DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Beyond the Grave [OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE - October 31]
Page 1 of 8 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:09 am
   Subject: Beyond the Grave [OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE - October 31]
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

First and foremost, I am new to this site and new to the modding community. I've done very little in the way of modding save for mapping some levels for Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake. I am a long time Wolfenstein fan--I've been playing it off and on since it was first released in 1992. It wasn't until about four months ago that I decided to compile the source code, learn the basics of C/C++ and create a Wolfenstein-style game that I've spent a lot of time daydreaming about over the past couple of years. With that said, I present to you a framework for my very first mod, Beyond the Grave.

WORKING STORYLINE: You are a vampire, who works for a secret sector of the American government dedicated to paranormal research. There have been reports of a clandestine island near the Bermuda triangle where many marooned sailors have perished, and the last team of government agents sent there have yet to come back to report their findings. You decide to take matters into your own hands and organize a small team yourself to go to this island and see if you can gather any information on the whereabouts of the missing government agents.

As you, your team, and a small contingent of special ops soldiers approach the island, a gargantuan wave, so high that it could lick the stars on a starry night, decimates your helicopter. When you wake up, you find yourself in a cold, dark tomb, separated from your team. This is where your adventure begins.

You will be fighting a vast array of supernatural entities, using a combination of brute strength, firepower, sorcery and guile, in your quest for both information and survival. Your foes include: Demonic cultists, werewolves, other vampires, warlocks, succubi, wraiths, and horrific sea creatures (yes I plan on toying with the idea of having underwater levels like in the game SHADOW CASTER).

FEATURES that I've coded into the game so far:

-10 different weapons: half of them are guns, the other half of them are sorcery based (think a combination of Doom & Hexen).

-Berserk Mode/God Mode: I have an artifact called the Rage sphere that makes you invincible and increases the damage of your melee attack exponentially for a timed amount.

-A diverse range of enemies with improved AI.

-OGG music and sound effects (I plan on making my own music with Logic and/or Fruity Loops)

-Animated walls & floors

-Alumiun's Bullet tracing feature, complete with bullet puffs and ricochet sounds

Other potential FEATURES:

-Interactive wall-patches (if I get wall patches to work in SDL) and interactive items

-An inventory of items/artifacts that can be used to give you special powers similar to Heretic/Hexen

Here are some screenshots so far. Please keep in mind, again, this is my very first mod--I am new. Also, I am not good at graphics. I am more of a writer/musician than I am an artist. As a result of this, I have had to resort to being resourceful. Most of the graphics are extracted from Hexen, Heretic, Blood, Quake, Doom, and Realm 667.com. Hopefully I can find some people on here who can help me with graphics. Smile

Last edited by ThunderEnema on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:07 am; edited 6 times in total
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:14 am
   Subject: Announcing: Beyond the Grave
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Per-Scn
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 7

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:25 am
   Subject: Re: Beyond the Grave [OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE - October 31]

This looks great so far. I really like the aesthetic of the grayscale with splashes of colour. A really nice way to convey atmosphere with a limited palette.

What kind of music are you planning? Ambient, eerie stuff or more emo-ish rock? Just curious. Smile

Also, keeps us informed. I love Wolf3D games but I especially like them when based on something other than WWII.

Good luck. Smile

PS: Get a Youtube video up! Razz
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:04 am

*FINALLY* a new mod/modder with a more original approach and screenshots that actually tell something. This looks like a fine send-up to 'Halls of Stonehenge'... The gray BJ certainly works out well.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:30 am

That is a big ass shotgun! Mr Green Agreed with the rest that this looks very interesting, and as Thomas said it's always nice to see a new modder with a more original approach. Looking forward to this one! Smile
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:23 am

Per-Scn wrote:
This looks great so far. I really like the aesthetic of the grayscale with splashes of colour. A really nice way to convey atmosphere with a limited palette.

What kind of music are you planning? Ambient, eerie stuff or more emo-ish rock? Just curious. Smile

Also, keeps us informed. I love Wolf3D games but I especially like them when based on something other than WWII.

Good luck. Smile

PS: Get a Youtube video up! Razz

Definitely not emo-ish rock. I plan on doing mostly ambient music in the style of Quake and/or Doom for Sega Saturn Smile

I too really like Wolf3d games that stray from the usual WWII theme--mods like Frayed, Halls of Stonehenge, Absence, Sensenmann and Medieval resonate with me. I also think it is a much greater challenge to make a good non-WWII themed Wolfenstein mod.

Per-Scn wrote:
*FINALLY* a new mod/modder with a more original approach and screenshots that actually tell something. This looks like a fine send-up to 'Halls of Stonehenge'... The gray BJ certainly works out well.

Thanks Thomas. Yeah, Halls of Stonehenge was one of the first Wolfenstein mods I played that I actually really got into. It had a lot of atmosphere and I liked the use of graphics from Blood, which, in my opinion, is an underrated game.

Per-Scn wrote:
That is a big ass shotgun! Agreed with the rest that this looks very interesting, and as Thomas said it's always nice to see a new modder with a more original approach. Looking forward to this one! Smile

::laughs:: Yeah, that is a "big ass" shotgun... it takes up like a fourth of the screen when you cock it. I definitely plan on scaling it down.

Anyway more news to come shortly. Thanks for the comments guys!

Very Happy

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 100
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:26 am

Looks very interesting, and promicing.
There is a sense of modding taste to it, and it's very impressive for a new modder. If this is your start - sky is the limit.
Nice use of Heretc, Hexen, Blood (etc) art.
Very nice set of weapons.

Your approach does remind me Richter Belmont.

On the downside - I personally don't get the "feel" of mods that mix ancient art and artifacts - with modern combat firearms and weapons. I prefer more theme consistency.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:19 am

Looks really good Smile

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 am

doomjedi wrote:
Looks very interesting, and promicing.
There is a sense of modding taste to it, and it's very impressive for a new modder. If this is your start - sky is the limit.
Nice use of Heretc, Hexen, Blood (etc) art.
Very nice set of weapons.

Your approach does remind me Richter Belmont.

On the downside - I personally don't get the "feel" of mods that mix ancient art and artifacts - with modern combat firearms and weapons. I prefer more theme consistency.

I understand what you mean about games that mesh ancient artifacts with modern combat firearms. But if it blends with both the setting and the story of the game, I think having a combination of the two can work well. For instance, I didn't feel like the 'Soulcube' in Doom 3 was out of place (even though all your other weapons were futuristic firearms) and part of the reason why is because there was a story behind the Soulcube and it had a purpose for being the game. Blood was another game that used a combination of firearms and occult-related weapons (voodoo doll and the life-leecher) where, honestly for me, it didn't bother me and it didn't really feel out of place. If occult items and magical weapons were in a game like, let's say, Call of Duty or Counterstrike, then it would feel like they are out of place.

On another note, I am not really sure how to take your comment about Richter Belmont. What exactly about my approach reminds you of him? Is it because he uses Hexen/Heretic/Doom graphics? Bare in mind I don't know very much about Richter Belmont and his games--I've only played the first couple of levels of Project X (I couldn't really get into it), and that was a while ago.

DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:48 am

Didn't play "Doom 3" so I don't know.

"Blood" used firearms and magic, but it used "old firearms", both in look and feel, that felt more like "pirates flaregun" than modern "Call of Duty" firearms, so it indeed felt ok.
M16 is just....too much, at least for me, IMHO. It's too "Call of Duty". The gap between M16 and magic is too much.

Quote:
On another note, I am not really sure how to take your comment about Richter Belmont.

That was general comment, with no subtext.

Quote:
What exactly about my approach reminds you of him?

Spider web, donnow Smile Large set of modern weapons, wide straight corridors (mapping style)....

Quote:
Is it because he uses Hexen/Heretic/Doom graphics?

Maybe Smile He had his "Lost World" series with the art.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:45 am

Quote:
I understand what you mean about games that mesh ancient artifacts with modern combat firearms.

It all depends on story and context for me. Wink
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:00 am

Those screenies do look neat. Has an overall Halls of Stonehenge meets The Orb of Dilaaria kind of feeling to me.

Humble advise from a fellow wolfer in case you'd like to hear it: pay utmost attention to the mapping aspect. Nowadays it's probably the component of a mod that will ultimately decide whether what you release is to others' liking or not, regardless of how cute your contribution looks/feels in all other aspects.

Cheers!

Ariel

I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:33 am

Arielus wrote:
Those screenies do look neat. Has an overall Halls of Stonehenge meets The Orb of Dilaaria kind of feeling to me.

Humble advise from a fellow wolfer in case you'd like to hear it: pay utmost attention to the mapping aspect. Nowadays it's probably the component of a mod that will ultimately decide whether what you release is to others' liking or not, regardless of how cute your contribution looks/feels in all other aspects.

Cheers!

Ariel

Yeah, level-design definitely makes or breaks a game (boring, linear-levels is why I don't like a lot of modern First Person Shooters). The levels in my screenshots are by all means not anywhere close to complete as the game is still in its rudimentary stage and I've been doing everything myself (with the aid of tutorials and modding resource sites/tools of course). I just wanted to exhibit what little I have completed so far and gather input. Thanks for the advice Smile

I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:38 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Quote:
I understand what you mean about games that mesh ancient artifacts with modern combat firearms.

It all depends on story and context for me. Wink

Completely agree Ron.

I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:43 am

Quote:
"Blood" used firearms and magic, but it used "old firearms", both in look and feel, that felt more like "pirates flaregun" than modern "Call of Duty" firearms, so it indeed felt ok.
M16 is just....too much, at least for me, IMHO. It's too "Call of Duty". The gap between M16 and magic is too much.

But the gap between a Napalm Launcher and a Voodoo Doll (both weapons from Blood) isn't too much?

DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:19 pm

It wasn't modern-feel launcher....it was all in a "steampunk" feel, which fits the mod.

M16 is a particular weapon (used it in the army myself), from a particular era, which makes it more realistic.
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:51 pm

doomjedi wrote:
It wasn't modern-feel launcher....it was all in a "steampunk" feel, which fits the mod.

M16 is a particular weapon (used it in the army myself), from a particular era, which makes it more realistic.

Yeah, my dad was in the military and he used one.

What it boils down to is context/storyline -- what Ron mentioned. There's a logical reason for M16s in my game. The cultists on this island regularly engage in arms trafficking--they're also pirates who loot arms vessels and supply ships; plus you arrive (or crash rather) on this island with a contingent of military personnel, who are armed with M16s. I don't think it's that far fetched. Confused

As long as there is a good reason for why something is in a game (aside from it merely just being cool and flashy), I don't think it really matters. Everything I am putting in this mod has a story behind it and a good reason for being there.

I think your reason for not liking the M16, and please correct me if I am wrong, has more to do with aesthetics. If that's the case, what would you recommend to replace the M16? Smile

DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:49 pm

I'd prefer less recognizable weapons, with more general look.
But this is too long converstation to how non-critical this really is.
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:01 pm

This looks pretty freakin' awesome..

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Love the style of this! I'm in the opposite camp to doomjedi in that I love gonzo mashup settings that take disparate and jarring elements and try to make them mesh, so M16s with magic spells sounds far more awesome than having one or the other. Shrug.

Also I see some nice touches with the mapping (especially in that first screenshot with the dark floor / lighted lamp) which make me think this is gon' be sweet.

Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Yes, this is as juicy as anything, and it's brand new. Effin' love it. And @ThunderEnema, I dig that signature so much. Beer
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:29 pm

I actually tested out some of the maps a while back: Good stuff... Challenging and very creative.

@ThunderEnema: Those screenshots really look amazing and I can't wait to play your next release, whether a demo or full version. Smile

And don't fret on DoomJedi's comments. Remember this is YOUR project and that means there will be people that say "I would do it differently"... Well that's them and they're not making YOUR game. Frankly your ideas are good, have been used in various games as you pointed out, I wouldn't change such things to appease a few people who act like their ideas are better.
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:38 pm

doomjedi wrote:
I'd prefer less recognizable weapons, with more general look.
But this is too long converstation to how non-critical this really is.

Well, sorry if you felt the conversation dragged on. I am the kind of person where I like to know how/why someone arrived at their opinion, so that's why I was probing you. I hope I didn't make you feel slighted. I genuinely appreciate your input. Smile

Having less recognizable weapons is a consideration, but if I did decide to go that route, I would need to invoke the skills of someone who is actually a graphic's artist *hint, hint* Very Happy

I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Hair Machine wrote:
Love the style of this! I'm in the opposite camp to doomjedi in that I love gonzo mashup settings that take disparate and jarring elements and try to make them mesh, so M16s with magic spells sounds far more awesome than having one or the other. Shrug.

Also I see some nice touches with the mapping (especially in that first screenshot with the dark floor / lighted lamp) which make me think this is gon' be sweet.

I like the whole "gonzo mashup" element too if it fits the storyline/environment of the game, Blood and Rise of the Triad are two immediate examples of games that combined firearms w/magic that I really enjoyed, and I think combined the two elements in a way that didn't feel out of place.

Glad you liked that first screenshot. Lighting/Shading is a really difficult aspect of Wolfenstein modding as the engine doesn't exactly allow for dynamic lighting (like in Doom and later FPS games), even with WL_Shade.cpp. Therefore, I've had to rely on being creative to try to emulate dynamic lighting the best I can with the stringent limitations of the Wolfenstein engine. Sad

I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:58 pm

@Thomas: Thanks for your kind remarks. I hope the completed project does not disappoint. Smile

@Soldat555: As always, thanks for your support my friend. I am not fretting about DoomJedi's comments. Smile I just really wanted to know why he thought what he did. Truth be told, he's been doing this much longer than I have, so, I will, at the very least, put his perspectives into consideration.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 97
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:24 pm

This look Very interesting....I really Love what you have done here..I can't Wait to Give this a Try when it comes out...sides i have other things to Worry about Like Project: X 2 (or Project: X Insurrection)

Your Look to the mod does kinda Look like My Apporch Laughing Thanks Doomjedi

https://www.facebook.com/RichterBelmont123

https://twitter.com/Richterbelmont6
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Thank you for the respect you're giving me.

And again, read my first post - there is much more positive feedback in it that "I'd do it another way" nitpicks Smile
It's your mod and you gotta make it your way. My first mod was against everything people said to me I should do.

Indeed, I have my style in mods...but that's just me.
Ipank7000
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
indonesia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 am
   Subject: Announcing: Beyond the Grave

It looks impressive, i can't wait to try when it comes out. Smile
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:09 am

Are the Cultist in a higher resolution than 64x64? They look really good compared to what I usually see.

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:33 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

@Gerolf: Yes, they're in 128x128. I extracted them directly from one of the Blood Tile.art files and painted their face out and added the red eyes. I have three different variants of them in my game, each wielding a different weapon--the brown ones use M16s, the black ones use shotguns, and the white/grayish ones are snipers (their behavior is very much identical to the Snipers in Castle Totenkopf SDL).

@Ipank7000: I hope it lives up to its expectations, and it does not disappoint Smile

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 8 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: