DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Things about Wolf you didn't notice for a long time
Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:03 pm
   Subject: Re: Things about Wolf you didn't notice for a long time
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The way the game is coded, the enemy isn't supposed to even attempt to attack you unless it "sees" you through CheckLine. So my fix would affect their behavior in numerous circumstances.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:12 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Reminds me I only recently (2014) discovered enemies can see and shoot you through corners of walls, thankfully the player can do the same.
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:40 pm

I think I never understood why things were coded so that when you turned around on your own axis, you could see into angles you couldn't see without turning. Like, say you're at the edge of a wall corner and you know folks are coming at you to your left - you can start turning right and you'll be able to see how many baddies are headed your way... Hopefully I am explaining this right...

I remember this not being the case in, say, DOOM... You'd turn around to face a different whatever and the span of view would remain... It seemed more realistic to me for me reason...

Cheers,

Ariel

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Arielus wrote:
I think I never understood why things were coded so that when you turned around on your own axis, you could see into angles you couldn't see without turning. Like, say you're at the edge of a wall corner and you know folks are coming at you to your left - you can start turning right and you'll be able to see how many baddies are headed your way... Hopefully I am explaining this right...

I remember this not being the case in, say, DOOM... You'd turn around to face a different whatever and the span of view would remain... It seemed more realistic to me for me reason...

Cheers,

Ariel

In Wolfenstein, the camera is actually slightly behind the player - this can be rectified by putting the camera at the exact same spot as the player, but doing so can cause graphical glitches when against a wall. I haven't figured out exactly why this causes glitches, though; most likely a result of an optimization somewhere.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:54 am

I like to call that corner spying 'peeking'. I don't use this 'mechanic' as much as I used to but it can still come in handy sometimes if you're paranoid of what's around the next corner. My patience is pretty low these days though, so I usually just sidestep quickly around and blast whatever's there.
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 35
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:45 pm

Arielus wrote:
There's a (one and only?) version of the game where BJ's clothes are brown and not grey. I forget which exactly, but memory says shareware version 1.0?

Cheers,

Ariel

I just noticed tonight that in shareware version 1.1, BJ's uniform is grey when he's holding the pistol, but his uniform magically turns brown when he's wielding the machine gun.
Ubermutant
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:12 am

I dont remember when I found this out, it was ages ago
The Ubermutant's attack deals melee damage when you are directly adjacent to him.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:39 pm

Ubermutant wrote:
I dont remember when I found this out, it was ages ago
The Ubermutant's attack deals melee damage when you are directly adjacent to him.

It does? I always thought the knives were for show. That's interesting.
fraggeur
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 11

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:31 am

Yes that's true but not for the standard mutants. Somewhere (maybe in P Olstad website) was a tutorial to also apply that to base mutants.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:45 am

I found out that in the small Wolfenstein font an identical set of digits appears twice, with the only difference being that the second set is monospaced and the first one is not. The second set is used on the scoreboard to list scores and episode numbers, but not level numbers for some reason.

On an unrelated note: Trans Grosse's sight sound being self-referential ("A SPELLING MISTAKE!"). I don't know whether it would be more or less hilarious if it was intentional. (But if it was intentional it wouldn't be self-referencing anymore)
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2

france.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:26 am

Military >> Nice find !
linuxwolf
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:49 pm

Its a cheap hack to give the scene ambient illumination.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:06 am
   Subject: Things about Wolf you didn't notice for a long time

While I wouldn't call this something I never noticed about Wolf3D the 3D Maze screensaver from back in the day always reminded me of Wolf3D:
stathmk
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 73
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:52 am

Cyanosis wrote:
While I wouldn't call this something I never noticed about Wolf3D the 3D Maze screensaver from back in the day always reminded me of Wolf3D:
I remember that! Do you have a download link so that I can use it again?
stathmk
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 73
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:15 am

I did some searching & I had found links:

Windows 98 Maze:
http://markk-b.tripod.com/downloads/w98maze/w98maze.html
GMOD - Windows 3D Maze Screensaver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdXr9ruCETE
3D Maze Screensaver: The Game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSdxpP65gg (I'll watch it later)
Brothersoft version with different textures:
http://www.brothersoft.com/3d-maze-screensaver-70057.html or
http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/0/3d_maze_screensaver-70057-3.jpeg
This says that there are some glitches for Windows 7:
https://www.screensaversplanet.com/screensavers/3d-maze-461/
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:50 am

I just discovered that you can quickly move between help/end text pages by moving your mouse. Neat.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:34 pm

I just noticed that the name you enter for your high score doesn't actually have a character limit, instead, it actually has a width limit! I have never seen something like that before.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:49 pm

There's also a width limit in Spear Of Destiny's copy protection scheme. Because of this, most "backdoor" passwords like "bite me" won't fit in the password window. Only one bypass answer works consistently, and that bypass has been posted in numerous places in the internet (which I'm not going to post here).
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:29 pm

AlumiuN wrote:
Cyanosis wrote:
I also noticed how powerful the pistol was, sometimes killing the regular troops in 1-2 shots point blank, it's one of my favorite handguns I've used in a shooter game.

The knife is kind of crap, though - a point-blank shot with a gun will do 4 times more damage on average, and even a long distance shot (if it hits) will do 2.66 times as much damage on average. Having said that, on one of the older MMC maps I ended up killing Schabbs and Fatface with it (and a lot of save scumming), so it's not exactly useless Razz

Here's a cool video of Schabbs being killed with the knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjeKtfcbgU

I agree that the pistol in Wolf3D is way more effective than the pistol is in most modern shooters, which is really as it should be. In more difficult mods with really tight ammo, I have found myself using the pistol because it's really the best thing to do in situations where every bullet counts.

As for things I didn't notice, I've played Wolf3D for over two decades but have always used the keyboard only and never got the hang of using the keyboard and mouse together in this game until recently.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:21 pm

Barry wrote:
As for things I didn't notice, I've played Wolf3D for over two decades but have always used the keyboard only and never got the hang of using the keyboard and mouse together in this game until recently.
I can't really say I enjoyed Wolf3D using anything besides the keyboard. You keep having to go back to the keyboard anyway just to use saved games and such. Although I have read numerous posts of people who actually enjoy using the keyboard and mouse together while playing the game, I think that needless complicates things. I like the gameplay simple and straightforward.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:42 pm

Tricob wrote:
Barry wrote:
I can't really say I enjoyed Wolf3D using anything besides the keyboard. You keep having to go back to the keyboard anyway just to use saved games and such. Although I have read numerous posts of people who actually enjoy using the keyboard and mouse together while playing the game, I think that needless complicates things. I like the gameplay simple and straightforward.

I much prefer using WASD and mouse for controls where I can, but it is admittedly annoying to have to go back to the keyboard to have any chance of navigating menus Razz
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:53 am

Barry wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:
Cyanosis wrote:
I also noticed how powerful the pistol was, sometimes killing the regular troops in 1-2 shots point blank, it's one of my favorite handguns I've used in a shooter game.

The knife is kind of crap, though - a point-blank shot with a gun will do 4 times more damage on average, and even a long distance shot (if it hits) will do 2.66 times as much damage on average. Having said that, on one of the older MMC maps I ended up killing Schabbs and Fatface with it (and a lot of save scumming), so it's not exactly useless Razz

I agree that the pistol in Wolf3D is way more effective than the pistol is in most modern shooters, which is really as it should be. In more difficult mods with really tight ammo, I have found myself using the pistol because it's really the best thing to do in situations where every bullet counts.

Knife is definitely weak but unlike Doom's fist it can make anything but a Mutant/boss's pain chance trigger 100% of the time, so you can save ammo against say an SS if you don't think your pistol is going to kill them in 2 point blank shots (or you won't risk it because of other hazards present). It's also the best option against dogs if you can get them to go through a narrow passage, stabbing them one by one.

I guess since all guns do the same damage the pistol being the slowest/semi-auto must jump the RNG around way higher/lower more frequently than the machine gun and chaingun which can result in killing enemies in 1-2 hits depending on who it is and if they're aware of your presence or not. The other guns just don't do it enough. The Mutant is the hardest enemy to kill reliably with the pistol without taking too much damage but sometimes it's possible to get them in two shots before they get any shots off themselves, so long as they're taken by surprise.

But the machine gun is easily the most balanced fire-rate/ammo consumption and damage-wise against most threats that arise, even decent against a Hans-style boss in a pinch. The chaingun is more powerful but sometimes I think it is a bit weaker oddly enough when Guards can survive a burst (2 shots) that'd normally kill them if it was the pistol and it's easy to run out of ammo with it when using it against single enemies too often which leads me to believe it is most effective when used against a larger/stronger group or bosses only.

This lead me to believe that all weapons are surprisingly balanced and serve a purpose.

The mouse and keyboard for me personally is infinitely preferable but I can potentially rock the keyboard so long as WASD is movement, E is use, left alt is run, and shift is strafe and ctrl is fire. Otherwise the mouse takes care of the shooting and strafing and more fine-tuned movement.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Cyanosis wrote:
The Mutant is the hardest enemy to kill reliably with the pistol without taking too much damage but sometimes it's possible to get them in two shots before they get any shots off themselves, so long as they're taken by surprise.
I used to be flawless when it came to toasting a Mutant with a pistol. The thing is, shooting down a Mutant with a pistol - and doing so without taking damage - requires extremely repetitive button-mashing at a certain, constant speed. If you get agitated, excited, or impatient, you'll "lose the rhythm", and you'll be taking in damage in record time. It is possible to pull it off consistently, but it certainly isn't fun to do.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:20 am

Tricob wrote:
Cyanosis wrote:
The Mutant is the hardest enemy to kill reliably with the pistol without taking too much damage but sometimes it's possible to get them in two shots before they get any shots off themselves, so long as they're taken by surprise.
I used to be flawless when it came to toasting a Mutant with a pistol. The thing is, shooting down a Mutant with a pistol - and doing so without taking damage - requires extremely repetitive button-mashing at a certain, constant speed. If you get agitated, excited, or impatient, you'll "lose the rhythm", and you'll be taking in damage in record time. It is possible to pull it off consistently, but it certainly isn't fun to do.

I've been able to manage a small group of Officers with only a pistol, so long as they are handled single-file, these are good skills to have when you're playing a tougher set and/or don't have access to better weapons.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:10 pm

Yes, exterminating a group of Officers with a pistol is far easier.

Back on-topic, something I hadn't noticed for a while is that the texture of the stones for "Grey Stone 3" is different on the "dark version" than it is for "Grey Stone" 1 and 2. I suspect that the graphics were supposed to be updated for all three Grey Stone types before release, but it never was. So, which texture is the newest - the Grey Stone 3 texture or the Grey Stone 1 and 2 texture? My guess is 1 and 2, but I guess I'll never know for certain.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Today I found out that E3L10 and E5L10 are the only levels completely devoid of pushwalls.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:47 am

Somehow I didn't remember this area in Spear of Destiny at all:

I didn't realize the "weapon storage" mapping idea was ever used in the original levels.

By the way, I think this was been the first time I've seen a machine gun on this playthrough, not counting the ones dropped by SS. They really could've replaced half of those gatling guns on the maps with machine guns...
Ipank7000
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
indonesia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:41 am

I notice that there are different "series" of demo in different version of Wolf3d. The one series has (And what I'm familiar with) E4L3, E5L3, E5L5, and E6L6 and another one (which I'm not familiar) has E4L8,E6L7 and I don't remember the rest 2 level.

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:30 pm

I think the first ones you're thinking of are the Apogee original and the latter the Activision release?
AstroCreep
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 14
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The fact that the mutant has a hand coming out of its chest holding a pistol rather than a rifle implant. Mind BLOWN
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: