DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolf3d/Sod Mac to PC level converter?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Slacker

Topics: 2

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:11 pm
   Subject: Wolf3d/Sod Mac to PC level converter?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

H... Smile

Is there such thing?

Or can someone here provide me the specs of how the level data is stored in the mac versions so I could build an application to convert the levels from mac to pc.

[EDIT]I seted up the Basilisk II Mac Emulator and I know how to use ResEdit. <-- Forget this part...

What I'm wanting is an way to extract only the level data of the Mac version and I will save that thing in a separated file and after that I would build a delphi/c++ builder application to make the level converter.

[EDIT]I just need the hex offsets and how the level maps are stored in the Mac Levels. Well.. I know there are some differences between the Mac and PC versions... as explained here

Thanks in advance! Thumbs Up
Slacker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:42 pm
   Subject: Re: Wolf3d/Sod Mac to PC level converter?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hey people.. come on... nobody knows the specs (hex offsets) of Mac levels?
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:02 pm
   Subject: Wolf3d/Sod Mac to PC level converter?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Slacker,

The answer to your question is most likely: no.

That said, if you are talented enough to create a converter program, set up the Mac emulator, and use ResEdit, it seems to me that you have a better chance than most of us (PC) DieHard Wolfers to figure out how to get these offsets you're seeking.

You might have a better chance contacting a Mac Wolfenstein guy (though their scene has been dead for about 8 years). Laz Rojas can still be contacted - check out his WolfenDOOM website for contact info.

However, if all you really want is the level data in PC format (for Second Encounter), it's already been done (manually) in Mac-enstein Second Encounter, available at the Dome.

EDIT: It has occurred to me that some elements in the Mac version won't translate to the PC version, even if you could convert the levels: flamethrower and its gas can ammo, rocket launcher and the box of rockets, and the backpack, just to name a few things. Your PC EXE would need to be enhanced to use these converted levels, or you would have to somehow change the levels to drop "non-PC" elements during the conversion.

Hope this helps,
Andy
Slacker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:49 pm
   Subject: Re: Wolf3d/Sod Mac to PC level converter?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

We don't need to convert the flamethrower and the other items as they are just extra-weapons... I can manage this part changing them to pistols, machine guns... Or who knows, like you said... make the necessary changes in a regular WOLF3D.EXE file to enable them...

Yeah... I know about the WolfenDoom project... and I played all the DOOM levels of that guy.

That is because I downloaded these mac levels of http://archive.info-mac.org/game/com/wolf/ and it really sucks playing them over Basilisk II... well... I'm not saying I don't have a very fast machine as I have a P4 but playing a game using an emulator is a little annoying.

I have the level specifications of the PC version and what I would like to know is:

Besides some bytes changings as we don't have those extra-weapons the file header and how the levels are stored in Mac version are the same ones (the offsets) as in the PC?

Including the values of the bytes are the same ones.... for example: A value of 0x60 could be a grayed stone wall for both versions.

It would be more easier for me to build a level converter if I had this info... I don't want to hex-edit the mac levels, this would take time to discover.

Anyway.... thanks for the reply...
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: