DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Resident Evil: Unleashed (RELEASED)
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:49 pm
   Subject: Resident Evil: Unleashed (RELEASED)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

A while back I mentioned I was working on a secret project to be a "tech demo" of Krucible. This is that project. I actually intended on getting it released for Halloween but I still have a lot of work left to do and I highly doubt I'd be able to make that deadline... So instead I decided to reveal what was so secret that I've been up to...

This is a small mod, only 6 levels long though debating trying to attempt "Alternate" levels (Meaning you can one of 2 exits in certain levels). Overall, I tried to capture the classic Resident Evil feel in a 1st Person Shooter form without making it a remake of Resident Evil Survivor on the PSX...

I also didn't want to make this a high action mod with a strong Wolf3d feel much like Resident Evil: Cover Operation or Wolfenstein: Umbrella Beginnings. I mean NO disrespect towards the authors of such mods, your games were good... I'm just trying to make it feel strictly more like a Resident Evil 3D game than fast action Wolf3d mod. So how am I attempting this? Well...

*Each level has a creepy atmosphere complete with fitting music, are lengthy and can be quite labyrinthine to try and capture the exploring adventure aspect in the classic Resident Evil games. This isn't Doom or Resident Evil 5 where levels are pretty straight forward...
*Zombies... The living dead... What does that say? Dead! Meaning, the dead bodies on the ground may not actually be dead (An idea I picked up from Majik Monkee's awesome Operation: Mutant Strike series). Another thing, dead says graves... Be sure to expect zombies to pop up out of their place of eternal rest... Wink
*Documents using Havoc's Log Files code. Just like classic RE, REU will feature documentation revealing a bit of the scientist's projects and their skepticism of their bosses ethics and morality...
*Richter Belmont pointed this out in one of Gerolf's topics. "The FINE in the corner of the screen reminds me of Resident Evil." This is exactly what I intended! Don't like fullscreen or want to check the classic Wolf3d statusbar? You CAN by pressing TAB, PAUSE, or simply resizing the screen. Smile
*Herbs and First Aid Spray... Yellow gives 10% health and takes you past 100% (In Resident Evil 4, yellow herbs increase max. health), Green restores 25% health, and Red restores 40%. First Aid Sprays in Resident Evil give you a full bill of Health, in this they give you an extra life (Unsure yet if I want it to restore health to 100%)...

Now with this being a shooter game (And zombie graphic resources a little limited) this mod has gun zombies... I do explain this in some of the documents saying "These guys utilize "killing tools", showing more intelligence than the zombies created from 'T' "...

Another thing I'm bringing into this game, unseen in Resident Evil for awhile, is this guy...

"Got some GOOD things on sale, stranger..."

Last edited by Soldat 555 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 68

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:28 pm
   Subject: Re: Resident Evil: Unleashed (RELEASED)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The merchant was one of my favorite elements of RE4, I just really liked that guy. Mr Green I rloved RE4, and have played a bit of RE5; only co-op though, but it was still a cool game. RE2 is years ago, but it was creepy as hell. By the looks of it, you'll be focusing more on the survival aspect, which is a good choice because so few mods have done that. I think the Haunted House demo was a really good example of survival in a Wolf3D mod. Anyway, it sounds promising and the merchant looks awesome as hell. Smile
RichterBelmont12
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 97
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Sounds Pretty Awesome...I Love RE4, RE2, Code Veronica, and Resident Evil Revelations. Soo I'll looking forward to this mod..

https://www.facebook.com/RichterBelmont123

https://twitter.com/Richterbelmont6
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 95
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Makes me wish I were able to put more effort into Resident Doom, but I work slow... ;_;

...But I'll be back, you can count on it!
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks guys, progress has been slow but am getting a FEW things done...

For starters, this project will now use 8 levels rather than 5, this is due to a secret level and 2 "alternate" levels. The alternate levels will feature different environments with different enemies and different log files.

I had revamped the intermission screen as well from what I was gonna do originally, it was gonna be like Doom's bloody letters with a face of Billy from RE0 but had decided to something a little more Resident Evilish.

Right now, trying to work on some enemy graphics, the dogs I'm editing from the Wolf3D shepherds rather than ripping the dogs from Blood. There's a boss frame I got done, but I MIGHT want to rework to be... different.

Anyways, that's all what I got new to announce.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:10 pm

Good luck with the project! The screenshot already looks like a level I want to play (I'm secretly hoping you're also able to go inside the train, criss-cross and such) and the merchant looks awesome. Smile
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 158
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:13 pm

If you need any help give me a shout, I'll try my best!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:28 pm

So early this morning I had FINALLY finished work on the zombie dogs (AKA Cerberus in the Resident Evil universe), they are based on Wolf3d's shepherds and are VERY dead-looking. Wink Wink Will upload a ZIP file and share in the Artists Archives section here at the forums later for those who want to use it in their own mods. Smile

I also had just finished the spiders (Which are ripped from Blood). They are smaller than the giant Tarantulas in the RE games but these are faster, shoot more web, and I will explain this in the log files you can find in the game.

Other characters I still need to work on is Nemesis (I know Monkee's Image World has one I can work with), Siren (Which'll be based off Alexia Ashford), a monster who was conceived for Resident Evil 4 but never actually used...
http://residentevil.wikia.com/Parasite_Woman

Anyways, figured to let you guys know what I'm up to. Smile
fraggeur
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 11

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:27 am

Nice work so far Smile
MRMOON
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Looks good Smile
Ipank7000
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
indonesia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Nice work Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks everyone and no, this project IS NOT DEAD... Just gotten a little sidetracked is all, some life events, stress, usual blah blah blah and I needed a break from blah blah. Razz

These last few days I worked a bit on the bosses, one of which being Majik Monkee's Nemesis (Which he will be credited for graphics), And I also finished making one of the levels and did some touchups on the code. The breakdown of progress is below.

2/4 bosses complete
1/2 mini bosses complete
4/8 levels fully designed
Story and journal logs coming along nicely

Figured to let everyone know. Smile

EDIT: Screenshot of my current level in progress...
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:20 am

UMBRELLA

Love the usage of that broken ceiling texture. Very atmospheric, because you know something terrible came in that way. Cool stuff!
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 99
israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:49 am

Yeah, simply love the ceiling idea...your originality always strikes me. Those moments - is what I love most about modding.
I'd consider adding some sprite-based beton/stone debris below it. Depending on if it's unfinished building - or partially damaged one.

The dog sprite I like less, it looks like his spine has brains in it. Love the idea...but not the implementation.
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I hope this project comes to fruition. No rush, of course, but this is something I long thought of doing, I just knew I lacked the time and coding know-how to really do a survival horror game justice in the modified Wolf engine. I believe it can be done well, and this gives me hope. I really felt the RE themed mods you mentioned earlier in this topic were RE in name only and too action oriented (points a finger at RE6 as well). I have yet to take a crack at a survival horror mod other than "The Black House", but that was more "Silent Hill" than "Resident Evil" I think. Anyway, I'm babbling...I would love to offer assistance with this mod, right now I'm struggling with Windows 8's version of Paint, I just can't seem to work with it. Ugh.

PS - Just a little random fact, the evil corporation in the Mutant Strike games, "Regenschirm Corp", is actually German for "Umbrella". And yes, the similarity was obviously intentional.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:23 pm

You can install XP's paint on Windows 7. You can make it be "edit" editor too, with a little tweaking.
Windows 7 Paint doesn't fit for pixel art.
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:21 am

Majik Monkee wrote:
I hope this project comes to fruition. No rush, of course, but this is something I long thought of doing, I just knew I lacked the time and coding know-how to really do a survival horror game justice in the modified Wolf engine. I believe it can be done well, and this gives me hope. I really felt the RE themed mods you mentioned earlier in this topic were RE in name only and too action oriented (points a finger at RE6 as well). I have yet to take a crack at a survival horror mod other than "The Black House", but that was more "Silent Hill" than "Resident Evil" I think. Anyway, I'm babbling...I would love to offer assistance with this mod, right now I'm struggling with Windows 8's version of Paint, I just can't seem to work with it. Ugh.

PS - Just a little random fact, the evil corporation in the Mutant Strike games, "Regenschirm Corp", is actually German for "Umbrella". And yes, the similarity was obviously intentional.
Good news and bad news. The good news is there really isn't much left for me to do, mostly graphic work on 3 enemies, some coding, a bit of storyline, maybe some sound editing. The bad news is originally wanted to get this released by Halloween 2013, which obviously didn't happen. Then I figured I could get it done by this upcoming Valentine's Day, which sadly due to people asking me to do more and more stuff and thinking I don't have anything else in my life besides doing favors for them. Drives me nuts and so far for 2014 I've mostly been saying "Screw it, I'm playing video games and not overworking myself like I do every year." Very Happy This mod WILL see completion in 2014, I just can't say when exactly.

You mentioned RE6 being too actiony (Little off-topic, I know) but actually I think it was an improvement over RE5. There are some things in RE6 which could've been taken out like busting out martial arts and wrestling moves on the zombies but the game has much more of a "scary horror" feeling than RE5... Which is also more than I can say for the classic games too as I was never scared playing RE, RE2, RE3: Nemesis, or even RE: Code Veronica. It wasn't until I played the RE remake and RE0 on the Gamecube that I felt the game is terrifying. In RE4, I was even terrified with the chainsaw guys and later on there's a creepy lab level where I had to shoot creatures in a specific place on their bodies, giants were pretty dumb though. In my honest opinion, what the new RE games lack from the old ones is the adventure game expect, checking out every room for a key or puzzle to unlock new areas, the new RE games are just linear in level design more like Doom. That's my rant anyway, take it as you will.

Majik, I can't say for everyone but I kinda figured OMS was based/inspired on Resident Evil. Interesting fact, OMS was the biggest inspiration for this mod. Smile
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:51 am

I think I considered those regenerators to be the scariest enemies of RE4.
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:24 pm

I agree. I only disliked Iron Maidens more than them. I found the original RE games to be more suspenseful than scary, but when I found myself flying a Harriet jet attacking an aircraft carrier in 6, that was neither suspenseful or scary. Anyway, I don't mean to stray off topic. I totally support taking a break to have some fun if modding is burning you out, it's just not worth burning yourself out over!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:54 pm

Resident Evil: Unleashed is now released.

*A total of 7 levels, 2 of which are alternates
*Merchant system
*Log files
*A slower and more horrific atmosphere than most of my mods
*And more

TRAILER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fph_uGYAc-k

DOWNLOAD
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36596714/Wolf3d%20Mods/ResidentEvilUnleashed.zip

Known bugs:
1: I don't believe you can get 100% ratios for the whole game, this is due to the fact that alternate levels bypass other levels and therefore you can't find the secrets, kills, and treasures in that other level.
2: At the beginning of the 2nd level, the dogs might not attack you unless you make a noise. Tried fixing that, but not sure why it's happening.
3: Eliminating the final boss, the screen will fade to black (As wanted) but then the in-game screen will appear again for a second or 2 (Not wanted) just before the game actually finishes.

That's all I can really think of, nothing too terrible or nothing. Anyway, hope you guys like it. Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:57 am

Cool Smile My upcoming weekend is getting more interesting Smile Can't wait to see what you've come up with
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:51 am

The game crashed on me when I got to the first key in the first level. No idea what caused it, but might be something to look into.

Apart from that, I'm liking it so far. Very atmospheric!
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:08 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
The game crashed on me when I got to the first key in the first level. No idea what caused it, but might be something to look into.

Apart from that, I'm liking it so far. Very atmospheric!
Huh, I've not experienced that one nor know why'd do that... Maybe delete the config file and try again? Confused
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:31 am

Didn't experience it the second time, so I guess all is well again. Smile
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 pm

I forgot to mention this: One time during testing (Few weeks back before code was final) the game crashed on me during the Intermission mission screens on Level 4. Much like your experience Ron, this only happened once and I saw no cause or reason why this would happen...

Damn weird ass bugs. Confused
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:39 pm

Yeah, there was no clear cause here as well. Was just checking the room and BOOM, gone.

Love the merchant, dude. Incorporated perfectly.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Playing level 2...but gotta rush some first feedback.

This is quite an experience...such mods are why I love modding. You and WLHack are one of the better modders to create and perfect their own personal style, own unique look and feel of mods.
The levels of realism, immersiveness and design detail are simply...to envy. One person to do so much in so little time. You sure know to pass your vision across.
So many creative ideas...so many. Pure modding.

I myself never watched "Living Dead" or "Resident Evil"...- not my type of movies/tv shows - but it's amazing how you manage to pass the feel you want to pass...you really feel like in zombie world.

I'll start by order of things you meet...
First - music and sounds are outstanding and are the most amazing thing of this mod. Brilliant.
Title screens are great too.
HUD is fantastic,especially love the font. Grey "decoloring" shading works fantastic, so are the modified wood textures, with this black background and consistent grass at the bottom...look fantastic.

Knife is very fun to use, and is very effective, Shotgun is very fun as well. Zombies are scary and surprising... Love how herbs are incorporated.
Despite me loving 64x64 walls, and some other mods use Hi-res walls for no reason - your use of Hi-res walls in not only your unique style - but fully justified by the level of realism you try and manage to achieve - and bring great result, very Duke3Dlike. Level of detail in mapping is fantastic, love the realistic designs and simmetry.

Hints work well, very nice interactive walls ideas. Realistic secret areas, nice. Love the overall interactivity.
Long and detailed story as usual, great and part of your usual style and vision.

Flies work well...not a new idea to Wolf3D moding, but fits perfectly here.

Love to see you keeping using my art Smile I wonder how many new mods you'll manage to make with art of my current in-work projects, heh. Can't wait. Sky is the limit Smile

Keep/em coming Smile

Small nitpicks as usual - a bit inconsistent artstyle - and especially sprite brightness. Some sloppy recolorings as well.
And as in previous mod - I state again I dislike the use of too unique statues more than single time in a room. It's unlogical for people to make...same statues. Usually statues are not done by factory you know. Manual work. To me pool tables can be 100 in a room...but not same statues. Again...maybe my thing.

Now back to playing... Smile
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:52 pm

Thanks, DoomJedi. And don't worry about going easy on reviewing my mods, I've already gotten ridiculous angry this week...

12 HOURS LATER...

... Just kidding. Very Happy lol
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:37 am

Level 3 is hard but fantastic....the whole theme is amazingly done, you get it better and better in every incarnation of it in your mods.
Spiders are great, so hard (maybe too hard) but also with clear weakness that I like. Ideas are nice...
I love the fact you make 1 theme = 1 big level...it keeps it real, fresh....unlike so many other mods, TR mods including. Great, really great. Maybe I should be more like you Smile
Love the fact merchant is killable, especially in such scare scenarios where you're immersed in fear and shoot any character you see before you have time to think if it's good or bad. Really fits this mod, and tactic price you pay for being too...scared.
Love the fact you pay ammo price on that level for wondering too much in it, for bad or repeated navigation. Love the notes....
Love the flickering lights....really great.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:51 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Scientists are full bright after death

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: