DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Excessive saving - critical bug (SDL)
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Spear of Destiny View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:35 am
   Subject: Excessive saving - critical bug (SDL)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've been playing "sod_cc" map set the past couple of days, and have really enjoyed it. For a map set dated October 1993 (don't know if this is the actual date though) it has gorgeous design and lots of action, rehashes parts and ideas from some of the original levels. I managed to get to level 9...

I use the quick-save function. A lot. I admit it's silly, a bad habit, what have you, but that's how it is for me. I've always done that. Two minutes ago I quick-saved, the "Saving..." box appeared a little bit longer than usual, then I got a message saying "SOD4SDL.EXE has stopped working", and I go, okay, this happens sometimes. When I got back in the game, my saved game was GONE and the SAVEGAM0.SOD file likewise. Sad

Has that ever happened to you, and how do we solve this Question
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:35 pm
   Subject: Re: Excessive saving - critical bug (SDL)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've had problems like this in Windows 7. It turns out that the folder is - by default - marked as "read-only" when it's first created. So, why are the new files still showing up in the file list? Well, those files actually aren't really there. The new files and their contents are saved in temporary swap files. Once the swap file runs out of space, and it needs to clean itself out, that's when the problems occur.

I'd try to go into the folder's "properties" and disable the "read-only" option. Expect the OS to constantly fight with you on this, though.

Supposedly, MS set things up like this to make the OS less vulnerable, but for me, it only makes it less functional. I was expecting the read-only problems to be fixed in Windows 8, but going by what I've read, they're still just as bad. Sad
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:23 am

Well this is old news but what I do to keep my progress from getting irreversibly corrupted is to zip or rar up my save files after every session (when I quit back to Windows) so I can replace the files if something happens to them.

More importantly, and smartly, have multiple saves. I always have one at the beginning of a new level in slot 2, and slot 1 being the primary throughout-the-level save. Also highly recommended is to save before entering the next level too, so you can backtrack for anything you missed before officially leaving.

I do this with any game if I can, I've had numerous corruptions in the past, be it saving hang-ups in-game or the game crashes and decides to eat my save on the way out, and while I very, very rarely have had any in recent years it's not worth the risk and the time wasted.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:19 pm

If you quicksave in the SOD SDL EXE this still happens by the way - the first save only. If I go out in the menu and save the game from there first and foremost, the EXE does not crash when pressing F8. This still happens. And that f-ing quiz at the start. And why is it 1.0?!
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:36 pm
   Subject: Excessive saving - critical bug (SDL)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Fixed in "future version" : http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=4830&start=420#80356
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Spear of Destiny View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: