DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Treasure Hunt - RELEASED (yes, really)
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:48 pm
   Subject: Treasure Hunt - RELEASED (yes, really)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Treasure Hunt

Episode I: Escape from Gesundheit

So what on Earth is going on?

Simple: I am hereby releasing a new Wolfenstein 3D mod. Some of you might at this point be done with the initial shock and already asking obvious questions: Serpens releasing his own stuff? His own stuff that's not part of a community set? This never happens. And yet, here it is.

What can you expect, then? Vanilla gameplay and audiovisuals. Anything new or worth attention? Well, as lifted from the readme file, the feature list includes:

* ten new levels (thatís the big one, believe it or not);
    * a new executable by Andy (both DOS and SDL incarnations);
    * a guest level by ack (now youíll all download and play the mod just for this);
    * a slightly modified HUD;
    * a profound storyline (not really).

But that's not much at all!

Well, this depends on the point of view. Certainly the vanilla flavor of Wolfenstein is far from impressive in the day an age of Team Raycast or KFH Games. And ten levels (well, nine, since one is a guest map) definitely doesn't seem to be a lot, especially in the context of my first release ever (a full 60 level mapset) and the enormous amount of time between TR+NM and Treasure Hunt. On the other hand, believe me that I've spent quite a bit of time thinking up the concept and laboring over the levels. I rarely do anything Wolfenstein related these days, but when I do, I'm dedicated. And as for the vanilla flavor... I enjoy it, I know some people around here enjoy it as well, so that's good enough. I'm not going to try and convince anyone. Let me talk a bit about the premise instead.

As can be inferred based on the title, this mod is largely about treasure. In fact, most of the code changes are flavor changes meant to reinforce the treasure-centric theme. In Treasure Hunt, killing Nazis is merely a just and noble means of achieving the highest of goals: crowns (and lesser treasure as well). There's quite a bit, but not in ridiculous amounts. A lot of it is hidden. Out of the way. Guarded. Secret. Explore thoroughly and collect as much as you can, because that's what B.J. Blazkowicz wants to do.

About the maps, allow me to repeat that although there are only ten, I've spent a significant amount of time constructing and revising them, adjusting details and perfecting the designs. They have also been very thoroughly tested by MrWolfForever (a round of applause, please!) as well as myself, and thus are probably bug free. Are they carefully designed, meticulously decorated, creative and aesthetically pleasant? That's what they're meant to be. Challenging? Allegedly. Good and entertaining? Hopefully. My best work so far? That's a certainty. Does "best" equal "good"? You tell me.

At this point, I feel like I owe someone an apology, and this someone is Dean. Quite a long time ago, I recall asking Dean for help regarding textures and sprites for use in future mods. Dean was extremely helpful and provided me with an entire package. Well, here is my mod and none of those graphics made it into the release. I'm sorry. If I ever release anything else in the future, I will probably make use of some of those files. I need to get rid of some annoying vanilla textures anyway (I'm looking at YOU, Grey Brick 3)...

What else?

Oh, right, the profound storyline. Here you go:

Jorunal Entry no. [CLASSIFIED] Date [CLASSIFIED]

Actually, itís not classified at all. I just canít remember what day it is. My head hurts. They hit me good.

I can barely write, too. And not just Ďcause of the headache. Penís out of ink, so I had to use the dead guardís blood. And while Iím on the topic of dead guards Ė whatís up with that? Sure, I might be incompetent enough to get captured all the time, but then they always go ahead and waste their advantage by placing a complete nincompoop on guard. Next time theyíre gonna put a scarecrow in my cell.

No matter. I happen to know that they brought me to Castle Gesundheit or some other Whateverstein, which is exactly where I was supposed to go in the first place, so those suckers have only done my work for me. See, Castle Gesundheit is where that Nazi guy I was ordered to kill resides. His name was too difficult to remember, though, so Iíll have to kill them all just in case.

But thatís beside the point. I know one thing for sure Ė whenever the Germans move to their castles, they always seem to bring a whole heck of treasure with them. The bastard Iím gonna kill probably has all sorts of riches stolen from Turbanistan or whatever that country they conquered back in í39 was called Ė diamond crosses, gold chalices and those lovely royal crowns Ė all just lying around the place. Waiting for me. Good thing I asked mommy for some pants with big pockets.

Well, running out of ink. Itís kind of spilling on the floor too much. Time to finish this nonsense and go grab all those crowns. Hope theyíre not too well hidden this time. Walking from wall to wall and kicking them to unlock secret compartments ainít the most exciting job in the world. My right leg still hurts after that stupid Spear debacle.

P.S. Why do I even bring you on missions, you useless piece of paper?

That's it. Go download, play, tell me what you think. And, first and foremost, enjoy.

Last edited by serpens on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:46 pm
   Subject: Re: Treasure Hunt - RELEASED (yes, really)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Great post, serpens. Funny English wording here and there I must say, you Polish brat...

Gonna download this and give it a try as much as time permits. It'll be interesting to see the serpens/ack team-up effort you put together...

Take care,

Ariel

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:03 pm

Hell yeah, downloading this now! Smile
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

poland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:20 am

Thanks for the responses so far! I hope everyone is enjoying the mod.

One thing I still don't know is the current proper conduct regarding newly released mods while the Dome updates are suspended. Should I still send it to Brian anyway, or wait until he's back in shape? Or is there another person I'm supposed to send my mod to?

Arielus wrote:
Funny English wording here and there I must say, you Polish brat...

Funny as in "making you smile" or "used in an incompetent way"? As far as incompetence is concerned, I've got lots to spare. I'm still finding typos in the text. The MS Word spell checker wouldn't catch them for some reason, though, so I'm blaming everything on Microsoft.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:33 am

I think you're supposed to send it to stathmk

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:06 pm

MrWolfForever wrote:
Correct. Smile His website is still getting updates as recent as January 23rd.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:40 pm

Could players post their thoughts? I'm the tester, so especially interested in what others think. Smile

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:09 pm

MrWolfForever wrote:
Could players post their thoughts? I'm the tester, so especially interested in what others think. Smile
For those who haven't beaten the game yet, I've put my thoughts below in a "spoiler" area.

I've only gotten to Level One and Ten so far. These levels have everything that made me such a fan of Serpens in the first place. I haven't even made it through the first half of Level Ten yet, and I'm already feeling a craving to replay it from the beginning a second time. You know you've done a good mod when such a thing happens. Smile

Look forward to getting through the rest of the levels. I have no idea how this mod will wrap itself up, but I'm looking forward to seeing anything and everything it'll deliver along the way. Smile
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:30 pm

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, I'm just now getting back to the forums, but the title alone had me laughing (in a good way!). As for the mod being only ten levels, I don't count that as a bad thing. Some folks don't have the attention span for a full 60 level mod experience, my own more recent mods have ranged anywhere from 1 to 10 levels, 10 sort of being the standard (not counting my older stuff). You can get plenty done in just a few levels, I'm going to take a stab at this when I get a chance!

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 70
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:39 am
   Subject: Thank you.

Tricob wrote:
MrWolfForever wrote:
Correct. Smile His website is still getting updates as recent as January 23rd.
Thank you. I'll post it this week or next. Brian has a health problem and hasn't posted on The Wolf3D Dome since December.

I don't have time to check both forums every day. I have a jpg of my email address at the wolfensteingoodies.com home page so that only humans email me and spam bots won't scan for my email. You all have my permission to email mods and the threads for them to me. I might ask each person questions about what they want me to type about the mod onto my web site.

I found out last year that somebody plagiarized 57 out of 60 maps in his mod. Plagiarized Wolf 3D maps used without the creator's permission will not be used if somebody messages evidence to me that "ChaosEdit shows maps from such-and-such are plagiarized from such-and-such."
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:44 am

Back on-topic, I just finished Level 4. I'm really amazed at how well this map is designed. The room where the SS and brown guards are isolated is just genius. The two vary in speed just enough to throw you off, so they always end up covering more ground than you'd expect them to, or less ground altogether, leading to a lot of point-blank injuries. They're not "cheap hits" like I make them sound; it's the element of surprise used in a crafty fashion. The level was so large, I actually started disbelieving that it was just a 64x64 map, and looked it up in ChaosEdit afterwards, just to see how it was done.

Once again, I look forward to playing through the rest of this set. Smile
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

poland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 am

Tricob wrote:
The level was so large, I actually started disbelieving that it was just a 64x64 map, and looked it up in ChaosEdit afterwards, just to see how it was done.

Once again, I look forward to playing through the rest of this set. Smile

That's interesting, this level actually has quite a bit unused editor space left in a few places. Further levels are even more extensive, so wait until you see those! Anyway, I'm very happy that you're enjoying my mod to such an extent. I hope it doesn't let down. Good luck with your progress.

As per MrWolfForever's words, I encourage other players to post their thoughts here as well.

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:11 am

I have reviewed this mod for the Wolf3d Blog, the review will be released on friday. But I will say, for now, that I agree with Tricob: level 4 was a really well designed level. Smile
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

poland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 am

Ah, that is excellent to hear! I'll be waiting impatiently!

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:03 am

My review of this mod: http://deans-wolf-blog.blogspot.nl/2014/02/review-treasure-hunt.html
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

poland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:01 am
   Subject: Treasure Hunt - RELEASED (yes, really)

All right! Thank you for taking the time to review my mod, Ron! I'm very happy the review is so positive, too!

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:35 am

Sure thing! I really liked this mod, and I hope you'll continue on mapping. Smile
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:44 am

I know this is an old mod and an old thread, but am just now getting around to playing it. I've finished the first two levels and the secret level. Excellent and very fun mod so far. I loved the secret level, specifically the guards behind columns aspect as well as the use of good mapping and the game's AI to prevent the player from drawing out the enemies prior to alerting Hans Grosse. Looking forward to the rest of it.
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

poland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:01 pm

The thread is old, but mapsets are timeless! I'm glad you bothered to play this old thing and are actually enjoying it. While the secret level is perhaps my favourite in the entire set, I still say the maps should be generally getting better as the mod progresses. Have fun.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:44 pm

serpens wrote:
The thread is old, but mapsets are timeless!

Completely agree!

I just played floors 3 and 4 and want to say this keeps getting better.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:12 pm

I finished it this evening.

All in all, great 10 level set. I loved the design of some of these maps. I liked the arena-focused gameplay and the layouts designed so that alerted enemies would become trapped until the player got to a certain point. You would think you have cleared an area and then all of a sudden, 5-7 enemies sweep out of some cranny you otherwise would have overlooked. I liked that almost always there were enemies coming at you from every direction. It was excellent.

Decoration, wall texture variation, and atmosphere was top notch. 4, 7, and the secret level were my favorites.

I only have two questions. First, there is an area in floor 8 accessible with the silver key and officers behind columns and gold-key locked doors. The officers will come open the gold doors to allow the player in. If the player doesn't shoot one of the officers while in the doorway and doesn't yet have the gold key, they could get trapped in that room and the game is over for them. Was this intentional?

Secondly, there were quirky issues with the sound (music changing, random sound effects I've never heard in Wolf3d before) and my screen went garbled once. Not sure why this would happen, but I haven't experienced it before in any other Wolf4SDL mod.

All in all, excellent mod and if you haven't played it I would highly recommend giving it a go.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:19 am

@Barry, I largely agree with that review, so good review IMO. Smile

I think my favorites would also be 4/7/10. They are definitely among the ones I have the best memories of. I think 7 changes things up a bit just as they are starting to get slightly more predictable. 8 would be my least favorite; it could have used more time in the oven IMO. But that's not serpens' fault.

There isn't a way I can see to get stuck in Floor 8. Those sections also have a regular door to get out through from what I see on the map.
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

poland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:12 am

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the maps so much. Sounds like I managed to achieve what I aimed for.

About question 1: I assume you mean the leftmost part of the map, as seen in the editor? You're right, looks like you can get trapped there. Never noticed that problem, but then again, level 8 was ack's guest map and I wouldn't want to complain about his design choices anyway.

About question 2: absolutely no idea, never encountered any problems like that. Strange.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:01 pm

Barry wrote:
Secondly, there were quirky issues with the sound (music changing, random sound effects I've never heard in Wolf3d before) and my screen went garbled once. Not sure why this would happen, but I haven't experienced it before in any other Wolf4SDL mod.
It sounds like your download got corrupted, as you're not getting this problem with other mods. My first guess would be the AUDIO* files.
pwojo588

Topics: None
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:10 pm

serpens wrote:
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the maps so much. Sounds like I managed to achieve what I aimed for.

About question 1: I assume you mean the leftmost part of the map, as seen in the editor? You're right, looks like you can get trapped there. Never noticed that problem, but then again, level 8 was ack's guest map and I wouldn't want to complain about his design choices anyway.

About question 2: absolutely no idea, never encountered any problems like that. Strange.

hey there! i'm a good friend of balames87 (now known as johnlobo87) and he just downloaded this mod of yours and has trouble with the mouse settings. if you could and if you have time, could you go to his channel and see if you could get in contact with him? the problem is that he uses 'a s d w' for the keyboard and the mouse, too. when he is in actual playmode, b.j. spins around clockwise in the room. he really, really wants to play your mod.

thank you,
patricia Smile
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 35
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:30 pm

pwojo588 wrote:
serpens wrote:

hey there! i'm a good friend of balames87 (now known as johnlobo87) and he just downloaded this mod of yours and has trouble with the mouse settings. if you could and if you have time, could you go to his channel and see if you could get in contact with him? the problem is that he uses 'a s d w' for the keyboard and the mouse, too. when he is in actual playmode, b.j. spins around clockwise in the room. he really, really wants to play your mod.

thank you,
patricia Smile

That sounds like a joystick issue - does he have a joystick, and if so, is the joystick turned on?
pwojo588

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:25 pm

AlumiuN wrote:
pwojo588 wrote:
serpens wrote:

thank you,
patricia Smile

That sounds like a joystick issue - does he have a joystick, and if so, is the joystick turned on?

he doesn't use a joystick - just keyboard and mouse.
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

poland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:23 am

It's a peculiar issue because I'm pretty sure no code related to player controls was changed. Anyway, I sent him a PM on Youtube inquiring for more details, waiting for the response.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:39 am

What happens when the config file is deleted?
pwojo588

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:48 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

serpens wrote:
It's a peculiar issue because I'm pretty sure no code related to player controls was changed. Anyway, I sent him a PM on Youtube inquiring for more details, waiting for the response.

it is odd, i agree and thank you!!!
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: