DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Kurlandfront TC [SDL]
Page 1 of 4 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Tris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:55 am
   Subject: Kurlandfront TC [SDL]
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Kurlandfront
a Wolfenstein 3D add-on

Mitau, Reichskommissariat Ostland (Occupied Latvia), December 8th, 1941AD

It all began at Dunkerque. Between the 26th and 29th of May, 1940, the British Expeditionary Force of approximately 198,229 men along with 139,997 French and Belgian troops were massacred on the shores of France. Along the coastline of Dunkerque up to the Belgian border, thousands of dead soldiers lay with their faces in the dirt. The armies of Generals von Bock and von Rundstedt had run them over in three days' time, as the Luftwaffe levelled all ships of the British Royal Navy in the vicinity of the French coast, bombing any and all remaining resistance on the ground below. The loss of materiel on the beaches was huge. The British Army left enough equipment behind to equip about two divisions. With the utter annihilation of the BEF at Dunkerque, events in France unfold with dizzying speed. Germany's swift and successful occupation of France and the Low Countries gained control of the Channel coast; on the 23rd of June France surrenders after being fully occupied. With almost all of the RAF destroyed in northern France, the Luftwaffe gained total air supremacy. Daily, the Luftwaffe Stukas try to bomb the British Isles into submission, not breaking her morale. Thanks to the naval superiority of the British and their overseas Dominions, Britain is kept fed and supplied with weaponry. Churchill keeps hammering home the message of no surrender; the Isles are arming themselves to the teeth for the upcoming invasion that is rumoured to come. This stalemate between Britain and the Reich continued well into the spring of 1941.

On the 20th of December 1940, the Wehrmacht marched into the Eastern territories of Soviet Russia, coming close to a hundred kilometres range from Moscow in the following months. The Reich's territory now stretched from Brest in the most westerly point of France to Sebastopol in the East. After initial success, the Moscow offensive is paralysed by 20 degrees of frost and everstrengthening Soviet forces. South of Moscow, the advance German units reach Kashira, but are also halted. The Soviet offensive continues to win small victories in the Centre and North but fails in the South; all Soviet fronts have run out of resources – the offensive is over.
The Führer calls off the German offensive to focus instead on the invasion of the British Isles and orders the German Army to retreat to safer defensive positions. With the vastness of Russia and its demolished infrastructure making transport of new supplies and army material a hazardous exercise, the German war machine has come to a grinding halt. Nevertheless the Führer was optimistic - he believed he had all reason to be. Meanwhile, the newly-conquered Eastern territories were swept clean of dissidents and enemy soldiers alike by the relentless Gestapo and Sicherheitsdienst field police. The former states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania were combined in a Reichskommissariat Ostland, governed by the NSDAP administration as a whole.

On the 1st of September 1941 Hitler issued Führer Directive No. 16, setting in motion preparations for a landing in Britain to occupy the country completely. Bombing raids throughout the British Isles knock out most of the radar stations, and U-boats sink most of Britain's merchant fleet. Squadrons of Me 109s and 110s tear through the sky, bombing and strafing anything that moves. The only thing that makes the British people, led by an ever-determined Winston Churchill, hold out in these dark times, is the hope for an upcoming United States' declaration of war on the German Reich.

Meanwhile, agents of the Special Operations Executive in Istanbul have picked up intel about the German invasion of the British Isles through a vast network of spies in the Reich itself. By 1941 the German secret invasion programme has come close to being able to strike within a month's time. Having obtained German code and cipher material from the Wehrmacht's Heereswaffenamt, the OSS has been able to pinpoint the location where the mastermind behind the planned invasion of Great Britain has set up his base in Reichskommissariat Ostland. Lurking in an ancient castle in Mitau, Latvia, Reichskommissar Hans Grosse is working around the clock to finalise the plans for the upcoming invasion. The loss of this strategic mastermind will undoubtedly stall the Reich's invasion for months to come, making it possible for Soviet Russia to reconquer its territories and even open a window of opportunity for the United States to enter the war in a decisive moment. Reversely, failure to root out the invasion planners could mean the end of Britain and the civilised world as we know it. Time is of the essence.

This is where you, Captain Wilhelm Johann "B.J." Blaskowitz, come in. Your mission is to infiltrate the heavily guarded Nazi strongholds at the shores of the Southern Baltic to neutralize Reichskommissar Hans Grosse and turn the tide of war before it's too late. Earlier attempts to storm the facility have utterly failed. This means that the enemy is forewarned - not about the specific attempt, but about the general intention. All security in and around the premises will be in high alert. However, we have seen to it that in recent months none of our Allies have interfered with operations in Mitau. Having been born to West Prussian parents yourself, you speak fluent German and with five successful commando raids under your belt we think you fit the description of an expert in survival behind enemy lines. We trust you will find a way through the security checks and mechanical routines of the guards on duty.

The fate of the free world is in your hands. Your mission is so secret, in fact, that before leaving you will be required to sign a waiver signifying that you will take your own life should your mission be compromised. Also, should you be captured and taken prisoner, the government will deny any knowledge of you. For your mission to succeed, we have to ensure the utmost secrecy. Lastly, be advised that Hitler's decree that any commando or saboteur who falls into the hands of the Germans are to be handed over immediately to the Sicherheitsdienst (SD, Security Service) to be shot is ruthlessly enforced. Naturally, this should give you enough willpower to see the operation through.

Best of luck Captain, you'll need it.

Features:
Kurlandfront is basically a "touch-up" of TFS, a TFS 4.0 if you will under a new, less offensive name.
This means you will venture through new - and known - areas, working your way up to the 15th level for a grand finale.
The features added are basic and no shocker for most of you. I'll name some.

- 15 levels in Spear of Destiny-style (no mazefests)
    - 128x128 graphics, many made from scratch, all of which can be used for your own projects after release
    - Gun bobbing
    - Shading
    - Seamless level flow
    - floor and ceiling textures
    - "goobers" no longer required to cheat
    - use of 2 keys instead of the earlier 4
    - Spear of Destiny music added
    - knife is silent when attacking
    - bosses drop key when killed
    - 200 bullets
    - more wall textures
    - silver and gold key have their own locked door images
    - rocket launcher weapon with its own ammotype

the SDL EXE is currently being finalised, when it is complete new screenshots will be added.

This set is dedicated to Wolf Skevos Jones, whose relentless work for the Wolfenstein 3D Community made my Wolf3D editing heart beat once more.

Last edited by Tris on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:28 am
   Subject: Re: Kurlandfront add-on
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hessler86 wrote:
Due to my limitations in code editing, this will be a DOS-game.
Will the source code be available? I'm sure there are Wolfers out there that'd be able to port this in the future. Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:14 am
   Subject: Re: Kurlandfront TC [SDL]

Great looking screen shots, Tristan, and also quite an enticing story... I am a huge fan of The Final Solution from way back and always wanted to see more of your work - that said, the inner brat in me is probably crying out for an SDL port. But BJ Rowan did the same with his Desperate Measures project and it still proved popular.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:30 am

I looooove that last screenshot. Looking great so far! Thumbs Up
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:08 am

An ECWolf port of this looks like it could be done in a matter of hours, so I could take a crack at a Windows Vista/7/8 compatible version.

I always intended to port TFS 2.0 but I never got around to it.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:03 pm

This is really cool and exciting to me, I love these old school style sets as they remind me of why I got so into Wolf in the first place. On my to-play list for sure!

Also I'm a sucker for stories in 2.5D shooters so that was very well written. Smile
RichterBelmont12
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 97
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:19 pm

i can do this on SDL if i have the free time Smile

https://www.facebook.com/RichterBelmont123

https://twitter.com/Richterbelmont6
quartzdoll
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 1

india.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:12 am

After playing 100s of SDL wolf games on windows, making a game for DOS meaningless. it can play in dosbox but not as smooth as SDL version. please somebody make this for SDL.
Tris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:55 am

Well, if anyone is willing to make an SDL exe for me, I'd be delighted. Smile
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Tris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:57 am
   Subject: Kurlandfront add-on

Boy, redrawing the main menu can be such a pain in the @$$. But, I finally took the time to get it over with.
For this set, I'm taking up the suggestion of Andy Nonymous for a 'film noir' kind of feel, as you can see.
(might as well dub my add-on "Wolfy Shades of Grey", lol..)
Anyway, here's some fresh new pics for you guys.

Current status:
- Sound design 100% complete
- Level design 50% complete
- VSWAP 90% complete
- VGAGRAPH 90% complete
- Code changes 70% complete

Back to the drawing room... Razz

-Tristan
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:57 am

The graphics in this one are damn good. Too Cool
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:02 am

Damn I'm psyched! Very Happy
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:36 am

This looks fantastic! Mr Green
quartzdoll
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 1

india.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:34 pm

i am sincerely waiting for SDL conversion. Razz
RichterBelmont12
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 97
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:20 pm

I can't wait to play this one. Smile

https://www.facebook.com/RichterBelmont123

https://twitter.com/Richterbelmont6
Tris

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:16 pm

thanks, fellas.

Quick question: Is floor and ceiling textures a necessity these days? As I feel that somehow adding a "roof" to the levels makes them feel smaller. It almost gives me a claustrophobic feel, lol. Perhaps I'll just add floor textures and keep the ceiling colors... what would you guys do?
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Hessler86 wrote:
thanks, fellas.

Quick question: Is floor and ceiling textures a necessity these days? As I feel that somehow adding a "roof" to the levels makes them feel smaller. It almost gives me a claustrophobic feel, lol. Perhaps I'll just add floor textures and keep the ceiling colors... what would you guys do?

Personally, and judging by the look of this mod, standard ceiling colors would be just fine. But it's entirely up to you...
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Hessler86 wrote:
I'd say don't add the floor/ceiling textures unless the map doesn't seem to work without it. There are always going to be some sequences that work best with the textures, and those that work best without them. Don't be discouraged if this causes a map or two to make the "cutting room floor"; such "casualties of war" may find a second life in another mod, or even as a submission in the MOTM mod. Smile
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:48 pm

Hessler86 wrote:
Quick question: Is floor and ceiling textures a necessity these days?

Back in the day I thought they were, but by doing so I was missing out on a lot of good sets. As Tricob said somewhere on here 'Less is more'. Ceiling colors (and floor colors which seem to be a lot less common) can add a surprising lot in atmosphere, in combination with the wall tiles it creates a nice shift in atmosphere change from area to area. The same ceiling/floor texture everywhere if not applied properly can kind of ruin that effect, if anyone knows what I mean.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:49 pm

This looks cool and exciting! Just to top it off it'd be nice to have someone who can work on an SDL conversion after the release.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:41 pm

THERE! Finally finished those !$)!@)$*!)@#(*4 elevator textures! YEAH!
Took me about 6 redraws, but it's done now.

Anyways...
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Looking very cool, Tristan. Great to see you so committed to this. I am sure this is something most -if not all- around here are looking forward to playing once it's out.

Cheers,

Ariel

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Agreed, it looks wonderful. The steely elevators from The Final Solution v2.0 still look pretty good though... And the blue one you did for v3.0... Yeah, that was good stuff... But this is kicking it up a notch. Again - a huge fan of The Final Solution, never for a second thought you'd ever be back to make more... Looking forward to this even more!
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:11 pm

I love how it looks, wonderful! Smile
Tris

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 am

Thanks fellas! Smile
Would anyone be willing to convert my code to SDL?
I think it would help playability.
Thanks in advance! Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:44 am

I'd be willing to do that myself, but I need to get my compiler up and running first. If that's what happens before the day is done, I'll let you know. Smile
Tris

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:57 am

Hi Tricob, that'd be very nice of you!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Well, it's a non-selfish reason to get the compiler working on my end, so it's all good. Very Happy
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 103
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:24 pm

Mod looks very interesting - at least artwise. Very unique style.
Tris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:10 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tricob wrote:
Well, it's a non-selfish reason to get the compiler working on my end, so it's all good. Very Happy
Nice goin' man, I'll be hearing from ya. Smile
doomjedi wrote:
Mod looks very interesting - at least artwise. Very unique style.
Thanks for your kind reply, sir. In all modesty, I think what I'm doing is not unique - touching up original Wolf graphics and resizing nazi posters isn't exactly that hard. I just like my Wolf a little more 'realistic'-looking Wink
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 4 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: