DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

"Wolfenstein 3D: The Deluxe Edition" without bugs?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:13 pm
   Subject: "Wolfenstein 3D: The Deluxe Edition" without bugs?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well, it took forever for it to get done, but the new update of WolfDX is *finally* ready to be beta-tested, and the control works a lot better now. I could just beta-test it myself, and release it right afterward. But I'd like others to try it out and see if there's something that slipped by me. It happens. Smile

So, is there anyone who'd like to try out this update before its official release? Just post here, and I'll PM you a link. The update has a hi-res version of that grey column from Wolf3D, one additional map (excluding the secret level), a "chaingun ammo" fix for Level 3 (as Chaingun ammo was too scarce in the "Ammo Crates hallway"), improved control, and numerous other bugfixes. Level 4 has a new music track, a new weapon type, and two new enemy types ... including "Jaws".

Last edited by Tricob on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:57 pm
   Subject: Re: "Wolfenstein 3D: The Deluxe Edition" without bugs?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Just wondering, does this include the levels I remember liking those levels and wonder if they made the cut.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:04 pm

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Just wondering, does this include the levels I remember liking those levels and wonder if they made the cut.
If you're talking about your map submissions, no - I'm afraid those didn't make the cut. I actually don't have your maps at this point in time. Sad

I liked those levels myself. I know at least some parts of your maps used features that didn't make it in the final version of WolfDX. You used "Jaws" in at least one map, and many of his features still aren't implemented yet. I designed the map of Level 4 as I did to hide the fact that Jaws isn't as functional as I'd like him to be.

Another feature missing is the "rats". I had ripped these graphics without permission from the Halls Of Stonehenge mod. I'd intended to redo the graphics with film clips and clay models as a reference. But the palette is so messy, it's not even practical to work with. Designing one single sprite (the grey column) was a nightmare for me. I'm really not up to redesigning an 8-directional character with the palette this game uses.

Lastly, many floor/ceiling tiles and wall textures have been moved around, updated, or replaced since the maps were made. I don't even know how many Ron maps have survived the transition. Sad

If you want your maps in this mod, I'm not going to say no. So, if you wish to try out the mod and see how your maps work with it, just let me know. Smile
RichterBelmont12
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 97
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:17 pm

I can give it a shot Smile

https://www.facebook.com/RichterBelmont123

https://twitter.com/Richterbelmont6
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:20 pm

Tricob wrote:
ronwolf1705 wrote:
If you're talking about your map submissions, no - I'm afraid those didn't make the cut. I actually don't have your maps at this point in time. Sad

I liked those levels myself. I know at least some parts of your maps used features that didn't make it in the final version of WolfDX. You used "Jaws" in at least one map, and many of his features still aren't implemented yet. I designed the map of Level 4 as I did to hide the fact that Jaws isn't as functional as I'd like him to be.

Another feature missing is the "rats". I had ripped these graphics without permission from the Halls Of Stonehenge mod. I'd intended to redo the graphics with film clips and clay models as a reference. But the palette is so messy, it's not even practical to work with. Designing one single sprite (the grey column) was a nightmare for me. I'm really not up to redesigning an 8-directional character with the palette this game uses.

Lastly, many floor/ceiling tiles and wall textures have been moved around, updated, or replaced since the maps were made. I don't even know how many Ron maps have survived the transition. Sad

If you want your maps in this mod, I'm not going to say no. So, if you wish to try out the mod and see how your maps work with it, just let me know. Smile

To be honest, I don't even know if I have still have those maps myself. I'll have a look and see if I can find them, but I fear it is pretty safe to assume that these maps do not work for the 'new' WolfDX.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:06 pm

ronwolf1705 wrote:
To be honest, I don't even know if I have still have those maps myself. I'll have a look and see if I can find them, but I fear it is pretty safe to assume that these maps do not work for the 'new' WolfDX.
They'd still function; in fact, all of them will be quite "beatable". The question is just how much of the map will function. Smile I probably have an obsolete version of WolfDX sitting around that has your maps. It might even be on the harddisk I'm using now. I'm just not so sure what ZIP it's located in. But I definitely have a copy of all your maps someplace. Smile

At any rate, I sent you a PM of the WolfDX beta, if you want to poke around with it. Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:36 pm

Ron - I found your maps in a mapset with the extension "60". I used this as a backup when I shrank the number of maps the game used. Through this process, I've identified six maps of this set as being yours. For the time being, I'll extract the maps in a separate 10-level Gamemaps, and test them out. I might supply you with a hack of the EXE that runs six maps instead of four; that'd be the easiest way to run all the maps. If I'm able to have the EXE run the Ron mapset with different filenames other than GAMEMAPS and MAPHEAD, we could get away with having your mapset and mine in the same WolfDX game. You'd just have three additional files in all. Geek
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Ron - I plan to move to a bigger harddisk this Saturday or Sunday. Please report any WolfDX bugs you find before then, if you can. Thank you. Smile

The only bug I've found (other than the self-running demos, which are disabled) is a mapping error on my part; there's an elevator door where there should be a normal door. This is near the end of Level 4, Episode One.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:47 pm

If I can find any, I'll let you know.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks. Smile I'll send you a link to the newest beta. This update will include the Tab+J feature, which lets you change the in-game music to another track in AUDIOT. Just make a note of which tracks you want for each map. Any track other than the High Scores, End Level, or Main Menu music is fine.

Note that the "teleport" feature doesn't work right in the saved games, at least the last time I checked. IIRC, it gets bad data if the saved game sends you to a different map. The same would also go for Portable Medkits. I believe the answer is to store the data of all these somewhere in the second plane of the map, on the bottom row. Things like map coordinates can be stored in one byte, and written in one map square, which you absolutely need to do if you're writing to the map in the middle of a "for" loop (as is done with WL_GAME).

Edit: The link to the beta is found in your newest PM.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:13 pm

Ron - I figured out that bug you reported involving the player's speed. The player's speed actually doesn't go up and down; the game's speed as a whole goes too high when the framerate is higher than a certain number.

To fix this problem, press Tab+V, and enter in "1". This sets the "extra VBLs" to 1, preventing the game from going "too fast". I'll provide a fix for this problem soon. In the meantime, feel free to abuse the Tab+V feature mercilessly. Thank you. Smile
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Alright, will do.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:56 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've sent you a PM with the fix. Smile

It turns out the code *was* set to 1 as a default, but the code kept "forgetting" it. So it's now hard-coded to use 1 "extra VBLs" all the time.

I also included a more up-to-date version of the first "Hint Bubbles" file, and fixed a bug where "clutter" appeared on the "Level Completed" screen on resolutions like 800x600 and 1024x768. All other changes relate to the GAMEMAPS files, over 90% of which relate to the door types, and the floor/ceiling textures above and below them. The secret level has some minor changes in enemy placement.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: