DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

A weird little flash non-port of Wolfenstein 3d
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:28 pm
   Subject: A weird little flash non-port of Wolfenstein 3d
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

http://www.silvergames.com/wolfenstein-3d is Wolfenstein 3d, the same but different!
It can make the first episode of Wolfenstein (or maybe more, but I don't think so) a new, fresh, challenging experience!

Here are some notable features:

AUDIO AND VISUALS:
- The main textures (grey brick, blue brick, red brick, wood etc) are replaced for some unfanthomable reason. They're not high res or anything. So maybe it's about avoiding copyright? Hahaha, no.
- No decoration textures (flags, cells etc) are replaced. It's not like it would clash with the new textures. Especially considering that the new blue brick is a recolor of new grey brick. Which is a recolor of the new red brick.
- the door textures are replaced too. Except the locked door textures, because whoa now, let's not go overboard, shall we?
- All the floors are pretty and shiny.
- one NEW soundtrack! It's approximately five seconds long, it seems.
- a NEW item pickup sound! Yes, one sound. Hey, it's not a bad sound, why would you want to not hear it anyway?
- a new door opening sound. Only one sound... but in the original game, there was only one door opening sound too! Gotcha!

IMPROVED CHALLENGE:
- the enemies are clever and stealthy now! They only begin attacking when they see you. They are always silent until you kill them. Then they have one scream.
- the enemies might drop ammo sometimes.
- no mouse! Also, no strafing... no, wait, that's not right. If you extend your finger all the way to PageUp button, you can strafe. Right. Not right as in correct. There is something that doesn't seem right... it's like something was left out... like the ability to strafe... left...
- no saves! To compensate, restarting gets you a machine gun with 30 bullets (on later levels and/or after collecting as much, didn't test it thoroughly). To compensate further, the punishment for running out of lives has been slightly reduced, from failing the whole game to respawning with three lives. And a machine gun with 30 bullets.
- the gatling gun was... significantly tweaked, shall we say. You won't see that coming.
- Did you run out of ammo because the guards hardly ever drop it? Too bad. How are you planning to fight without ammo?

REALISM IMPROVEMENTS:
- The dog food now restores a realistic amount of health.
- Key-collecting is made more realistic. You don't see the key hovering constanly in your field of vision after you pick it up in real life, right?

MISCELLANEOUS:
- this port features a message about animal rights! Here, all the dogs are friendly and don't try to hurt you. But if you choose to kill them anyway, you'll find out just how much we have in common with animals.
- pushwalls work like doors now. Or, to be precise, they work like doors when the developer doesn't forget to put them on the level to patch the very non-secret holes. HINT: half of the time, the secret wall's textures are flipped. That's actually a neat indicator that would make pushwall searches much less tedious... it was obviously done on purpose. HINT 2: If the extraneous door sides have no right to be where they are, you can just walk right through them.
- okay, so we need to code the damage now, right? So first, let's factor the dista-FIVE. Okay. Fair enough. So we'll just randomi-FIVE. Got it.
- you remember that glitch in Spear of Destiny, or something, where the enemies could walk through each other? Were you jealous of them? Well, be no more!
- the elevators are now better and more functional. Exactly three times more functional.
- one great new feature is that you will never miss a level! That is, you will always play through all the levels before finishing the game! Like, you will get the full experience! In this particular port, you have it guaranteed... I mean... okay, fine, we removed the secret level. Shut up.

I had to quit by level 5, and then I didn't feel like playing through it all again. Anyone feels like playing and finding out what awaits at the end? My bet would be that it just displays "the winner is you" after level 8. But who knows... play it, just to see if you like the new gatling gun replacement.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:48 pm
   Subject: Re: A weird little flash non-port of Wolfenstein 3d
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The control in this one drove me nuts. The motion keys keep sticking all the time, and it really kept me from enjoying the game. The only way to keep them from sticking at all is to avoid using the motion keys when you open a door or shoot at an enemy. It may be a Flash-version issue.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:30 am

Well, I guess I finished it. And I expected some stupid ending, but I didn't see that coming.
THERE IS NO HANS GROSSE SO YOU'RE STUCK FOREVER

Also, here are some other "features" I'll note for posterity:

- Here's what they did with the gatling gun: They replaced it with a VASE. The regular vase object, blocking at all. So if there are any goodies blocked by the "gatling gun", too bad.
- No knife either. If you're out of ammo, you just can't fight.
- the SS soldiers only fire once instead of four times as usual. And I don't think enemies having hitpoints is even a concept in this game, so they're basically just a cosmetic variation.
- alright, you CAN strafe, both ways... with the Home and PageUp buttons, respectively.
- keys don't appear on HUD.
- dog foods restores nothing.
- dogs just approach you and jump, never dealing damage in any situation. They scream like soldiers when they die.
- you can walk through any enemy now.
- elevators now all have three switches.

Last edited by Military on Sun May 21, 2017 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 161
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:24 am

I remember this, and I also remember it was once slightly different. It used to use the games original textures and had pushwalls. Then the author updated it, and changed the textures, and made the secret walls into door like walls. Everything else was pretty much the same though.

Topics: 91

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:21 pm
   Subject: A weird little flash non-port of Wolfenstein 3d
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

A terrible port.

Here's one thing I've noticed: With the original E1 L3, at one point, there is a pushwall that goes to the south edge of the map, which is only 2 tiles away. In the original Wolf3D, it never moves farther, because the "tilemap", "actorat", and "spotvis" data repeat out the north and south sides (shifted one tile to the side), so the tile behind it is just a gray stone wall. But in this port, since the pushwalls act as doors, it will not fill the gap in the wall and you will be able to see outside the level. It will just be an infinitely large room, except for a wall that you will be able to see if you look west (turning right so you can look as far west as possible). That wall is just slightly outside the level; I don't know why it is there.

This is not the only Wolf3D port that has problems with this. With this HTML5 port, that pushwall will go out the side of the level and disappear. You will then be able to see outside the level, and the graphics will be messed up.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: