, this project is healthy and alive, 61 new maps done since the 9th of May. I just got fed up and started anew. The lastest map was finished two days ago or something like that. So this is as idle as can be. The coding changes have varied. I don't know what to put down now, 'cause I've put some good surprises in here as well. Havoc is as fast and brilliant a coder as usual, and a lot of features have been implemented already; BJ on drugs, a motorbike with a running engine and brakes, complete with sound. The "drug"-feature even adds a song played in .OGG-format - very clean.

I'll do my best to make this mod work out at its very best. I know a lot of people won't download, make this a big hype, but that's not what I expect either. The days of surprises are over. Pretty much everything is possible now, and it's hard to top a milestone. That being said, I'm not building this with that intention; I'm doing this as a personal thing, to finally have built and successfully released a mod which I, one hundred percent, approve of and see pride in. Smile

As for release date, it will be in 2011 - and I can't say that's for sure, but it's what the odds are pointing at. Personally, I'm about to move out, start a new job and education. Havoc is also busy with his things, and the coding, bugs, etc. is very demanding, and I appreciate his time and honesty. And, on top of that, there are one hundred maps that needs to be tested full through. I'll let this flow like a fertile river, and see whatever it will bring.

I could be big-headed and say that this will be my last game. But I'm probably wrong. Wolf and Wolf editing is part of my childhood and youth - something I could always fall back on. And I was never a gamer, or that much a geek for that matter. I don't know what it is walking 'round these squares and shooting these badly imitated Nazis. But it's caught me. Beer
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:17 pm

I can relate to that, Thomas. Too Cool I'm at the point now where I no longer "predict" that something will be my last so-and-so, as something always comes out of the blue later on. Smile
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks for the update Thomas. As long as you need a tester and I'm still around I'd be more than happy to test your mod, whenever that may be. As probably your biggest fan and the person thats played more levels of yours than anyone else (even some unreleased ones) i know that waiting as long as it takes will only produce an even better level of work from you.

In these extremely quiet Wolf times it's fantastic to hear that people are still working on mods, I wish there was more of that and more visitors here every day, but the older Wolf gets the less people seem to want to play and mess around with it.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:35 am
   Subject: Re: "Wolf Overkill" - an SDL mod - EFFECTIVE UPDAT

It's good to hear you're still working on this. Smile

Thomas wrote:
Wolf and Wolf editing is part of my childhood and youth - something I could always fall back on. And I was never a gamer, or that much a geek for that matter. I don't know what it is walking 'round these squares and shooting these badly imitated Nazis. But it's caught me. Beer

Same here. Mr Green
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Yeah, it's good to see you here too, Ron. We should make a map set at one point. That could be real ace. Beer

I just had a go at the old Wolf Shareware in SDL today. I still recalled all of the pushwalls though it's been many, many years since I played it. It also spurred some more imagination and ideas for my future of Wolf. I'm going to make this one a grandioso mod with textured floors, ceilings and tons of new objects, features and MIDI support - things like that. Yeah, I know MIDI-support isn't cool... But it's still worth a mention. Laughing And when that's done, I'll stick to the plainest of mapping. I've never released anything without an EXE or a tinkered-with VSWAP, so it could be a fun challenge. It's just all the purple dots on the guards and the black spots on the purple stone and the grey dot on the dark-shaded sandstone wall that bugs the hell out of me. Sometimes. (Rant off) Not to mention the stupid shade on the green potted plant.

I'm still thinking that most people probably would think "Oh no, it's [Censored] Thomas and his thousand map carny again with those stupid old sprites"... Laughing But trust me, yes, there are many maps, but I've tried to make them as fun as can be. Thus far, I've done about 160 maps for this project and only 63 are in use as of now. It's 100% SDL, the guards are as in DooM (the bosses knock out the guards sometimes, it's hilarious) there are exploding barrels (wow!) and... If you touch the stove you'll burn yourself. Neutral Yeah, well... There's a chainsaw and a hell map with Hitler's head following you around. It's pretty fun. Well, at least it's good when you're passing time (and gas). Indeed, it's a pretty heavy set, but I'm having fun and I've always aimed for the "Mapping Master"-rank and the feeling of having released a solid bunch of quality work. I can't think of a game in which I hadn't one foul map. "Nazi Operation" had a lot of patches, some guest maps (I enjoyed them though), ATAW was great, but looking back, my mapping could've been better in places, "Castle Assault" was patched AGAIN from various map sets and something I thought was cool. "The Bitter End" was also patched from something... But it had some fun maps. "W.O.L.F." was pretty ace - but repetitive at times. "Endlösung" was pretty neat though, but it got away from me. I look on the maps now, and I don't recall making them. Silly. "NovoWolf" was a load of fun, but... No, maybe that one's pretty all right.

I know I made a few bummers; "Abandon", "Operation Achtliebe", "Project Wolfgeist", "Abandon 2: Purgatory!", "Abandon v 0.000001 beta demo alpha", "Secrets of Offenbach", some spin-off maps here and there, "Quest for the General" which I don't know how the hell came up... "Wolfram", "SD", "Tod", "Operation Hellhound", "Gefährlicher Projekt" (How's that for a laugh), "Kill the Gezis" (which were only drawings with the additional dot), "Schabbs 7000", "Giftkrieg", "Hard Cell"...

Who cares - Laughing - I'm enjoying making these maps, and I'll try to scene 'em up. For example, now, I'm making a map in which the SS and the SA battle for control over the bunker rooms. The SA didn't approve of the SS decour, saying it was "declassé" resulting in a huge riot. Mmmmyes. Very Happy

Stay tuned! You might get lucky to get a screenshot soon! Thumbs Up
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:21 pm

*** Moved all posts in relation to the DHW SDL Mapset discussion to it's own thread ***

Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:06 pm
   Subject: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill")

All right, I think it's time for an update on this mod. I have no new screenshots, 'cause it's still at an Alpha-esque stage. Nothing I could show you would look the same in the version you will play. So it's only fair.

At the current stage, 87 maps out of 100 are done. One's in progress as of right now, I still have the final map to go and all ten bonus maps. I'm looking forward to make these maps, since these are the ones I've felt most secure of, conceptually speaking, since this project's beginnings back in mid-Summer '09.

"Overkill" was always a placeholder title. The title "Wolfenstein: The Last Howl" was always the to-be title of a map set of sorts I had in mind to be released on Wolfenstein's 20th anniversary in May 2012. I wanted to use it now, since the story (and this is new, folks) is an adaption of Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny mixed together.

New sounds are also included - for all the guards. All the voices are a cameo from a famous wolfer we all know and love. I've also assembled 100 MIDI's for the levels. MIDI-support, folks!

So 184 maps and eighteen months later, I'll say what I've always said: It's all about my own taste and personal integration with assembling a mod.

ANYWAY... Stay tuned. This mother is still alive and kicking. But I promise you, after this one, I don't know what I'm going to do. All I know is I'm probably going to strip things down again or maybe do something in Spear. Perhaps I ought to give that one a try for real. Laughing
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:16 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Or another suggestion: perhaps something with advanced coding, because as far as I know you have never done that before (not even with floor/ceiling textures right?). So that could be interesting. Mr Green Funnily enough I have also thought about putting Wolf3d and SoD together, though I would SoD as a sort of secret seventh episode or something. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this one! Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Time synchronized with the forum server time
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> DieHard Archives View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: