DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Map of the Month Q2 2014 Release!
Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Which map did you enjoy? (you can choose up to 3)
Switchback (Adam Biser)
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Interloper (AlumiuN)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Antartica (Ronwolf)
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Vladivostok (Ack)
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Ash Wednesday (AlumiuN)
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Twists And Turns (Adam Biser)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Meet My Friends (Ack)
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Heavy Machinery (AlumiuN)
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
A Vacuous E'ning (Arielus)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Telekinesis (Ronwolf)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Voted : 7
Total Votes : 19

Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:52 am
   Subject: Re: Map of the Month Q2 2014 Release!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Sadly, I doubt I will finish the rest of the levels by the cutoff time. My apologies to everyone who made maps.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 173
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:05 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

You could just take what percentage of maps you've played, multiply it by 3, round to the nearest whole number, and place that many votes (to maps you've played).

In fact that's what I did, as I played three of the maps earlier this month but then decided to play the MMC in order. So I made one vote.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 41
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:51 pm

Alright folks, the results are in! I don't know how to edit the poll, so here's the authors of each map:

Switchback - Adam_Biser
Interloper - AlumiuN
Antartica - Ronwolf
Vladivostok - Ack
Ash Wednesday - AlumiuN
Twists And Turns - Adam_Biser
Meet My Friends - Ack
Heavy Machinery - AlumiuN
A Vacuous E'ning - Arielus
Telekinesis - Ronwolf

The winner is Ack's Meet My Friends with 4 votes, followed by Adam_Biser's Switchback and AlumiuN's Ash Wednesday with 3 votes each!
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 25
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:51 pm
   Subject: Map of the Month Q2 2014 Release!

I am very happy to see ack winning this. If there was someone who I personally thought deserved to win this thing and so far hadn’t, it was certainly him. Great, great level and no doubt worthy of victory, even when I personally thought ‘Vladivostok’ was actually better. Many, many congrats!

Following are my honest thoughts on the nine levels I did not author. I have spoilered them this time as I realize some people may still be playing the package even when the poll has now expired; sorry if by not doing this in the Q1 2014 thread I spoiled things for anyone; that was honestly not my intention... Anyway, here they go:

1. Switchback:
This level has an old-school feel to it, right from the opening room...
The wooden area is especially 90’s in its layout and object placement...
I like how you have to walk quite a decent mileage before you get to find the first key... Makes you think you’ve walked a long way and the show has only just begun...
After seeing how the metallic blocks in the central area behave, I guess I understand that ‘Switchback’ may actually refer to the fact that you need to make your way back by flipping down switches...
I am afraid figuring out that the same switches have to be pushed multiple times might take a bit of time and unnecessary backtracking for players to realize; in my runs through the level I sure experienced a long learning curve that, I’ll admit, was a bit close to discouraging me from playing further, but I wonder how others might have felt... Or maybe this is exactly what ‘Switchback’ refers to and it was I that got lost in translation somewhere...
The level’s old-school feel is increased as there’s no shading to go with it, and as you only have to find the golden and silver keys to take your departure...
Who I know designed it: Adam Biser
Why: Adam sent it to me while there was still some time to submit entries. He and I had been in contact regarding the contest for a few months and he was looking for feedback on how this map looked and played before sending it to AlumiuN.

2. Interloper:
Interesting, certainly unconventional, opening room. A nicely-done central section leading to a variety of different scenarios well decorated and decently action-packed.
Nice tune to go with the level too; to me it feels like it adds a welcome extra bit of suspense; what game is it from? Is it Blake Stone?
Unless it was the mapper’s intention, I noticed a bit of a problem with the secret area next to the section where you pick the silver key; something’s up here that prevents the guards keeping the key from noticing you if you decide to go into the secret area before going for the key; probably something caused by using different floor codes...
Opening some secrets result in a few distracting wall clashes as well...
I would have welcomed shading to go with the level, too...
Overall, quite an entertaining level with a fitting tune...
Who I think designed it: AlumiuN
Why: Something about a certain ‘roundness’ of several rooms and of the corners of some passages, the Angel of Death arena reminiscent of the Schabbs arena in ‘Vault-Face’, and the overall amount of decoration employed...

3. Antartica:
The first thing I thought was “there’s a ‘c’ missing here...”. Google then schooled me in that the spelling is right in certain languages...
Great atmosphere here, definitely innovative in terms of design. The level looks like a loft apartment in that it’s a huge area where it feels that there is no separation of rooms, just a large landscape you can navigate through... The fog enhances this feeling of vastness and near neverendingness...
Nice secret areas at some points that you can access by walking through passable bush walls... This may be one of the very few cases where walking through a wall looks effective to me...
I think the enemy blocker outside one of the Ubermutant areas is a bit unnecessary; it provides too much of an advantage for the player (though maybe this was the mapper’s intention); granted, the baddy can still ‘break free’ if you ‘help’ him bypass the blocker, but all the same I think things would have worked more effectively had he been able to come out of the room and chase the player with no stops whatsoever... I for one would have enjoyed an unrelenting chase across the blizzard fields...
I like the ‘mysterious’ way the level ends; makes me want to see an ‘Antartica 2’ or ‘Return to Antartica’ level that picks up where this one leaves off...
Interestingly enough (or not necessarily so), I found no place to make use of the red key...
Who I think designed it: ronwolf1705
Why: The innovation factor most importantly... Also, the rear truck placement reminds of ‘Think B4 Pulling’...
My third favourite level of the package. This one gets the first of my three votes.

4. Vladivostok:
I think this engine allows for the creation of very nice outdoor –especially snowy– environments. This levels makes perfect use of that capability. The decoration feels balanced as it is neither cluttery nor sparse, and the amount of snow hitting the player complements this in an effective, not distracting way.
This map seems humongous. After travelling all of its mileage and backtracking where it became necessary, I took an average of 35 minutes to complete this level. No complaints at all, though; it was a most fun ride as new and new areas opened up and, with that, more and more baddies to confront showed up.
I especially like the long passage adorned with torches that leads to the barrels and trucks with the nighttime texture behind them.
I struggled a bit resource-wise, but not distractingly so.
One aesthetics qualm I do have: the exit elevator does not look entirely right being out in the open, though granted – this may have very well been the mapper’s intention.
I thought the name here might refer to the administrative center of Primorsky Krai, Russia (Russia being a cold country for the most part, and this level being very winter-like too); turns out the wink is actually to a song of the same name by a Canadian band called Prism. I have not listened to said song, but maybe the song itself speaks of this city?
Who I know designed it: ack
Why: ack shared with me an early version of the map when we were working on ‘Born Again’. I remember the map being ‘naked’ in that much of the decoration –and enemies– had not yet been placed. I was sure it would make a great level if he ever applied the missing touches.
My favourite level of the package. This one gets the second of my three votes.

5. Ash Wednesday:
The name of this level made me think there would be no food available anywhere, and when I saw that you start with only the knife I also thought “there’s likely to be no ammo anywhere, either...” Turns out neither was the case!
Also, starting the level like you do, I felt I was a Nazi (more precisely, a brown guard) myself. Was that the mapper’s intention?
Some nicely laid out scenarios here... Good action from start to finish... Quite an enjoyable ride...
This level has what is likely to be the most peculiar ending sequence I remember seeing in SoD/Wolf3D. When I saw the artifact of death and realized there was no way out of the room I thought I had to kill myself and restart the level; turns out you do have to kill yourself, only to finish the level! Kudos to the author for the innovation factor. The sequence leading to the final room is nicely executed, too... So, instead of giving yourself to God, you give yourself to the other guy?
Like in ‘Interloper’, opening some secrets result in a few distracting wall clashes...
Why: The opening room is very similar to the early rooms in the previously unreleased ‘The Train!’. Also, the ‘isolated’ usage of the vines reminded me of ‘Vault-Face’.
My fourth favourite. Would have gotten a vote from me had four votes been allowed.

6. Twists And Turns:
Like level 1, this level too has an old-school feel to it. The way the layouts are designed, especially the wooden section again, and the treasure and overall object placement feels very 90’s to me... The same lack of shading contributes to this, too...
Very cool SoD/Wolf3D tune to go with the level...
Like in ‘Switchback’, I like how certain ‘ambushes’ await the player on his/her way back to already-visited areas; here I especially like the one that uncovers the white key... this technique makes the backtracking I tend to try to avoid in my maps actually meaningful, as there can be surprises even when you think you already have the situation under control. The section with the ever-moving black marbles guarding the silver key is a nicely-done challenge, too... I was sad to see a few wall clashes in this approach, though...
The mutants close to the end were a welcome surprise in a map filled with ‘regular’ foes, and the closing section is nicely laid out... I like those walls and the lights decorating them...
Who I know designed it: Adam Biser
Why: Same reason stated in my comments on ‘Switchback’.

7. Meet My Friends:
Very nice tune choice to go with the level; it helps build an atmosphere of suspense/eeriness for a few seconds/minutes before you encounter the first hordes.
It is quite fitting too at times when you’ve unleashed a boss and don’t know from where he/she might sneak up on you.
Interesting decision to have the crosses award 30,000 points to the player.
I really like the architecture of the section where you wake up Hans Grosse and that of the lounge past the red key door.
The library section looks very nice too; first time I played the level I kept trying to push floor lamps as I was sure there’d be a secret somewhere... shows you what I know!
I struggled ammo-wise, much more markedly so that in ‘Vladivostok’, probably because I didn’t realize that Hitler and Schabbs do not have to be dispatched mandatorily (I don’t know why I thought they had to, when by the time they got loose I already had all four keys...) Also, is Schabbs tougher than usual in this EXE? I would swear I unloaded one hundred rounds at very close range and he kept throwing syringes at me... (I think the same happened when I played ‘The Train!’)
Very clever entrance/exit elevator trick. First time I’ve seen it used... First time I played this it took me a decent while to realize where the **** the exit was, as looking inside the entrance elevator is definitely the last place you’d go look...
Who I know designed it: ack
Why: The overall awesomeness of the design, and the characteristic use of the columns and the chandeliers. ack then confirmed it was indeed his in a private conversation.
My second favourite level of the package. This one gets the third of my three votes.

8. Heavy Machinery:
Before playing this level for the first time, for some reason the name made me think that there would be lots of ammo and weaponry scattered everywhere; at least, lots of machine guns... Another ‘lost in translation’ problem, most likely...
In the second room, behind the crystal panels, those four sets of ever-moving metallic blocks supposedly powered by the generators accompanying them give the feeling that they are like the engines powering the rest of the moving things in the level... Nice effect; if that was the mapper’s intention, then kudos... So, this is most probably what ‘machinery’ intends to foreshadow...
Plenty of different layouts and a few nice challenges along the way. Nice ambushes set up for the backtracking player...
I like the Blake Stone tune, too... If memory serves, it is the first tune you get to listen to when you start episode one in ‘Aliens of Gold’ (what a nice game...)...
Like in ‘Centrifuge’, a few guards (I experienced it only with SS’s) had ‘toy’ weapons every time I met them after backtracking. Something’s up either in the map or the EXE itself that makes these guys inflict no harm when shooting the player...
Like in ‘Interloper’ and ‘Ash Wednesday’, there are a few unfortunate wall clashes, this time resulting from not just opening up secrets, but also from switch-activated pushwalls at work... I do realize, though, that I keep b****ing about this when some mappers may very well do this on purpose because either they don’t mind, or because they actually like the way things look...
Why: The garden layout reminds me of the one in ‘Vault-Face’, though I like this one much better; nice rain to go with it, too. The Death Knight arena is very him, too (I wonder if there’s an enemy blocker here too? For some reason, every time I played this level the fellow seemed to remain confined within a few steps from where he first spots you... Also, I only found the hidden chaingun to take him down only after he’d already been taken down...). Lastly, this is the third level I think is by him that uses a non-SoD/Wolf3D tune, which makes me think all the more it is the same author behind all three...

10. Telekinesis:
Definitely an innovative level; probably the first ever released that exploits the ever-moving pushwalls feature this way.
To some extent, I enjoyed the challenge of having to wade through the scenarios being extra careful of the fast-moving metallic blocks; the insanity of the zillion bosses scattered and how they dropped like flies was humorous too. Had to save quite, quite often though...
A bit more generosity in terms of decoration would have been welcome; however, like ‘Shoot Wisely’ before it, I understand that this level is meant to be more of a puzzler and not really a place where people actually live in (ronwolf1705’s words, if memory serves)... I guess the use of shading, if anything, would have helped...
If ‘Ash Wednesday’ has a most unusual ending sequence, then this level is a close runner-up in that regard... Hitting a moving elevator switch? I daresay this might the very first time this approach has been used since map editors became available for SoD/Wolf3D... that, unless ‘Temporary Insanity’, ‘Chokster’s Super Chokage’ or some other insane mod devised by an even more insane mind did it first...
All in all, I think the level name is quite fitting; the tune accompanying the action contributes to the sense of ‘vertigo’ the author just probably intended to create and which, in my opinion, actually achieved...
Who I think designed it: ronwolf1705
Why: No doubt the innovation factor. The fact that he did not include the level in the poll when he first added it to this thread makes me doubt a bit (I don’t know if the level was not in the back of his mind because he actually didn’t do it, or if this was in fact a trick to throw folks off; I do remember, though, the same thing happening with ‘Born Again’ in the previous package - it was not there the first time the poll was put up, so maybe there’s a glitch somewhere affecting the last option of a poll that only gets corrected once one updates the poll...); all the same, silly speculations aside, I believe this level is indeed of his making based, primarily, on the level of experimentation employed – and the innovation resulting from it.

Thanks once more to everyone who took part in this, not just those who contributed maps but also those who played them and voted on them. Many thanks also to those who take up of their time to post their thoughts on the levels, and many thanks again to AlumiuN for resurrecting this community effort and maintaining it updated by fixing every bug reported and indulging us with every addition we ask for...

Looking forward to the next package!

Cheers,

Ariel

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 168
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:23 pm

Congratulations on the winners. Here are my thoughts on the maps:

1- Switchback. For those who like the Wolf3D "feel", this one re-creates that environment very well. The decoration always seems to be the perfect level, the sequences are never frustrating, and the difficulty level is about right. I'd encourage the mapper to invest a little more time in strategy, though; the map doesn't do much to surprise the player. A little thing like alerting guards from two different rooms at once would be welcome, IMO.

2 - Interloper. I thought this one did a good job at veering away from some Wolf3D aspects while keeping others intact. This is what I feel the MMC concept is all about IMO, so the map gets a slightly higher rating in my book. Still, it does suffer from the same problems as the previous map, along with a Pushwall-related problem related to conjoined floorcodes.

3 - Antartica. This does a good job at creating a winter environment, the decoration seems to be about right, and the map manages to keep the suspense level high. Given the lack of visibility in the level though, I didn't really think a boss fight (let alone two) was really a good way to go. It did work fine in Level 10 of TotenkopfSDL, but that's because the boss was never too far away from the player. So, putting a boss in an environment with limited visibility - this is something that should only be done with very careful planning.

4 - Vladivostok. I'll admit, this map really tested my patience. Each area seemed to take about five minutes to get through each and every time, and several times, I got so stumped that I actually looked at the map through an editor to see what to do next. A puzzle can work well if you give enough hint to the player as to what he should do next. This level - to me, least - failed to do that. Granted, whenever the map delivered strategy into the equation, it always yielded excellent results. But there were too many times - in my mind - where you're stuck simply wandering around, and most of what you see along the way is a bunch of dead enemies, and some trees and bushes. The way I see it, if you create a map that requires this much backtracking, the only way it will work is to create numerous areas that are interesting to maneuever through multiple times. To me, this map achieved no such results. Ultimately, the highest point of the map is the area with the fences, and the enemies the fences barricaded. Everything in this general area works well - It doesn't take too long to go from one area to another, the action-based strategy is effective, and it overall looks very good. It's a thoroughly well-constructed part of the map.

5 - Ash Wednesday. This is one of my favorite levels of the bunch, and only Level 8 managed to score better in my book. Thanks to the non-linear layout of the map, the intrigue factor was extremely high for me, and there was absolutely no way I could predict what the map would deliver next. It made the whole experience extremely exciting. With that being said, I found it too easy to kill all the enemies by accident. Hiding some enemies behind a Pushwall would have fixed this problem. Whatever the case, this one definitely got my vote.

6 - Twists and Turns. Despite its lack of decoration, this map plays very well. The mapper seemed to reduce the amount of visible objects so it wouldn't distract the player from whatever goal the map strove to achieve, be it strategy, environment, or both. In this case, that approach works extremely well, and not one single sequence seems out of place. As much as I like decoration, I have to give this map a vote, as I'd really like to see more of this sort of thing in the future.

7 - Meet My Friends. On the plus side, the layout of this map works very well, and while the level does require a lot of backtracking, it doesn't go to the point where it drags everything down; you can generally get to wherever it is you want to go in less than sixty seconds. However, the map is laid out in such a way that it takes a long time to get rid of all the threats in the vicinity. Once or twice is okay, but the map does this countless times. Add to that, it felt like I had to read the mapper's mind in order to figure out what to do next. Like Level 4, I didn't see much of any visual clue what I should do next. People who think more creatively will probably feel different, but for me, the whole level left me more frustrated than anything else.

8 - Heavy Machinery. I always envisioned AlumiuN's Pushwall code used to create an exciting environment like this. You have no idea how happy this map made me feel when I played it. Nothing in the level gets lost in its transition from idea to gameplay. I was always so immersed in the game, I never really cared if the layout looked right or not. This is - to me - what separates a good map from a bad one. If I played just one map from this set over again from the very beginning, it'd be this map right here. It definitely gets a vote.

9 - A Vacuous E'ning. This is a map that I thought had an excellent start: You were placed in a room where the Switches concept was introduced, and it was done in such a way that you weren't overwhelmed by it. Then a boss appeared, you bailed yourself out of trouble by going through a teleport, and then before you was another teleport, and there was no way to predict where it would bring you, nor what kind of situation it would put you into. It was a perfect example of both intrigue and suspense. After that though, you were required to (literally) push one of the objects around, and there was nothing in the map beforehand to tell you that this map would require such a thing; you were just left in the dark. After this, you were brought back into the winter environment, only now were facing some Officers. This wouldn't bother me so much except for one thing - you pretty much had to alert the Officers one at a time, kill that one, then go on to the next one. It was a very slow-paced way - IMO - to go through an area. From there on out, you pretty much killed everyone off the map's way rather than the player's way; it really slowed down the pace of the level. This approach - IMO - only works if it's done sparingly. Normally - if the enemy presents himself - I think the player should be able to choose whether to attack the enemy from a distance, or wait for the enemy to come to him. On a brighter note, the map - IMO - worked well when the Switches unveiled areas of the map you couldn't get to before. I thought this part was always executed extremely well, and since the map's layout always created the atmosphere perfectly, it only added to the enjoyment. But I was always wanting the combat aspect to work as well as the rest of the map.

Level 10 - Telekinesis. The "Runaway Pushwalls" take center stage here, and they really carry the level through most of the way. Some of the scenarios do well in creating an element of suspense, but near the end, all I was doing was sitting around, waiting for dozens of bosses to get wiped out by a bunch of moving walls. That was no fun for me, but the map redeemed itself with the end, where the elevator itself was running around on its own, so I chased it down to flip it up and end the level. That was fun! I also figured out that I could time it right and flip the switch from a safe distance, which was also a fun thing to do. It was unique that there was more than one way to end the level, even though the goal was pretty much the same. It makes the map a good conversation piece.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:37 pm

AlumiuN wrote:
I don't know how to edit the poll, so here's the authors of each map ...
I've edited your post for you. The way to make the changes is to edit the first post of the thread. Let me know if this doesn't work for you. Smile
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 41
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:54 pm

Tricob wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:
I don't know how to edit the poll, so here's the authors of each map ...
I've edited your post for you. The way to make the changes is to edit the first post of the thread. Let me know if this doesn't work for you. Smile

I tried that, it didn't come up with the option to edit polls. I think only moderators can create and edit polls outside of the Polling Booth.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 76

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:56 pm

Congratulations, ack! A well deserved victory for a fantastic map, which had my vote as well.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:41 pm

I've only played three levels so far (and did them all in early October, before the Anthology release):

Meet My Friends
A Vacuous E'ning
Telekinesis

Because I had only played a third of the pack, I only submitted one vote. However each level was very good and the vote I made was for a very particular reason. More in the spoilers:

Meet My Friends:
When I look back at it, this level is a worthy winner, even though it isn't the one I voted on. I definitely like how you fight a lot of bosses and they teleport into different locations so you never know when one will spook you. Ammo is the trickiest part in this level - it initially looks like you have plenty, but in reality with the bosses you only have just enough. I did have to restart the level, but it's in part my own carelessness - I should know better than to assume there's just a bunch of excess ammo and I can be rather reckless. Once I properly knew what was coming, there isn't much I can fault about this level. All the elements are there and the bosses didn't feel done to me in a way that was overkill, in fact I kind of like levels where you can strategically fight all the bosses in the game. The only other of its kind I know is the last level of Deadly Sleep, with that level being the Spear bosses. I was stumped looking for a way to get to those ammo cases near the start you can't actually reach - for a time I dismissed them as being red herrings, until I realized in the final fight what they're about. I didn't know the code allowed switched to move static objects. I did read that spoiler about pushing the walls to get the Officers' ammo in that last non-boss area, but I would have probably figured it on my own too. For a moment I was confused about the end but I decided to check the start - good idea.

As for the author I did not have any solid guess. Reflecting on it I definitely see some elements of ack's levels. However, ack had been quite dormant for a while (well over a year I think) on these forums before he released his Lost Episodes mission packs in mid-October (and gave permission for his unreleased level around the same time). Still with all the dormancy I failed to detect he made a level (let alone two!) for this competition.

A Vacuous E'ning:
This is actually the first level I played. At first I thought the start was some kind of trap, but then I figured out what I must do. Fighting THREE bosses at once is quite stressful no matter what you're given, but it wasn't done unfairly. I like it, it's the Grosse family! At that time I didn't know yet, by the way, that this is the only MMC to date that has Spear of Destiny bosses allowed in it. The Officer zone is very tricky but if you detect the push-lamp by the bosses I don't think it's unfair, it just goes with the gut-busting hard theme of the whole level. No let up after that either, with the next area having Hitler and all, and a trap of enemies when you naturally go to retreat from him, but some critical supplies are behind that trap. And then with Adolf dead once more it's to the elevator...not quite yet! Indeed it's a fake as you still must take the teleport and fight the Death Knight to escape. This was a comparatively simple hide in cover fight though, but it still delivered the shock factor when I thought I was done. And it ended with one other feature I didn't know about - end level walk over triggers. All in all a very hard map that I thought was successful.

If any author was in my mind for this level, it was Arielus, especially with the symmetry areas and tight health/ammo pattern. However I wasn't willing to commit myself to it because though Arielus certainly wasn't as dormant as ack (not dormant at all, in fact), I didn't recall seeing any evidence he had a map in progress. This and ack's levels as well ought to teach me not to discount an author just because I don't see much participation in the thread!

Telekinesis:
Pretty obvious right away this is a concept level! And I liked the concept, as even though it wasn't as new after a while, it was in a way varied in its exact implementation enough to not get totally monotonous. I liked having a totally non-traditional level to play that focused more on brain than brawn. When I found out I use the walls to swipe bosses flat out dead, it was even more interesting - nothing like hearing all the bosses dying when I'm not even shooting! The last room can get monotonous because of the number of bosses, but it was redeemed to me because i just had quite the giggle hearing them all cry their death as I did nothing but stand under cover. I never envisioned a reasonable level with 83 bosses either! The sliding elevator was icing on the cake as it extended the concept even further out in its potential. But the main word I have to say about this level is it's unique, and IMO reasonably well executed at that. For the uniqueness alone, this is the level I decided to give a vote to. It turned out no one else voted on it, a bit of a shame if you ask me. I even though if this really catches on it could even be the winner, but Meet My Friends is definitely a good enough map to win and pretty likely a better level as a whole - just nothing touches the creativity of coming up with a brand new concept. If this particular concept and its uniqueness didn't captivate me so much, I would have definitely put my vote to Meet My Friends of the three I played, even though E'ning is quite a good adventure as well.

Given I know ronwolf1705 has tended to make rather original concept like levels for recent MMC competitions, it was pretty screamingly obvious to me this was his work. I can probably easily say my confidence was at least 90% on that. Even looking at (taking a little glance at) all the other levels now, there's no way I'd have been anywhere close to 90% in confidence on any of the other levels as to what the author was.
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:21 pm

Congratulations to ack!

And thanks to everyone for the comments on my levels, too. I was surprised to see that Switchback got a lot of votes. I was afraid due to the backtracking and needing to throw switches a second time.

@Arielus: "The section with the ever-moving black marbles guarding the silver key is a nicely-done challenge, too... I was sad to see a few wall clashes in this approach, though... "
You mean some of the pushwalls hit objects and stop? I thought I had corrected that. I'll have to play it again and see.

Sadly, I only played the first three before running out of time. I will drop a few comments on the two levels I played.

Interloper

I enjoyed the decoration and layout of this level and I thought the ambush when throwing the switch behind the blue door area was very well done. Good usage of guard stops, too. I kept waiting on guards to come around the corner in the long hallways, but they were too smart for that. Smile

Antartica

Wonderful winter environment. That was great. And having two Ubermutants activate at the same time was very sneaky. I barely health and ammo after the first and got toasted by the second.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 54
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:37 pm

I only got through 5 levels, hence the reason why I didn't vote, but I really enjoyed the levels I did play. I plan to finish them off soon then will provide some feedback.

@ Ron - you spolit things, I thought for a minute this was the 'names starting with the letter A' competition!! Lol
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:37 pm

I've finally finished the levels and to be honest I would of had trouble voting, for me, there was a good consistent level of levels but no obvious stand out.

I can see why Ack's level got a lot of votes but I wasn't able to complete it so it would of been a bit hard for me to vote for it. I really enjoyed some of the usage of glass and the creative layout but parts of it just seemed unnecessary to fill up the map to me (He wasn't the only one though!). I ran out out of ammo fighting the 4th Boss and just couldn't kill him to get the key to progress onwards. I liked 'Antartica' and 'A Vacuous E'ning' also but 'Vladivostok' just had me running around aimlessly for what seemed like forever, it took soooo long to complete that level.

Thanks to everyone that participated, I really enjoyed playing all of your levels.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:08 pm

The ammo is low in Meet My Friends but there is enough. The first time I played the level I had trouble because I was lulled into a false sense of security with all the ammo up for grabs, then was shocked after blasting it away on the first three bosses. Then I replayed knowing I must use ammo wisely, and it worked fine.

To the best of my knowledge out of all popular mods to date, only the last level of Deadly Sleep has as many bosses you must kill as Meet My Friends and A Vacuous E'ning do!
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Dean wrote:
@ Ron - you spolit things, I thought for a minute this was the 'names starting with the letter A' competition!! Lol

Haha didn't notice it before, that's funny.

As for Meet My Friends, survived that one with barely enough ammo. I can definitely understand that someone might run into trouble on that level.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:02 pm

I think with a little more ammo it could have got 5 or 6 votes but it's still a worthy winner. If you know to conserve, it isn't unfair at all.

I'm surprised however that A Vacuous E'ning and Telekinesis didn't get more votes. (The one and only vote for Telekinesis was my own.) Can't comment on any of the others - haven't played them. Still working through August '07 right now (second time I've played it, but it's worth it, especially to get the videos out, and there's still things I don't totally remember). Oh and I haven't even once played anything from the Anthology past September 2007 (stamina bar was killer for me).

DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks for all the comments on my little level.

Regarding some entries getting fewer votes than some folks had expected, I guess that is yet one more indication that you can never know for sure what the outcome of the voting will be here. What works for some sometimes doesn't for others, and vice versa. Personally, I very much like that ingredient of the MotM recipe...

Something that did take me by surprise this time was the low number of voters. It was a bit unfortunate that so few people had the time (some, why not, maybe even the willingness?) to play this and place votes. I am sure there must have been various reasons, all of them valid in their own right...

It's interesting to see that this is the second time we have ties in the podium, with two levels coming in 2nd and three levels coming in 3rd. First and last time we'd had that was in June 2007, when both ack's "Here Goes Nuttin'" and BrotherTank's "Deja View" came in 3rd. I guess that more votes would have probably prevented so many ties this time. Also, it's interesting to see that we've never had any ties with two or more levels coming in 1st...

Cheers,

Ariel

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:57 pm

Arielus wrote:
Something that did take me by surprise this time was the low number of voters. It was a bit unfortunate that so few people had the time (some, why not, maybe even the willingness?) to play this and place votes. I am sure there must have been various reasons, all of them valid in their own right...
I'd say the main reason is Vladivostok, which takes quite a great deal of time to complete; most people probably couldn't finish the map before the deadline. Having not completed it, one can't be 100% sure this map does or doesn't deserve a vote.
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Tricob wrote:
Arielus wrote:
I'd say the main reason is Vladivostok, which takes quite a great deal of time to complete; most people probably couldn't finish the map before the deadline. Having not completed it, one can't be 100% sure this map does or doesn't deserve a vote.

I understand that, Sir, even when this one map was my personal favourite in the package; it took me a nice deal of time to beat it every time I played it... To each their own, I guess... However, how can that in itself be the main reason why people didn't play the rest of the set and, as a consequence, didn't vote? Certainly, everyone -if not nearly everyone- knows that you can warp and that you don't have to play the levels in order, like you yourself said you did this time. They surely also know that even when they will probably not finish a certain level (and thus most probably end up not voting for it), they can still play the other submissions and vote according to what they liked of what they did get to play. Others have even claimed to have played only just a few levels and still did decide to vote for a level placed among those they did play...

Please let's agree to disagree... What you say may be one the reasons why we had the fewest votes, but I definitely don't feel the characteristics of this level were the main reason...

Cheers,

Ariel

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:41 am

I don't believe one level to be the main reason either.. there have been tough levels before. Just a general lack of interest, it seems, and combined of course with other valid reasons why people are too busy for this. At least during the first month of this thing's release.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 166

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:58 pm

I started playing this three days ago. I realize I was a bit late out doing so, but all the voting and who-made-what is, to me, uninteresting - I'm having a ball playing this set, great levels, all very different... Level 3 was cozy Ron... Loved the environment and the tricky secrets. I just reached Vladivostok. It looks like it'll be difficult, as most of ack's maps are... But I'm still willing to take the challenge, knowing that another entirely different level will follow. I'll find the time, I promise...
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Quote:
Level 3 was cozy Ron... Loved the environment and the tricky secrets.

Thanks! Smile The last couple of MotM sets had some great use of shading, which is an aspect I don't play around with that much. But that's what inspired me, and in itself the shading is sort of an enemy as well, which I liked the idea of.
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:46 pm

Tricob wrote:
Arielus wrote:

Gotta say, I don't always agree with Tricob, but he was spot on here for me. I played through to Vladivostok when the set came out and then stopped for quite a while after this, then things just got crazy busy at work etc. and I never got to finish all the levels off, therefore I didn't get my votes in time.

The level was just exhaustive and I just felt like I had to keep going over the same parts time and time again. It's one of those levels that makes you stop playing for the day because you just need a rest from playing Wolf. It just took me longer than expected to get back to the rest of the levels, and before I knew it the voting period was over.

I hope the lack of votes doesn't deter another competition.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:09 am

A thread for a new round has been set up, using the same set as before. Only change being that you can now set shading for when you've teleported.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Dean wrote:
Gotta say, I don't always agree with Tricob, but he was spot on here for me. I played through to Vladivostok when the set came out and then stopped for quite a while after this, then things just got crazy busy at work etc. and I never got to finish all the levels off, therefore I didn't get my votes in time.
If something goes wrong, I'm always willing to take the blame for it if there's a leigitamate reason to do so. In this case - relating to lack of votes for the set altogether - I think there is such a reason. In playing this map, it took so long for me to complete, I honestly didn't think I could complete the entire mapset before the deadline came. I then realized that many people don't have as much free time as I, and yet they'd still feel it's unfair if they voted before completing all the maps. With that fact in mind, I considered that maybe I should ask about extending the deadline. Your post about having not having completed all the maps should've told me to go ahead and ask. For whatever reason, it didn't. If my request was declined (After all, it's AlumiuN's decision), I'd accept it and move on. Smile

So with all these factors in play, rest assured that if a map as time-consuming as Vladivostok shows up in another mapset - and there's only one month to review all the maps - I'll probably ask that the voting deadline be extended. Because of my lack of action, I feel the maps as a whole didn't get a fair chance in the voting department. Sad
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:51 pm

I agree, there's no way I'm going to vote without playing all the maps. I strongly believe that this affected my chances of winning one of the earlier competitions by being last in a very long list of maps and people voting before thoroughly playing through every map. The map I made is still to this day, imo, one of the best I've ever made.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:45 pm

I bet I know what level you're talking about...and I'm not that far away from it either Smile

<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:59 am

MrWolfForever wrote:
I bet I know what level you're talking about...and I'm not that far away from it either Smile

You might just be right Wink
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Some late comments.

Vladivostok
Not a fan of the tree maze, but usage of enemy warping was great. Too bad the warp sound plays each time. I think I would have preferted a stream of action rather than huge bursts of extremely difficult sections. The atmosphere was great and very well decorated. I'm embarrassed to admit that I turned on God mode.

Ash Wednesday
Wonderful dark feeling and I really enjoyed the ending (warping into the hell area). That was particularly well done decor. This one had a bit of an old school feel to me while having a lot of the newer tricks (shading, explosive objects).

Meet My Friends
More skillful use of teleporting enemies. Another level with huge bursts of extremely difficult sections. Very similar tricks to Vladivostok. Nice atmosphere, but too tough for my blood! A gatling gun would have been nice to find! I turned on God mode to finish this one as well.

Heavy Machinery
The moving walls definitely keep you on your toes and those that are sectioned off are a nice addition and make the map feel less static Did this map really require the player to find a secret to progress? I think it did, but somehow that didn't bother me. I guess it was pretty obvious to find. Despite the additions of moving walls and warping enemies, this map also had a bit of the old school feel, which I enjoyed. Separating the different sections of the map while keeping them visible was nicely done.

A Vacuous E'ning
Heart attack central. Great level and well decorated, but man, this one scared the crap out of me starting off with all those bosses and just a pistol... then to warp and get toasted by SS. The levels was well done with its tricks, but I'm afraid I had to turn on God mode for this one. I'm just that bad at playing.

Telekinesis
I didn't finish this one. I played through it enough to realize that it was just beyond my ability with all the walls moving, well... flying everywhere. The concept was great, but I just couldn't manage it myself. I will confess that I only gave it a couple of tries. With some practice I might have managed.

I would have been hard-pressed to actually vote on three of these because I think all of the levels were top-notch, even if my playing ability is not.

A couple things I learned for myself:
- The new additions are cool, but I am definitely far behind using them and being used to playing levels that have them. I'm very old-school.
- I definitely need to decorate my levels more. Many maps in this had very beautifully done environments, both indoor and outdoor. Somehow I just couldn't visualize that for my own levels.
- Enemies can be teleported.
- I need to research how to use the "Pushwall through block" object code.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Dean wrote:
MrWolfForever wrote:

You might just be right Wink

I still have a couple very tough levels that could take me some time either way: BwaHaHaHa (the evil is there!) and Hot August Nite for sure. And unless I'm going to go baby (which for me is a no-no), I must to BwaHaHaHa on hard, as there are no skill settings.

I wonder by the way why you listed See Not Touch as the worst level in that contest. Blutbahnen is statistically the worst as it got zero votes. I understand the reasoning behind Chateau in the previous contest but here I doubt Tricob did anything that was actually offending or really undermined the whole gameplay (like Chateau has that ridiculous frustrating difficulty curve on hard and is only an average map otherwise anyways).

I will say I am a bit hit/miss with Tricob's maps. I'm pretty indifferent on Paths of Peril (it's okay but the one unit wide constantly winding corridors are monotonous), but I liked Retro Shapes.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:14 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

MrWolfForever wrote:
I wonder by the way why you listed See Not Touch as the worst level in that contest.
The map's main culprit is the mazey layout (in the largest, most complex area) and the map's high difficulty. It really taxed the player's patience when he constantly had to go in and back out every few squares, he had no idea where he was going, and everything looked the same no matter where he was.

Quote:
I will say I am a bit hit/miss with Tricob's maps. I'm pretty indifferent on Paths of Peril (it's okay but the one unit wide constantly winding corridors are monotonous), but I liked Retro Shapes.
I think Dungeon Remake is the best overall, though it is a bit scarce on the ammo. Retro Shapes is the oldest of the maps, though it's actually a redo of an old Shareware map I did way back in my first Wolf3D days.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: