DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

I have high functioning autism
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Joshua
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 156

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:57 am
   Subject: I have high functioning autism
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I wanted to share something personal with you people on here. I have high functioning autism, also known as Asperger's Syndrome. I spoke at an autism conference once to give families that have family members with autism hope.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 162
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:57 pm
   Subject: Re: I have high functioning autism
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

That's nothing to be ashamed of. I have several friends with this condition and I didn't even know until they told me. They're some of the smartest people I've met.

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:33 pm

That's what I was diagnosed with as well. It was brought upon by complications at birth supposedly, but my mother was a smoker at the time of my birth, and I've read that can also contribute to such things.

I seemed to develop normally after a certain number of years, so I suspect I suffered temporary damage rather than permanent (If that's the case, then that rules the smoker thing out).
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:56 pm

I also have high functioning autism and I was as healthy as could be when I was born. For me it's just that I learn new things slower than most, takes me longer to digest heavy new information especially. And am just generally not too social to boot. But other than that I'm fine.

E: Hmm, since I'm the third person to admit this I wonder if there's a correlation between high functioning autism and strong interest in Wolf3D? A lot of high functioning autism people really like Minecraft, and I can see some similarities. Not just the 90 degree angles but the creative process that goes into constructing these worlds and the attention to all the little details and overall appreciation for the simpler forms of art.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:05 pm

I'm on the spectrum too (got diagnosed at age 3), Richter Belmont, Havoc and Officer Michael-John are also on the spectrum... At least from what I've heard. It comes as no surprise. I suppose the rate is even higher in anime, World of Warcraft etc. forums.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:17 pm

Cyanosis wrote:
E: Hmm, since I'm the third person to admit this I wonder if there's a correlation between high functioning autism and strong interest in Wolf3D?
It certainly didn't apply to me, as I actually didn't like Wolf3D when I played it for the first time. I played v1.0, which in all honesty I still don't like. I was also playing it on a 16 MHz 80286 PC, I didn't know I could shrink the window size, and I had no sound card at the time. I didn't really get into the game until a number of years later, when I saw my father playing the game. He always kept getting himself into the most amusing predicaments. Smile
linuxwolf
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:30 am

I'm pretty sure I have it too. My mother smoked when I was in the womb for a while. She confessed it to me when I was young. I didn't understand why she was crying at the time. But I do now. Smile

I have a history of depression and social anxiety which I continue to manage as best I can. I make a living as a software developer. I am highly introverted but I am slowly improving in that area and improving my relationship with people.

I would agree processing new and varied information is hard for someone with high functioning autism. I would suspect such a person is better at processing structured information such as program code or mathematics.

I find it extremely difficult to navigate and drive in new areas. The new stimulus is too much for my brain to absorb and I quickly become emotional. It takes a lot of effort to refocus on the task at hand.
Tris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:00 pm

Wow. Seems like the Wolf community can truly be your home away from home!
Very cool that everybody's open minded and open about this.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:44 pm

Tris wrote:
Wow. Seems like the Wolf community can truly be your home away from home!
Very cool that everybody's open minded and open about this.

Agreed! It just goes to show that no matter who you are or what you may deal with, you're never alone in it. Very Happy
RichterBelmont12
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 97
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:33 pm

Yes I also have Asperger's Syndrome but unlike most people its not that high functioning as most people are, it only high functioning when i'm around people I don't know or women (sides my girlfriend who understands me). I do Studder on words but doing Let's Plays helped me to be more social a lot.

https://www.facebook.com/RichterBelmont123

https://twitter.com/Richterbelmont6
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2

france.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:34 am

Very interesting indeed and very courageous to speak about this. Smile
I do have some autism symptoms. I have never been had any diagnostic about this however, never been tested either.
I'm really nervous and unconfortable when I'm with more than 3 people in the same room.
I tend to isolate myself a lot. I have no problem with assimilating a lot of written text information fast.
I struggle a lot more with oral communication.
What I have is more similar to a lot social anxiety.

Last edited by Ginyu on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Ginyu wrote:
Very interesting indeed and very courageous to speak about this. Smile
I do have some autism symptoms. I have never been had any diagnostic about this however, never been tested either.
I'm really nervous and unconfortable when I'm with more than 3 people in the same room.
I tend to isolate myself a lot. I have no problem with assimilating a lot of written text information fast.
I struggle a lot more with oral communication.
What I have is more similar to a lot social anxiety.
From the people I've known with such a problem, the symptoms aren't as bad on a full stomach as they are on an empty one. I don't know whether the same applies for you or not. I'd say try it out in a circumstance where you have nothing to lose if you leave the scene.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:39 pm

From what I've read of the symptoms of Asperger's and autism, I don't think I have either (although I do get quite bad social anxiety around groups of people I don't know). One of my best friends, however, has rather severe Asperger's, and he's very high functioning (he works at a local network equipment company writing firmware, or as he referred to it once, 'bugs', for switches and routers) and also extremely intelligent. It certainly seems from experience that those on the autism spectrum tend to be quite intelligent.
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

france.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:24 am

Quote:
I wonder if there's a correlation between high functioning autism and strong interest in Wolf3D?

At this rate, it's quite difficult to imagine there is not...

Quote:
I would suspect such a person is better at processing structured information such as program code or mathematics.

This is quite interesting, it would explain the struggle with social interaction where there is nothing structured.
You can understand almost everything about a code.
On the other hand, social interaction is theory and theory about what the other think and feel.
I do take quite an interest in psychology too as it makes everything more confortable for me to use as it puts concepts in boxes. I do get frustrated on the fact that it never goes deep enough in the analysis.

Quote:
I find it extremely difficult to navigate and drive in new areas.

I have some problems with that too, but it's nothing next to when I drive in a really crowded area.

Quote:
From the people I've known with such a problem, the symptoms aren't as bad on a full stomach as they are on an empty one. I don't know whether the same applies for you or not. I'd say try it out in a circumstance where you have nothing to lose if you leave the scene.

Interesting, indeed !
Just yesterday night, I had to go to a parent meeting for a new school.
I was insanely inconfortable at first whereas everyone was friendly.
After we ate, I was a lot better.
I'll try it out, thanks for the tip !

Quote:
It certainly seems from experience that those on the autism spectrum tend to be quite intelligent.

I think there is a lot of forms of intelligence and for most part, we deal better in concentrate for long intellectual tasks.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:23 pm

OT -

Ginyu wrote:

I do take quite an interest in psychology too as it makes everything more confortable for me to use as it puts concepts in boxes. I do get frustrated on the fact that it never goes deep enough in the analysis.
You'll probably find references go more in-depth when you select what type of psychology you're most interested in.

My personal interest is in social psychology.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:17 am

I was diagnosed with Asperger's as well, though today I have overcome most of the issues I dealt with because of it. It was far more evident when I was a teenager. I still do have some social issues though depending on who I am around.

Social ineptness sometimes comes with the territory of Aspergers syndrome but I sometimes wonder how much of that is actually because of the syndrome itself, or the fact that children who have it are generally shunned or ostracized by their peers for being "different" which creates self-esteem issues and social anxiety.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:53 am

I personally try to not to label and categorize people this way, and am against it. The reason why psychology is so general (and should be) is because there's so many exceptions or variations, so making any assumptions about someone based on certain characteristics is setting yourself up for misinterpretations, better just to ask them something you're not 100% sure. It's called the asperger/autism "spectrum" because it's not really a set difference, but more like saying someone likes playing soccer 30% of the time so they are on the high-functioning soccer spectrum. You can label people based on anything, or not. Doing it for me seems like dumbing your brain down to the level of monkey (which you must do to get a degree in psychology, or law, in my opinion, which is why people over a certain IQ can't be a security guard or police officer because they would be able to see "beyond" the shallow rules they enforce). Most importantly though, do you like pineapples on your pizza? Just my two cents.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:22 pm

Chris wrote:
I personally try to not to label and categorize people this way, and am against it.
I'm all for medical innovation, and labelling things does help in many circumstances, but there are many, many times where posting a name on something creates more problems than it solves. I believe the best approach is to gather as much information as you can on something before making a diagnosis. No, you can't do that when a life is in jeopardy, but I'm talking about situations like autism and everything else. I admit that tests and all shouldn't drag on for too long, but I believe modern U.S. medicine has gone too far in decreasing research time and jumping straight into a diagnosis that's probably terribly inaccurate. But that dives into another topic altogether. Smile
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

france.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:50 am

Tricob >> Social psychology is a bit unheard in UE, I'm looking into it thanks ! Smile

Quote:
children who have it are generally shunned or ostracized by their peers for being "different" which creates self-esteem issues and social anxiety.

From what I understood of the NPA personality theory, this is supporting this.
The NP type is associated with successful persons on the autistic spectrum (including those with AS).

Label and categorize people can be a great tool because it can serve as a basis to understand people better.
I really feel like I understand myself better reading those. Like the fact that on NPA personnality, i'm a close match to N-P type.
Still, like any tool, if overused, it becomes a problem because it's a concept, it's a simplification.

It can also be used by some people to discard their responsabilities.
Schools for example have a tendency to throw "Dyslexia this", "Dyslexia that" to throw the blame on the student instead of itself.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:05 pm

As far as the field of medicine is concerned, I don't think labels themselves are the problem, but rather that sometimes they're used when it's not appropriate. Doing so killed the credibility of diagnosis regarding Multiple Personality Disorder, which is now referred to as Dissociative Identity Disorder.
Havoc
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 7
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:35 am

Chris wrote:
I personally try to not to label and categorize people this way, and am against it. The reason why psychology is so general (and should be) is because there's so many exceptions or variations, so making any assumptions about someone based on certain characteristics is setting yourself up for misinterpretations, better just to ask them something you're not 100% sure. It's called the asperger/autism "spectrum" because it's not really a set difference, but more like saying someone likes playing soccer 30% of the time so they are on the high-functioning soccer spectrum. You can label people based on anything, or not. Doing it for me seems like dumbing your brain down to the level of monkey (which you must do to get a degree in psychology, or law, in my opinion, which is why people over a certain IQ can't be a security guard or police officer because they would be able to see "beyond" the shallow rules they enforce). Most importantly though, do you like pineapples on your pizza? Just my two cents.

I rarely share that I'm on the spectrum, because I see it pretty much the same way as Chris does and I don't like pineapples on my pizza Razz

DieHard SS

Topics: 73
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:46 am

Julia has autism. Last Sundayís 60 Minutes talked about the autistic muppet Julia who will be on Sesame Street. I watched the entire episode in the 1980s where Big Bird is in denial that Mr. Hooper died. 60 Minutes didnít notice or didnít care to mention that the South African rendition of Sesame Street has a muppet child with HIV or AIDS according to my college Sociology textbook from over 10 years ago.
I linked to 60 Minutes overtime: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/julia-sesame-street-new-muppet-autism/
Lingyan203
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:54 pm

I have also been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. As for myself, I'm pretty social and quite an extrovert. There's no need to be ashamed of having it.

Despite the fact that I'm very outgoing, social, and an extrovert, I still can have social problems and anxiety issues depending on who I'm around and what the situation is.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:43 am

Lingyan203 wrote:
I have also been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. As for myself, I'm pretty social and quite an extrovert. There's no need to be ashamed of having it.
Well said. Being ashamed of something you're born with is flat-out unhealthy, and such shame is a benefit to no one.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:28 pm

I have some autistic qualities as well, something (not too heavy) along that direction.
I don't like changes as well, alot of time deep inside my thoughts not seeing what's around me, love repeatative tasks and actions...

Moreso, and it's not a new thought to me - you can't IMHO be loyal and repeat some an old game if you don't have something of that matter.
Love for the known, nostalgic, simplistic, repeatative.
stathmk
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Apparently, there might be an Asperger's Syndrome and empathy gene:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/study-confirms-a-gene-linked-to-asperger-syndrome-and-empathy
In the comments section, somebody said that he thinks that those with Asperger's Syndrome have more empathy. J Danson in the comments section posted a list of people including Abraham Lincoln that might have had Asperger's.
stathmk
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:46 pm

So I had read this https://www.madinamerica.com/2017/08/virtual-autism-explain-rising-asd-diagnoses/ and it links to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-eIdSE57Jw . I watched Anne-Liseís video with English subtitles.

I donít believe all of the video. Michelangelo, Jane Austin, and other people were later believed to have Autism-like symptoms before television. Is it a fact that these kids are Autistic or are some deaf? Psychologists have to rule out deafness before Autism.

First of all, there are some genetic disorders that come with autism. In Fragile X syndrome, they are missing 25 genes out of the genome of 30,000 genes. Their faces look a little different. In Williams Syndrome, the autism must be genetic because they look a little different. In Prader-Willi Syndrome, they are missing a chromosome or certain genes canít function. Prader-Willi Syndrome is a disorder where they are autistic and have an insatiable desire to eat because the stomach doesnít send a signal to the brain to stop eating. I know a man in his 30s who was born blind with his head shaped differently and heís on the spectrum, so it might be genetic. Thereís a disorder where itís epilepsy that comes with Autism, but I donít know if I should call it genetic or if itís caused by a seizure that makes brain damage.

I sometimes say that Aspergerís Syndrome should be called Aspergerís Trait because with the right diagnosis and appropriate treatment it seems be outgrown. They are some of the smartest and most empathetic people I know. I donít know Japanese. Thereís a disorder or 2 in Japan that sounds a little bit different than Aspergerís or conventional Autism described a little differently in Japanese psychological and cultural terms. I had a schoolmate in America from India. He also visited Japan. I asked him if Japan is the most intense culture that heís been to and he said, ďYes.Ē

I had heard that moms who smoke while pregnant are more likely to have kids with ADD or ADHD, but I donít know if thatís the same with Autism.

Some Autism might be Failure to Thrive Syndrome. There was a Greek king or Egyptian pharaoh that thought that all babies are born knowing Greek, a certain kind of Egyptian, or another language. We could argue about the specifics because I donít remember his name. So he had servants kidnap babies from their parents, servants changed their cloth diapers, and not speak to them to see what language they would speak. All the babies died. Itís Failure to Thrive Syndrome. I donít know if a modern baby had Failure to Thrive Syndrome if the neglecting parents were junkies addicted to heroin, meth, or another drug, instead of interacting with the baby. In the summer of 2001, I saw articles and possibly the 60 Minutes episode about Failure to Thrive Syndrome in Romania and Russia. In Romania and Russia, they had more babies in understaffed orphanages then they could take care of appropriately. Some of the babies were almost warehoused to the point where they almost couldnít go to the bathroom. I donít think that they were more likely to be blind than the general population, right? But a news reporter stood next to the crib and you could see in his eyes that the boy was watching the news reporter. But Iím not quite sure if this is Autism. Or at least thatís the way it was in Romania and Russia in 2001 and in our 2001 Psychology textbook. Then September 11th happened and orphanages werenít the biggest news anymore.

As far as electronics, I had heard that some electronics like alarm clocks and other devices that plug into the wall might generate an electromagnetic field. The electromagnetic field might or might not cause the brain to regulate the wrong amount of the hormone melatonin, which might cause a sleep disorder. But I donít know if the electronics will also disrupt a hormone and trigger Autism.

I want to keep the TV on at some times when Iím home without worrying about autism. Sometimes emergency notices are on the TV. I live in the Midwest and I want to know if thereís an emergency notice for a flood, tornado, thunderstorm, or fire. Programs might be interrupted for important news about a mass shooter, Amber Alert, Adam Alert, or terrorist attack.

Thatís my 2 cents.
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:56 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

For the last month I've been trying to write a response to contribute to this thread. But all of my attempts, each time pages and pages in length, I never felt like I said what I was trying to. So, for whatever it's worth here's a few sentences:

Yeah.... I've never been diagnosed, because I can't afford the luxury of one, in all of the meanings that can imply. But of what I know and read, if I am, I've been thinking for a while that I may be, it help would explain a lot of the issues I've had and still continue to have.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: