DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wildsau 3D - Engine
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
kieselsteini

Topics: 1

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:38 pm
   Subject: Wildsau 3D - Engine
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hello Wolfers, hello board.

I'm not really new here at this board, but I never posted something very useful or promising. But today I want to announce my small little game engine which is caled: Wildsau 3D (or for non German speakers here: Boar 3D or Wild hog 3D, just take one).

This is a completely new engine written from the scratch but in the spirit of the old beloved Wolfenstein 3D. Why making a new engine if we have so wonderful things like Wolf4SDL and WinWolf...? That is a good question and I try to answer it gently.

First of all...just because it's fun to code a simple 3D engine and play around with the technologies and to have something I can work on long, cold, rainy evenings. But that's not all. My dream is an engine that let modders/game makers do what they want, without digging deep into the ancient C code Wolfenstein is based on. So I tried to make nearly everything of the game scriptable with an easy to use and easy to learn programming language. Perhaps someone may have heard of that programming language, because it's widely used in the game industry and even some big players have chosen it as their scripting language. I wrote a Wolf3D type engine (90 walls, sprite, sprite enemies etc.) and mixed it with the Lua language. Lua is pretty cool and very elegant to script things (Blizzard uses Lua as their main language to script World of Warcraft UI....just look around how many addons are available for Wow...all coded in Lua).

A modder can simply take the executable of my engine (which is available for Linux, Windows and MacOS X...at least for this platforms I'll maintain it), put some graphics and sounds in it and can start out to make it's own Wolf style game. The best thing is, the game script with all data will run out of the box on every platform the engine is available.

I hope this is not only a great idea in my head, but will attract some of you guys to play around with that stuff. I'm done with the most basic things, and I'll show you a sample script I wrote to test various aspects of the engine so far. My question now is: is somebody interested in, or is this a doomed project because the idea sucks or something else.

Here are some features I've implemented so far:

• hardware accelerated rendering (OpenGL). Even the cheapest netbooks have some onboard GPU which is capable of rendering that few polygons needed for this type of engine
  • positional audio (OpenAL) so guards will really shout behind you (that's scary!)
  • a virtual filesystem which is capable of loading ZIP, 7z, WAD, PAK, PK3, HOG etc. archives, so you can pack your data in just one file
  • loading of PNG, JPEG, TGA files for textures and images (no 256 color barrier because of OpenGL)
  • Ogg Vorbis audio (a free mp3 replacement)
  • textured floors and ceiling...because I saw this in every mod out there
  • higher walls (not only one story high, but as high as you want)
  • larger levels...atm. 128x128 cells
  • completely scriptable with Lua

Ok...that should be enough for now. Here is a small screenshot showing the engine running on my Linux box with the test script I wrote.
http://kieselsteini.de/Wildsau/screenshot01.jpg

And here's the Lua script I wrote for the test. It's a bit messy because things change but I think you get a glimpse how things should work
http://kieselsteini.de/Wildsau/Game.lua

I hope you may find this stuff promising and I'd like to hear your thought about that. Beer

--kieselsteini
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:54 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Looks pretty impressive. It would be nice to see someone use this, there's propably a learning curve in learning LUA and people need some solid editing tools. Other than that, I wish you luck with the project.

ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:58 am
   Subject: Re: Wildsau 3D - Engine

Very impressive indeed. Combined with multiple floor/ceiling textures this engine could be the first one to have some actual good looking cities in a Wolf3d-environment. Wasn't there some talk about a GTA mod long ago? Laughing
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Wow....very impressive...finally easy customizable ROTT-type engine...I needed such to make a StarWars mod.
Sounds very promicing.

I see it a bright future.

Just try to make it maybe more....you know...user-friendly - Game Maker style (?). In Game Maker you have the ability to work directly with the text file, and to edit it through visual events, properties, selections....
kieselsteini

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:24 am

Hi...thank you for your replies! Now I'm motivated to step further Very Happy

I agree with you, that this projects stands and falls with a good editing tool. But I'll finish a prototype engine first (it's almost done...) and then go over to the editor stuff. A GameMaker like editor tool sounds not good to me, because such a tool always limits the capabilities. I already cut down the amount of code needed to create guards and I've uploaded a new Lua example http://kieselsteini.de/Wildsau/Game.lua

I started to code an editor in Java, because Java provides a simple way to make a good looking GUI, but I've no experience in creating Java Desktop applications, and drawing the map made the editor incredibly slow. Furthermore your texture slots will be defined in the Lua script with the LoadTexture(slot, filename) calls and Java is not capable of doing Lua. Sad Coding the editor in C++ will provide all engine features but no easy to use GUI...so that's a dilemma.

At this point I've a question to mappers and modders out there. How many layers do you normally use to create cool maps. I've at the moment 6 layers for the mapper. A wall, floor, object and ceiling layer. These layers should be clear...if a wall is set, a wall is drawn, the same goes for floor, object an ceiling. Object means a solid sprite that doesn't interact with the player or actors, like lamps, decorations etc. So there's no limit of "statics" as Wolf calls these objects. The last two layers are flags and code. Flags should be things like, non-blockable (even there's a wall or object..to make "secrets" without a pushwall, or objects you can move through like grass), directional horizontal/vertical to render objects flat for fences and doorway. This should be set if you want to place or door, and doors always have the height of 1. But if your level has a greater height the doors would look silly, because there's no wall on the top of the door. Code is totally ignored by the engine because it's only for the Lua script. I thought about doing switches or flag secret areas. Every time the player enters a new cell the script get's an callback and there you can check the code and decide what to do. Perhaps damage the player if you place lava or so....Laughing

Do you think thats enough, or too much? But as you can see, an improved engine also needs an improved editor capable of handling this additional information.

Last but not least, I want to use this thread as a small development blog (if the moderator here will allow that). And here are the changes I made yesterday:
  • rewrote the Lua API so, collision detection and sight detection is now fast C++ code
  • set a framerate limit of 60 FPS (we really don't need to run the game faster!)
  • fixed a glitch in the raycaster (walls disappeared at certain angles)
  • began to write a Java editor, but it failed... Sad
  • various fixes, and improved rendering speed

So long...that's enough Very Happy

Ahh sorry...I forgot to say something about the editing tools. Well...it's easier to start, than you may think of. Just create a new directory, place some PNG/JPEGs/TGA files in there, open up a text editor (for Windows users I would suggest Notepad++ because it supports Lua syntax highlighting) and copy the demo script. Then play around with the demo script and you'll see it's not that hard. So I'll not providing any tools to change graphics or sounds, because there are a lot of good applications out there, like Gimp or Audacity which will do their job. And if you have a PhotoShop just use it. As I mentioned before, the engine can handle various image formats, so there's no need to convert it in some internal engine format. But...heh...a good map editor must be there Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:45 am

kieselsteini wrote:
A GameMaker like editor tool sounds not good to me, because such a tool always limits the capabilities.

No, I didn't mean to limit the capabilities. I said you can have 2 editing modes - one - direct code, with full capabilities...and the other, for "less coder dudes", with less capabilities, but much more visual and fast.
Or you can make some fast things with the noob editor (to save time), and then go directly to the code for more advanced touch-ups.
I think "noob editor" is good for inserting new enemies and such. "Create character" window - set size... browse for attack frames....
insurrectionman
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 86
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:29 am

Wow I like it, this looks like something I can expand my knowledge in programming languages and such. Keep up the good work.

EDIT: P.S. I noticed a different GUI in the image, possibly Linux, so does this mean that it is cross-platform capable?

New Site: http://www.treesapthief.com
Twitter: @treesapthief
kieselsteini

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:50 am

Hi...yes. The engine is fully cross platform. The idea is, only to distribute the data files and everyone can play them with one executable.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:43 pm

This looks interesting. I'd love to see where this goes.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Tragos2d
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 8

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:04 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

okay so how can we download this and have a look for ourselves? I am interested! Very Happy
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: