DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

New Raycast Engine - Redux
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Tragos2d
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 8

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:21 am
   Subject: New Raycast Engine - Redux
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hello everyone I am new to this forum, however my love for raycast engines (including Wolf3d) dates back to the early 90's. I have an extensive collection of games and books about raycasting techniques. For a long time I have been trying to find a modern adaption of a true "Raycast" engine which has only resulted in failure. What I propose is to create a tweaked version of the original Wolf source code, using code examples from: "Net Warriors in C: Programming 3d Multi-Player Games in C" which will give this new engine "Redux" both ethernet and Internet play through TCP/IP connections. I have studied this book intensively but am still unsure how to modernize this code. Windows XP is my platform of choice but I was to keep compatibility with older systems.

Another book by this same author:
Amazing 3-D Games Adventure Set: The Best Way to Create Fast Action 3-D Games in C

Rise of the Triad, Operation Body Count, and even Corridor 7 offered various types of multiplayer. My proposed engine dubbed "Redux" will be able to scale textures as large as 256x256 and offer support for 8 sided sprites. The end result of Redux will attempt to be as polished as Blake Stone: Planetstrike but with multiplayer capabilities. I am willing to provide all of the necessary art and sound effects for this engines first title. I have no interest in venturing into this coding alone, so all that I ask is for the support of any accomplished programmers out there. I wish I had more to show but this project is just starting out. Shortly I will be uploading the ISO image of the Cdrom from "Net Warriors in C" which contains working source code of both the ethernet and internet based muliplayer raycast engine.

Here is my website, a new section about "Redux" will be going up within the week.
www.tragos2d.com

(R)EDUX - Raycast AKA Rrcast
List of planned features:
1. 256x256 textures scalable to 64x64 wall panel
2. Friendly Units - (think Operation Bodycount)
3. Translucent texture support
4. Floor and ceiling textures.
5. TCP/IP and Ethernet LAN support up to 8 players.
6. 8 sided sprites.
7. Hubs- freely travel to other maps/levels. Persistent maps.

Last edited by Tragos2d on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:01 pm; edited 8 times in total
Tragos2d
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:05 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Here is a screen shot from a unrelated title I am developing.
http://www.tragos2d.com/aliens-vs-marines
It's easy to see my work is heavily inspired by AVP on the Jaguar. Which in my opinion is one of the greatest raycast games ever made.

Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:51 pm
   Subject: Re: New Raycast Engine - Redux

It's funny, Just earlier today I was just thinking how a wolfenstein-like mod/game with a multilayer feature would be really fun to play.

I'm afraid to say that I'm not too familiar with C++ or coding (only took a really basic class in school a few years back) but I have been helpful to a few people with figuring out programming logic. (WLHack a couple times)

Anyway, this sounds really cool and hope this works out.

I'm working on a project of my own, but if you want/need help with music or sound effects I can help out there easily...

Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:26 pm

I'm now considering using the ROTT source-code instead. My goal is to keep everything simple. However ROTT lacks any sort of Cooperative mode but I doubt it would be very hard to implement. The engine called ACK3d mentioned in the book above uses "C" not C++. Sorry for the confusion. First thing I'm trying to do is stir up some interest. The screen-shots above where rendered in Gzdoom which is a port of Doom. Coding is also not my favorite activity, I would much rather stick to doing the artwork. Without some guidance "Redux" will be like navigating a cave without a flashlight. Hopefully some coders out there will see this post. (We can even talk of financial compensation if needed)

Its a real shame that raycast games died out so fast. It seems right at the height off their popularity was also the same moment they died out...

@Lozer_42
What is the most advanced version of the wolf source currently in this community? This is probably where I should start my adventure. Support for floor and ceiling textures are a must! I like what I see at this site: http://www.hwolf3d.tk/ One screen even looks like it has a skybox. I am still attracted to wolf3d's source because of how lightweight it is and the programs portability.

Here are other projects of interest I'm looking into:

DOOM: Legions of Hell
http://www.freewebs.com/crack_software/doomlegionsofhell.htm
The author kindly provided the sourcecode. This project didn't run so great for me but I love how he was able to use stock doom textures without any color loss.

Orb of Dilaaria
http://winwolf3d.dugtrio17.com/
This one I'm sure is well known. Nicely polished! I swear the monsters even hunt the player! The convenient installer made everything work effortlessly. Since Dosbox supports IPX tunneling through TCP/IP this may be the route I should explore with my project.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Tragos2d wrote:
@Lozer_42 ...
I'm not Lozer_42, but a lot of the features you ask for are already in the current versions of Wolf4SDL. They can be enabled/disabled simply by adding or removing a comment mark, then recompiling the source. They include weather effects (rain/snow/cloudy sky), parallax sky backgrounds, floor/ceiling textures, hi-res images, and image shading effects.

Quote:
What is the most advanced version of the wolf source currently in this community?
It depends on what you mean by "advanced". Are you speaking of the raycaster itself, or the game's features? Or both? Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:59 am

Welcome to our forums! Smile

You have "Wolf4SDL", "Base of Operations".....

ROTT engine is indeed a good source too. I love ROTT - it has great weapons and nice engine you can do alot with.

Art-related - I've released in the past artpacks of many if not all Wolf3D (and their variations) enemies in all 8 dir shooting frames (that are lacking in original WolfD arpack). I've also released skulltag-style multiplayer medals for Wolf3D, and some nice skins , like the Undead SS.

Do you plan 64x64 art - or Doom-style enemies resolution?

Engine-wise - there are sure some free raycasting engines outthere with source released...

Also inventing new cool game modes for multiplayer can be cool.
Tragos2d
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:38 am

I just learned about Wolf4SDL yesterday, yeah I'm that new. Very Happy

Wolf4SDL should suit all of my needs. I would like to add scalable sprites and textures beyond the current limit. Ideally I also would prefer .png support. The only potential issue I foresee with the Netwarriors code is that it was written to handle DOS. I may just have to wait for ECWolf but I still want to explore a few more options before I let this idea fade away.

@Doom Jedi
I'm working on a set of updated sprites with full rotations for Blzut3. (Based upon the MAC/Jaguar versions) Could you link me to one of your art packs? Some of your sprites might make a suitable base or be worth studying to ensure my new sprites are accurate.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 am

Tragos2d wrote:
I may just have to wait for ECWolf but I still want to explore a few more options before I let this idea fade away.

Yeah, just as I meant to try to make you to be aware of the parallel ECWolf project. And I'm not sure it's the only one....maybe the most known and active though.
BTW Wolf3D has a known TC on various ports, especially famous Wolf3D zdoom TC http://zdoom.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D_TC and some other Wolf3D projects on zDoom, like the Wolf3D Invasion mod http://3dshots.nl/wads/INV_screenshots4_Wolfenstein.htm
...not to mention known Wolf3D DOOM TCs known as "WolfenDoom" series http://www.doomworld.com/wolfendoom/index2.html

http://www.moddb.com/mods/zwolf

...But don't let it stop you from doing something new and exciting Smile

Quote:
@Doom Jedi
I'm working on a set of updated sprites with full rotations for Blzut3. (Based upon the MAC/Jaguar versions) Could you link me to one of your art packs? Some of your sprites might make a suitable base or be worth studying to ensure my new sprites are accurate.

http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/sprites.htm --> "Doomjedi Artwork Collection" (+"Undead SS Sprites Pack")
Note - multiplayer sprites - are NOT in MAC/Jaguar-res

There is another pack I've posted earlier - I just can't find the Wolf3D Dome link. All are for free modding use with credit to me.
Some sprites are in DOOM palette, but I can help converting them.

Also I've created a definition file format that allows people to easily invent/define/create endless custom multiplayer game modes (on "user side") - but this format was made for another unreleased project, and so I'm not sure I'll be able to share those. But this is just an idea I can throw to you - maybe you can invent such format yourself.

Last edited by doomjedi on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:32 am

Tragos2d wrote:
Wolf4SDL should suit all of my needs. I would like to add scalable sprites and textures beyond the current limit.
What "limit" are you talking about? Chris posted a tutorial that enabled over 1000 wall types and doors available in each map. Other limits like "maximum visible objects" and "maximum Actors" can all be easily increased in WL_DEF.H and WL_DRAW.CPP. Smile
Tragos2d
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:16 am

The 64x64 texture resolution limit. I should have been more specific. Smile

Thanks for all of that info Doomjedi.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:29 am

At least WolfDX engine - has hi-res walls support. I think Wolf4SDL has them as well...(?)
http://wolfsource.dugtrio17.com/wiki/index.php?title=WolfDX
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Regarding the 64x64. In the past I've known both WLHack and InsurrectionMan to have messed with LARGE 128x128 images (not hi-res, large) in the game with fairly descent results. (InsurrectionMan has a screen cap of a HUGE Cyber Demon from Doom walking around in Wolfenstein)

Also regarding images, another good place to look would be Majik Monkee's Image World. The quality of the different things vary greatly, but at the very least it might help you with getting ideas.

Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Looks like I will have to contact both WLHack and InsurrectionMan in regards to how they bypassed the 64x64 limit. I have a lot of textures which didn't make the final cut for my Gzdoom project: Aliens vs. Marines. It would be a real shame to just toss them out! They don't look terrible shrank down the 64 pixels but they really shine at 128.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:50 pm

The only problem with those large sprites is that the walls cut them off, you can't see them above the walls.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:29 pm

ronwolf1705 wrote:
The only problem with those large sprites is that the walls cut them off, you can't see them above the walls.

I imagine this is fixable. You could insert two functions into ThreeDRefresh before the regular ones:

1. AsmRefresh2 (makes a spotvis that only draws past the player-to-wall distance [using that distance] for each angle ray)
2. DrawScaleds2 (draws those sprites, if they're "large" sprites)
3. WallRefresh (draws the walls and refreshes the spotvis to normal)
4. DrawScaleds (draws the sprites in front of walls like normal)

spotvis = the area that is considered "visible" where the sprites can be drawn to (if someone didn't know)

If someone posts a tutorial and test vswap for these "large sprites", I can probably code something to give you a better idea. I'm sure this could work, but am curious to test how far to make their visible distance ratio (before the walls get bigger anyway).

Edit: I just added this to the bottom of ThreeDRefresh() in wl_draw.cpp as a test. Pretty cool eh? Laughing

::: CODE :::
//
// draw all the scaled images
//
    SimpleScaleShape(viewwidth/2,SPR_GRD_SHOOT1,viewheight+1);
    SimpleScaleShape(viewwidth/4,SPR_SS_S_1,viewheight-6);
    SimpleScaleShape((viewwidth-viewheight/4),SPR_ROCKET_1,viewheight*4);
    WallRefresh ();

DrawScaleds();                  // draw scaled stuff

Last edited by Chris on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Tragos2d wrote:
Looks like I will have to contact both WLHack and InsurrectionMan in regards to how they bypassed the 64x64 limit. I have a lot of textures which didn't make the final cut for my Gzdoom project: Aliens vs. Marines. It would be a real shame to just toss them out! They don't look terrible shrank down the 64 pixels but they really shine at 128.
It's not difficult to enable 128x128 images; in VERSION.H, look for the "USE_HIRES" line, remove the "//" before it, and rebuild the code. That's it! Your 128x128 images are enabled. Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tricob, I thought he meant "looking higher than 64" sprites for outside areas...
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: