DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Operation Serpent RELEASED
Page 1 of 9 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:37 pm
   Subject: Operation Serpent RELEASED
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Download (27.2 MB)
Lossless HQ music pack (202.8 MB)
Updated to 0.99.1 on 1/17 to fix an incorrect sprite for the chandelier. Please redownload if you downloaded Operation Serpent before this date. Saved games will be fully compatible.

To install:

STEAM WOLF3D
1. Install Wolfenstein 3D from Steam to your DEFAULT Steam directory.
2. Unzip ECWolf, either 1.3.2 or a recent dev build, into a folder of your choice.
3. Unzip the contents of the Operation Serpent zip file into your ECWolf folder.
4. Either drag and drop the pk3 onto ecwolf.exe, or open the command prompt and type "ecwolf --file serpent1.pk3" and hit enter. For the HQ music, use the command prompt and type "ecwolf --file serpent1.pk3 serpent-hqmus.pk3". ECWolf should auto-detect Steam Wolfenstein 3D and launch immediately.

ORIGINAL RETAIL/REGISTERED WOLF3D
1. Install Wolfenstein 3D from diskettes or CD (or piracy, whatever) into a folder of your choice.
2. Run Blzut3's patcher to ensure your copy is the most up to date variant of v1.4. This is a MUST for Apogee-distributed versions, they will not work otherwise!
3. Unzip ECWolf as above, but into the same folder as your Wolfenstein data files.
3. Unzip the contents of the Operation Serpent zip file into your ECWolf folder.
4. Either drag and drop the pk3 onto ecwolf.exe, or open the command prompt and type "ecwolf --file serpent1.pk3" and hit enter. For the HQ music, use the command prompt and type "ecwolf --file serpent1.pk3 serpent-hqmus.pk3".

Three years in the making, my magnum opus is done!

My ninth Wolfenstein mod and fourth ECWolf mod, Operation Serpent is set in the year 1989, in the fictional central American country of San Salvación, just to the south of Mexico's Yucatán peninsula. A breakaway state from Mexico, San Salvación has been gripped by civil war and ethnic conflict since the 1950s. Frequently changing alignment between the Western and Eastern Blocs, and riven by tensions between the white "creole" elite and the mestizo and Native American majority, San Salvación is one of the most unstable and dangerous places on earth.

In 1988, San Salvacion fell into the hands of the fascist, white supremacist National Liberation Party, who have begun a campaign of genocide against their opponents. If that wasn't bad enough, rumor has it that thousands of dissidents, Communists, and "ethnic undesirables" have been delivered to the escaped Nazi war criminal Dr. Joachim Mörder, a biologist who experimented on prisoners in the Chelmno extermination camp in 1944. These prisoners have supposedly been used for genetic experiments that have turned some of them into super-soldiers and hideous monsters, stripped of their free will and mindlessly obedient of the fascist Salvaciano government.

You are Maria Cortez, a Mexican-American spy sent in by the pan-American anti-fascist organization AAM to gather intelligence on the experiments taking place within the borders of San Salvación and, if possible, shut them down. The Black Hawk helicopter that took you into San Salvación has been shot down and you barely escaped with your life. Armed with nothing more than a knife and a Glock 17 pistol, you find yourself stranded in a hostile country, on the run from the Salvaciano army.

Operation Serpent is by far my most advanced and radical mod yet, featuring enormous levels and a host of ECWolf features never seen before, and a unique aesthetic inspired by the art and culture of the late 1980s, including an original '80s metal soundtrack composed by Bashe and Shane Strife and performed on real guitars. A hand-edited COLORMAP with gradient sky effects and fullbright colors, an all-new roster of enemies and weapons, and Doom-style weapon bobbing and hitscan attacks make Operation Serpent look and play like no other Wolfenstein mod. Though it has only eight levels, each of these levels is four to six times the length of a standard Wolfenstein level. A new player should take 6-8 hours to complete Operation Serpent.

Requires Wolfenstein 3D v1.4 and a recent dev build of ECWolf to play. AMD Phenom II CPU or better required for adequate performance (Intel Core i3 recommended) on the later maps.

Last edited by Executor on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:39 pm; edited 15 times in total
RichterBelmont12
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 98
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:54 pm
   Subject: Re: Operation Serpent RELEASED
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

now THAT looks Awesome I can't wait to give ECwolf a go in Modding.....Can't wait to give it a go

https://www.facebook.com/RichterBelmont123

https://twitter.com/Richterbelmont6
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 162

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:59 pm

Very original concept you've got going on here. I wish you all the best.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 76

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Always happy to see a Wolf3d mod without Nazi's. Looks and sounds very promising! Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 120
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:15 am

Looks promicing Smile Like the new palette Smile

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:56 am

My first thought: Doomguy wearing a blonde wig and lipstick looks quite odd. I'd rather kill him (her?) than the enemies.
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:39 am

Uhhh, I said in the first post that the player character is female, did i not?

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:19 am

Executor wrote:
Uhhh, I said in the first post that the player character is female, did i not?

Not sure what your point is. I clearly wrote "my first thought", and people usually look at the screenshots first. First thing that came to my mind was a singer/member from one of those emo "boy bands". If the looks of your main character don't mean anything as long as the "story" says it is so, why don't you just put a picture of a banana and call it a woman in the story?
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 am

Chris wrote:
why don't you just put a picture of a banana and call it a woman in the story?

Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 166
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:49 am

The screenies definitely do the trick. Whenever you use a different palette and a different face (not built from BJ) in the statusbar, I'm pretty sure it'll get people's attention every time. Smile
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 81
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Doom Guy with a blonde wig and lipstick? Just for you, Chris...Doomhilda!

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:31 pm

That's horrifying.

In other news, anyone who thinks the Wolfenstein dogs are too easy to kill will be in for a nasty surprise in Operation Serpent. I've redone the dog code, so they're extremely fast, do a lot of damage, and have 60 health.

DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Executor wrote:
That's horrifying.

In other news, anyone who thinks the Wolfenstein dogs are too easy to kill will be in for a nasty surprise in Operation Serpent. I've redone the dog code, so they're extremely fast, do a lot of damage, and have 60 health.

Really Now? hmmm. -Plans for a Resident Evil mod-

how many level this is going to have since its 180x180?

Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 81
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:23 pm

D did they do that for DHWTC? Those dogs tore me up!

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 76

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:09 pm

Executor wrote:

But now it's not a surprise anymore. Razz
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:16 am

How come it's always German police dogs? Why not great Danes - they're huge! It's like being attack by king-size ponies on acid or something.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:09 am

Thomas wrote:
How come it's always German police dogs? Why not great Danes - they're huge! It's like being attack by king-size ponies on acid or something.
If you have 8-directional scans of these, they might just make one of my mods. Too Cool
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:13 pm
   Subject: Re: Operation Serpent - first shots

I got mixed feelings about the news of this project... I'll start the bad to break spirits then get into the good stuff so you all say "Okay, that's not too horrible. At least he leaves us with the positives."
Executor wrote:
The face looks a bit too masculine for a female player, in my opinion. It looks a bit like a cross between Sigourney Weaver and Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7. Sorry.
Executor wrote:
* A new palette completely different from Wolfenstein's
* Massive 180x180 levels with expansive outdoor areas
* Doom-like weapon bobbing
* An array of deadly enemies, including soldiers, mechanized turrets, and inhuman monsters
* 6 weapons, including a fully functional shotgun, an AK-47 with burst fire, and a devastating FN Minimi machine gun
* Pulse-pounding heavy metal soundtrack composed by Shane Strife and performed with real instruments
180x180 levels? Is that really necessary? You can make levels complex with the 64x64 grid, take a look at Wolf3d's Episode 6. Aside from the larger level size, I don't see why this project needs a new engine as that other stuff can be pulled off with Wolf4SDL including the soundtrack as you can use Alumiun's Advanced Sound Manager for OGG/MP3 files.

GOODNESS
As much as people make fun of that face on the statusbar, myself included, it's awesome to see someone take the time and attempt at making a brand new faceset that represents a female character. The one in Mutant Strike 3 was good, and I do love the one I designed for BioWeapon and Tara Carmichael ( http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=6375 ), but they do feel a little too cartoonish/Wolfensteiny... No offense to Majik's hard work, I'm just saying I'm glad someone's put time into making something new with an attempted more realistic look. And as much as we joke this game takes place in the late 80s and as we all know, the whole makeup and hair look was pretty crazy back then.

I really like the graphic style of the environment, the statusbar, and that pistol, reminds me a bit of TheJosh's Lair Of The Mantis. That says a lot of your project as I was DYING to play that one. Smile
Executor wrote:
I think this will be a really cool feature in the mod and give it a pretty original element. Smile

Being a metalhead I love the idea for a metal soundtrack but hope you don't mind me asking "What kind of metal style are you going for? Kinda like the Quake II soundtrack, something more like Metallica, or maybe you'll want more like the 80s ear and play something more like the sound of Judas Priest or Iron Maiden?" There's a whole variety to the styles of metal, I can't to find out what kind you'll do. Smile

Thomas wrote:
I can think of 2 reasons: First, German Shepherds are very intelligent, strong, loyal, and because of their protective nature as well as their abilities to train, they make excellent guard dogs. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_shepherds ) Second, I've noticed people don't much like designing their own enemy sprites from scratch, often they use something as a base to edit. Although they are Doberman sprites in some mods that can be used as a very good base, Great Danes are significantly larger and I can't picture anyone taking that much time to blow the sprites up say 200% and make them look good. Besides, if someone saw a Great Dane in a game like Wolf3d they'd probably say something above the lines of "I have to kill Scooby Doo/Astro/Marmaduke? WTF?!?!" Very Happy lol

Although I too think it'd be cool to have to do deal with a Pit Bull, Rottweiler, or something else that isn't the same old German Shephard sprites.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Soldat 555 wrote:
Besides, if someone saw a Great Dane in a game like Wolf3d they'd probably say something above the lines of "I have to kill Scooby Doo/Astro/Marmaduke? WTF?!?!" Very Happy lol

Lol... Too right! Laughing
RichterBelmont12
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Soldat 555 wrote:

Executor wrote:
The face looks a bit too masculine for a female player, in my opinion. It looks a bit like a cross between Sigourney Weaver and Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7. Sorry.

The Face kinda Reminds me of Samus in my eyes lol Awesome BTW...Hmm a Metroid Mod for ECWolf....

Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:12 pm

Quote:

Got a better one? Xaser's PsyGirl is the best one I've seen so far (although the conversion from Doom's palette to Operation Serpent's didn't flatter her very much).
Quote:
180x180 levels? Is that really necessary? You can make levels complex with the 64x64 grid, take a look at Wolf3d's Episode 6.

I know exactly how complex 64x64 maps are, I made Wolfenstein Sextilogy 3, which pretty much pushes the limit of 64x64. It's not just complexity--a lot of Operation Serpent will be outdoors. There will be great distances to cover, and you'll be able to do things like explore an entire small town.

Quote:
Aside from the larger level size, I don't see why this project needs a new engine as that other stuff can be pulled off with Wolf4SDL including the soundtrack as you can use Alumiun's Advanced Sound Manager for OGG/MP3 files.

ECWolf already exists. It does all the things I said it could do, except at this moment OGG files. Why should I build a custom implementation of Wolf4SDL, with all the coding hassle, when ECWolf does all of those things natively, allowing me to fit the entire mod on a single pk3? I'm sick of hard-coded AI and actors. I'm sick of code tutorials. I'm sick of compiling a custom exe that will not work with anything else. ECWolf makes all that obsolete.

Quote:
I really like the graphic style of the environment, the statusbar, and that pistol, reminds me a bit of TheJosh's Lair Of The Mantis. That says a lot of your project as I was DYING to play that one. Smile

Thanks. The status bar face was drawn by Xaser but I personally drew the status bar itself. I have a second one lined up for when armor and SBARINFO is implemented but that will likely have to wait for Second Encounter.

I will respond to the rest a bit later when I have time.
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Soldat 555 wrote:
Being a metalhead I love the idea for a metal soundtrack but hope you don't mind me asking "What kind of metal style are you going for? Kinda like the Quake II soundtrack, something more like Metallica, or maybe you'll want more like the 80s ear and play something more like the sound of Judas Priest or Iron Maiden?" There's a whole variety to the styles of metal, I can't to find out what kind you'll do. Smile

The composer is going for an '80s thrash/power/speed metal sound. Basically imagine if Forbidden, Painkiller-era Priest, and Sanctuary got in bed together, this what would result.

Quote:
Although I too think it'd be cool to have to do deal with a Pit Bull, Rottweiler, or something else that isn't the same old German Shephard sprites.

The current dog sprites are the Dobermans from the Spear Lost Episodes. Wolfenstein Sextilogy and the ECWolf Tech Demo had Rottweilers though.
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:21 pm

Executor wrote:
Got a better one? Xaser's PsyGirl is the best one I've seen so far (although the conversion from Doom's palette to Operation Serpent's didn't flatter her very much).
I wrote:
As much as people make fun of that face on the statusbar, myself included, it's awesome to see someone take the time and attempt at making a brand new faceset that represents a female character. The one in Mutant Strike 3 was good, and I do love the one I designed for BioWeapon and Tara Carmichael ( http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=6375 ), but they do feel a little too cartoonish/Wolfensteiny...

XASER'S PSYGIRL
Yes, looks pretty good with that Doom palette...

MAD WOLF'S FEMALE FACE
Looks a bit cartoonish but I designed her from scratch, not an edit or resizing of another face...

MAJIK MONKEE'S OMS3 FACE
Personally I think this is the best looking one but it could use more variance in the animation...

The screenshot you shown...

And yeah, she looked good in Doom but from the looks of things her face had been resized to fit your statusbar and as you mentioned, your palette changed how her face looks so now the tone looks more latina which isn't a bad thing, your game takes place in Central America anyway, but that hair color looks God awful, she does look like some emo guy! My advice: Change her hair color to black or dark brown using PhotoShop and/or ChaosEdit to make her seem more latina. I'd change her eyes to brown too.

The sad thing... I actually thought you did that face from scratch and gave you credit. When you mentioned PsyGirl I did a google search and my admiration for the graphic work went down as you used someone's resource, it doesn't even look like you edited her face to look better in your palette. Sad
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Her face has not been resized. Her face has been stretched vertically by aspect correction, as it would be in Doom. Doom and Wolfenstein displayed in "mode 13h", where pixels are rectangular, not square. Most source ports (with the notable exception of unmodified Wolf4SDL) respect this and correct the proportions to the way they look in DOS.

And there was some editing. I recolored the hair a bit because it was originally absolutely annihilated by the palette swap, turning her hair a horrifying algae greenish color. I remapped it to a color range used in Operation Serpent normally for fire and things made of gold. It's not final, and probably will be tweaked in the future. As for skin tone, the entire brown range of the palette has been adjusted to that. Really, it looks a lot more like human skin than that garish orange-brown from the original game.

I am not a great artist. This is not really my strength. I'm primarily a mapper.

EDIT: Here, I worked on it a bit more, just for you:

Blzut3
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Soldat 555 wrote:
I don't see why this project needs a new engine as that other stuff can be pulled off with Wolf4SDL including the soundtrack as you can use Alumiun's Advanced Sound Manager for OGG/MP3 files.

You do realize that modifying the Wolf4SDL code is by definition creating a new engine? If it isn't, ECWolf is based of Wolf4SDL so it is a Wolf4SDL modification. Wink Also through ECWolf you get the ability to run the mod on any operating system instead of the one the author chooses to compile for. In the end this future proofs the mod, even if full backwards compatibility isn't a target at the moment (it will be from 2.x and forwards) since porting between versions will be a relatively simple process (I'll have a guide for each version). I could go on with features provided by ECWolf (aspect ratio correction is one which I don't think there's a tutorial for), but the most important point is users really should not have to work with the source code and in the long run having a feature filled port like ECWolf will help bring new people into the community.
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Executor wrote:
Her face has not been resized. Her face has been stretched vertically by aspect correction, as it would be in Doom. Doom and Wolfenstein displayed in "mode 13h", where pixels are rectangular, not square. Most source ports (with the notable exception of unmodified Wolf4SDL) respect this and correct the proportions to the way they look in DOS.

And there was some editing. I recolored the hair a bit because it was originally absolutely annihilated by the palette swap, turning her hair a horrifying algae greenish color. I remapped it to a color range used in Operation Serpent normally for fire and things made of gold. It's not final, and probably will be tweaked in the future.
Smile
Executor wrote:
As for skin tone, the entire brown range of the palette has been adjusted to that. Really, it looks a lot more like human skin than that garish orange-brown from the original game.
That actually depends on the person's actual skin tone, the shadows/darkness of the room, etc. My skin actually uses several shades of that color used in Wolf3d...

Executor wrote:
I am not a great artist. This is not really my strength. I'm primarily a mapper.

EDIT: Here, I worked on it a bit more, just for you:
I used to be like that, my first released games were mostly just new levels. But you put enough time, patience, trial and error into something and BOOM! You get better! Smile

Now I wasn't trying to argue with you or make you feel like dirt, I was merely giving examples and ideas of improvement. If you don't like that when showing off your WIP then fine, I'll keep silent and leave you to those saying "I'd rather kill her than my enemies." I didn't ask you to rework it, I suggested you do so because if it appears you did a crummy job with your character art, players like me won't take your game seriously and won't be interested in playing it.

Yes the new face does look a lot better, the dark skin/hair is a lot more fitting. It's your choice to decide to keep it, revert to how you had it originally, or go with something else. Not my mod and it was difficult trying to give friendly artistic advice so I really don't care, good luck.

Blzut3 wrote:
You do realize that modifying the Wolf4SDL code is by definition creating a new engine? If it isn't, ECWolf is based of Wolf4SDL so it is a Wolf4SDL modification. Wink Also through ECWolf you get the ability to run the mod on any operating system instead of the one the author chooses to compile for. In the end this future proofs the mod, even if full backwards compatibility isn't a target at the moment (it will be from 2.x and forwards) since porting between versions will be a relatively simple process (I'll have a guide for each version). I could go on with features provided by ECWolf (aspect ratio correction is one which I don't think there's a tutorial for), but the most important point is users really should not have to work with the source code and in the long run having a feature filled port like ECWolf will help bring new people into the community.

Man, when I released Frayed and Insanitarium no one asked nor complained the games were unplayable in Mac or Linux. As far as what I seen in the forum topic of Tricob having issues getting it to run and if I understand it clearly, you have to use WDC (Which crashes regularly on me, even when just exporting chunks) ECWolf seems more a hassle than what it's worth. I'll stick with good o' Wolf4SDL that stretches the statusbar across the screen or going fullscreen to flatout get rid of the statusbar. Smile
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:13 pm

ECWolf is designed to make things less of a hassle, because you don't have to edit the source code, the pk3s and wads are nice and tidy and much better to work with than wl6 files, and it doesn't interfere with registered Wolfenstein. If WDC doesn't work you can also use Havoc's editor for making levels; just select the checkbox to export in WDC format. Resource editing should be done in a wad editor like SLADE3, and works just like Doom editing. Everything is modular in ECWolf and you can even daisy-chain multiple wads/pk3s together if you want.

Tricob had issues running WDC because his VGAGRAPH had been corrupted by ChaosEdit (ChaosEdit in certain situations can write garbage to vgagraph.wl6 for a reason I forget). This will be fixed in v1.1 (it already is fixed in Mercurial development builds) and you should really leave the .wl6 and .sod files alone when modding for ECWolf much like you would not mess with doom2.wad when modding for ZDoom.

It's different, but once you get used to it it's much more convenient. It will get even better in the future as it becomes more mature, its feature set expands, and the editors catch up to Blzut3's new UWMF format. For 2.x and beyond, things will really get crazy. Imagine fighting through a city street with buildings all around, with Nazis pouring out of doors and sniping through windows. You enter the ground floor of an apartment block, take the elevator up to the third floor, shoot Nazis through the window, either at the street or across the street through the windows of the opposing building, and either riding the elevator back down or jumping out the window. Floor over floor. 3D environments. Scripting. Triggers. It will be out of this world.

Quote:
I used to be like that, my first released games were mostly just new levels. But you put enough time, patience, trial and error into something and BOOM! You get better!

I've made a lot of levels in my time, but now with the new tools at my disposal I want to branch out into more ambitious sorts of projects. However, I am not thejosh or doomjedi and likely never will be.

Quote:
Now I wasn't trying to argue with you or make you feel like dirt, I was merely giving examples and ideas of improvement.

Well I'm not really upset that much, I just wanted you to know where I was coming from, and that I am not new to Wolfenstein modding and I know what I'm doing. I wrote my first level in 1999.

Not to mention I had earlier dealt with someone who really was insulting, on the ZDoom forums:

leileilol wrote:
looks like Operation Bodycount had sex with Pie in the Sky 3D GCS starring Tidus

But I guess I should not be too concerned about the opinions of someone whose only visible contributions are pictures of low-poly 3D models of elves and catgirls with huge tits.
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 4
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Quote:
I don't see why this project needs a new engine as that other stuff can be pulled off with Wolf4SDL including the soundtrack as you can use Alumiun's Advanced Sound Manager for OGG/MP3 files.

@Soldat: We have to remember ECWolf is still really new and still has ways to go. I mean, correct me if I am wrong, but did everyone jump on the Wolf4SDL bandwagon when it was first released? I think not. I, for one, am really looking forward to how this engine progresses in future patches/releases. As for using it for mods/TCS, I will probably wait for ECWolf to mature a bit more before I use it. I will say, not being able to use OGG/mp3 does kind of suck.

But, as far as coding issues are concerned, I agree with Executor. I like coding to a point, but not when it becomes redundant. I hate having to go through an elaborate coding process just to add a new weapon/or new enemy to the game. I think a lot of Wolfenstein projects could be released a lot quicker if this were not an issue. I also really like that weapon-change bob is hardcoded in ECWolf.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:26 pm

ThunderEnema wrote:
@Soldat: We have to remember ECWolf is still really new and still has ways to go. I mean, correct me if I am wrong, but did everyone jump on the Wolf4SDL bandwagon when it was first released? I think not.
I was a bit resistant to Wolf4SDL at first, but that was mainly due to the control. It was fixed over time, and there's a lot less I dislike about it now. Smile

That being said, there's still a lot of Wolfers who haven't moved to Wolf4SDL, nor do they plan to do so in the future. I do understand the attachment towards the DOS version and the DOS code. You have experiences that are very specific to the original 16-bit version, and nothing in the world can truly replicate what you have such close experiences with. Sometimes, there's just no substitute for the real McCoy. Smile
ThunderEnema
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 4
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:02 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

@Tricob: I still really like DOS. I frequently go back to play DOS-based games and DOS-based wolf mods like Coming of the Storm, Femstein, and The Untold Story (I don't foresee SDL-versions of these mods coming out anytime soon). Beyond the Grave was originally going to be a dos-based mod until I saw SDL's capabilities; you have to admit... being able to play Wolfenstein in windows without DOSBOX (which makes a mod/TC accessible to a wider audience), not having to worry as much about Abnormal Program Termination, and also having shading/ceiling&floor textures /high-res sprites hard-coded into the engine is really nice. Smile

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 9 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to: