DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

NEW Episode icon pics!
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Artists Archive View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 161
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:34 am
   Subject: NEW Episode icon pics!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Here's some Episode icon pictures I made using various resources:
Keep the Dogs Away
Interrogation
Sektenführer
'Neath the Abyss
Hecatomb

You may download what you see above, as well as some not seen in this post (One called Breaking Point, alternative versions of Interrogation and Neath the Abyss, as well as a Beyond Wolfenstein icon pic) here.

I post these hoping maybe some of you would like to make some kind of community project together where it is meant to be an expansion of sorts to Wolf/Spear that is meat to feel as if it were made in the early 90s by Id.

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:28 am
   Subject: Re: NEW Episode icon pics!
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well done, Gerolf. Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:02 am

Really loving the Interrogation one. There really aren't that many mods out there with changed episode icon pics...
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:10 am

Yes, very cool stuff!
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 54
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:46 am
   Subject: NEW Episode icon pics!

I really like the interrogation one. The dogs one is a neat idea, but its hard to see at such a small size. The well is, well... Great stuff overall though!

DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks guys! Here's the rest of the graphics that are in the ZIP file:

Breaking Point

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:02 am

Double post due to 5 image limit:

This is how they look in the menus:

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:28 pm

Yes please! This is another ego rant... But something about the episode pics takes me back to when I finally got a hold of the full version after playing the shareware version for a couple of years... The mutants you'd never seen before... Another Hitler pic... The skull and bones something/something... Episode 5 never did much for me, but the title did the trick, and of course the gas mask Confrontation pic. Wonderful stuff. That's where my mind floats when I see episode pics - such as the Interrogation one with the menacing guard and officer and the crazy SS guard. Love it. My current project uses seamless level progression, but my most recent release instates the MAC Episode pics which I hadn't seen until a few months previously. There I rekindled the love and the joy I felt when I first played the full version - finally seeing the pics with gray writing rather than green "no-go" lettering...

Community project with episodes... Yes please... Man, I always envisioned "Episode 7" through 12 with new scenarios and new stories. With Hitler gone, Himmler could rule the roost as the bad guy... And then model the remaining 5 bosses on actual persons, much as Fatface was Göring, Schabbs Mengele etc... Or I don't know. Making episodes unlocked over time in terms of completion could also strike up a hunger in the player to want to play more... But on the other hand, the impatient player might give up altogether... In either case - these pics are great and really light up a spark in me that makes me want to continue Wolfing for as long as I damn well please.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:30 pm

Thomas wrote:
Man, I always envisioned "Episode 7" through 12 with new scenarios and new stories. With Hitler gone, Himmler could rule the roost as the bad guy... And then model the remaining 5 bosses on actual persons, much as Fatface was Göring, Schabbs Mengele etc... Or I don't know. Making episodes unlocked over time in terms of completion could also strike up a hunger in the player to want to play more...

I always thought this would be awesome too. Beat the first 6 episodes, then keep scrolling down, and Episodes 7-12 would appear. I remember finding Castles 9-16 by accident in Clyde's Adventure that way and thinking it was the coolest surprise ever.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:04 pm

When I was a lot younger, I didn't perceive the game as a finite playground, so I was always trying to find some way to get outside of the game and discover some super-secret no one could ever find. I was fascinated by the idea of walking around in the landscape texture for instance, but discovering new episodes was high on the list as well. I was very stubborn and didn't give up easily, tried to find ways to walk past end game triggers without it triggering the animation for instance Laughing until I discovered Mapedit and subsequently found out that Wolf3D levels were limited to a 64x64 grid. It did take away some of the fun, knowing there was a limit.

Quote:
Community project with episodes...

That would be interesting indeed. I think the DHWTC sort of did it, but 6 completely new missions that both stay true to the original Wolf3D yet are their own thing, could be cool. New adventures.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Like imagine it to be Wolfenstein 3d, with very little code changes. New bosses, maybe some new enemies or something for certain episodes (like how mutants came in episode 2, officers in episode 3, etc).

It could be another set of prequel missions, or missions that take place in between the original 6. I do like the idea of some missions that take place after Hitler's death, but I think that would give too much freedom if it were a whole 30-60 levels and it would end up being more like a TC.

Himmler as a boss is an awesome idea. WSJ created a vanilla wolf styled Himmler boss for me to use in my SS add-on, that was very well made.

Anyways, if anyone's interested PM me and we could discuss setting something like this up. Maybe if at least 6 people wanted to work with it, each episode could have a unique storyline each participant would create (with the full story being decided upon by all participants).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:41 am

I'd like to use these icons for the new Dome design, if that's okay. Credit will be given, ofcourse.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:14 am

Chris wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Man, I always envisioned "Episode 7" through 12 with new scenarios and new stories. With Hitler gone, Himmler could rule the roost as the bad guy... And then model the remaining 5 bosses on actual persons, much as Fatface was Göring, Schabbs Mengele etc... Or I don't know. Making episodes unlocked over time in terms of completion could also strike up a hunger in the player to want to play more...

I always thought this would be awesome too. Beat the first 6 episodes, then keep scrolling down, and Episodes 7-12 would appear. I remember finding Castles 9-16 by accident in Clyde's Adventure that way and thinking it was the coolest surprise ever.

That's just it. The element of surprise... When at first you know how to use an editor, you lose an awful lot of imagination. It's almost as if iron bars of logic seal off the chamber where you hide those feelings of genuine surprise and awe.

ronwolf1705 wrote:
When I was a lot younger, I didn't perceive the game as a finite playground, so I was always trying to find some way to get outside of the game and discover some super-secret no one could ever find. I was fascinated by the idea of walking around in the landscape texture for instance, but discovering new episodes was high on the list as well. I was very stubborn and didn't give up easily, tried to find ways to walk past end game triggers without it triggering the animation for instance Laughing until I discovered Mapedit and subsequently found out that Wolf3D levels were limited to a 64x64 grid. It did take away some of the fun, knowing there was a limit.

I felt exactly this, spot on. The tiny purple portion of E2L5, for example... No matter how many times I completed that level, got the 3 x 100 % ratio and so on, I always thought there was something out there - a large, purple area which may lead to another level, if not a different part of the map. I always hoped for level 11 when I first tried E1L10... And yes, again, like you, when I discovered editors and the fact that Wolf maps are 64 x 64 and that's it, I was kind of baffled. It doesn't feel like a whole lot of room... But it is... Schabbs 2000 was like that for me... Tiny and intricate in an editor, but the first couple of times I played it, it felt like colossus upon colossus...

The Final Solution comes to mind... Like you I hoped that the landscape texture would warp me somewhere... Especially level 0, "Contemporary Insanity", which I to this day doubt is actually accessible, but I cheated my way there often and had a ball. Looking at it with 2015 glasses it seems so simple and dull and how on earth could that have been a pleasure? But it was. And a huge inspiration. Again - the more knowledge you gain, the less imagination you end up with.

Ron & I, we were probably the same age when we played Wolf and mods originally. I was 7 or 8 when I stumbled upon Wolf and was nearing 14 when I found out how to edit maps and graphics. Somewhere in between those ages lie an imagination that's hard to recapture... So, I don't know if some of the Wolfers here who were adults when they first started playing felt this. I have a feeling that people like AReyeP, ack, BrotherTank, Brian Lowe etc. had a much more mature and realistic picture of this and just enjoyed playing it as it's a pretty good game, and had fun modifying it which they all did brilliantly. When you're still in your formative years you tend to romanticize certain things, see things in a different and more naive light... This is why - I feel now (at last) - End of Destiny, Spear Resurrection, acktung, The Golden Episodes etc. have become those landmarks they have, as they were made by people who were well into their lives and knew what they were doing. Some of us were just goofing around and growing up throughout the process. I've learned an awful lot about life stuff from these forums.
Tris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:28 am

A community project would be cool.
A 128x128 hi-res version would be nice, maintaining the original feel (so no 'new' graphics, just touched up originals).
Would be open to participation.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Hessler86 wrote:
I'd like to use these icons for the new Dome design, if that's okay. Credit will be given, ofcourse.

Absolutely! Use them however you please!
Hessler86 wrote:
A community project would be cool.
A 128x128 hi-res version would be nice, maintaining the original feel (so no 'new' graphics, just touched up originals).
Would be open to participation.

I've thought about this too. It would be cool to see 8 sided versions of the guards. Most of the static objects have been made though, as has textures. So really all that's left is the enemy art.

And I agree with Chris, ronwolf and Thomas. Once you learned how to edit wolf, a lot of the mystery was lost, but even when I learned how to use Floedit and chaos edit I still thought there were ways to do things that were impossible without code changes (I made an arena level where all 6 bosses were there, but you could only kill the non death cam ones, once you killed the death can bosses the map ended). It's interesting to look back at how we imagined different things with wolf and sometimes I wonder what it would be like to implement these dreams.

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:12 pm

Personally I have done my best to implement dreams, as you said. I still have occasional dreams where Wolf plays a part, and though some are revisits from the past, new ideas keep creeping in... It's funny how you start mixing old dreams with new twists, e.g. a design I have tinkered with on and off for years and years suddenly got a new coat of paint after having played Eisenfaust Origins.
Tris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:23 pm

If the project really does come into being, I'd be willing to supply art. I'm not as keen on mapping as it is a hinderance for my own game Wink
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Yeah, from what I can gather via the Dome archives and correspondence, mapping was never your bag. Nevertheless, The Final Solution's maps made a huge impression on me. They were also stolen - some were - by a fellow called Kenny Roels who put out three mods: Dark Dungeon, Dark Dungeon II and Wolfenken. I think I encountered them there first... Nevertheless... I sense a little BJ Rowan inspiration in there... They were pretty entertaining. Not too huge, not too small... The constant presence of nighttime landscape and laboratory sprites inspires me to this day. Just so you know!
Tris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:57 pm

Really? Well, serves me only right. TFS was mostly a "BJ Rowan remix" effectively, and a poor one at that. Unfinished, unpolished, levels not updated as the features kept piling up and textures kept changing.
TFS 3.0 is a good example of that. Quickly whipped up levels. I'm currently working on better levels, in my own opinion. And yes, I still like the landscape texture placed behind a column, so that's definately going to be in Kurlandfront Wink
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Thomas wrote:
Personally I have done my best to implement dreams, as you said. I still have occasional dreams where Wolf plays a part, and though some are revisits from the past, new ideas keep creeping in... It's funny how you start mixing old dreams with new twists, e.g. a design I have tinkered with on and off for years and years suddenly got a new coat of paint after having played Eisenfaust Origins.

I have tried this also, though I haven't had much luck getting anything finished. Sometimes I come up with too many ideas, and then get overwhelmed and ditch all of them, only to come back to them later and this happens time and time again.

Hessler86 wrote:
If the project really does come into being, I'd be willing to supply art. I'm not as keen on mapping as it is a hinderance for my own game Wink

I've seen your art and it is very impressive, but personally I feel Ringman would be the one for the task of making the MAC/3DO/Jaguar guards into 8 sided characters. Afterall, he did manage to make a full rotationed Hovertank, and some Catacomb 3D enemies also.

Thomas wrote:
The Final Solution's maps made a huge impression on me.

I second this, and I also am looking forward to Kurlandfront.

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:44 am

Hey guys I just wanted to say I'd be willing to whip some storylines for any of these episodes if you guys need it. That's always been one element that makes a mod really cool to me: some kind of story, improves the sense of immersion. I could do basic, mission-oriented things (I served in the military for about 5 years, so I'd be able to bring some authenticity to those elements), like "infiltrate base, collect documents, assassinate bad guy", or even more fantastic (ie more fun), like maybe one episode could end with a surprise boss of a bulked up (traditional boss-sized) BJ clone, and some reason behind that. Or there could be a secret level that's like, the Nazis had done something similar to what the UAC had done many years later and found/constructed a door to hell, and it's essentially a Doom-esque, hell level where you fight demonized (or enslaved) versions of old bosses. Who knows! The idea is I would love to help with any storylines, and I don't mind working under parameters.

Last edited by Zach on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:05 am

I think the most important part of the storyline is that they stay true to the original tone-wise - pulpy, adventurous, playful.
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:53 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
I think the most important part of the storyline is that they stay true to the original tone-wise - pulpy, adventurous, playful.

Agreed. I like to imagine Wolfenstein could take place in the same universe as Indiana Jones--all of the above adjectives would apply there as well.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:28 am

I would love to hear some references to the Wolf 3D Guide Book or whatever that official thing was called, all I know is that BJ Rowan used some of the names from there for his Totengraeber mod... Castle Shattenspender etc... Awesome names...

Castle Höllehammer is the castle of the original Episode 2, right?
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:55 pm

In my mind this is what I picture:

- Keep the Dogs Away: An episode where BJ must infiltrate a Nazi base. This base is where the Nazis train their attack dogs. I know it sounds stupid, but the dogs would be more common than before. There will be practically hordes of them in these levels. BJ isn't there for the dogs, he's there to assassinate a key figure of the Nazi regime. It sounds really generic, but then again all first episodes generally are.

- Interrogation: At the end of the first episode, BJ is surrounded, and brought to a Nazi prison, where he is interrogated, he is in a heavily guarded facility. This episode could involve some stealth concepts that were cut from the original game.

I'm not so sure about the rest though, Episode 3 could involve Hitler again, perhaps Hitler was resurrected, or this is an earlier conflict against him, before Wolf 3d. He would look a lot like the Fake Hitler, only stronger and better drawn.. It would explain why there are fake Hitler's in the game. To trick BJ. Episode 4 would be in a tunnel system or something, and Episode 5 would focus on a very dark theme, the levels would be very gory. The last episode would be BJ in an all out war on the Nazis.

I also like the idea of Nazis, Hitler, the occult, and the forces of Hell together. The only issue is that the Doom sprites would have to be redrawn to match the Wolf 3d ones if enemies like the Baron of Hell were to be used or something. I also like the idea of a Helltrooper, which would be like the Waffen SS or something.

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:47 pm

gerolf wrote:
Keep the Dogs Away: An episode where BJ must infiltrate a Nazi base. This base is where the Nazis train their attack dogs. I know it sounds stupid, but the dogs would be more common than before. There will be practically hordes of them in these levels. BJ isn't there for the dogs, he's there to assassinate a key figure of the Nazi regime. It sounds really generic, but then again all first episodes generally are.

One thing I've never really seen: a dog-like boss. Did you play The New Order by any chance? There's a recurring enemy there that's basically a giant dog, probably genetically modified or whatever, but he's a pretty scary enemy. In fact, it would be cool to see one or two variations of dog-like enemies, not just a boss. Maybe Nazis or mutants that move and attack like dogs, 'werewolf' Nazis, that could be eerie and unique.

gerolf wrote:
I also like the idea of Nazis, Hitler, the occult, and the forces of Hell together. The only issue is that the Doom sprites would have to be redrawn to match the Wolf 3d ones if enemies like the Baron of Hell were to be used or something. I also like the idea of a Helltrooper, which would be like the Waffen SS or something.

Definitely, and Doom could just be one resource. Actually converting Doom graphics would be one of the easier things you could do as far as art goes, and there's a decent amount from SoD, useful as a thematic reference if nothing else.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:52 am

Zach wrote:
One thing I've never really seen: a dog-like boss.
I take it you haven't made much progress on Spear Of Destiny. Smile

Quote:
There's a recurring enemy there that's basically a giant dog, probably genetically modified or whatever, but he's a pretty scary enemy. In fact, it would be cool to see one or two variations of dog-like enemies, not just a boss.
Majik Monkee is a step ahead of you.
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Tricob wrote:
I take it you haven't made much progress on Spear Of Destiny. Smile[/quote]

Lol. Are you talking about the Angel of Death? Anyway he's more like a dinosaur. Which is pretty much a dog I guess.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:51 pm

The angel of death is a strange character. It's not really evil and in my opinion only looked evil to strike fear into the one who holds the spear. It challenges the player to see if they are worthy enough to hold the spear, with it saying "Prove your worth, human!" and then when it dies, "You may weld the spear". My only question is did the Nazis have to fight the AOD as well, or did they ensure nobody actually grabbed the spear with their bare hands?

I might be looking to deep into this but the AOD may actually be just that, an ANGEL of death.

So if an episode was made that involved the Nazis and Hell, the AOD would probably not be present (unless he was assisting BJ perhaps..) and instead, the Devil and demons would be there. It all depends how deep you want to go with it.

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:59 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

gerolf wrote:
The angel of death is a strange character. It's not really evil and in my opinion only looked evil to strike fear into the one who holds the spear. It challenges the player to see if they are worthy enough to hold the spear, with it saying "Prove your worth, human!" and then when it dies, "You may weld the spear". My only question is did the Nazis have to fight the AOD as well, or did they ensure nobody actually grabbed the spear with their bare hands?

I might be looking to deep into this but the AOD may actually be just that, an ANGEL of death.

So if an episode was made that involved the Nazis and Hell, the AOD would probably not be present (unless he was assisting BJ perhaps..) and instead, the Devil and demons would be there. It all depends how deep you want to go with it.

You're making me want to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark XD Remember when they finally opened the Ark and it unleashed angels that killed all the Nazis? What you're saying reminds me of that.

Maybe the first Nazis to discover and physically handle the Spear did indeed get teleported to that realm and had to deal with the Angel of Death. And being the strange mix of scientifically pragmatic and darkly spiritual that (at least the Wolfenstein version of) the Nazis were, perhaps they simply moved onto plan B, C, or D where they figured out how to handle it without having to go to the Angel's lair. Seems like there could even be some gameplay involved in a scenario like that. Use ECWolf to create a level where a bunch of Nazis are already in that lair, in combat with the Angel of Death and ghosts.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Artists Archive View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: