DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Hex editing the DOS version
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:20 pm
   Subject: Hex editing the DOS version
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Is there a resource somewhere that tells you how to hex-edit a Wolf3d EXE?

I know of simple things like changing the text in messages and on the menu screens, but I'd like to know how to change ceiling colors, maybe change the music order, and other stuff. I guess I'm looking for the pertinent offsets.

Post any links, or better, if you know how to do something hex-editing-wise, post your knowledge here!

The original EXE (GT version) is compressed to 109,589 bytes. When I use UNLZEXE, it only opens up to 257,518 bytes (is there a better de-compressor?). When I compile the vanilla source code with Borland, I get an EXE of 491,240 bytes, which matches several addons' EXEs. I know how to do a byte-by-byte comparison using PC-Valet, and would like to know exactly how some of these mods differ from the vanilla to do an accurate SDL version of them.

For instance, at offset 5553A: D076 851C was changed to 0750 412A by DTrade (I assume) in his Warzone series of mods. I'd like to know what that is.

Thanks,
Andy
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:21 am
   Subject: Re: Hex editing the DOS version
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
Is there a resource somewhere that tells you how to hex-edit a Wolf3d EXE?

Ringman started a thread about this too (almost 10 years ago), if you're interested:
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=2474

I guess, since the source code is released, all you'd have to do is compile an exe in Borland, then modify something, and compare the new exe with the old one (with your PC-Valet or something similar) to see where that data is stored too. Smile

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
The original EXE (GT version) is compressed to 109,589 bytes. When I use UNLZEXE, it only opens up to 257,518 bytes (is there a better de-compressor?). When I compile the vanilla source code with Borland, I get an EXE of 491,240 bytes, which matches several addons' EXEs.

That extra space can be removed by going into Options->Debugger by setting Source Debugging to "None" I think.
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 am
   Subject: Hex editing the DOS version

Thanks, Chris. I was a bit surprised that a search on "hex-edit"/"hex-editing"/etc. didn't bring up anything useful. Ringman's post will get me started.

And I'll give that reverse engineering suggestion a shot too - may give me some more clues!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
The original EXE (GT version) is compressed to 109,589 bytes. When I use UNLZEXE, it only opens up to 257,518 bytes (is there a better de-compressor?). When I compile the vanilla source code with Borland, I get an EXE of 491,240 bytes, which matches several addons' EXEs. I know how to do a byte-by-byte comparison using PC-Valet, and would like to know exactly how some of these mods differ from the vanilla to do an accurate SDL version of them.
Which version of Borland? As I remember, there were reportedly two versions of Borland that folks have used to compile the source. In addition, changing options in the compiler's menus will leave you with a different version of the compiled EXE.

Lastly, I'm not 100% sure that the LZEXE version we're pointed to is the one Id and Apogee used. All you have to do is press one wrong number key - or accidentally switch two numbers around - and all of a sudden, people all over the world are being pointed to the wrong version of a program. Razz
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:18 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Andy_Nonymous wrote:

I guess, since the source code is released, all you'd have to do is compile an exe in Borland, then modify something, and compare the new exe with the old one (with your PC-Valet or something similar) to see where that data is stored too.

Go into the Borland settings Andy and there is a checkbox to have the compiler leave out the debug info... Doing that will bring your exe's back to or closer to the original ones that you are working with. Tinker with the Borland config settings and you should be able to compile the source to match the others that you are playing with.

Hope that helps...

Greg
BrotherTank
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: