DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

What are your mapping habits?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:51 am
   Subject: What are your mapping habits?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

- the majority of my secret areas are behind marked walls - with flags, cracked bricks and so on. Unmarked secrets are pretty much only present if you can see the secret area from outside. Also unmarked secrets are more common inside other secrets, especially if the secret offers a pretty low reward.

- one particular secret in Wolf's E4L5 got stuck in my memory, and now any alcove with brown utensils on my level has a very high chance of a secret behind it.

- I always make gatling guns really rare, about as hard to find as 1ups, at least on earlier levels. In episode 1 of March Of The Army, the first one can be found on E1L5, in a pretty counterintuitive secret. In episode 2 it's E2L4, and in episode 3 it's E3L5. In all three cases at least one 1up secret appears earlier. In the first three episodes, there are actually no non-secret gatling guns ever, even on boss levels (Though E3L9 has mandatory secrets so it doesn't count). This may be rather excessive now that I think about it, but I really like having such a super secret item. Episode 4 is just as bad in that regard, but at least there's a non-secret gatling gun on E4L9. Only Episode 5 is more merciful in that regard, with relatively easy chaingun secrets in the first three levels, and non-secret ones from then on. Then again, this is the hardest episode with Grosse clones making regular appearances from level four onwards.

- I usually have the skills increase difficulty very linearly, with 2 guards and 3 officers becoming 4 guards and 6 officers on skill3, then 6 guards and 9 officers on skill4 and so on. But I spread them in various, unrelated places, so it's mostly unnoticeable.

- the rooms and hallways I make tend to be larger than in Wolfenstein? I didn't notice it until others pointed it out, but it does seem to be true.

I can't think of any other consistent habits I would have. I always try to do something new, and I don't quite understand mods like Nazis With Attitude where certain map layouts are VERY reoccurring. It just feels weird to me that someone would choose to make a room that is nearly identical to a few other rooms.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:14 pm
   Subject: Re: What are your mapping habits?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Off the top of my head, here's my habits:

- Avoid having a Pushwall right next to a "marked" wall like an eagle poster or a Hitler portrait, as - IMO, at least - seeing the picture visible from all four sides distorts the illusion that the pictures are placed on the outside walls and no place else.
- Make sure every room is marked in a way that you can tell which side of the room you're at; don't allow any corners and/or ends of the room to appear exactly the same. Use debris on the ground if all else fails.
- Hide at least one Difficulty One enemy behind a Pushwall, as this keeps the player from accidentally scoring 100% Kills if he's been wandering around in circles.
- If there's a locked door, and its key can only be found behind a Pushwall, make sure that locked door is behind a Pushwall as well.
- Make sure the map can be completed if you start the level out with a Pistol and 8 ammo.
- Aside from Fake Hitlers, no more than one boss should appear in each map. The exception would be an homage to the original E6L10, or a Megaman-style replay of the game's bosses.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 162
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:02 pm

Okay here's mine..

-Mutants and soldiers should not be seen together. When I put mutants in maps with guards, I always put the mutants in spots that the guards cannot access by normal means.
-I made this mistake in SSCL, but I am against it! If you have a pushwall, don't put an object in its path, as it looks weird. It makes it seem like the wall would crush the object, so put objects out of the way of the pushwall's path, UNLESS you use the gray wall with vent texture, or something similar, because that is more believable as there is an opening (it works well with keys and treasure items).
-I like to use a lot of attack dogs in my maps. They're underused in many level sets in my opinion.
-I try not to use the food items too much in office areas or dining rooms, etc. I always viewed them as food on the floor for prisoners. Though if you're not thinking of realism with the set, then this doesn't really matter.
-I love to make outdoor locations for the player to view.
-When I use both keys in a map, I like to make it to where the player will have to travel from one side of the map to the next, making the map feel less linear. I also put guards in a floor code that gets triggered near the key, that guards behind the locked door will also get alerted, and they will come out of the locked door and when the player heads that way he will be ambushed.

That's all I could think of for now.

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:24 pm

gerolf wrote:
-I made this mistake in SSCL, but I am against it! If you have a pushwall, don't put an object in its path, as it looks weird. It makes it seem like the wall would crush the object, so put objects out of the way of the pushwall's path, UNLESS you use the gray wall with vent texture, or something similar, because that is more believable as there is an opening (it works well with keys and treasure items).
I admit I follow your method as well.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:55 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I now noticed that in March Of The Army I almost never use 1 unit wide corridors outside secrets. The only major exceptions are E2L5, E3L5 and E5L2. E3L5 is just one big gimmick, and the other two are homages to other people's maps.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: