DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Krucible (scrapped project)
Page 1 of 8 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:08 pm
   Subject: Krucible (scrapped project)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Krucible will feature a modified version of the code I concocted for Tara Carmichael, I want to have a number of new features however like NPCs to fill you in where keys are, level exits, etc, weapon stores/taverns, to give it more of a RPG feeling. I intend to replace the extralife with a radiation suit that gives 200% health to walk through toxic pools, any damage to the suit though and the player will receive damage (Think of the fires in Tara Carmichael). This game will seem more professionally done than Wasteland AND Insanitarium (Not so much "crazy" stuff).

The weapons I have picked out (I won't reveal ALL 8 but will reveal the first 4)

*Chainsaw (Doom64)
*Lever Action Shotgun (Realm667)
*Machine Pistol - DUAL WIELDABLE (AutoMag from Unreal)

The game starts with you playing Alice, awakening in an underground cell with no memory. There's hanging body parts in the room but no visible way to get out. She sees a chainsaw on the floor and with the ominous feeling she's being watched, she picks it up...

TEST SCREENSHOT OF KRUCIBLE'S STATUSBAR (NOT FINAL)

Another feature I'm gonna want to implement is instead of text telling the story, I intend to hand draw comic strips (Sketchy styling) for the INTART.

Last edited by Soldat 555 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:42 pm; edited 18 times in total
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:03 pm
   Subject: Re: Krucible (scrapped project)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well... After all the time it's taking to draw the comics, and with how poor the colored pencils came out when I imported the drawings into 256 color palettes... I'm now deciding whether I want to B&W comics (Which I don't really like myself) or telling the story in the same old text styling I usually do.

So yeah, progress is slow (As usual)... Trying to figure some stuff out for the game and also take care of a dozen things in reality... You know, same ol' crap different day. Razz
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 am

If you're looking for colored comics, my suggestion would be to scan ink-drawn line art and to do the coloring on the computer. Aside from being common practice for cartoons and animation, You'll get a much cleaner final result Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Lozer_42 wrote:
If you're looking for colored comics, my suggestion would be to scan ink-drawn line art and to do the coloring on the computer. Aside from being common practice for cartoons and animation, You'll get a much cleaner final result Smile
It's a good suggestion but pencils usually have a kinda sketchy feeling to it which can be a bit horrific... I can't describe it too well (Maybe it's one of those creepy child things) but with digital painting (Which I still like) it's as you said, looks cleaner. Which can still be scary but I dunno, I personally didn't consider it to fit the style I was going for, you know?

NOTICE: Screenshots removed. Check newer posts for updated scenes!

Last edited by Soldat 555 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 106
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:09 am

Double chainsaw? Cool Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:56 am

doomjedi wrote:
Double chainsaw? Cool Smile
Amen to that. Thumbs Up
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:59 am

I always felt I'm not cutting the flesh fast enough...
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 162
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:07 am

Doom 64 had some of the best looking weapons to be honest. Doom 64 was like Quake in sprites.

I'm so glad to see someone's taking that games resources to good use Thumbs Up

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:59 am

For your consideration:

Soldat 555 wrote:
It's a good suggestion but pencils usually have a kinda sketchy feeling to it which can be a bit horrific... I can't describe it too well (Maybe it's one of those creepy child things) but with digital painting (Which I still like) it's as you said, looks cleaner. Which can still be scary but I dunno, I personally didn't consider it to fit the style I was going for, you know?

Here's some new screenshots, not really showing much but does reveal some nice converted Doom64 sprites and the darker atmosphere I'm going for...

I kind of know what you mean but I guess I didn't really think of it that way myself.

I read "comic" and thought of the more solid ink-and-paint style. I will say that if you are using the game palette to show them, then losing quality and detail is going to be something you'll need to work around. (coloring digitally would allow better color accuracy with the palette)

When Id used pencil drawings in Spear of Destiny they were in essence just "black and White" and had a customized palette for each individual screen so that details weren't lost. For a full comic though, this seems rather impractical.

Whatever way you go about it, I leave you with my thoughts and I wish you luck. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Exactly, Lozer_42, I'm trying to cut down on the hassle and the excessive time taking process, yet I still have cool ideas... B&W pictures COULD work but I think I'll stick with text from here on... Little stressed out and I want to relax so I'm trying to lighten the workload.

Latest screens showing the bleak atmosphere of the game...

Wonderland caverns...

Graveyard, Raven Wood district...
vermil
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Both very good shots I think. Interesting to see a more 'desolate' looking graveyard, rather than a 'dark' one.

The Doom64 Chainsaw certainly looks big in the Wolf world :p
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Very nice pics Smile
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:28 pm

You know, an interesting fact about the chainsaw... I didn't even really want a chainsaw in this game, originally the melee weapon was gonna be a circular sword like Tira's from the Soul Calibur games...

Only crafted from a giant rusty saw blade. Razz

After too much thought into how I'd design this and much annoyed nagging from my sister how it wouldn't work in REAL life Rolling Eyes I just decided to scrap the idea and go with something else I know I could do. So there's the chainsaw, featuring the same code from Frayed. Dunno how to make it animated when not being used but that's one of those features I'll ask for help with along with yellowish green rain in a later level to appear like acid raid and footstep sounds.

Right now I'm working on stores... Tried making them give you options what to buy but I ran into bug after bug, currently debating trying again or just leaving them like the soda machines in Tara that give you a single item... I rather like that choice idea though. Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Soldat 555 wrote:
Right now I'm working on stores... Tried making them give you options what to buy but I ran into bug after bug, currently debating trying again or just leaving them like the soda machines in Tara that give you a single item... I rather like that choice idea though. Smile
You could give it an "RPG" approach, where you see the items you can buy, so you move up to item, press the Spacebar, and it lets you buy the item if you can afford it. It'd just be a simple hack of my Interactive Static Objects code (or rather, mine and BT's).
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Tricob wrote:
Soldat 555 wrote:
You could give it an "RPG" approach, where you see the items you can buy, so you move up to item, press the Spacebar, and it lets you buy the item if you can afford it. It'd just be a simple hack of my Interactive Static Objects code (or rather, mine and BT's).
Actually that's a pretty good suggestion, reminds me of Zelda. Yeah, that'd be pretty easy to do. Smile

The way it's currently set up though, you can walk into the store, talk to the merchant (Got a whole bunch of good things on sale, stranger. Hehe... Very Happy lol ) and it pulls up a simple menu so you can choose an item...

And I worked out the kinks... Except when buying the 7.62mm ammo it switches to the Chainsaw and I don't know... Damn, it seriously JUST occurred to me the weapon changes because you push the number keys to change weapons... I'm such a moron... *facepalm* Razz

... Okay, gonna change the menu to react to A,B,C,D rather than 1,2,3,N... Feel like a complete jackass for not seeing this sooner...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, one of the advantages to this merchant system is if you really want to, you can kill the merchant, steal the store's items, at the expense of alerting all the guards in the level... And maybe even a score penalty if I decided to code it in. Krucible was originally conceived as a gothic GTA-like game, and I think the idea of being a criminal and playing however you choose really gives it a bit of a GTA feeling.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:32 am

Brings to mind the Wizard's Castle game, where - when you encounter a merchant - you had the option of buying from them, or attacking them. If you attacked one, then every merchant in the levels would attack you when they saw you.
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 95
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:31 pm

Soldat 555 wrote:
Tricob wrote:
Soldat 555 wrote:
Actually that's a pretty good suggestion, reminds me of Zelda. Yeah, that'd be pretty easy to do. Smile

The way it's currently set up though, you can walk into the store, talk to the merchant (Got a whole bunch of good things on sale, stranger. Hehe... Very Happy lol ) and it pulls up a simple menu so you can choose an item...

And I worked out the kinks... Except when buying the 7.62mm ammo it switches to the Chainsaw and I don't know... Damn, it seriously JUST occurred to me the weapon changes because you push the number keys to change weapons... I'm such a moron... *facepalm* Razz

... Okay, gonna change the menu to react to A,B,C,D rather than 1,2,3,N... Feel like a complete jackass for not seeing this sooner...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, one of the advantages to this merchant system is if you really want to, you can kill the merchant, steal the store's items, at the expense of alerting all the guards in the level... And maybe even a score penalty if I decided to code it in. Krucible was originally conceived as a gothic GTA-like game, and I think the idea of being a criminal and playing however you choose really gives it a bit of a GTA feeling.

I had this very idea and was considering using it for Resident Doom (if I ever get around to working on that damn thing). Nice to know ahead of trying to program it in that it can be done.

...But I'll be back, you can count on it!
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:22 pm

Well, progress has been slow, but I got some new early screenshots...

*Whores of Krucible, AKA Misty's minions, return from Insanitarium with a re-vamped look and replaces the Wolf3d guards...

*One of the merchants, allowing you to browse her goods...

*Prisoner, speaking with them can be the difference between finding your way and roaming aimlessly lost...

I have some monsters done but I'd rather not reveal them. Very Happy
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:00 am

Looking good! Smile
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 72

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:05 am

I really like that prisoner graphic, very moody. Smile
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:50 am

The prisoner, who's name I shall not reveal as he was mentioned in Insanitarium Wink Wink, I actually wanted to pattern off of Lance Henriksen who played Bishop in the Alien films, Frank Black in Millennium, one of the detectives in Terminator, as well as numerous other roles...

To give you an idea of the atmosphere of the game, here's some of the music tracks I'll be using...

Dark Conflict (Title theme) by CrimsonZeal (AKA Psychrophyte)
http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00610/

Mechanical God: Create|Corrupt|Consume (Menu music) by Nekofrog
http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01796/

In a nutshell, imagine a conference between the games Rage, Resident Evil, American McGee's Alice, and of course, Wolfenstein 3D... THAT is what I'm hoping to mold Krucible into. Cool
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:53 pm

Okay, so I hit a bit of a wall... I gotten some new enemy sprites and when testing them out I discovered enemies will turn into different enemies when they become alerted. The problem is obviously with the code, but nothing I looked into looks problematic. I'm thinking the problem is with the Spawning functions in WL_Game.CPP but I can't be sure.

I'm outta ideas on this one, my backup code also lacks a LOT of features. If any experienced coder could take a look at this for me, I have no issue sending the code... Else I gotta revert to an older code and redo a lot, actually not sure if that would be so bad just time consuming. Confused
Poet
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 39
norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:36 pm
   Subject: Krucible [Could use some help with code]

If you have added these enemies as new objects have you made a new spawn function for them or are you using SpawnStand and SpawnPatrol?

If you use SpawnStand and SpawnPatrol you must be careful about in what order you add the new enemy objects in wl_def.h or this line in SpawnStand and SpawnPatrol:

newobj->obclass = (classtype)(guardobj + which);

will not find the right object and switch to another.

It can sometimes be a good idea to make both a new spawn stand and a new spawn patrol function of its own for each new ordinary enemy (that is to say if it is not boss, then you make a new spawn function anyway).
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Everything is the same from Tara Carmichael save for minor changes. I didn't tamper with the "enemytypeobj"s, there are a few new sprites but no new object types, I checked and rechecked and can't figure out why this is happening.

The only enemies that have this bug occur are ...

Mutants
Biker Women (Added to Tara Carmichael, worked perfectly)
Biker Dude (Added to Tara Carmichael, worked perfectly)

Which all 3 are at the bottom of the SpawnStand/Patrol section of WL_Game.CPP. When alerted, the Mutant turns into Gretel Grosse, the Biker Women turn into Mutants, and the Biker Dudes turn into Biker Women. They work fine and appear with their designated sprites when standing still, unalarmed.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:02 pm

The code is very fussy about how you add new enemy types; you have to add the new enemy in the same spot for both the "en_" and "obj" list, or you'll get the problems you've described. If you add your new type after "en_mutant", and then after "officerobj", this isn't the order that the code "likes". Smile
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:37 am

Tricob wrote:
The code is very fussy about how you add new enemy types; you have to add the new enemy in the same spot for both the "en_" and "obj" list, or you'll get the problems you've described. If you add your new type after "en_mutant", and then after "officerobj", this isn't the order that the code "likes". Smile
After reading that post, I took a look at WL_Def.CPP. I THOUGHT I hadn't added any new objects, but it appears I did back in April. I hadn't noticed it because it appeared way before mutantobj, bbobj, and dudeobj. It was an spilled oil sprite which is used, but it's used as one of the vehicle objects created in Tara Carmichael... So I apologize about sticking a foot in my mouth earlier saying "No new objects were added." Confused

Tricob, Poet, as a token of thanks for helping me out here I would like to share with you the current pre-alpha of Krucible. It isn't close to ready as there's still plenty of sprites that should be replaced and maps that need some work... But I will share with you download links by the end of the week. Smile Hopefully around the same time a decent teaser trailer could be made but we'll have to see about that... Wink
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Soldat 555 wrote:
Tricob, Poet, as a token of thanks for helping me out here I would like to share with you the current pre-alpha of Krucible. It isn't close to ready as there's still plenty of sprites that should be replaced and maps that need some work... But I will share with you download links by the end of the week. Smile
Thanks, Soldat. I'm hoping I'll have a decent Windows XP machine by then. But I should be able to check it out regardless. Smile
Poet
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 39
norway.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:22 am
   Subject: Krucible

@Soldat: Thanks.
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Sooooooooooooooooo... After much time working on getting the textures right, splicing some sprites together, recoloring in PhotoShop to look like rust, I made THESE...

In the actual game they protrude from the wall, are directional sprites you can walk through (As it's a thin piece of metal, I figured it makes sense like you push it outta the way or something), and I wanted to do something different than regular wall decorations (Although Krucible has that too. Wink

I GOT to finish up some enemy sprite animations, but I think what I'll do next is work on the toilets, make them look less clean and shiny, same with the showers. Also gotta work on the merchants' death animations, prostitution client, and some civilians one of these days. I still got a loooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnng way to go on this one... Confused

P.S. Yes I said "prostitution client" meaning someone who pays Alice (The girl you play) to have sex with him... No graphic visuals or nothing, but like Grand Theft Auto/Saints Row there are sounds. Razz

EDIT: So, I WAS considering not to even bother making death animations for the civilians, just replace the sprites with this exploding mess of blood and gore as killing civilians and merchants in my mind is pretty frowned upon But Gerolf had mentioned he prefers death animations and he has a point, after all I hate in a lot of games when bodies just "disappear into nothing.". So there will be death frames, just not as many as standard guards. There will also be a score penalty (Naturally). Razz
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:05 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

You really took the challenge to work with hi-res textures - challenge some fear of. That's something to respect.
I like your vision, your details approach...you really put alot of thought and patience into that, you work like an artist.
Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Time synchronized with the forum server time
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 8 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: