DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[ECWolf] Wolfenstein Missions - First Encounter released
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:56 am
   Subject: [ECWolf] Wolfenstein Missions - First Encounter released
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

First Encounter download (1.9 MB)
Requires Wolfenstein 3D v1.4 to play.

STEAM WOLF3D
1. Install Wolfenstein 3D from Steam to your DEFAULT Steam directory.
2. Unzip the contents of the zip file into a folder of your choice.
3. Run the batch file to start the game.

ORIGINAL RETAIL/REGISTERED WOLF3D
1. Install Wolfenstein 3D from diskettes or CD (or piracy, whatever) into a folder of your choice.
2. Run Blzut3's patcher to ensure your copy is the most up to date variant of v1.4. This is a MUST for Apogee-distributed versions, they will not work otherwise!
3. Unzip the contents of the mod as above, but into the same folder as your Wolfenstein data files.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXvBoCo1UE
Video of level 1-2, "Office Space".

This is something I've been thinking about doing ever since I did my ECWolf Classics conversion of Second Encounter--a 34-level (30 normal + 4 secret) mod inspired by the Mac Wolfenstein level progression and using gameplay elements from Coffee Break. The 30 levels in the main progression would be divided into six units, each with a boss enemy (and unlike most mods, each boss will have unique behavior and require different strategies). While most of my mods can be very difficult, especially on skill 4, this mod's difficulty curve is meant to resemble a retail game and be accessible even to people who have never played Wolfenstein before. The levels start out short, easy, and simple, and will gradually get longer, harder, and more complex over the course of the campaign, adding new weapons and gameplay elements--the final unit will probably have a difficulty level similar to Spear of Destiny.

The First Encounter is now available for download, containing the first two missions, with nine levels out the planned 34.

Story
It is the year 1943, in the darkest hours of the Second World War. You are William J. "B.J." Blazkowicz, a spy working for the American OSS intelligence service. While investigating a rumored German chemical weapons program in occupied Lithuania, your cover was blown and you were arrested by the SS and sent to the notorious Castle Wolfenstein, in the Bavarian Alps. Once owned by Bavarian nobility, Wolfenstein is now a prison where Allied spies are interrogated and executed.

You have been imprisoned in Castle Wolfenstein for twelve days. You have overheard orders from your jailer, Oberst Hans Grosse, that you are to receive "special measures" to loosen your resistance to questioning. You see a guard coming towards your cell, but whatever he has in store for you, you have no plans to find out. As he opens the cell door you fling yourself upon him, crushing his windpipe with your hands. As blood pours from the now limp guard's mouth and nose, you take the knife and pistol from his body. You listen carefully--no one seems to have heard you.

Most assuredly, however, they will inevitably come looking when the dead guard fails to report back. You survey your loot from the guard. His uniform is too small for you to wear, but you fit into his boots. Boots, a knife, a pistol, eight bullets. Enough to kill two guards, maybe three. Your act of desperation has sealed your fate. If the Nazis see you, they won't give you a second chance.

Your mission is clear. You must escape from Castle Wolfenstein, or die trying. The enemy will be out for your blood, and you'll need every means at your disposal to kill them before they kill you. As you load the pistol, you think to yourself that you signed up to be a spy, not a one-man army.

Guess there's a first time for everything.

Features:
* Seamless 30-level progression with four secret levels and Mac-style segmented level numbering (so level 17 would be labeled 4-3).
* Six missions that follow one after the other, each with its own architectural theme.
* All the new weapons, enemies, and mechanics from Coffee Break--bolt-action rifles, flamethrower Nazis, and more!
* A "drip feed" of new enemies, weapons, textures, and gameplay mechanics that keeps gameplay evolving throughout the course of the mod.
* Much tougher and more powerful dogs.
* Four keys: gold, silver, bronze, and iron. The silver key only appears starting mission 2, the bronze key starting mission 3, and the iron key starting mission 5.

Levels:

Mission 1 (levels 1-3): Castle Wolfenstein
During your investigation into Nazi secret weapons research, you were captured and imprisoned in the dungeons of the notorious Castle Wolfenstein. You must make your way out of the dungeons, through the keep, and out the main gates to escape. But beware--Colonel Hans Grosse, your jailer, isn't about to just let you walk out the door!

Mission 2 (levels 4-8 ): Underground Complex
Now that you are free from Castle Wolfenstein, you must pick up the trail and infiltrate a secret Nazi chemical weapons facility on the Baltic coast. Find and destroy the Nazi chemical rockets before they can be used on the Allies, and assassinate the project's head, General Gottlieb Totenauge, to ensure the project stays dead for good.

Mission 3 (levels 9-14): Assault on Hollenhammer
Rumor has it that secret biological experiments are being conducted on the dead in a facility beneath Castle Hollenhammer, deep in the Austrian Alps. Explore Castle Hollenhammer and find the bunker entrance. But some of the "experiments" may be waiting for you...

Mission 4 (levels 15-18 ): What Lies Beneath
The secret elevator in the heart of Castle Hollenhammer has led you here, to the secret laboratory of Dr. Schabbs. Four floors filled with deadly traps and monstrous horrors stand between you and the evil doctor himself. Kill them all and bring an end to his plans!

Mission 5 (levels 19-25): The Fuhrer's Eyrie
Allied Command has located Hitler somewhere inside a bunker complex called the Adlerhorst (Eagle's Nest) beneath Castle Kransberg in Kransberg village in rural Hesse. Infiltrate the complex, storm Castle Kransberg, and find the entrance to Hitler's bunker, which is guarded by none other than Klaus-Gustav Ritter von Wetterau, known more commonly as der Totenritter (the Death Knight), Hitler's personal bodyguard and the most feared warrior in the Third Reich. Good luck--you'll need it.

Mission 6 (levels 26-30): A Cornered Rat
You have penetrated into Hitler's private bunker, the most fortified place in the entire Reich. The Fuhrer knows you're coming, so expect to face the very best troops Germany has to offer. And who knows, maybe even Hitler himself will have a surprise in store...

Secret levels (levels 31-34)
These hidden treasure vaults can be accessed from secret locations in Missions 2, 3, 5, and 6. Millions of dollars worth of gold and other loot have been stored in them--but they're also very heavily guarded.

Last edited by Executor on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:34 pm
   Subject: Re: [ECWolf] Wolfenstein Missions - First Encounter released
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've watched part of the first level, and I have some feedback that I hope will be helpful.

First off - I *love* the circular overhead you use in these maps. The wooden barriers and other flat sprites are used very well in your maps. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the mod comes out when you release it.
Second - I'm sorry to say it's a bit *too* obvious that the sounds for Weapon #3 are used from another source (The difference in Treble, mainly). It's not too hard to fix, though. If you will, I'd like you to PM me a link to some WAV copies of the sounds, and I can correct these for you.
Third - You might add a quick note in the video that the game has an "overhead map" feature. When it first appears, it looks like a video-related glitch.
Fourth - The design of the maps - from what I see right now - appears to be flawless. There are a lot of sequences that could easily lose their transition from idea to map structure, but it isn't happening here. Good work. Smile
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:20 pm

This definitely looks like a solid set and am looking forward to playing it when it comes out. As Tricob said, I love the circular overhead. Also cool that you are basing this on the Mac version, which isn't done all that much (I honestly have never played the Mac version).

There is also definitely a niche out there for mods that are of a difficulty that assumes that the player isn't a Wolfenstein player and slowly increases difficulty. A lot of people today are caught off guard by the controls and the amount of damage the enemies do per hit compared to modern shooters (though ECWolf really helps bridge that gap, at least in terms of the controls).

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:26 pm

I'm not actually basing it on the Mac version, I took inspiration from the Mac level set.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 165

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:43 pm
   Subject: [ECWolf] Wolfenstein Missions - a 34 level Mac-inspired mod

Will all levels be brand new layouts and stick to 64x64 canvas?

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:53 pm

Yes to the former. Most levels will be 64x64, some levels in units 5 and 6 may be 72x72 or 80x80 depending on how I feel about it when I get there.

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:38 pm

Level 2-1, "A Dark Passage". How many mods make you wait four levels to meet your first SS and get your first machine gun?

This room got toned down because while it's perfectly doable, forcing the player to run straight into the middle of a room with two guards, four riflemen, and two SS (they couldn't be lured out) and take them all out quickly without getting slaughtered in the crossfire might be a bit much to ask from a newbie. Now this room has openings in the gauntlet entrance so the guards can be led out of the room:

(I expect all of you veterans to still charge straight into the room and Rambo them like a real man Very Happy)

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:13 pm

Level 31, "Purpura", the first secret level. The secret levels are much harder than the regular levels, and much closer to the difficulty of Coffee Break. They also introduce new gameplay elements before the regular level progression, so this level has officers, mutants, and the bronze key:

DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:15 pm

Purple's one of my top three favorite colors, so it looks like that map is right up my alley!
fraggeur
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 11

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Nice pinky kingdom
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:32 pm

Someone really likes Wolf Overdrive Very Happy You can't go wrong with purple, really. Smile
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:11 pm

Screenshots of the level 8, "Missile Command". This will be the last level of Wolfenstein Missions First Encounter, hopefully due out next week!

The second mission's boss, General Gottlieb Totenauge. If you think he looks like a pushover with that single pistol of his, think again. They don't call him "Deadeye" for nothing!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:29 am

very nice! I can't wait to play purpura!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:28 pm
   Subject: Re: [ECWolf] Wolfenstein Missions - a 34 level Mac-inspired

Executor wrote:
The second mission's boss, General Gottlieb Totenauge. If you think he looks like a pushover with that single pistol of his, think again. They don't call him "Deadeye" for nothing!
So it's like blasting a housefly with a bazooka? Smile
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:36 pm

He hits with perfect accuracy and is immune to damage dropoff. If he shoots and has line of sight to you, not only is it guaranteed to hit, but it will hit with same damage as a guard shooting you at point blank. Distance and movement will not protect you--you have to get in cover immediately when you see him raise his gun.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Executor wrote:
He hits with perfect accuracy and is immune to damage dropoff. If he shoots and has line of sight to you, not only is it guaranteed to hit, but it will hit with same damage as a guard shooting you at point blank. Distance and movement will not protect you--you have to get in cover immediately when you see him raise his gun.

Awesome!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:18 pm

He sounds deliciously terrifying. Too Cool Thumbs Up Beer
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:14 am

First Encounter is now available for download, check the OP.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:06 pm

Since there is already First Encounter for Mac, maybe it should be called First Encounter remix or something to avoid confusion?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:21 pm

I would say yes, but that's strictly a recommendation on my part, not a request.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Glad to see this has been released. I helped playtest this and its a VERY solid set, especially in the second unit. Also, the secret level is a must find. I really enjoyed it. One thing that stands out about this is how good the progression is and also the variety. The early levels are easy, but this is aimed at people who are new to Wolf3D and FPSs in general, which is a surprisingly large number of people. The difficulty turned up pretty quickly though in the second unit.

New features, like switch-operated doors, the new rifle, and the two new enemies fit in so well this feels like an extension of the original game. I highly recommend it.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:41 am

I might actually drop the difficulty a bit in level 5, I played the other night while distracted and tired (thus tanking my situational awareness and reflexes) and got my ass handed to me. It was humiliating to get my ass kicked by myself. Sad

Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:43 am

Is there a way to eliminate the hit wall sound in ECWolf?
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:59 am

Yes, you just need this line in SNDINFO:

::: CODE :::
world/hitwall NULL

https://www.sendspace.com/file/apnlfp Here's a pk3 you can load after any of my mods in the command line to silence the hitwall sound.

Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks. Don't know if I confused it with the space bar sound, it's just that when searching for secret doors you tend to get fed up with the constant buzzing.
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:30 pm
   Subject: [ECWolf] Wolfenstein Missions - First Encounter released

Updated 9/5/16:

* Minor tweaks to all maps.
* Difficulty reduced (guards removed) in levels 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, and 2-5 to smooth out the difficulty curve.

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:18 pm

I now have a complete Death Incarnate video playthrough up on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmKcW4BmHgGChgzIqmRRL37ziFOytdGyy

Note that this is the original version, many of the harder fights in this mod had their teeth pulled for the revised version. As much as it pains me to neuter awesome battles like the opening to "Missile Command", it had to be done to ensure the correct difficulty curve. The first unit, "Launch Base", and "Purpura" are the only ones that didn't get any guards cut.

Bring 'em On

Topics: 1

czechrepublic.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:38 pm

A gamesave at the beginning of the level 2-3 makes the game crash everytime I try to load it, which means I'm likely to lost all the progress I've made so far...
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:37 pm

Does this problem still happen when you disable the music?
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:42 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Kumano wrote:
A gamesave at the beginning of the level 2-3 makes the game crash everytime I try to load it, which means I'm likely to lost all the progress I've made so far...

If you get a crash, send the minidump to Blzut3. Just saying it crashes is not helpful.

E: You should also send Blzut3 your saved game so he can try to replicate the crash. Coders need as much information as possible to deal with crashes, as they can happen under very obscure circumstances or only on certain hardware/software configurations. If you're using a 64-bit executable and don't get a crash report, switch to a 32-bit one as the error handling code has problems in 64-bit builds.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: