DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[idea] Stores and shops
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Max
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 7

poland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:06 am
   Subject: [idea] Stores and shops
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hello.

What do you think about adding points you can buy items from to the game?
I was trying to think out an easiest way to make this possible and this is what I got:

1. Take the code for shelves you can collect items from (they were used in several mods)
2. Points (score) would be money.
3. Buying (action button) an item would remove an amount of them.
4. Players gets a specyfic item (ammo, health pack, etc). Of course if you don't have enough money to pay nothing happens.

You could also add a dialog box for more advanced stores to choose what item you want to buy (for ex. one store for weapon / ammo, the other one for healing stuff).

I guess this is a good base to start from.
But since I'm not a coder I'd like to know the opinion of people who actually know how to make the code work.

Regards
Max
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:33 am
   Subject: Re: [idea] Stores and shops
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've thought about this concept more than once. The easiest way to arrange all the data is with a "Raptor-style" setup; the inventory is always available in the stores, but you have set limits for how much of each you can buy.

As to where the shops are located and how you access them, the "Moraff's World" approach is probably your best bet. Basically, you see the shop in the map you're going through, you enter it, and the Shop screen appears.

Rather than having every type of item available in one shop, I suggest that there be several types of shops, each of which sell different things. For instance, Shop #1 might carry "healing" items, and Shop #2 might carry weapons and ammunition. This gives the levels more possibilities for how they might be laid out by the mapper.
Max
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 7

poland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:41 am
   Subject: [idea] Stores and shops

Quote:
you see the shop in the map you're going through, you enter it, and the Shop screen appears.

So that would look like in early rpg games I suppose?

Quote:
This gives the levels more possibilities for how they might be laid out by the mapper.

What about hub areas? Maybe not real hubs like in Strife, but simplified concept of base you can return to after finishing an amount of levels (each "mission").
In this way, it won't require saving map state to cache - the area you get supplies before going to another course of levels would not change as well it's state couldn't be afftcted by player's actions (though it would be nice to put there some invincible npcs - just to make it more life-like and convincing).

As the story progresses the base map could be replaced with another place to return - let's say when player allies with the rebel forces and change sides.
Just to make this thing less boring.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Max wrote:
Quote:
you see the shop in the map you're going through, you enter it, and the Shop screen appears.

So that would look like in early rpg games I suppose?
There's probably more than one way to do it, but the way I had in mind is like the Upgrade box in Absence.

Quote:
Quote:
This gives the levels more possibilities for how they might be laid out by the mapper.

What about hub areas? Maybe not real hubs like in Strife, but simplified concept of base you can return to after finishing an amount of levels (each "mission").
In this way, it won't require saving map state to cache - the area you get supplies before going to another course of levels would not change as well it's state couldn't be afftcted by player's actions (though it would be nice to put there some invincible npcs - just to make it more life-like and convincing).
Maybe it's just a "brain fail" of mine, I'm not sure what "hub areas" are. Embarassed From what I gather in your post, there's a "world map" you can maneuver through (RPG-style, but in Wolf3D perspective), touching an area will make you "enter" that Episode, and completing that Episode will bring you back where you were before in the world map. Is this the general idea? Smile
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:13 pm

This is what I did in Tara Carmichael with the Soda Machines (Didn't see this post until now Very Happy )

1: Create an enemy that doesn't chase you or attempt to harm you, they just stand still and will die if shot...
2: Pressing the SPACEBAR near them will exchange score for an item (You can get ammo, health, specifically code it for whatever)...
3: Create additional objects that sell other stuff but work the same...

I should probably share my code sometime, but that's the basic function of it. Frankly I love the idea. Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:35 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Soldat 555 wrote:
This is what I did in Tara Carmichael with the Soda Machines (Didn't see this post until now Very Happy )

1: Create an enemy that doesn't chase you or attempt to harm you, they just stand still and will die if shot...
2: Pressing the SPACEBAR near them will exchange score for an item (You can get ammo, health, specifically code it for whatever)...
3: Create additional objects that sell other stuff but work the same...
Sounds like the Informants code in Blake Stone, but with small changes to the code. There are stationary Informants as well as "patrolling" ones, but the patrolling ones stick in your mind better because they're moving around, and often bar your way. Razz
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: