DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

My email is banned?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Blitzkrieg
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:06 pm
   Subject: My email is banned?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hello everyone! First off, Id like to thank you kindly for not deleting me from these forums (since Ive been gone for so long)! Laughing

Also, I tried to update my email but it keeps saying my email is banned, even though I created my email about 3 years ago. I think I've been gone from the forums for much longer than that, so I dont understand why it would be banned.
Any way this could be fixed?

- Been playing Wolf3D since '92 Smile! -

Email - cnyiszter@gmail.com (apparently the forum wont let me change my email in my profile ; -_- )
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 38
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:21 pm
   Subject: Re: My email is banned?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I have the same issue with my email address (hence its existence in my signature Razz), and it's been that way since I joined in 2007 xP
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 36
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:59 am

Hotmail has long been a haven for spammers and 'disposable' accounts, and unfortunately GMail is not immune. At this time we can only accept ISP e-mail accounts to verify your accounts to prevent further bombardment of spammers.
RichterBelmont12
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 97
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Funny tho I still use my aol account to this day and I haven't touched it at all lol

https://www.facebook.com/RichterBelmont123

https://twitter.com/Richterbelmont6
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:49 pm

I'm also one of the lucky ones as I'm using Hotmail. That being said, I had to e-mail Dean personally and ask if he could filter me through, and he did. I know of other forums where you have to pm the admin before even registering, regardless of e-mail provider. That's a clever move... Nothing worse than forums filled to the rafters with spam. But those forums never get any visitors anyway and have long since died... Always tragic to witness such situations. Laughing
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 165
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Richter Belmont wrote:
Funny tho I still use my aol account to this day and I haven't touched it at all lol
AOL actually hosts a legitimate internet service. This is not the case with Hotmail, Yahoo, and many other E-Mail services.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:37 pm

This has always surprised me, as most other forums allow services like Gmail, but there's good reason for it. I hope that the policy is revisited eventually though.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:14 am

I used to think this was a kind of unreasonable policy, but once I became a moderator, I found out otherwise.

On occasion, I let a known gmail (or whatever) user join the forums by disabling the filter, and once the user has joined, the filter is restored.

Let me tell you, that in those few hours when the filter is down, about a dozen spammers are in the queue awaiting validation. Fortunately, all new members must be manually added (no self-validation).

Normally, about 1 to 3 new members are awaiting validation per day, 99% of them being spammers; without the bans of these certain e-mails, there would be dozens, if not hundreds in the queue.

None of the moderators want to sift through all that every day.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:53 am

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
I used to think this was a kind of unreasonable policy, but once I became a moderator, I found out otherwise.

On occasion, I let a known gmail (or whatever) user join the forums by disabling the filter, and once the user has joined, the filter is restored.

Let me tell you, that in those few hours when the filter is down, about a dozen spammers are in the queue awaiting validation. Fortunately, all new members must be manually added (no self-validation).

Normally, about 1 to 3 new members are awaiting validation per day, 99% of them being spammers; without the bans of these certain e-mails, there would be dozens, if not hundreds in the queue.

None of the moderators want to sift through all that every day.

That makes sense. Makes me wonder if all forums suffer from this (And if so why they don't block the addresses too), or if it has to do with the software the forum is on.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:46 am

Zombie_Plan wrote:
That makes sense. Makes me wonder if all forums suffer from this (And if so why they don't block the addresses too), or if it has to do with the software the forum is on.
I'd say it's a combination of both. Different sites have different safeguards in place.

It's often not practical to make a Blocked E-Mail Addresses list for many sites, since new E-Mail services debut on the internet, and the sites wouldn't be guarded against them if it knows nothing of their existence. To me, it makes more sense to just have a list of "legitimate" E-Mail servers rather than "blocked" E-Mail servers. I could be overlooking something there, though. Smile
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:46 am

Welcome back, Blitzkrieg! Smile

Needless to say the issue you're having plagues a LOT of Wolfers here. I remember when ThunderEnema was joining the site he was having a hard time finding an eMail service that wasn't banned. Mine is actually using my MySpace address which I cancelled years ago. Very Happy lol

Personally I don't get the blocked eMail service thing... Just because a lot of spammers use said services, doesn't mean everyone using those services or even the services themselves are spammers. Yahoo and Gmail are my only eMail services yet both are blocked. I understand the moderators are trying to ward off spammers but it also hinders members trying to join the site. Sad
Matthew
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 94

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:35 pm

I have been a member of the Sierra Planet forums since late 1999 (including on their older board systems, which are long gone.) Recently, those boards have faded in popularity, and become largely abandoned.

In the evening on July 27, 2013, I decided to take a look back at them -- and saw that they were, and had been for the past 9 days, being flooded with accounts and spam messages (which appeared to be autonomously generated). They were constantly being posted by the minute, and no one was doing anything about it because none of the moderators were watching the board. Over those 9 days, the spammer(s) had accumulated thousands of accounts and tens of thousands of spam messages, and were still continuing. The threads and messages were spread throughout all the forums, so the boards were completely flooded, and the legitimate threads were buried hundreds of pages deep in the forum indexes.

I then sent an e-mail to Kat (the site administrator) telling her about it. Less than 30 minutes after I sent that e-mail, she disabled the board system. Smile

I wonder what spammers' motivation is for carrying out an attack like that.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Matthew wrote:

I wonder what spammers' motivation is for carrying out an attack like that.
It's just the company's way of promoting itself and its products. In the past, a product could be appear or be mentioned in a movie or a TV show without the consent of the product's company, and the company would approve of it under most circumstances. Nowadays, big-name companies only want their product to appear in a message board, TV show, or movie if they have complete control over all the content where it appears. However, they find that - because of this - their product isn't as popular as it used to be. Their solution? Spread ads about their product everywhere.
Matthew
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 94

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:28 pm

This article has given me some insight into this.

That attack was probably done by a spambot which searched the Internet for vulnerable forums. From what those messages were like, they were probably intended to boost search engine rankings.

It seems to me that forum abuse has become far more routine in recent years. I started using public forums back in 1999 (first the official Sierra forums, then the fan-made RWA forums, which later became Sierra Planet). Back then, people would often make a big deal over a single inappropriate post.

Moderator tools have also gotten far better. Back then, if a board was spammed, mods would have to delete one message at a time.

Kat said that it would take a long time to delete the accounts. Too bad phpBB doesn't allow mass deletion of accounts.
Blitzkrieg
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:19 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well, that would explain it. lol..

- Been playing Wolf3D since '92 Smile! -

Email - cnyiszter@gmail.com (apparently the forum wont let me change my email in my profile ; -_- )
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: