DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

MMC 2013 Released!
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Which map is your favorite from this MMC round?
No Turning Back
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Think B4 Pulling
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
The Luminary
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Don't Do It...
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Haunted
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 10
Total Votes : 10

AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 40
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:02 am
   Subject: MMC 2013 Released!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well, after several months of not much happening, I guess it's finally time to release the MMC 2013! Smile

Grab it here! ...and the patch

The maps are:

No Turning Back
Think B4 Pulling
The Luminary
Don't Do It...
Haunted

Also, can I get a moderator to put a poll in the post for voting? It seems I can't do that myself xP

Last edited by AlumiuN on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:31 am; edited 2 times in total
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 76

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:14 am
   Subject: Re: MMC 2013 Released!
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The poll has been added.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:32 am

I've just released a patch that fixes a couple of issues on one of the maps. You can get it here.
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 25
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:57 am

Just beat the first level. Sweet way to kick off the package, so congrats to the author. Let's see what the rest holds...

Ariel

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:21 am

5 votes so far, what did the voters think of this set? Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:58 am

I enjoyed the maps, for the most part. But IMO, "The Luminary" worked better for the switches concept than it did for its action. The action did get better towards the end, though.

"Haunted" had me stumped for a while, but ...
... eventually I figured out that a Mutant shows up and opens up the locked area you're trapped in. Surviving long enough to get to that point was pretty difficult, but the rest of the map was - thankfully - less overwhelming.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 164

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:28 am

It was a tough choice for me, but I went with "Think B4 Pulling". I was close to vote "Haunted", but the latter had better dynamics in regards to outside/inside atmosphere, and the logic needed to pull the correct switches had me re-starting the level one time. I thought all maps were fun to play. The opening level was great too, 'cause there were so many different atmospheres and they were all conjured up nicely. The weakest of the bunch for me was level 3, but it still doesn't change the fact that it was fun to play. Don't Do It... Had a lot going as well, seemed like a ginormous map.

I sincerely hope I'm in the mood for contributing a map for the next contest.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:54 am

I actually voted for level 3, perhaps not the best in terms of gameplay but I really, really dug the atmosphere of the level. The dark shading + black ceiling really stuck with me, hence why I voted for that one. But it was really close.

Quote:
I sincerely hope I'm in the mood for contributing a map for the next contest.

Beer
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:02 am

Very enjoyable levels, all five. Great package overall. My vote went to "Don't Do It...". Very pleasing aesthetically speaking and very clever in its unfolding of secret areas. A long and fun-to-play map. Kudos to whoever did it. I think I know who it was, based on the style. Have my guesses on the other four too, so let's see once the winner is announced...

Ariel

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Arielus wrote:
My vote went to "Don't Do It...".
That map was a close second in my book. It's neither linear nor logical in its design, yet its design is high-quality and extremely well-balanced. Not once was I able to predict what would be in the next room or hall. The concept of the map was extremely well-executed, and never seemed forced in any regard.

It's ashame the map didn't get better reception than it did, but next to Map #2, it's understandable. Level 2 was so overwhelming in terms of design and concept, it sort of seemed like unfair competition alongside the other maps, at least IMO.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:00 am

Alright folks, voting is finished! The maps were made by:

No Turning Back - AlumiuN
Think B4 Pulling - Ronwolf
The Luminary - AlumiuN
Don't Do It - Dean
Haunted - Ronwolf

The winner is therefore Ronwolf! Thanks also to Dean for taking part (and coming 2nd Razz). I think we put together a damn good set, and here's hoping the next is even better Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:20 am

Wow ... I never would've guessed that Ron did Map #5; it's very different content from what he usually does. The Ron-like puzzle elements are definitely there, though. Smile

There were a lot of concept-based maps here, and I'm very partial to maps of that type. So this was an unusually enjoyable set for me. My feedback for each map:

* No Turning Back. This is a very good concept for a map, and I like how you often went into one area with no way of knowing how you'd come back out. It never got tiresome at any point, but some areas (particularly the entrance) were under-decorated, IMO.

* Think B4 Pulling. As I said before, this map was a major standout in the MMC. First off, there were two different ways to get to the map's main area, so you could go through new experiences even if you'd beaten the map before. Second, the puzzles are extremely well-designed, and the design made it easy to tell what switch did what without insulting the player's intelligence. It's very difficult to do that sort of thing in anything - a game map, a story, or even a piece of music. The only downside I can think of for this submission is that the map probably won't have enough action for some Wolfers. But this map suited me just fine. Smile

* The Luminary. I have to say I enjoyed this one the least of the five. On a positive note, the switches elements in the map worked extremely well, and despite the fact that the switches appeared in many different environments, they never felt like they were misplaced. I don't know how I myself would put a large switch right in the corner of a living room and somehow make it work, but hats off to AlumiuN for pulling it off. However, the layout in the outdoor environments didn't look right to me in several places, primarily where the gates and fences were laid out. I personally would've used oil drums, trees, or a line of bushes until Directional Sprites were enabled in the EXE. Also, the action-related portions of the map didn't work nearly as well as they did in No Turning Back. There were many areas where all you could do was sit and wait for enemies to show up so you could shoot them; you couldn't go inside and shoot enemies as you journeyed along. That being said, the "large group of enemies" approach worked fine in the opening portion of the map, and in the boss encounter. Mostly though, the action in this map worked best when the enemies attacked in smaller droves, showing up in corners of the map or turns in a corridor.

* Don't Do It. This is my second favorite of the bunch. The map is top-notch in terms of concept, layout, sequences, action, and even hidden areas. The decoration is just right, the map is never predictable, and nothing in the map feels out-of-place, no matter what environment or sequence the map takes you into. The transition from one area to another is always smooth and never forced. There's not quite enough color in this map for my personal taste, but that's more a matter of personal preference. Smile

* Haunted. OMG - this map had me stumped for so long! I didn't occur to me that a Mutant would open up the very area I was trapped in, mainly because I kept dying before it ever happened. I simply kept shooting down one mutant after another, and it seemed as though it would never end. I did like the idea behind that map, but the fact is, far too much time goes by before that one Mutant opens up the door, and playing on another difficulty doesn't change that. Granted, once you emerge from the locked area, the map is far better, and the boss sequence - in a forest area, no less - works flawlessly thanks to good map design. The map layout as a whole is fine, and the transition from one area to another feels both graceful and natural. A good map overall, with lots of ingenuous design, but the first sequence left me too frustrated for me to enjoy the map more. Sad
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 54
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:20 pm

Congratulations to Ron, A really great map and a well deserved winner.

I'm really hoping we can get more people to enter next time, there are still plenty of Wolfers here who'd I'l like to see have a go at making a map, this isn't going to last long if just Ron and I keep driving this thing...

DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:07 pm

I have to say, I think my favourite overall was Haunted. The atmosphere of the level and the intensity of having to deal with the ghosts on top of the constant stream of mutants (which were brilliantly timed, at least for the speed I played it at) were fantastic, and I actually loved the starting area that gave you no way to retreat.

Having said that, I also thought that Think B4 Pulling and Don't Do It were very strong maps, both worthy of many votes. I really like areas where there can be death around any corner but also where a careful approach pays off, and in both maps there were areas where this was very true (especially the slime area in Don't Do It).

I'm not surprised that The Luminary was a bit maligned; I threw it together in the last day before I released the MMC. The original idea was to have 4 sections in the centre of the map, each with it's own theme, as the main drive behind the map, but that fell by the wayside a bit as I designed it and ended up being a bit more vanilla than I intended. I was also worried about whether I'd under-decorated No Turning Back in parts, I actually struggled to get the design of the blue/marble area right for some time. That map was an idea that did turn out exactly how I'd hoped, though, which was good.

Anyway, I hope we get the attention of some people on the Haven and some more people here so that the next MMC is even bigger. I would love to see a big MMC like there was back in 2007. Smile
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:34 am

Good way to start the new year, thanks for the votes! For me it was difficult to choose, the other three were really close. I actually thought Dean did the first map as well, so compliments to you AlumiuN! Don't do it was also fantastic, and I really dug The Luminary as well. Something about it's atmosphere that really resonated with me. Perhaps not the best map design, but I dug it a lot regardless.

Let's hope more will participate next time! Right now it's a matter of getting the engine done, and then posting on both forums.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:48 am

I'm working on a new MMC map at this point in time. It took about a week's-worth of work before I got the Shading right, and got the right colors for the game messages and Crosshairs. Again, I'm not 100% this design and concept is going to work, but I'll see what happens. Smile
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Here's the post for the new MMC executable so people can grab it. Ronwolf, as the winner of this MMC, I'll leave it up to you to create a new thread if you think it would be appropriate.
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:13 am

Congrats to ronwolf1705! It was no doubt a great map even when my favourite was Dean's. If memory serves right, this makes ronwolf1705 the winner three times in a row now, right? Reminds of me AReyeP's winning streak back when the first packages were released last decade...

Very entertaining package overall and definitely a sweet way to revive this competition. Thanks to everyone who took up of their time to contribute to this. I shall do my very best to take part in the next release.

Ariel

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:41 am

The timing of the mutants entering was indeed something that was tough to do, and as I expected it worked out for some and not for others. I think that is what ultimately makes the map for you or not.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:27 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Arielus wrote:
I shall do my very best to take part in the next release.
I always look forward to playing any submission of yours. Cool
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: