DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D! (Add each years wishes here)
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:38 am
   Subject: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D! (Add each years wishes here)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

So... It seems that Wolfenstein 3D, the good old game itself, can celebrate its 20th anniversary on the fifth of May. I wonder if anyone's got something up their sleeve, a tribute of sorts. Personally I'll release a map set for the first three episodes. However, it will only be the third episode that's wholly new. Episodes 1 and 2 were released (by mistake I now see ???) as "Escapism" and "Eisenfaust Overdrive" respectively, but they'll be slightly edited to fit the 100 % original flow for this map set.

But browsing through various archives and informative sites on the Internet, I can't really clarify that Wolf as we know it came out on May 5, 1992. When did the shareware come out? Simultaneously with the original game? And what about versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4? And what's up with the 30-level version, what was that all about? And how come Spear already came out in September the same year?

I'm curious here.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:09 am
   Subject: Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D! (Add each years wishes here)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Originally I was working on a big surprise (no, not a release of a cancelled mod Smile ) - but currently the coder is busy with his prior commitments so that project is stalled.
I'll consider something else....already have something in mind...
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:51 am

I might have some Ubuntu-built executables for the Wolf3D series, but I'm not so sure they'll come out by the May date you've given. Sad

That being said, if memory serves, the 60-level version (v1.0) of Wolf3D was first released a few months after the Shareware version. I don't have dates on the thirty-level version, though. The last update for Wolf3D was made in 1993. There are numerous versions of v1.4, so tracking down a specific date is difficult, especially since all these releases function almost exactly the same (and look exactly the same as well). V1.3 of Wolf3D was not released, becuase of confusion related to a mod called "Wolf3D v1.3".

In this message board, Chris posted "Last Modified" dates on just about all the DOS-based EXEs released by Id and Apogee. But I don't have the link anywhere at this time. Sad

Regarding Spear Of Destiny, its release was around the same date as v1.2 of Wolf3D. Note that the raycaster and player movement function exactly the same in both releases. AFAIK, versions 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 of Spear Of Destiny were never released; the next update was changed to v1.4, to avoid confusion (or rather *decrease* confusion, I should say).
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm gonna attempt to get 5,000,000 points in Schabbs2000. Thumbs Up I'll post my progress here:

http://choksta.webs.com/s2000.txt

Tricob wrote:
I might have some Ubuntu-built executables for the Wolf3D series, but I'm not so sure they'll come out by the May date you've given.

How do you like Ubuntu so far? I'd enjoy hearing how well Wolf4SDL / everything else runs on it compared to Win7.

Thomas wrote:
Personally I'll release a map set for the first three episodes. However, it will only be the third episode that's wholly new. Episodes 1 and 2 were released (by mistake I now see ???) as "Escapism" and "Eisenfaust Overdrive" respectively, but they'll be slightly edited to fit the 100 % original flow for this map set.

Sounds good to me! Smile

Thomas wrote:
But browsing through various archives and informative sites on the Internet, I can't really clarify that Wolf as we know it came out on May 5, 1992. When did the shareware come out? Simultaneously with the original game? And what about versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4? And what's up with the 30-level version, what was that all about? And how come Spear already came out in September the same year?

You might find this interesting:
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/bunker/wolf3dfaq.htm#1.7

(Shareware v1.0 was released May 5th... and as far as I know, the registered version was released June 10th.)
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Pizza wrote:
I'm gonna attempt to get 5,000,000 points in Schabbs2000. Thumbs Up I'll post my progress here:

http://choksta.webs.com/s2000.txt

Ha-ha, I got 5,397,000 or 5,423,000 (call me crazy, I confuse those numbers) when I ran through the special secret SDL port a while ago. I'm not even going to bother playing it in DosBOX.

Schmokage wrote:
... {Thomas raps about something}... Sounds good to me! Smile

Great! I just had to slot those two episodes in somewhere. I keep releasing too much here and there... I need a mapping condom or something.

Un Canadien Errant wrote:
(Shareware v1.0 was released May 5th... and as far as I know, the registered version was released June 10th.)

Swell, that's just about enough time to do the nocturnal episodes (which I think will be a lot funnier than the first three). Beer
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:16 pm

DHW Bunker wrote:
v1.4 - Fixed something but I forgot what.
This fixed the "joystick bug" reported by numerous users, as well as speed issues with fade-ins and fade-outs. A bugfix in v1.2 that isn't mentioned - If a dog kills you, any version older than 1.2 can't figure out who the attacker is. This is the quickest way to tell v1.2 apart from v1.1, since the sign-on screen of both versions has the same "v1.1" notation at the bottom right.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Chris wrote:
Tricob wrote:
I might have some Ubuntu-built executables for the Wolf3D series, but I'm not so sure they'll come out by the May date you've given.
How do you like Ubuntu so far? I'd enjoy hearing how well Wolf4SDL / everything else runs on it compared to Win7.
I haven't checked it out on anything other than 640x400 so far (which doesn't exactly have a low framerate when you have a quad-core processor; LOL). I really need to tinker around with Ubuntu's command line feature more. Confused
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:32 am

I'm an Ubuntu fan as well, though now I run Win7 again (thanks to the re-arm command, lol) --- always wondered if SDL was possible there or not.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Thomas wrote:
I'm an Ubuntu fan as well, though now I run Win7 again (thanks to the re-arm command, lol) --- always wondered if SDL was possible there or not.
It runs every SDL-based EXE I'm aware of. You just have to install WINE first (JULinux 8 automatically comes with this, if you prefer that OS). That being said, I haven't yet learned how to run the EXEs through batch files yet, hence my lack of experience with 1280x800 modes in WINE.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:26 am

Hmm... Is there a possibility to get MapEdit to work there as well?!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Thomas wrote:
Hmm... Is there a possibility to get MapEdit to work there as well?!
Yes; there's a DOS Box executable that's compatible with Ubuntu. Had to look up on a website how to fine-tune it, though; DOSBOX.CONF isn't immediately accessible (you have to have it extracted to a folder using a command line or something).
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Thomas wrote:
Ha-ha, I got 5,397,000 or 5,423,000 (call me crazy, I confuse those numbers) when I ran through the special secret SDL port a while ago.

Heh. I found out today, that 5,000,000 (in the original Schabbs2000) is definitely achievable. Smile Here's one strategy...

Level 1: Select "Death Incarnate" skill. Just take it slow and easy on this level, aiming for 100% ratios and building up your arsenal. Try to end off the level with the most health and ammo that you can (It'll help you in Level 2).

Level 2: Follow the path below...

Notes:
- Hit all 6 secret passages for 100% secret ratio, but don't worry about getting 100% kill or treasure
- Grab the gold key at #4 - and the treasure chests/crowns at #5 and #6 on your way back for extra points
- You don't need the silver key, just open the door at #8 and shoot, and the guard at #9 will hear you and open the silver door
- Once you get a time ~2:20 or less (a score of 240,400 or more after you get the endlevel bonuses), you're set!

Level 3-50: Just aim for 100% ratios. You already have enough extra points from Level 2.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 am
   Subject: 20 years on the 5th of May...

I must admit I've never gotten bonuses when I've played games in earnest. When searching for and making sure I'll get 100 %, I've never done it quick enough to hit below par time.

Schabbs 2000's levels 9-49 say nothing about ratios. I've wandered about those maps for half an hour or more each just to make sure I get everything down. 100 % is not possible in the original version, since the door noises on level 19 are caused by mutants blocked behind wall patches opening and closing them.

The SDL version of Schabbs 2000 which I think is as good as done (all right, kill me if yer want, but here 'tis): MCS sent me an EXE to test in the summers of 2010 as well as 2011, and everything worked - including the door noises on level 19 now being 'ambient' rather than actual guards, and all ratios displayed at the end of each level. In the end, he wanted Gary's approval, and I sort of secured that in a 2009 thread about something I can't remember --- Gary popped in and said it's a pleasure people still play Schabbs 2000 and if any improvements can be done, he won't stand in the way for them. I'm sorry if this busts MCS's hump, but I suppose he's busy yodeling with the band. Secret

I just had to clear things up. I tested Schabbs 2000 SDL and it worked terrific. It's a shame it hasn't gotten out yet.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:34 am
   Subject: Re: 20 years on the 5th of May...

Thomas wrote:
Schabbs 2000's levels 9-49 say nothing about ratios. I've wandered about those maps for half an hour or more each just to make sure I get everything down. 100 % is not possible in the original version, since the door noises on level 19 are caused by mutants blocked behind wall patches opening and closing them.

100% is possible, because only the first 8 level ratios are actually counted at the end of Level 50 (the behavior is still similar to wolf3d, there were no source code changes to alter this calculation, Gary just changed the secret level's "Elevator-Backto" map from level 2 to 11 with a hex editor so the player could continue beyond Level 10). So, it doesn't matter if there are hidden mutants in Level 19. Smile

Thomas wrote:
The SDL version of Schabbs 2000 which I think is as good as done (all right, kill me if yer want, but here 'tis): MCS sent me an EXE to test in the summers of 2010 as well as 2011, and everything worked - including the door noises on level 19 now being 'ambient' rather than actual guards, and all ratios displayed at the end of each level. In the end, he wanted Gary's approval, and I sort of secured that in a 2009 thread about something I can't remember --- Gary popped in and said it's a pleasure people still play Schabbs 2000 and if any improvements can be done, he won't stand in the way for them.

Yup, here's the post. I'm actually sort of "over" SDL lately, got my Dosbox set-up and am playing more nostalgic Dos exes.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:53 am
   Subject: Re: 20 years on the 5th of May...

Thomas wrote:
I'm sorry if this busts MCS's hump, but I suppose he's busy yodeling with the band. Secret

One of the few times a Dutch band did anything noteworthy! Beer
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:24 am
   Subject: 20 years on the 5th of May...

You've obviously not heard of Supersister! Not to mention that the Wisselloord studios are located in the Netherlands... A lot of great stuff has been recorded there; e.g. Genesis' Wind & Wuthering, killer album. EVERYBODY knows that... ??? Laughing
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:37 pm

Tricob wrote:
(which doesn't exactly have a low framerate when you have a quad-core processor; LOL).

Hrmm... I'm curious... can Wolf4SDL take advantage of multiple cores?

I imagine it mostly works like the Dos version, where everything is just run in sequence but organized in a way that it looks like it's running in parallel, because all the factors first get collected and calculated (behind the scenes) then are spit out together for each tic. All I can tell (from looking at Task Manager-> Performance-> Resource Manager) is that Wolf4SDL is assigned around 8-14 threads, though I'm guessing only 1 main thread is always active and the rest are awaken when needed for simple calls (?). It would be interesting if things like sound/music could run in parallel with the game logic (as neither seem to need to be dependent on the other except when they begin/end), maybe the double buffering uses two separate threads/processes already. Anyone know? Sounds like it might be fun to try and program Wolf4SDL to be able to take advantage of this idea more (separating tasks that can run at the same time without any sequence/logic collisions).

At the very least though, I guess having a quad core could help as your OS environment and background programs wouldn't always have to share the same core as the game (and if you want to play stuff like mp3s in a separate program/thread). Smile

Last edited by Chris on Thu May 03, 2012 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Chris wrote:
Tricob wrote:
(which doesn't exactly have a low framerate when you have a quad-core processor; LOL).
Hrmm... I'm curious... can Wolf4SDL take advantage of multiple cores?
I assume it can, but you'd encounter problems when compiling it to different OS or system. Your idea is a delicious touch of engenuity, though; you could have one processor doing the AI and calculations, and the other doing the drawing work. Geek
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:32 am

Looks like we'll be having ourselves a full moon this weekend. too Confused

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:22 am

doomjedi wrote:
I'll consider something else....already have something in mind...

...and mine was posted at the Dome Smile Smile Smile

Anyone else prepared something?
vermil
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:22 am

Looks pretty good so far Doom Jedi. Do those cars block shots? I think it would allow for some interesting cover based fights if they do.
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:21 am

Chris wrote:
I imagine it mostly works like the Dos version, where everything is just run in sequence but organized in a way that it looks like it's running in parallel, because all the factors first get collected and calculated (behind the scenes) then are spit out together for each tic.

Remember when I talked about separating gamelogic from framerate. What it does is that it converts wolf from running one frame at a time to simulating all frames between two points in time. To be able to run on multiple cores you'd also have to separate AI, movement and stuff like that. You could create a message pump which would pump out events. And that would actually pave the road for networked multiplayer. I think SDL allready has an event loop built in, I don't know if you can feed custom events there though.

doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:20 am

vermil wrote:
Looks pretty good so far Doom Jedi.

Oh, thank you Smile Both me and RonWolf are Batman fans, so we do this with much inspiration Smile
But we didn't want to reveal too much with the screenshots Smile

The project is in VERY advanced stage BTW, we just decided to unveil it now.

Quote:
Do those cars block shots?

I don't thing they do - they are "normal" scenery.

Quote:
I think it would allow for some interesting cover based fights if they do.

Hmm....well... we are close to finish the mapping, so it's a bit too late for that Smile Cool idea though Smile
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:30 am

A couple of things have been released for Wolfenstein 3D's 20th anniversary.

http://wolfenstein.bethsoft.com/game/wolf3d.html
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wolfenstein-3d-classic-platinum/id309470478?mt=8

Wolfenstein 3D Director's Commentary with John Carmack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=amDtAPHH-zE
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:44 pm

ronwolf1705 wrote:
A couple of things have been released for Wolfenstein 3D's 20th anniversary.

http://wolfenstein.bethsoft.com/game/wolf3d.html
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wolfenstein-3d-classic-platinum/id309470478?mt=8

Wolfenstein 3D Director's Commentary with John Carmack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=amDtAPHH-zE

Ah, I was about to post that lol. I think what's great is modding is talked about in the commentary from around the 7 minute mark. Screenshots from Absense and some other mods. It's kinda neat.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Joshua
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 152

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:31 am
   Subject: Wolfenstein 3D is 21 years old today

Happy 21th anniversary Wolfenstein 3D! I am making two games just to celebrate. I will get the two games released today. Does anyone have any memories of this game that they would like to share? I remember when I played the first episode back in the 90s. My first boss battle was Hans Grosse. I also remember an SS hiding in an elevator back in the 90s. Man, those were the days. I also remember the dogs and episode 1 enemies along with the items in episode 1.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:22 am

Like many Wolfers, my favorite memory was the final level with Hitler. Everything with the Fake Hitlers and the main boss was done perfectly; the appearances of the mini-bosses never got tedious, both bosses were interesting to fight, and the presentation was dead-perfect. There was always more than one way to fight the bosses here, and that sort of opportunity in a level always helps things out. Both bosses were pretty good conversation pieces, too. Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:23 pm

I have many warm, fond memories of Episode 3 as well. But for me, it was my first Episode 6 experience sometime in Fall/Winter, as a boy, that did the trick. Those are the times you treasure - and they can never come back. My first Totengraeber playthrough in late 2003 came close to that.

But the original Wolfenstein - I can't even begin to write how much I love that game. I've got fond memories of all episodes, all levels ..... Still as strong as ever.
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:14 pm

I want to take Wolfenstein 3D out for a drink.

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:47 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Yes, and bring some Wolfers along as well! Beer

Episode 6 was special for me as well, I believe it was the first time I encountered the officers (skipped some episode because why not start at the end? Razz ). But I'd say all the episodes had something special for me. Cool
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: