DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Beyond the Grave [NOW RELEASED]
Page 8 of 10 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:35 am
   Subject: Re: Beyond the Grave [NOW RELEASED]
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Yeah, this looks pretty great. Got its own unique atmosphere. And it looks like I'm not the only one to ever consider using door side textures for floor and ceiling too! Props to whoever came up with that particular idea, I'm sure it will look better than the usual approach, or lack thereof. Especially on doors that link two different-looking rooms.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:32 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Military wrote:
And it looks like I'm not the only one to ever consider using door side textures for floor and ceiling too! Props to whoever came up with that particular idea,
The first time I saw it demonstrated was in Orb Of Dilaaria.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:30 pm

Dark, dreary, oozing with atmosphere!
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 4
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Just a quick update... Beyond the Grave now has a facebook page as well as some new promotional artwork done by friend Jesse Stevens:

BEYOND THE GRAVE FACEBOOK PAGE

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:16 am

Wow, those look fantastic!
Atina
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 3

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:17 am

Pretty nice artwork. I like the theme and the dark western stuff. Been a while since i watched Clint Eastwood or Django but more like that is always cool =p
Just i have a issue with it. Each time i see screenshots it screams identity crisis at me. It literally yells "Hey I'm Hexen and Blood" and i'm not sure if it can shake off those boundaries.

Anyways, looking forward to try it
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:16 am
   Subject: Beyond the Grave [OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE - October 31]

Atina,

I completely get where you are coming from. I feel the same way about the project seeming to have an identity crisis, especially after looking at a lot of the older screenshots from years ago, back when I wasn't completely certain on what direction I was taking the project. It wasn't until a couple years ago that I started having a more concrete vision for the project. In hindsight, I really should have refrained from posting anything about the project until my vision was more grounded.

Quote:
It literally yells "Hey I'm Hexen and Blood

I get why you think that, but the fact is: this is a mod (one could argue that it is a total conversation) and not an original video game. Modders borrow/modify from other game sources and as a result their projects encapsulate a lot of the same feeling/aesthetic as the original game sources. Is there something about using Heretic/Hexen-based textures/sprites with Blood-based textures/sprites that you don't like? I am completely open to constructive criticism.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:38 am

The issue is not using art from other games, we all do that.

It's just that some games/art are more recognizable/overused than others and that make the mod to look like a new mappack for the old game. That's why I try to use art from less known shooters (In Pursiut of Greed, Daggerfall, ShadowCaster, Rise of the Triad, Witchaven, even Redneck and other rare build games can fit...). Yes, Hexen is less overused than Doom (pretty much no-no in TCs), but still.
Especially inconsistent often looks a mix from Build Engine with Doom engine game, different resolution, art style. Sprity look vs. realistic.

Another thing is the amount each mod presents in your creation. Using only 2 main inspirations makes it hard to set a unique TC setting, you feel most of the time either in Blood or in Hexen (on the other hand, the more sources you use, the more artistic inconsistency can become).
So the best way IMHO is to use art from a few games mixed with your own art or edited/heavy edited art from other games, something to make them looking more unique and fitting for your particular mod.
But that is a challenge in hi-res mods, that's the main reason I keep working on 64x64 (beside "classic look"). It gives me ability to make new art and art variants/animations that make my mod/TC look more unique, without prolonging the development for years. You can see that none of my TC felt like a mappack of famous game. Yes, alot of new art from scratch, but on 64x64 it's more doable

Especially weapons set a very big feel of which game it's based on.
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:11 am

I appreciate the input Doomjedi. Your insight is helpful. Unfortunately, I am at a point in the project where I canít invest very much time into giving it an artistic make-over (it does not help that graphics/art is not my strong suit) but I will remember your advice for a later improved version of BTG and/or a new project.

DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:40 am

You're welcome Smile

And as I wrote on recent days on the other forum, much anticipate this mod, I respect how patient you are with the mod, you do take modding seriously and try to do quality mods.
Screens are impressive, your dedication to this project as well.
Atina
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:07 am

I know what you mean with being uncertain about the direction. I have several projects that got redesigned or lost in madness. At this point it wouldn't make sense to change all anyways =p

It's a mod and a total conversion. How to say it... Some of what Doomjedi already explained. The mods of Madwolf are a close example with similar style and have lots of borrowed resources but they have still their own identity somewhere. It's not really something so bad. I like Hexen and i like Blood even more. But being reminded of Blood/Hexen on each step while also being something like Blood (Darkwatch, Dark Tower movie) concept wise (gunslinger, cults, western, especially after the new artwork) makes it also stay more likely in the shadow of them instead of making own new impressions or memories.

There are plenty of inofficial Django sequels or also Sartana movies as the main character of BTG is called like that ><
Some are better, some are worse, some are basically same, some even copy movie scenes from the original. But in the end they are all linked to the original.

I probably gonna like the mod quite some since it's exactly what i would like as a shooter...fantasy, horror, gothic, western
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:50 am

I appreciate the criticism Atina. You brought up some valid points. Yes Madwolf does have his own distinct style in his mods despite borrowing many resources from other sources. But, unlike me, Madwolf is an artist, so he can manipulate textures and sprites in ways I cannot, so I have to work within the limits of my abilities.

And yes I have seen quite a few of those Sartana and Django unofficial sequels. Most of them are terrible and not always in a ďso terrible, itís funnyĒ kind of way either. But quite a few of them are entertaining to watch. I purposefully named the character Sartana as an homage. There are quite a few easter eggs in the game that involve old western and horror references.

On another note, my beta testers have pointed out aspects of the game that give the game its own identity. Hopefully, in playing it, you see that.

Again, I appreciate the insights you and Doomjedi have given. Thank you!

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:36 pm

My main issue with using graphics from other mods is that they're *not* made with the Wolf3D palette in mind, and even with major "cosmetic surgery", the distorted use of colors in the Wolf3D palette still shows. It's usually a bit obvious that the images were made with a different palette than the one the game is using.

I worked around this with many images by loading the graphics with their original palette, changing to the Wolf3D palette without converting any of the image's colors, saving it to a BMP file, and then running the file through RecolorBMP. But this process is very tedious and time-consuming. And when you deal with rotating enemy sprites, it starts to become downright impractical.

I think it's safe to say that - when using graphics from another game in your mod - it will usually be obvious as long as the Wolf3D palette is used. And some people are more content with that fact than others.
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:00 pm

I agree Tricob; that is why I didnít use the wolf3d palette for BTG. I used the Doom palette, with some modifications made to better suit some
of the build engine resources.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:26 pm

I was never 100% happy with the palettes I browsed through, so I went and made my own. I haven't posted it anywhere yet, but anyone who's interested can always PM me for a BMP file and ChaosEdit file of it. Smile
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:03 am

I like that the graphics are reminiscent of those games (Hexen, Quake, Blood) but knowing everything is going to be re-used in new ways that aren't making the overall experience predictable (because it will not play like Hexen, Quake or Blood).
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 pm

I won't disclose any specific details, but the game definitely doesn't play like Hexen, Blood or Quake... there might, of course, be similarities, but it's not a carbon copy despite me borrowing/modifying from those three games. Thanks for the comment Cyanosis. Smile

I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:55 am
   Subject: Beyond the Grave [OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE - October 31]

Beyond the Grave Version 1.00 is finally complete. You can get it here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/tj1w8qbd4mzqkus/BTG_V1.00.zip

I have also updated the very first post on this thread to include updated information as well as the link above.

Last edited by ThunderEnema on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:18 am; edited 5 times in total
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:13 am

Great news, will play Smile
Congrats for this epic effort, respect the patience and dedication.

Now you can plan out your next mod Smile

Not too many mods are released recently in the community and I begun to worry. I hope more mods will get made soon.
Atina
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:53 am

I played a few levels and so far it's still quite "Blood" like. The first level feels kinda like being too close to Blood for its own good. From the references to the ideas. It takes also the fun out of some references / easter eggs if you put exactly same ones as in Blood (sprite/sounds). For example the the Friday the 13th "cha cha" sound or the Draven grave sprite. The Django tombstone was fun to see.

The enemies are also kinda too close to Blood. Especially the robed cultists. They have quite fast reaction and shooting time. They also have incredible
high accuracy (and damage) like in Blood. The hitscan enemies were already in Blood something that many people hated just that you had equal chances there.

Here I had problems often to wait for a door to fully open while being shot or being shot around corners in light speed. Maybe it's just me but the difficulty increases quite after the first level. Maybe too much Rambo style of me. I also didn't have a gun at start of level 2 while the game throws several shooting enemies at you if you take the wrong turn.

Some notes:
- On top in windowed mode it still says "Wolfenstein 3D"
- If you play in bigger screen size and get the level end screen it writes score number on a non-visible statusbar
- 960x600 resolution crashes the game in the control menu
- 960x600 also crashes in the game in level 2 at the start if you turn towards the candle (i switched to 640x400 after)
- Graphics have mixed resolutions due to resizing
- In the maze of level 1 one corner is invisibly blocked for the player until an enemy is triggered
- In level 3 or 4? i couldn't walk onto the conveyor with the furnace to burn myself ><
- Maybe my impression but there seem to be quite few rooms without real reward and just enemies to damage the player
- Picking up important items with "use key" from floors/corpses is something i really don't like
- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly sound when picking up rage item feels out of place

Besides that i had fun so far with it. Some things are bit rough. Graphically it seems to blend together for most of the time. The levels so far are nicely designed and look quite pretty at times. The atmosphere is medium. Not as dark as i thought it will be according to the screens. The weapons feel more less solid and it's fun running around shooting stuff when i'm not about to die >< I liked especially how the forest, the water pond and the bridge look like. Also nice to hear "Woodoo/Zombi 2/Zombie Flesh Eaters" theme again (on level 2).
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:36 am

I appreciate the feedback Atina.

I should have made a note somewhere that the game is not meant to be played on resolutions other than 640x480(400). Maybe in an updated version, I will make it compatible with higher resolutions. What corner on level 1 are you talking about specifically? I donít recall running into that issue.

Bring 'em On

Topics: 9
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:55 am

Great to see that this has been released! Sartana is Beyond the Grave!

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:52 pm

Congrats on the release, ThunderEnema! Smile
Atina
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:13 pm

ThunderEnema wrote:
What corner on level 1 are you talking about specifically?

It's a bit after the water spring. The enemy blocks the path until it's triggered by something. While looking where it was i found another spot in 2nd screen. This one is directly after entering maze and taking the left turn. That one blocked me half the time, the other half it spawned. While standing there i noticed that kicking them also activates the zombies under earth.
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:58 pm

Many congrats on your modding debut, ThunderEnema (and congrats to everyone else that had a participation in the project as well).

Best,

Ariel

DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:06 am

I'm only on level 2, and in general waiting to play more to give a more generalized feedback.
But as a modder who released mods in the past, I know how impatiently a modder (and new one especially) is waiting for feedbacks.

So I'll tell my impressions so far.

Impressive modding debut, no doubt, alot of work and thought was put into it and it shows. I love play mods by new modders, it's like visiting a new "mind" and exploring it in mod's style, feeling.
So it's interesting to play despite the downsides already listed here. I'm having fun of exploration.
In general I agree with Atina feedback so far, it seems to represent the mod fairy well.

I think 64x64 would be a better choice to start from to introduce to us more of yourself.
Hires mods limit the amount of manual editing/unique edits a modder puts in, and that's is important in a mod, to have some new art and edits of "too familiar" art variants to give them a more unique look and to "bring them" into your mod, trying to make the mod to feel like a unique world and not a mix of already familiar games/worlds. Even small edits sometimes do alot.
Unless you're a very experienced spriter, in hires mod you fully depend on art from other games and that limits you by much and affect the overall feel of the mod a you use alot of art "as is". Also some do not convert well to the palette of the mod and lose alof of colors/details. When I need to do this - I do alot of manual recoloring later to return to the sprite its lost beauty and colors.
Art from Wolf3D-type games looks much sharper and detailed in Wolf3D mods as it's was made for those resolutions...you can't simply scale down Build-engine art and make it look good in Wolf3D - without hard additional effort that is not worth for most cases. Some of scenery even hard to recognize for what it represents.

First level feels like a Blood level and not a new world/mod, second one looks too Heretic/Hexen...
So far skill level is very hard, enemies give you so much damage even on easy skills, health is rare...

The mod is fun, I enjoy it, nice pacing, fast and dangerous enemies. Nice ideas, loved the look of the bridge, love the blood scavenging. Melee machete fights are fun and a nice change of usual Wolf3D pace, but feel a bit unfair at times (look at latest Castlevania Doom TC to see how to do it well for melee weapons), still very much fun.
Area sounds would fit such engine much and make it more immersive, like area sound for a fountain.

Mod fails to feel like a world of its own, mix of a few known worlds doesn't create some new place that feels unique.
But gameplay itself is fun, you have alot of modding potential, I enjoy explorations, discovery, challenge, new ideas.
quartzdoll
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 1

india.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 pm

actually game sounded and viewed like Hexen 1.0 for me. i like the calmness and sound effects in the game. just played level 1 for 10 minutes. did not save the game though. i oppose others opinion here.
game did not crash for me at 1920 x 1080 resolution that is my monitor's default resolution.
definitely game felt like new place and atmosphere. but i reminded some forgotten game on watching those corpses rise and tried to kill us.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Congrats on the release!
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:32 pm
   Subject: Beyond the Grave [NOW RELEASED]

I value your insight Doomjedi (especially given your resume and your reputation). I usually appreciate honest, constructive criticism (even if I disagree with some of it) more than compliments (that is not to say that I don't appreciate compliments) as that type of feedback is what helps a person grow.

Quote:
I think 64x64 would be a better choice to start from to introduce to us more of yourself.
Hires mods limit the amount of manual editing/unique edits a modder puts in, and that's is important in a mod, to have some new art and edits of "too familiar" art variants to give them a more unique look and to "bring them" into your mod, trying to make the mod to feel like a unique world and not a mix of already familiar games/worlds. Even small edits sometimes do alot.
Unless you're a very experienced spriter, in hires mod you fully depend on art from other games and that limits you by much and affect the overall feel of the mod a you use alot of art "as is". Also some do not convert well to the palette of the mod and lose alof of colors/details. When I need to do this - I do alot of manual recoloring later to return to the sprite its lost beauty and colors.
Art from Wolf3D-type games looks much sharper and detailed in Wolf3D mods as it's was made for those resolutions...you can't simply scale down Build-engine art and make it look good in Wolf3D - without hard additional effort that is not worth for most cases. Some of scenery even hard to recognize for what it represents.

I pondered doing 64x64 and I probably should have (when I first started this project way back in 2012, it was originally going to be a dos mod, until Madwolf introduced me to SDL and using high res). But by the time I mentioned BTG on this forum, I had already invested a lot of time and effort into implementing high res sprites and textures in the game, so it just wasn't worth scraping hours of work just to go back to using 64x64. Maybe in a future project, I will use 64x64.

Quote:
First level feels like a Blood level and not a new world/mod, second one looks too Heretic/Hexen...
So far skill level is very hard, enemies give you so much damage even on easy skills, health is rare...

I've had mixed reviews about this; some people think it's too hard, others not so much. I guess it just depends on personal preferences, how good you are at playing these types of games or how willing you are to practice getting good (assuming you like the game that much). I'm still waiting to get more feedback on this. If it's TOO hard for a large majority of players then I might consider revising for v1.01.

As far as it feeling like Blood, I can see why you and Atina (and hardcore Blood and Heretic/Hexen fans) might think that--the game is to some extent an homage to my two favorite first person games: Heretic and Blood. I do emulate both of those games with some of the features in the game. However, Gerolf and I have noticed that most people playing this game so far, fall into 2 camps: 1. they have not played a classic first person shooter in a very long time, so the game feels very nostalgic to them; and 2. they are a lot more familiar with Doom and Quake and not so much Blood and Hexen, so for them, the game feels different. I really went out of my way to limit the amount of Doom resources I used for this game.

Quote:
Melee machete fights are fun and a nice change of usual Wolf3D pace, but feel a bit unfair at times (look at latest Castlevania Doom TC to see how to do it well for melee weapons), still very much fun.

You're really only using melee weapons to any great extent on the first level, which is why I didn't put a lot of extra work into refining the melee-system. I was going to make the machete act similar to the weapons in Witchaven (I did take a page out of Witchaven though by making the machete breakable), but I just didn't feel that it was worth it given how little melee weapons would be used after acquiring guns.

Quote:
Mod fails to feel like a world of its own, mix of a few known worlds doesn't create some new place that feels unique.

I completely understand where you are coming from. But as I said in an earlier post, I am not an artist (I am sure there is an aspect or aspects of modding you are not good at be it mapping, coding, etc.); graphics are just something I am not good at working with, so I had to work around my limitations; I didn't have a Team Raycast working with me. Smile

Also, as I said before, there's quite a few people not as familiar with Blood and Hexen as you are, so for them it feels different.

I am Death Incarnate

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:41 pm
   Subject: Beyond the Grave [NOW RELEASED]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Beyond the Grave is now available for download on MODDB:

www.moddb.com/mods/beyond-the-grave

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 8 of 10 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Jump to: