DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

'The Golden Episodes SDL' Released
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 25
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:42 am
   Subject: Re: 'The Golden Episodes SDL' Released
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

MrWolfForever wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I've done so much doorway knifing in this mod. That's the best way to obtain the most ammo. Most levels have similar prospects (various small rooms with little to no pickups, then a vastly guarded room with the key and possibly secrets) leading to "part two" where you need to get the second key - usually there's ammo and health somewhere in that part. But doorway knifing made this mod for me, and that's just fine. I enjoyed the mapping design in particular and the unique graphics/music interplay as well.

As in, you don't mind the doorway knifing and/or actually found it enjoyable/unique to some extent?

I'll let Thomas answer this question, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask something else related: can the so-called 'doorway knifing" be done on SDL mods? I have the feeling I tried it once or twice and couldn't do it...

Thanks,

Ariel

Mapping Master

Topics: 162

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:49 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Judging by the nature of MrWolfForever's questions he should be an FBI informant. I'll answer this one for Ariel: There is a lot of doorway knifing involved in TGE. I also get to a point where I need to do a lot of doorway knifing in Spear Resurrection, and even Totengraeber at times. Sometimes I do it though I've got plenty of ammo or even full ammo, just to be sure I won't run out later on in the given level. I do not mind it. I love a hard-ass mod. And the gorgeous, cubic design of this mod made it all the more enjoyable. I was enthralled by this mod when I first played it in the summer of 2013, and when I got asked to beta test this I hadn't any idea how I would enjoy it, 'cause I do remember the difficulty as being more than I could handle. Luckily I was answered - it could be done (except Episode 5... I had to sit that one out, to this day I've never played it past the opening rooms of level 1) with just a bit of elbow grease on my part, and I really thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually tried to make what later became The Iron Dream in the same vein as TGE - all guards & sounds, sprites and everything was "enhanced" to create an atmosphere quite like the one in TGE - I even recolored your letters and numbers from bright yellow to teal in order to keep with the original Wolf colors... lol...

I've done doorway knifing in numerous SDL mods, but I also seem to remember playing mods where it couldn't be done. Can't remember which though.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 166
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Thomas wrote:
I've done doorway knifing in numerous SDL mods, but I also seem to remember playing mods where it couldn't be done. Can't remember which though.
At least one "anti-doorway knifing" mod is EOD, which exists in both DOS and SDL flavors. Instead of remaining in the doorway, the enemy backs away from the player, and takes another approach.

The code changes - AFAIK - simply involve an enhancement of the enemies' AI.

The "doorway knifing" can still be exploited to a point, though; you can still knife the opponent to death if you time the stabbing right. You just can't do it incessantly; you'll get in one stab, wait for the enemy to come back, and then repeat the process. Smile
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 169
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:28 pm

I wish Thomas would drop that 'FBI' thing with me. It's just that I get very interested in people's opinions. But he doesn't want to be questioned of them constantly, so I have stopped messaging him about it.

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Tricob wrote:
Thomas wrote:
At least one "anti-doorway knifing" mod is EOD, which exists in both DOS and SDL flavors. Instead of remaining in the doorway, the enemy backs away from the player, and takes another approach.

The code changes - AFAIK - simply involve an enhancement of the enemies' AI.

The "doorway knifing" can still be exploited to a point, though; you can still knife the opponent to death if you time the stabbing right. You just can't do it incessantly; you'll get in one stab, wait for the enemy to come back, and then repeat the process. Smile

And it certainly doesn't work (in doorways) with mutants, Hitler ghosts or bosses. At least, it doesn't for me. Is there a way around this?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:09 pm

OT -

Thomas wrote:
Tricob wrote:
Thomas wrote:
And it certainly doesn't work (in doorways) with mutants, Hitler ghosts or bosses. At least, it doesn't for me. Is there a way around this?
Mutants are the most dangerous to stab to death (at least without God Mode). They just fire off another shot so quickly after getting stabbed! Sad But for whatever it's worth, there's some sort of Enemy AI glitch I discovered. The enemy will attempt to move diagonally, and when he's only halfway there, you can block his way with your body, and he keeps trying to move forward. You have to use the "corners" of your body to do this. But this method - when done correctly - is when the enemy is most vulnerable. Remember, every Actor here is actually an invisible box disguised as a sprite, and the "corners" of each "box" can bar each other's way. None of the boxes actually "rotate"; they just look like they do. Smile This "diagonal block" is a very hard method to figure out; I haven't learned yet how to pull it off very often. Sad

Regarding the other enemies, stabbing them to death is possible, but it's pretty tedious, and usually can't be done through the doorways. The Fake Hitlers tend to shoot several fireballs, move around, and repeat the process. Unless they've filled up every free slot in the Actors List (in which case, stabbing them to death will work as long as their fireballs don't hit anything), stabbing them right after they fire their round of shots is your best bet. The same would go for "chaingun bosses", though you'll want to have some sort of wall to avert from gunfire.

Schabbs is the easiest boss to stab to death; he throws just one projectile, moves around, and repeats the process. Giving him a stab whenever he's just throw a syringe is your best bet. His weapon is blocked by columns, plants, and other "blocking" objects, so you don't need any walls to remain in safe territory.
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:03 am
   Subject: 'The Golden Episodes SDL' Released

It's possible that the SDL mods (and there may be DOS ones too) where door-stabbing might not work are where the player's (or enemy's) "footprint", for lack of a better word, has been reduced.

I recall this was necessary for the player to pass by adjacent exploding barrels. Even though there was a full tile between them, the normal player/enemy "footprint" would block the player.

With a reduced footprint, the presence of the player at the door is detected later, and allows the enemy to get closer and shoot.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:53 am

Another thing I found in SDL mods is the fact that you can't place two guards with deaf guard floor codes next to each other - either they both freeze or only one of them do. This is why I only use one floor code for situations containing "packs" of guards (e.g. a key room with a 6x1 structural dent housing 5 SS guards, only the one facing out is "deaf").
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:28 pm

OT -

Thomas wrote:
Another thing I found in SDL mods is the fact that you can't place two guards with deaf guard floor codes next to each other - either they both freeze or only one of them do. This is why I only use one floor code for situations containing "packs" of guards (e.g. a key room with a 6x1 structural dent housing 5 SS guards, only the one facing out is "deaf").
That's existed since the DOS version. I've thought more than once about how to fix this. I believe I've devised a way to fix the problem in many cases, and it would allow a solid line of "deaf" guards from one of four directions. Its limitation is that you need one "non-deaf" floorcode immediately after the "line" of Deaf guards. For example, if the line is vertical, going north and south, you'll need a normal floorcode immediately to the north or south of this "line". If the "line" goes east and west, you'll need a floorcode immediately to the east or west of the "line".

The code works by "scanning" the map from the guard southward-bound, until it hits either a floorcode or a wall. If it hits the floorcode first, the game will use it. If it hits a wall (or the edge of the map) first, it cancels the loop and starts scanning the map again from the guard's spot, this time going to the east.

This fix would correct over 90% of the problems I've seen. Assuming my coding trick actually works, I'll post the tutorial when I have it debugged. It'll be slow, bloated, and redundant ... like most of the code tutorials I've posted. But, that's why I always invite people to optimize my code. Smile
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 25
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:12 am

Thanks for the answers, folks.

Ariel

I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3

india.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:48 am

hard to play game. there are more enemies and less ammo as the game goes on. especially in first episode third level. got the chain gun and it losing 5 to 10 bullets for a shot. enemies are many numbers and faster than player. no use of searching hidden walls, there is only gold but no ammo. making game too hard only make player annoyed and delete the game like me.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 76

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:33 am

This was posted over at the Wolf3D Haven:

Quote:
Hey fellow wolfers,

I've noticed there is a problem with TGE when I was playing through it. The problem is about pushwalls. In the DOS version, the pushwalls move 3 spaces, instead of 2. This is very important because there are some levels that if the pushwall doesn't advance far enough (2 spaces instead of 3), then one could be missing the secret bonus along with the treasure (and or enemies) behind it. One example is in Episode 5, level 7.

Perhaps the problem lies in the programming of the SDL version rather than the map design? I don't really know, but I thought I point it out since I've just recently discovered it.

-Milanor
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:22 am

I beta tested the SDL port bar episode 5 simply because it was too difficult (skill 4) at the time for me. I do not remember any bugs whatsoever though...
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:04 pm

ronwolf1705 wrote:
This was posted over at the Wolf3D Haven:

Quote:
Hey fellow wolfers,

I've noticed there is a problem with TGE when I was playing through it. The problem is about pushwalls. In the DOS version, the pushwalls move 3 spaces, instead of 2. This is very important because there are some levels that if the pushwall doesn't advance far enough (2 spaces instead of 3), then one could be missing the secret bonus along with the treasure (and or enemies) behind it. One example is in Episode 5, level 7.

Perhaps the problem lies in the programming of the SDL version rather than the map design? I don't really know, but I thought I point it out since I've just recently discovered it.

-Milanor
If the maps were in fact designed that way, then yes - The SDL port is the problem. It doesn't move the Pushwalls 3 squares; that has to be changed in the code.

The problem can also occur on a DOS-based system as well, but we're talking from before the year 2000 ...
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:07 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I ran into the same problem with my WIP episode, I thought 3 space pushwalls was normal behavior but when I tested my levels on ECWolf the default pushwall behavior is 2 spaces and that broke a major secret on the first level. All pushwalls are now designed with 2 space in mind.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: