DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Corridor 7: Alien Invasion design documents released.
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
vermil
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:28 am
   Subject: Corridor 7: Alien Invasion design documents released.
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Mr Les Bird (one of Capstones lead programmers and the lead programmer on Corridor 7) has found the first couple of revisions of the Corridor 7 design documents and has uploaded them to his website.

They are an interesting read and detail several ideas that were cut from the final game and elaborate on several elements of the final game.

http://www.lesbird.com/capstone/
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:16 pm
   Subject: Re: Corridor 7: Alien Invasion design documents released.
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

An interesting find indeed, thanks for sharing these. I haven't had the chance to play the cd version of the game, but having played through the original full version, I must say the original plans are almost totally different from the final version. Sounds like it would have been a lot like what Doom is now if they had gone with these original plans.

It would be interesting to know if there were any early betas with any of these elements in them out there anywhere. I saw no mention of some of my favorite elements like enemies disguised as plants and other objects.

DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Indeed, the more I read them, the more differences I pick out.

I imagine that Capstone probably did what ID did with both Wolf3D and Doom though; began planning an fps with adventure like elements, but ultimately dropped them in favour of a more straight forward shooter.

Doesn't mean I don't wish we could have seen the game detailed in those design docs brought to life though (I wanna make it :p, but it's probably too much for me to do alone Sad ); it sounds a little more cohesive than what we know of ID's original plan for Wolf3D.

The choice of words for describing things in the doc sounds like Mr Bird was envisaging a much more “gritty, bloodier and darker” game than the final game turned out to be. In some ways more like the Corr8 prototype artwork (and it's design doc) suggests that game was heading in...
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:20 pm

I was thinking the same thing, about it sounding a lot "darker" than the final product. That would be cool to see a game based on the original design concept, sounds like most of the planned features would be possible to implement, granted I have no knowledge of coding.

One indelible feature of Corridor 7 was when a ghost version of the final boss appears in front of you at random, thats what inspired the randomly appearing ghosts in medEvil.

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 5
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Looks like Les has uploaded the C7 strategy guide up on the same site. Design docs were a treat. I own a hard copy of the strat guide, so it's not needed for me. Boy, it's good to be back! Very Happy

Check out my Corridor 8 Overview
vermil
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:30 pm

Well, one doesn't have to risk damaging their hard copy if they have a PDF version (I also have a hard copy) Smile

Something I've noticed is that some of the CD maps in the guide claim you have to kill all the aliens to complete the map, like the disk maps, which of course, isn't true in the released game. I wonder if the change to simply finding the exit was a last minute decision; many of the CD maps really don't seem designed around the idea of simply finding the exit.
Mishran
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 5
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:53 pm

vermil wrote:
Well, one doesn't have to risk damaging their hard copy if they have a PDF version (I also have a hard copy) Smile

Something I've noticed is that some of the CD maps in the guide claim you have to kill all the aliens to complete the map, like the disk maps, which of course, isn't true in the released game. I wonder if the change to simply finding the exit was a last minute decision; many of the CD maps really don't seem designed around the idea of simply finding the exit.

Good point on the strat guide.

I believe the strat guide was designed along side the floppy version. It was released in conjunction with the CD version though.

Capstone had it all planned out. Release a stripped down version on disk, then a few months later release a feature rich CD version that people will pay for to get the CD quality soundtrack, extra 10 levels, and the multiplayer.

The disk version's manual even states the intentions of releasing the enhanced CD version later on.

What is strange though is the fact the Capstone's CD release is the ONLY CD release to include the CD audio tracks.

Check out my Corridor 8 Overview
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:44 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Mishran wrote:
Capstone had it all planned out. Release a stripped down version on disk, then a few months later release a feature rich CD version that people will pay for to get the CD quality soundtrack, extra 10 levels, and the multiplayer.

I liked the disk version better overall. It felt more... organized. The CD version, while interesting, felt more like a bunch of enhanced stuff slapped on randomly that added unnecessary complication and sort of messed up the flow/mood of the game for me. I don't know, maybe I just got attached to the disk version. I guess they got my money either way... Laughing

Mishran wrote:
What is strange though is the fact the Capstone's CD release is the ONLY CD release to include the CD audio tracks.

Here's something I found kind of interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taKQ_mAtCTo
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Other Wolf3d Based Games View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: