DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Tricob (finally) updates his computer's OS
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 165
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:40 pm
   Subject: Tricob (finally) updates his computer's OS
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Not Windows, mind you - just Ubuntu. I can always boot off of a DVD if something goes terribly, terribly wrong, so I should still be able to moderate regardless of the outcome. Smile

Been wanting to do this for a while, but I needed a large chunk of time to do it. My current version of Firefox keeps having problems with modern websites, all the Ubuntu programs I can run have bugs that the newer versions have fixed, I can't run my newer webcams and graphics cards because my current Ubuntu OS probably doesn't support them ... It's just *so* time to upgrade this OS of mine.

Wish me luck and a minimum of headache! Smile
Tris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:18 pm
   Subject: Re: Tricob (finally) updates his computer's OS
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Best of luck!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:58 pm

So far, so good; Ubuntu 15.04 has successfully booted from the hard disk. There's still a lot of reinstalls to do at this point.
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 36
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:35 pm

Firefox just sucks nowadays. It's horribly slow and unresponsive at times. Now, part of that may not be Mozilla's fault, but rather Adobe's Flash player, which has become synonymous with "crashing".
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:40 pm

I'm fine-tuned LibreOffice to start up faster, and I'm hoping to do the same with Ubuntu in general. LibreOffice now starts up so fast, I don't even have a chance to see the starting logo before the document displays itself. Very good to see. Smile

Re: Firefox. It probably is the fault of Flash Player - at least with the PC versions. I've run into lots of crashes that seem connected with Flash-exclusive content. Firefox is a bit slower than Google Chrome, but I use it because its layout is more convenient for me. Google Chrome also seems to run into compatibility problems with particular message boards and E-Mail services, so I'd rather just use one browser instead of bouncing back and forth between two of them. The exception would be Flash games, which I usually have saved in a folder and I can run separately instead of going online to run them.
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 36
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Opera is a decent browser, or at least I rather like it. It Uses multiple-instances to prevent it from bombing-out if flash or some other uncooperative plugin decides to puke. Has some nice features.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:04 am

I haven't looked into the Ubuntu version of Opera yet. I wasn't too pleased with the Windows version; key sites I visited every day simply didn't work right. That was several years back, though. Its speed was a very major highlight to me, at any rate.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:28 am

Well, it looks like WINE doesn't install on v15.05 of Ubuntu. It's been reported by several users, so this bug is in fact confirmed. The official release of v15.10 is October 22, so here's hoping the problem is fixed then.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:02 am

I'm using Portable Wine in Puppy Linux. I wonder if Ubuntu has something similar, to avoid relying on an installer/integration.

Congrats on the upgrade Tricob. How do you like Ubuntu 15.04 compared to your previous version overall?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:45 pm

Chris wrote:
I'm using Portable Wine in Puppy Linux. I wonder if Ubuntu has something similar, to avoid relying on an installer/integration.
There's no report of a portable WINE for Ubuntu, but that's only according to Ubuntu Software Center. It's possible you can install one from the Terminal if you find the proper commands online, so I wouldn't rule that out. Smile

Quote:
How do you like Ubuntu 15.04 compared to your previous version overall?
The experience has been a mostly positive one; the newest update makes the OS operate much faster now - even more so than Ubuntu 11 to Ubuntu 14. The one quibble I have with it is that you can't right-click the files window and tell it to change how it re-sorts things. This feature appears to be selectable only through the menus, so - in that instance - there are more steps required than there were before. So, whenever I want to have it sort out the files by Date or Extension, I have to go to the View Window and select the Sort method from there. I suppose I wouldn't mind this so much if there was a keyboard shortcut for this *or* I wasn't so awful with the mouse devices. Sad

And yes, I like Puppy Linux myself. The only reason I don't use it with this machine is that its high-end hardware seems to be feeding Puppy bad data regarding the USB ports; I've not once gotten the USB-operated mouse devices to work in Puppy for this PC, nor have I gotten the USB keyboard to operate, either (though I use a PS/2 keyboard unless it's absolutely unavoidable, so my USB keyboards are currently collecting dust).
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:45 pm

[sighs] Should I even have bothered? v5.10 of Ubuntu is out now, and chances are it just might fix the problems I have with WINE right now. As of this date, SH support for WINE still doesn't work in Ubuntu 15.04.

It seems most of my internet-based problems seem to stop occurring in Firefox when I turn Flash support off ... so they might've gotten fixed whether or not I had Ubuntu upgraded. On the other hand, VirtualBox - among a number of other things - just wasn't going to work with the Ubuntu version I had. So I suppose that's something. At any rate, when I upgrade again, I can give people feedback on two versions of Ubuntu instead of one.

You win some, you lose some. Razz
Matthew
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 94

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:34 pm
   Subject: Tricob (finally) updates his computer's OS

Make sure you have Flash disabled unless you're using a site that requires it.

In the past, when I had it set so it was enabled by default, I had a LOT of problems with websites running extremely slowly and freezing. And I'm using a fairly high-performance machine (an i5-4440). When I set it so Flash was disabled by default, all those problems went away.

Set it so that Flash is disabled unless the user gives explicit permission for a particular website in a particular browser session.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:18 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Thanks for the feedback, Matthew; that's how it's set up now. Smile Nowadays, I use Flash mainly for some games I have saved on the desktop. There are a handful of games you have to play online, such as Criminal Case (on Facebook).

And I eventually got a version of Puppy Linux working that has more up-to-date Ubuntu drivers. Everything works, but it's not quite as user-friendly as the version I tried before. If I change OSs again, I just might go to Linux Mint and chuck Ubuntu altogether. But I'm a bit too tied up programming to do it now. Smile
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: