DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Which map of your own is your favorite?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:53 am
   Subject: Which map of your own is your favorite?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

As the title states, which map you created yourself, is your favorite? Why does it stand out for you? Is it the end result or something peculiar in how it was developed?
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:29 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've always found it incredibly difficult to single out one map of my own that deserves first place. I mean, it changes just like my taste in music changes, my outlook on things... Everything is decided based on which mood I am in.

At the moment, I'm doing some maps for the first time in what seems like years and I really enjoy it. Some of those are my favorites. But then I look up an old warhorse like All This & Wolf 3D and could pick up countless maps. There are also a number of maps from Overkill which no longer exist that were my favorites.

But I don't know. I suppose my favorite is level 59 from All This & Wolf 3D, still... It was also a favorite of mine in 2008 when it made a reappearance in The Bitter End, but it's so difficult to decide. Stuff from my map set and more recent projects like Time to Kill... Level 8 called "Bleak", that's a good one... Probably my favorite more than the All This & Wolf 3D one... It really grabs you by the throat. Everything is grayed out! It's almost as if your monitor has lost its color index. That's a good one... But then again, it's hard to look at your body of work with objective eyes... I suppose it's an aging Wolfer thing. You know, if I could merge my grandiose ideas from All This & Wolf 3D & Overkill with the youthful productivity & stamina from my Possum days, I am certain I could make a handful of maps that would really satisfy me - and probably the entire community as well. There are still many worlds to conquer. I mean, I haven't even decently tried mapping with third plane features yet, and they've been the new shit for almost 10 years! Laughing

They say the best is always yet to come, and I've got a feeling that my personal favorite that I've done is still ahead of me.

I've also got countless maps with various stories, either amusing or just plain odd behind them. But I'm slotting it all in my mapping anthology which I'm redeveloping again, just for kicks, just to close the book on everything that I can in regard to my contributions to this community - hopefully before I'll release my new project, which hopefully will be sometime this year.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:16 pm
   Subject: Re: Which map of your own is your favorite?

About six months ago, I would've said the map for "Non-convergence4SDL". Looking at it now though, one sequence really would've worked better if I replaced it with something using mod-specific features (namely, the "SS and the well" area; a more interactive environment would've worked better, IMO).

So, I guess I'd have to say E5L10 from my "Kill BJ For SDL" mod. Many people know how partial I am to "concept-based maps", and E6L10 is one of the few in this set. While E6L6 had an ambitious enough concept for me, I now find there are a few areas which are sort of tedious to go through; because of the enemies' placement, you'd often spend a great deal of time just trying to cover a small distance on the map.

E5L10 is faster-paced overall, and has less repetition than E6L6. And since the two areas only converge at the beginning of the map, each "path" in the map has a greater opportunity to "go off and do its own thing". It makes the map more exciting and less predictable to me. This was one of the last maps to be completed for the mod, and it took a long time to get it done (or re-done, since it was a re-design). But I don't regret any second I invested in it. I'm very happy with the way it came out. Smile
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:48 pm

I have fond memories of The Golden Episodes's E5L09, Alliance of Powers's L15 and Operation Letzterschutz's E6L10...

I am still to this day happy with my -so far- three contributions to BrotherTank's Map of the Month contest, too...

Clearly not in the way map-making machine Thomas has, but I reckon I have contributed a fair share of maps to the SoD/Wolf3D catalogue, out of which those six have always echoed in my memory as some nicely done 64x64 challenges...

Ariel

DieHard SS

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:59 am

Mine is, unsurprisingly, one from Treasure Hunt. Not Level 4, though, but rather Level 1. There's nothing particularly exceptional about this one, I simply love the way it turned out, smooth, very fitting for a first level, and atmospheric in a way. I almost feel an emotional bond with this level, just like for E6L1 from Trilogy Revisited + Nocturnal Missions.

If we are to discard emotional feelings and judge strictly by quality, then levels 5-7 from Treasure Hunt are my best efforts so far and I can't really pick one from those three.

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:21 am

Arielus wrote:
I have fond memories of The Golden Episodes's E5L09, Alliance of Powers's L15 and Operation Letzterschutz's E6L10...

Could you perhaps elaborate what made these maps stand out in particular? Was it the end result, or something in the process of creating those maps?

Quote:
If we are to discard emotional feelings and judge strictly by quality, then levels 5-7 from Treasure Hunt are my best efforts so far and I can't really pick one from those three.

What makes these stand out for you?
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:06 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
What makes these stand out for you?

They are very extensive, open ended to an extent, with plenty of optional and secret areas, better balanced than my earlier levels (especially pre-Treasure Hunt ones), and they also represent the peak of my design and aesthetic capabilities.

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:36 am

serpens wrote:
and they also represent the current peak of my design and aesthetic capabilities.

Fixed that for ya. Mr Green
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:42 pm

For me there's a few that stand out that I'm really proud of;
- My entry for the August 2007 Map of the Month Competition. I spent a huge amount of time on that and feel that it's almost perfect to my vision and how the level functioned was exactly what I wanted. It didn't garner too many votes in the competition at the time (Although it was placed last in a long decent list of levels), but I did receive some very, very positive feedback from those that did get that far through to play it.
- One of my levels for SonderKommando: Revolt I thought was fantastic and just about the best (IMO) level I've ever made. It combines inside and outside environments, is great to play and is extremely asthetically pleasing also.
- There was a (mostly) outside, puzzle type level that Ron and I made together as one of the bonus maps in Operation Eisenfaust: Origins that I still love playing, It's so challenging and I always get huge enjoyment every time I play it still today.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Dean wrote:
- There was a (mostly) outside, puzzle type level that Ron and I made together as one of the bonus maps in Operation Eisenfaust: Origins that I still love playing, It's so challenging and I always get huge enjoyment every time I play it still today.

I remember that one, it was a lot of fun to create too! Smile
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:38 pm

My favourite level was one I worked on while working on Sonderkommando: Revolt. Unfortunately, not even the other members of Team Raycast got to see it finished, as it was on the same flash drive as the source code I lost, but it was the only level I've ever made where I felt I'd actually managed to pull off what I wanted to do. It was based on my MMC map 'Right In Two' that was part of the unreleased MMC set, but with many, many additions, and featured a railyard, a cold storage area (using snow and tiled walls) and perhaps the best outdoor area I've ever managed to create. Mind you, the tileset for SK:R was expansive and the features were incredible, which is probably why it turned out so well. I'm hoping that my own project (currently underway, albeit very slowly) will have the same sort of variety that will allow me to have such free reign with things again. As it stands, though, the new MMC is helping me indulge some of the more interesting ideas I've had for maps; never underestimate what you can do with pushwalls. Very Happy
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:22 am

I think some of my favorite levels aren't actually released yet. I made them for DooM: Legions Revisited by insurrectionman, but those might never get a release. Still, I love those levels a lot. Design-wise they were some of the best I ever did: very AReyeP-ean, with each action sequence having a definite challenge to it, and I feel the features were used in different ways constantly. I really enjoyed working on those levels, and I do hope they will still see the light of day somewhere in the feature.

As for released stuff, I think my most focused effort is Bound. Individual levels I liked are Raised and Elevators from SoD Extreme, because both are aesthetically some of my best while also being interesting gameplay-wise. I dig those last 5 levels from Eisenfaust Origins, because that red shading and the destruction was so inspiring. And I always considered the MMC maps to be the most fun to create.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:22 am

I always admired those of you who made a number of maps that eventually weren't released originally. I mean... When I hear of those you did for insurrectionman's mod, Ron, I kind of wish I had something similar, you know, maps that are there and fully playable but not available to others. It gives it all a touch of mystery.

Again, speaking of favorite maps, I'd completely forgotten about level 23 in Time to Kill. It was really a monster to test. It just shows no mercy at all. A lot of good maps in that mod...
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:30 am

Thomas wrote:
When I hear of those you did for insurrectionman's mod, Ron, I kind of wish I had something similar, you know, maps that are there and fully playable but not available to others. It gives it all a touch of mystery.

To be honest, I'd rather have less mystery and more released stuff. Laughing At this point I'd be fine if they are turned into a mappack and just be released for his engine.
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:11 pm

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Arielus wrote:

Could you perhaps elaborate what made these maps stand out in particular? Was it the end result, or something in the process of creating those maps?

For The Golden Episodes's E5L9, please see here: http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=2101. My opinion on it has not changed since my messages in that thread were posted.

Alliance of Powers's L15 comes to mind as potentially the first map I designed where virtually no (annoying) backtracking is necessary. By that I mean that the progression is such that the player does not need to go back to already-visited areas; everything is connected in a way that you can finish the level without reversing in your trajectory, and this makes for a never repetitive journey if the player follows the intended path. Coupled with that, at the time ack and I worked on this mapset this specific level seemed to me like my best work to date - both in terms of gameplay and aesthetics. It remains my favourite odd-numbered level in the mod.

Operation Letzterschutz's E6L10 was very fun to build as the mod offered quite a nice number of goodies to play with. This level too had a fair deal of a no-backtracking-is-necessary approach, but at a certain point the player is forced to go through a ghost-infested warehouse for the second time, which was the intention. I remember sketching part of this map on paper while waiting for my train to leave Constitución station on my way back from work, and this I usually don't do. The overall layout come out quite close to what I had envisioned. The tune accompanying the level contributed to the eerie atmosphere I hoped to create. I wish Balames87 had included this level part of the walkthrough of the mod he posted on YouTube.

Ariel

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Thanks for your answers, very interesting! Smile
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:43 pm

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Individual levels I liked are Raised and Elevators from SoD Extreme, because both are aesthetically some of my best while also being interesting gameplay-wise. .

Elevators is easily in my top few vanilla Wolf levels of all time, I must've played that thing 20 times when you made it, and that was before the mod was even released! IMO, it's just complete mapping brilliance.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:47 am

^^ Thanks Dean! I personally think Treed Under and Circles are two of the most unique vanilla Wolf levels of all time.
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:57 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
^^ Thanks Dean! I personally think Treed Under and Circles are two of the most unique vanilla Wolf levels of all time.

Thanks Ron, thats very kind of you, I enjoyed making that mod probably more then any mod I've ever worked on and I think it shows in the levels I made. It's funny because my favourite level from that set isn't either of those! Razz

ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:36 am

Yeah, it definitely was a lot of fun to work on! And now I'm curious, which one was your favorite? Mr Green
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:45 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Yeah, it definitely was a lot of fun to work on! And now I'm curious, which one was your favorite? Mr Green

Lvl 3 Reloaded!

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: